VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18241 of 52744, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another rare finds: Diamond Riva TNT2 Ultra in pristine condition and PowerVR Kyro II from SUMA

SUNA Platinum K2 & Diamon Viper 770 Ultra.jpg
Filename
SUNA Platinum K2 & Diamon Viper 770 Ultra.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 18242 of 52744, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As expected, I received this baby today 😀

MVC-021S.JPG
Filename
MVC-021S.JPG
File size
46.52 KiB
Views
File license

I didn't test it yet though.

It came alongside this :

MVC-016S.JPG
Filename
MVC-016S.JPG
File size
40.82 KiB
Views
File license

and also this :

MVC-017S.JPG
Filename
MVC-017S.JPG
File size
35.72 KiB
Views
File license

The wavetable sounds excellent. However the SB 16 has some problem I guess : when I first tried it, I couldn't hear anything. At first I even thought it was broken ! Then I noticed that these two jumpers were missing :

MVC-019S.JPG
Filename
MVC-019S.JPG
File size
48.59 KiB
Views
File license

No I can hear sound ... barely. I need to crank up the wheel up to the maximum, same for mixerset and also my speakers to have "normal sound". But as you can imagine, that sounds terrible due to the noise it creates. I know early SB16 were noisy, however I never knew they lacked that munch power 🤣 I don't think that this is normal.

However after some testings with the wavetable, I figured out that it doesn't have the hanging note bug. Yay !

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18246 of 52744, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well the Korg isn't the problem here, it's the sound card itself. I first tried this card alone, then I did put another SB16 (which has the hanging note bug) that works and the card aswell as the korg sounded properly and then I re tried the card and there I figured out that the output level was very very low

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18248 of 52744, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CT2230 is usually go to card from SB16 family.

Reply 18249 of 52744, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had been following an auction for a Midi-Land Sufflör (basically a sheet music displayer for use with midi instruments). Once they dropped the price enough for my tastes, I bid on it.

The one I got is an older version without a CF card slot. See the link below for information.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=aut … e%2F&edit-text=

I've already registered for the Midi-Land forum and am waiting for an admin to approve. The software that was available for it required a registration code and of course it is really old so no longer available.

I'm going to ask them if they can give me a registration code since the software is no longer available.

The fun thing is that I wondered what was inside so after confirming it booted up properly I took it apart to see what was inside. Seems to be a single board computer that could be mounted to an ISA backplane if I wanted to say add a sound card to it. It also has a Floppy and HDD controller as well as what looks to be a ps/2 and serial ports.

I may end up just using it for my old midi gear, but it would be fun to make it into a super compact computer... just wish it had a color screen instead of monchrome. The VGA port can take care of that though if I want.

A few other things showed up as well.

1. Slotcket that supports coppermine CPUs with Celeron 566
2. Compaq (STB) Interwave card
3. ISA/PCI POST diagnostic card - now I can actually diagnose boards with no POST LEDS built in
4. Tyan Tiger S2505T with dual Tulatin 1.13Ghz (has ISA slot, onboard video and no AGP slot)

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18250 of 52744, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that I've got a GUS MAX 2.1 with 512K of ram, I'm thinking ... What ram should-I use to upgrade it ? Is it specific ram for gravis ? The ram looks like the chips found on old PCI graphic cards, are those compatible with one another ? I've got two of these chips that are unused at the moment and if needed I can salvage some crappy card such as trident cards to get some too.

Reply 18251 of 52744, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got myself a VooDoo3 2000 PCI card in place of the STB Velocity 3D (S3 Virge/VX) and STB BlackMagic VooDoo2 cards since playing 3D games above 640x480 locks up my system, and the lack of SVGA that some of my games have never worked in either DOS or Windows 98SE. The VooDoo3 2000 PCI card made all of my games for both DOS and Windows 98SE run and play a heck of a lot better than the old setup, and the 3D games are more crisp and have higher frame rates than before and the text is a lot clearer than the other set up I had previously.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18252 of 52744, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Got myself a VooDoo3 2000 PCI card in place of the STB Velocity 3D (S3 Virge/VX) and STB BlackMagic VooDoo2 cards since playing 3D games above 640x480 locks up my system, and the lack of SVGA that some of my games have never worked in either DOS or Windows 98SE. The VooDoo3 2000 PCI card made all of my games for both DOS and Windows 98SE run and play a heck of a lot better than the old setup, and the 3D games are more crisp and have higher frame rates than before and the text is a lot clearer than the other set up I had previously.

I'm curious how that would compare to just buying another V2 for SLI. Definitely IQ would be better due to less noise in the analog path. Since a V2 3000 PCI is a pricey card I would think going SLI would be more economically practical.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18253 of 52744, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xplus93 wrote:

Definitely IQ would be better due to less noise in the analog path.

3dfx revamped pipeline starting from Banshee, which results in less rendering bugs like gaps between texture tiles and overall better color quality (dithering, 22-bit color).

Reply 18254 of 52744, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My friend just brought me this collosus... Trinitron based HP P1100 from 1999... I was suprised that it has better specs than mine Sony 520GS.
I also bought this: quite hard to indentify but I found that in might be AUDIO WAVE AWS32

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    140.56 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    AUDIO WAVE AWS32
    File license
  • HP_P1100.jpg
    Filename
    HP_P1100.jpg
    File size
    449.53 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Trinitron based HP P1000 21" CRT
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 18255 of 52744, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought one of those NOS Microsoft PS/2 IntelliMouse from one of the sellers on eBay with them and was contacted just a short while later by the seller letting me know that I could pick it up locally if I wanted (didn't realize he was near me when I bought it). So, I agreed and went.

Came out with the following (all new old stock):

• 2x IntelliMouse
  • Astec 145W AT PSU
  • Carmegeddon (box included but not pictured)
  • 20x DSHD floppies + labels

Attachments

• IMG_20170806_130855.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170806_130855.jpg
    File size
    4.08 MiB
    Views
    File license

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 18256 of 52744, by dest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After years of wishful thinking, I finally pulled the trigger on a 486DX2-66. Paid a tad more than I wanted, but it all seems to be in great shape, and also, is in the same case I had growing up, which was a definite selling point. Can't wait for it to come in.

BtT1vPz.jpg

Reply 18257 of 52744, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dest wrote:
After years of wishful thinking, I finally pulled the trigger on a 486DX2-66. Paid a tad more than I wanted, but it all seems to […]
Show full quote

After years of wishful thinking, I finally pulled the trigger on a 486DX2-66. Paid a tad more than I wanted, but it all seems to be in great shape, and also, is in the same case I had growing up, which was a definite selling point. Can't wait for it to come in.

BtT1vPz.jpg

Nice! And I love that this case has many many brothers (sisters?) 😀
v6YSrsMl.jpg

1982 to 2001

Reply 18258 of 52744, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dest wrote:

Nice. 😀 I also saw that for sale but the seller wasn't shipping outside the US, otherwise I definitely would've scooped it up myself, hehe. That case is my "holy grail" of sorts, but have not been able to find one (in fact the only one I've ever seen in person was the one we had back in the early 90's).

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 18259 of 52744, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dest wrote:
After years of wishful thinking, I finally pulled the trigger on a 486DX2-66. Paid a tad more than I wanted, but it all seems to […]
Show full quote

BtT1vPz.jpg

Interesting system. I have a 486 myself and only paid $17 for it (tower, keyboard, and mouse), upgraded a few things, installed some features, and it's a perfect system for all of my old games. BTW, welcome to the forums.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser