VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 17920 of 52699, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow! I had no idea. I figured all of this stuff would have been replaced by newer stuff by now.

My computer was from a forensic lab and thanks to Cyrix200+'s link, I'm finding other listings. I'm pretty sure this card still works, everything else does, so maybe someone will buy it. I'm cleaning it up first! 😀

Reply 17921 of 52699, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

I've got a networking-like card which has a 386 mounted on it and is only used by professionnal and that is sold apparently for 750 to 1k$

Since this used by professionals only, I'm not surprised

show please

Reply 17922 of 52699, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finding a buyer will be hard since it is so specific, but you should try!

So how does that AGP work? I can figure out how to put a card in, the backplate would hit the motherboard right? Of am I just not seeing it right?

MCGA wrote:

Wow, they want like 800 bucks for that! 😖 I don't have that cable, but I'm going to see if there's any software on the HD. I wonder if there's really a market for this thing given it's so old?

It's an AGP slot. I was confused about it at first, but it's listed as such on the side panel and also labeled on the board. And there's a removable back plate for the VGA port. 😀

digital_5000_agp_port.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 17923 of 52699, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:

Just won this board listed locally:

It's an XT clone running at 8mhz with co-processor. V-tech Laser Turbo II.

All you need is a 1980s case for it to go in - that's the hard part!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 17924 of 52699, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mrau wrote:
Deksor wrote:

I've got a networking-like card which has a 386 mounted on it and is only used by professionnal and that is sold apparently for 750 to 1k$

Since this used by professionals only, I'm not surprised

show please

I need to find where did I put this card first ^^

But I remember seing an ebay sale with somebody selling 5 of them at 750$ and having sold 2 of them already

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17925 of 52699, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
brassicGamer wrote:
tikoellner wrote:

Yeah, being in the business for more than a year now I now that finding a nice, period correct case is the hardest part. But in this case I think I will go with some diy case. I could use this board in my IBM XT case, but removing the original board would constitute a sacrilege.

Reply 17926 of 52699, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
tikoellner wrote:
brassicGamer wrote:
tikoellner wrote:

Yeah, being in the business for more than a year now I now that finding a nice, period correct case is the hardest part. But in this case I think I will go with some diy case. I could use this board in my IBM XT case, but removing the original board would constitute a sacrilege.

It's a steal 😉 https://abcresellers.com/store/product156.html

EDIT: My plan was to just Google XT Case for fun and see what shows up, but that site sure has a lot of cool stuff for sale. Those prices though...

1982 to 2001

Reply 17927 of 52699, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay I've found an ebay sale for the card I was talking about :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Carte-applicom-PC2000E … xIAAOSwcUBYHHIO

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 17928 of 52699, by Rawrl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

So how does that AGP work? I can figure out how to put a card in, the backplate would hit the motherboard right? Of am I just not seeing it right?

MCGA wrote:

Wow, they want like 800 bucks for that! 😖 I don't have that cable, but I'm going to see if there's any software on the HD. I wonder if there's really a market for this thing given it's so old?

It's an AGP slot. I was confused about it at first, but it's listed as such on the side panel and also labeled on the board. And there's a removable back plate for the VGA port. 😀

digital_5000_agp_port.jpg

The card probably has a cutout and a shortened backplate to fit around the motherboard. Compaq did something similar around the same period.

http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/palcal/ati/r … oagpcompaqb.jpg

Reply 17929 of 52699, by MCGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote:

MCGA wrote:

The attachment digital_5000_agp_port.jpg is no longer available

This Diamond Fire AGP card will fit into the weird location of this AGP slot.

Its backplate is a match ( and there's enough slack to push that wire out of the way. )

digital_5000_agp_plate.jpg
Filename
digital_5000_agp_plate.jpg
File size
539.27 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17930 of 52699, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey I've got one or two AGP cards that could fit in there. It's one of these cards with a tiny square bracket around a VGA connector. I've got an ATI rage card (PRO or 128, I don't remember) IIRC

Reply 17931 of 52699, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've only seen ATi Rage cards fit into those slots, they have a small bracket, usually found in Compaq desktops.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 17932 of 52699, by kazeobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got bunch of untested graphics cards on local auction website. Usually I don't bother with untested computer parts, but each one of these cards started with prince low as 0.25 euro. If seller is honest, least one of them should be in working order - I thought, and I set very low bids.

WP_20170722_00_50_34_Pro.jpg
Filename
File size
653.76 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I paid total 10.5 euro for (starting from upper left) broken TNT2 m64, working: SiS 6326 AGP, G200 AGP, Palit GF3 Ti200, I740 AGP and - I don't have DMS-59 adapters - two lowprofile ASUS GeForce 8400 PCIe x1.

Reply 17933 of 52699, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kazeobi wrote:

Got bunch of untested graphics cards on local auction website. Usually I don't bother with untested computer parts, but each one of these cards started with prince low as 0.25 euro. If seller is honest, least one of them should be in working order - I thought, and I set very low bids.

I paid total 10.5 euro for (starting from upper left) broken TNT2 m64, working: SiS 6326 AGP, G200 AGP, Palit GF3 Ti200, I740 AGP and - I don't have DMS-59 adapters - two lowprofile ASUS GeForce 8400 PCIe x1.

Im pretty sure that SiS is the slowest AGP video card ever built. I doubt it would bottleneck a VLB slot much less a AGP slot. I bought one myself a while back. Those PCIe GPU's are useful in cases where slots need to be saved. Aside from that you got a good deal. AGP cards tend more to be actually untested where as PCIe cards tend to be tested and listed as untested. The Ti 200 is worth what you paid alone. The I740 is steadly (if slowly) climbing in value last I checked as well.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17934 of 52699, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stojke wrote:

I've only seen ATi Rage cards fit into those slots, they have a small bracket, usually found in Compaq desktops.

Theres a few different models of Matrox cards with that type of bracket too. G200's and Millinium IIs I think are the ones I've personally seen.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 17935 of 52699, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:
Just received this item: […]
Show full quote

Just received this item:

file.php?id=36051&t=1

...which is a MIDI mixer/editor that can also be used to easily program various synths using SysEx. These include Kawai's more popular synths, but you can also create your own programs so it can be used on any synth that accepts MIDI SysEx.

However, I am less than pleased with the proxy service that I've been using for longer than a decade 😠 . Since the start of 2017 every single of their parcels sent to me have been badly packed with very little padding (1-2 sheets of bubble wrap) between the items and the box, and requests for more padding are systematically ignored (despite earlier complaints about item damage). They've also managed to get themselves flagged by Dutch customs by putting ridiculously low values on very large parcels 😵 . Guess it's time to switch services...
(or: how to lose a customer)

That's seriously the coolest thing I've ever seen on this thread.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 17936 of 52699, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just picked up a £10 eBay bargain with my favourite badges on. New monitor and keyboard, both as clean as the day they left the factory...and the new monitor is a lot less BZZZZ-CLUNK_FZZZSSSS than the old one.

gw1.jpg

And they also came with this beauty, Pentium III 450, 128MB. Alas, the hard disk is all dead and doesn't spin up (well, it's a Quantum Fireball, so my ears are relieved). The sun has caught the top and side so it's a yellow mess in places, but she starts up =)

gw2.jpg

Reply 17937 of 52699, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
yawetaG wrote:
Just received this item: […]
Show full quote

Just received this item:

file.php?id=36051&t=1

...which is a MIDI mixer/editor that can also be used to easily program various synths using SysEx. These include Kawai's more popular synths, but you can also create your own programs so it can be used on any synth that accepts MIDI SysEx.

That's seriously the coolest thing I've ever seen on this thread.

What makes it especially brilliant is that it's incredibly versatile:
- It can be used as a realtime mixing console, not by changing the audio volume of actual instruments, but by changing the MIDI value for the volume of MIDI-controlled instruments (really each MIDI channel).
- It can be used as a controller for many MIDI controller functions (e.g. modulation) on a MIDI-compatible device, i.e. each fader matches a certain MIDI controller function (selectable from the MM-16's memory banks) and thus a MIDI device can have various MIDI values changed in realtime. Also handy for adding a MIDI controller knob section to a MIDI controller keyboard that lacks such a section.
- It can be used as a would-be graphic equalizer, however again not by changing the audio signal, but by changing specific MIDI velocity values.
- It can be used to program synths via sys-ex. For Kawai's own synths pre-programmed patches are available in its memory banks, for anything else you can make your own (and dump them via MIDI).
- It can merge and split MIDI channels, including filtering based on specific MIDI events. It has specific modes for splitting MIDI information so it becomes possible to control two MIDI modules at once, e.g. one module will play the even notes while the other plays the uneven ones.
- It provides 64 memory locations to save specific MIDI settings, which can be dumped (saved to another device) and loaded via...MIDI Sys-Ex (kinda recursive there...). 😎

There are a few other MIDI devices that can do this, but they're hard to find, very expensive, or difficult to use. Of course you can also use a DAW and/or specific computer programs, but that's a less hands-on experience (and also not made in the late '80s). This might be Kawai's most awesome device that is not a synth. 😁

Reply 17938 of 52699, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
WildW wrote:
And they also came with this beauty, Pentium III 450, 128MB. Alas, the hard disk is all dead and doesn't spin up (well, it's a Q […]
Show full quote

And they also came with this beauty, Pentium III 450, 128MB. Alas, the hard disk is all dead and doesn't spin up (well, it's a Quantum Fireball, so my ears are relieved). The sun has caught the top and side so it's a yellow mess in places, but she starts up =)

gw2.jpg

I just picked up a very similar Gateway system myself from a local PC repair shop. Similar case, but my model is just a 450 on the front badge where yours says E-4200. The motherboard on mine is a fairly standard Intel 440BX and I upped it to 512MB and a 40GB Caviar. It also came with a P-III 450. The nice thing about these cases is they have those small PSUs in them, but Gateway still drilled holes in the back so you could upgrade it to a standard sized PSU. One of the screw holes is under a sticker. They are a solid case for sure and rather heavy.

I am curious what model optical drive came with yours?

Reply 17939 of 52699, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
WildW wrote:
Just picked up a £10 eBay bargain with my favourite badges on. New monitor and keyboard, both as clean as the day they left the […]
Show full quote

Just picked up a £10 eBay bargain with my favourite badges on. New monitor and keyboard, both as clean as the day they left the factory...and the new monitor is a lot less BZZZZ-CLUNK_FZZZSSSS than the old one.

gw1.jpg

gw2.jpg

EV700? I own one. They also sold those under the CrystalScan brand. Not sure who made the tube but there rock solid. Mine has an older firmware and lacks color adjustments though. Rock solid otherwise, mine has developed very very very minor convergence issues though. Not noticable most of the time or at 1024x768 or lower. I use mine as my main 90s retro monitor.

I'm curious what's the manufacture date on yours and do you by any chance know what model attachable speakers work with these? They have mounting rails but I've never been able to find the part number to acquire the speakers.

Also, I want your wall paper if possible...