File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 18381 of 52757, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mut wrote:
Bought on a flea market yesterday: P5sb in near mint condition P5ab in bad shape, but in recoverable condition A couple of never […]
Show full quote

Bought on a flea market yesterday:
P5sb in near mint condition
P5ab in bad shape, but in recoverable condition
A couple of never used serial mouses
A never used dtk mechanical keyboard

Looks like the P5AB board (the one next to the mouse, right?) needs a new keyboard port since it looks like someone wiggled the port forcefully.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18382 of 52757, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
overdrive333 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
overdrive333 wrote:

3$ on local flea market . Can't test it as fas as voltage in my country is 220v. Need 220v->120v converter.

The 3DO.... Oh God *throws up*

Worst console ever 🤣

That's a funny way to say "Apple/Bandai Pippin" or "Casio Loopy". Can't name a single good game on those things.

The 3DO got a spiffy port of Star Control 2, which automatically disqualifies it from "worst console ever", along with a few other notable titles (Return Fire, Road Rash, Super Wing Commander, a port of Flying Nightmares with enhanced graphics over the Mac original). There's probably more I haven't looked into yet due to library overlap with other platforms.

It's just that Panasonic overpriced their 3DO model significantly ($800 makes 599 US DOLLARS seem afforable already!), theirs was the first, and as a result, people make the mistake of assuming the 3DO is specifically a Panasonic console when it was more akin to the MSX in terms of being a platform specification that anyone can produce. That's why there were cheaper Goldstar (now LG) 3DO consoles, as well as the Creative 3DO Blaster for PCs.

EDIT: Well, cripes, I hadn't refreshed and saw all the replies posted since. Might as well respond to this set of posts as well.

appiah4 wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

Really? I thought the AWE64 GOLD had a superior wavetable to the value edition, learn something new everyday, for most practical purposes theirs no real advantage with the gold card?

In Win9x Gold can use up to 4MB Soundfonts for its software synthesizer whereas the Value can use 512K so in effect in Windows the Gold can run as if it has a 4MB Wavetable. For DOS, this makes no difference since the tools used to load soundfonts take up too much memory.. However, for Win9x I much prefer a Live! card paired with an ISA card that has true OPL3, but that's me..

If you get one of those SIMMCONN adapters, you can expand that to 28 MB effective with a 32 MB SIMM on either card and close the gap since they both have the EMU8000 wavetable synthesizer, but it's more of a pain to try and find one of those than it is to just get 30-pin SIMMs for an AWE32 with standard RAM slots.

The AWE64 Gold is sought after because of the improved SNR, and possibly also its S/PDIF output supporting digital audio samples so you can just connect a much more modern, cleaner DAC with much better SNR than the AWE64 itself can muster. However, no AWE64 has genuine OPL3 like earlier AWE32s do. It's a tradeoff.

Reply 18383 of 52757, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have got this old nvidia card.

Don't know if it's really useful for my K6-2 time maschine... 😐

rB1XjG9.jpg

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 18384 of 52757, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends of which card you have at the moment. If your card is just an ATi rage 2 for example, this would be definitely better. However if you've got a Voodoo banshee, a voodoo 3 card, an ATi Rage, etc ... this card would be useless. It is said to be as powerful as the voodoo 1 (while not supporting glide of course)

One funny thing to note : I've got an STB riva 128. If I install the official Nvidia drivers, it gets a score 3 times lower in 3dmark 99 than if I use my original STB drivers. I uploaded this driver disk on the internet. I wonder if it works with other brands ...

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18385 of 52757, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kithylin wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

This NMB keyboard... shame the DIN to PS/2 adapter isn't here yet.

I was curious about those. Are they actually mechanical keyboards? Or just clickity-sounding rubber-dome ones?

Got the AT to PS/2 adapter and typing on it right now. It is a bit loud and the keys are a bit harder to press than most rubber domes. Not sure if it is due to age or whatever but it is in very good shape and is quite nice. The key caps are slightly smaller than what I am used to.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 18386 of 52757, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote:

Depends of which card you have at the moment. If your card is just an ATi rage 2 for example, this would be definitely better. However if you've got a Voodoo banshee, a voodoo 3 card, an ATi Rage, etc ... this card would be useless. It is said to be as powerful as the voodoo 1 (while not supporting glide of course)

???

Reply 18388 of 52757, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

In Win9x Gold can use up to 4MB Soundfonts for its software synthesizer whereas the Value can use 512K so in effect in Windows the Gold can run as if it has a 4MB Wavetable. For DOS, this makes no difference since the tools used to load soundfonts take up too much memory.. However, for Win9x I much prefer a Live! card paired with an ISA card that has true OPL3, but that's me..

If you get one of those SIMMCONN adapters, you can expand that to 28 MB effective with a 32 MB SIMM on either card and close the gap since they both have the EMU8000 wavetable synthesizer, but it's more of a pain to try and find one of those than it is to just get 30-pin SIMMs for an AWE32 with standard RAM slots.

The AWE64 Gold is sought after because of the improved SNR, and possibly also its S/PDIF output supporting digital audio samples so you can just connect a much more modern, cleaner DAC with much better SNR than the AWE64 itself can muster. However, no AWE64 has genuine OPL3 like earlier AWE32s do. It's a tradeoff.

I got a question.
I bought few new sound cards to add to my collection (Yamaha 724E-V + Vortex 2).

Sound not only Blaster.jpg
Filename
File size
947.86 KiB
Views
File license

My question is : Did I covered everything ?
I mean, with all of ^these, are there any games/programs that will present compatibility problems regardless of what I put in my system ?
I want to add, that my primary focus is on platforms that have PCI ports (ISA is "Plan B").
Thank you.

157143230295.png

Reply 18389 of 52757, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
I got a question. I bought few new sound cards to add to my collection (Yamaha 724E-V + Vortex 2). […]
Show full quote
NamelessPlayer wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I got a question.
I bought few new sound cards to add to my collection (Yamaha 724E-V + Vortex 2).

I mean, with all of ^these, are there any games/programs that will present compatibility problems regardless of what I put in my system ?
I want to add, that my primary focus is on platforms that have PCI ports (ISA is "Plan B").
Thank you.

You won't have Stereo Support in SB Pro 2 mode on your SB16 but otherwise your pretty well set. A first gen Audigy may be a good addition for early EAX3 support.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18390 of 52757, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
agent_x007 wrote:
I got a question. I bought few new sound cards to add to my collection (Yamaha 724E-V + Vortex 2). […]
Show full quote
NamelessPlayer wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I got a question.

Thank you.

Let me see..

OPL3 SBPro 2.0 Compatible ISA Card? No
OPL3 SB16 Compatible ISA Card? Check
Software Synth ISA Card? Check
CQM AWE32 Compatible ISA Card? Yes
OPL3 AWE32 Compatible ISA Card? No
Wavetable Daughterboard ISA Card (w/o Hanging Note Bug)? Check
GUS ISA Card? No
SBPro 2.0 Compatible PCI Card? Check
SB16 Compatible PCI Card? Check
Software Wavetable PCI Card? Check
Wavetable Daughterboard PCI Card? No

I'd say you are well covered.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2017-08-14, 20:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18391 of 52757, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently aquired:

- Compaq Contura 400c (486-Dx2/40Mhz)
- Toshiba Satellite 200CDS (Pentium 100Mhz)
- IBM Thinkpad 760ED (and ELD for spare parts. Successfully switched the MWave in the ED with the ESS1688 Audiodrive from the ELD)

Very happy with the results so far. They all are in great shape. Lots and lots of extra hardware as in docking stations, HDDs, floppy drives, batteries with 75% capacity, etc).

Pictures of these beauties will follow.

Reply 18392 of 52757, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Let me see.. […]
Show full quote

Let me see..

GUS ISA Card? No

Awesome, thanks for info.
Out of curiosity : What hardware would I need to have those ?

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

You won't have Stereo Support in SB Pro 2 mode on your SB16 but otherwise your pretty well set. A first gen Audigy may be a good addition for early EAX3 support.

I got later EAX'es covered in spades 😀

Family Shot.jpg
Filename
Family Shot.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license

With Audigy 2 ZS I don't need Audigy 1... unless Audigy 2 is "too new" for some games ?

EDIT :
I searched a bit, and found Terratec DMX v1.0 and v1.1 together with Terratec XLerate (all PCI).
I guess, those would cover Wavetable Daughterboard PCI compatibility ?
If so, which one is easier to managed and has better sound quality ?

157143230295.png

Reply 18393 of 52757, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So you guys might know I've been searching for decent keyboards... found a few such as an HP branded Keytronic (rubber dome though), an AT101W which I sold for twice i got it for (and kinda regret it now), an NMB rubber dome and it's good but keys are stiff due to age...

I'm going back to buckling spring. It's been awhile since I had a Model M (1391401) but I got a Unicomp Classic white PS/2 104 key. Winkey was a must.

How do you guys like Unicomp keyboards?

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 18394 of 52757, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:
Awesome, thanks for info. Out of curiosity : What hardware would I need to have those ? […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:
Let me see.. […]
Show full quote

Let me see..

GUS ISA Card? No

Awesome, thanks for info.
Out of curiosity : What hardware would I need to have those ?

TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I got later EAX'es covered in spades 😀

Family Shot.jpg

With Audigy 2 ZS I don't need Audigy 1... unless Audigy 2 is "too new" for some games ?

EDIT :
I searched a bit, and found Terratec DMX v1.0 and v1.1 together with Terratec XLerate (all PCI).
I guess, those would cover Wavetable Daughterboard PCI compatibility ?
If so, which one is easier to managed and has better sound quality ?

I think your good. There are some games that have issues with X-Fi cards though (Battlefront II comes to mind)

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18395 of 52757, by overdrive333

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😎 Now need to find socket 4 120/133 overdrive

These socket 4 motherboards are dream boards for every retropc user. Why? They haven't electrolytic capacitors 🤣

Attachments

• SAM_3580.JPG
    Filename
    SAM_3580.JPG
    File size
    3.05 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • SAM_3579.JPG
    Filename
    SAM_3579.JPG
    File size
    2.73 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • SAM_3577.JPG
    Filename
    SAM_3577.JPG
    File size
    3.73 MiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by overdrive333 on 2017-08-15, 07:12. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 18396 of 52757, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While using that 486, don't forget to install the drivers, you'll be able to increase the IDE speed ^^

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 18397 of 52757, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
overdrive333 wrote:

These socket 4 motherboards are dream boards for every retropc user. Why? They haven't electrolytic capacitors 🤣

Instead, they have a lot of Tantalum capacitors...

From wiki:

It should be noted that industrially-produced tantalum capacitors nowadays are very reliable components. Continuous improvement in tantalum powder and capacitor technologies have resulted in a significant reduction in the amount of impurities present, which formerly have caused most of the field crystallization failures.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66

Reply 18398 of 52757, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
overdrive333 wrote:

😎 Now need to find socket 4 120/133 overdrive

True, no electrolytic capacitors, but the RTC batteries will probably be empty 🙁

1982 to 2001