Munx wrote:
lazibayer wrote:
Nvm1 wrote:
Will those two be enough? :lol: […]
Show full quote

Will those two be enough? 🤣

20170913_081128[1].jpg
20170913_081142[1].jpg

On the top it still has the thermal pad from how it was mounted in the notebook it came out so nothing to see there so far.

Interesting... Why would a laptop manufacturer convert a MMC1 processor into socket 7, instead of having MMC1 on the laptop side?

Before Tillamooks laptops just had regular desktop sockets for Pentiums, so I'm guessing it's so manufacturers wouldn't have to re-do or modify their PCBs

As far as I understand now it is socket 7 but with some alterations, hence the problems with getting the cache working and if I am correct I found somewhere on a german forum info that voltages would be different too. However there must be a way to get this working in atleast some desktop motherboards.

Reply 18961 of 52967, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
peklop wrote:

What is this 486 CPU? I have same with same heatsink but cant identify without removing.

appiah4 wrote:

Considering buying some of the below, would vogons help me with deciding which ones are worth having? Also is the motherboard/cpu/ram set worth $25?

https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=38010&mode=view […]
Show full quote

file.php?id=38010&mode=view

I have one that has the exact same heatsink. It was from an IBM machine, and it is an Dx2-66 with WT cache.
On mine, there are i66 written/scratched/etched into the gold plate.
Though I have another heatsink-less 66'er that are also WT, yet the gold plate is smaller.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 18962 of 52967, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BSA Starfire wrote:
my beeb 2.jpg
my beeb.jpg

Bought this the other week, it's a Acorn BBC micro Model B, 32K, 2MHz 6502 CPU. It has a MMC SD that acts as a 1 GB hard disk with a load of games(over 420) installed. This is an issue 3 motherboard from early 1983. The BBC computer was built around a early initiative to make the UK computer literate, it's original cost was £399 in 1982, equivalent to £1200 today. It was the machine installed in most schools here in the UK during the 1980's, eventually selling over 1.5 Million units. Acorn the designer and manufacturer of the BBC micro then went on to develop the ARM CPU in 1985, the backbone of today's computing world.

What a wonderfull little machine you got there. We had something like that in Denmark, though it was build for schools only.
They did not produce seperate models for schools and homes, as Acorn did in the UK.
The ones in Denmark, was a seperate computer, and seperate disk drive, that could be shared by up to four machines.
It was powered by an 80186 CPU and ran eighter CPM or Basic. (as far as I remember) everything, even the keyboard was all metal.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 18963 of 52967, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a few days back, received today.

tGg5gxw.jpg

286 Motherboard with 12MHz CPU, 1MB RAM. No idea of the make/model of this, I just saw the spec and it was ideal for the system I wanted to build - namely a lower end 286 purely for 80s-early 90s DOS games and programs, perhaps with GEM as a GUI.

Reply 18964 of 52967, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Coin cell battery on a 286? Is this a mod or an original feature?
Also beware of that EPROM with the glass window - it might have been already erased by accident.

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 18965 of 52967, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Few weeks back was talking with an uncle of mine and he mentioned having worked on old 386's and 486's and early Pentiums back in the day. A few hours' conversation later he agreed to look in his closet and drawer for old Pc stuff he may have kept. Package came today and it looks like he found some stuff!

https://imgur.com/a/EWCnH - Imgur album

Highlights include an ATi All In Wonder PRO PCI graphics card with RAM upgrade module and manual, and a socket 3 AMD 5x86-133MHz!

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 18966 of 52967, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

Coin cell battery on a 286? Is this a mod or an original feature?
Also beware of that EPROM with the glass window - it might have been already erased by accident.

No idea about the battery, I wondered if it was a mod also.

Glad you mentioned the EPROM, they were both covered with a sticker and it had fallen off before I moved the motherboard to take that photo. Just tested the board now and thankfully its fine. I'll make sure they stay covered up.

Reply 18967 of 52967, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Not quite new or retro.

But I got really lucky. I made an offer on a Asus ROG laptop of 60$-shipped and won! The laptop is in really good shape too.
It has a 2ghz c2d (will upgrade) a gtx260m 1gb and 4gb of ram with a 320gb hard drive and Blu-ray drive. Supports dual hdds and has a mxm video card slot. Sadly the mxm slot is upside down so finding a newer card with a lower TPD will not be easy. I may just remove it all together.

The battery is bad, but for what I'll be using it for that no biggy. I'll mostly use it to replace the old circa 2003 laptop I been using to work on cars. IE a garage computer.

Last edited by Jade Falcon on 2017-09-14, 13:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18968 of 52967, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nvm1 wrote:

As far as I understand now it is socket 7 but with some alterations, hence the problems with getting the cache working and if I am correct I found somewhere on a german forum info that voltages would be different too. However there must be a way to get this working in atleast some desktop motherboards.

I have a 266MHz tilly and it works (without L2) on GA-5SMM. @meijor has done a lot of work and found L2 cache working on a P5SJ-A. As for voltages, the 1.8-2.0V Vcore is easier to reach than 2.5V VIO. It works with 3.3V VIO on my board but I only use it for testing purposes.
Officially socket 7 version only goes up to 266MHz, so the conversion is either done by the laptop manufacturer or by Intel thru special order. Either way, I guess, is cheaper than redesigning the laptop.

Reply 18969 of 52967, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nvm1 wrote:

voltages would be different too

1.9 V core and 2.5 V I/O.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 18970 of 52967, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Primax AltraSound Soundstorm Wave and GUS PnP. GUS sold as defective but working 😎 Courisously only no sound when using ROM samples. When switching to RAM it works perfectly. Dont know the reason yet.

IMG_7883r.jpg
Filename
IMG_7883r.jpg
File size
2.23 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

From another 6 kg lot I got very cheap. Most interesting parts

IMG_7878r.jpg
Filename
IMG_7878r.jpg
File size
2.2 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_7877r.jpg
Filename
IMG_7877r.jpg
File size
2.36 MiB
Views
File license

- some sort of ASUS PCI SCSI/Soundcard with a Vibra Chip
- CT1350B
- Several AZTECH Cards
- Mozart
- Voodoo 1
- CT3990

Somebody sat down on the CT3990 😠 But at least sound output is working perfectly 😲

IMG_7882r.jpg
Filename
IMG_7882r.jpg
File size
1.7 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 18971 of 52967, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lazibayer wrote:
Nvm1 wrote:

I have a 266MHz tilly and it works (without L2) on GA-5SMM. @meijor has done a lot of work and found L2 cache working on a P5SJ-A. As for voltages, the 1.8-2.0V Vcore is easier to reach than 2.5V VIO. It works with 3.3V VIO on my board but I only use it for testing purposes.
Officially socket 7 version only goes up to 266MHz, so the conversion is either done by the laptop manufacturer or by Intel thru special order. Either way, I guess, is cheaper than redesigning the laptop.

I have the Sl2Z4 version, maybe the conversion ones are more compatible with desktop boards? Who knows..... Recently i bought a Fic 503+ Via mvp3 ss7 board and ofcourse i tested it with the Tillamook. It posts but only boots when l2 is disabled so up to now i have had no succes with ss7 boards and this cpu and no succes with Intel chipsets either..

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 18972 of 52967, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Primax AltraSound Soundstorm Wave and GUS PnP. GUS sold as defective but working :cool: Courisously only no sound when using RO […]
Show full quote

Primax AltraSound Soundstorm Wave and GUS PnP. GUS sold as defective but working 😎 Courisously only no sound when using ROM samples. When switching to RAM it works perfectly. Dont know the reason yet.

IMG_7877r.jpg

- CT1350B
- Several AZTECH Cards
- Mozart
- Voodoo 1
- CT3990

IMG_7882r.jpg

That Asus SCSI/soundcard is made for the Asus MediaBus, an expansion they put on some socket 7 boards.

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 18973 of 52967, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a Midiman MM401 (with its proper cable) off ebay for less than I expected. (interesting it has a 1993 pcb but a 1991 rom.. need to find a 2764 rom can I reburn the MCS8051 rom v1.15 into. Interesting its an 8031 which is a romless version, so it has no secret sauce internally, just the rom chip on the pcb.

I didnt expect to win so mm not sure I really need it 🤣!

Gonna have to turn midi off on my AWE32. I see the MM401 is set to use IRQ 2/3/5/7... 5+7 are used by the AWE. IRQ 2 is cascade to 9 which is ACPI.. which only leaves me IRQ 3... That also explains why in another vogon thread on MM401 people are saying to disable ACPI.. since its IRQ 9, that goes to IRQ2... which is the default..

Anyway, will try it on IRQ 3 and see how it goes.

rMUtXmOh.jpg

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 18974 of 52967, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
meljor wrote:
lazibayer wrote:
Nvm1 wrote:

I have the Sl2Z4 version, maybe the conversion ones are more compatible with desktop boards? Who knows..... Recently i bought a Fic 503+ Via mvp3 ss7 board and ofcourse i tested it with the Tillamook. It posts but only boots when l2 is disabled so up to now i have had no succes with ss7 boards and this cpu and no succes with Intel chipsets either..

The voltage is also clear but the L2 cache not. Could it be they changed some of the pins of the Tillamook socket from a normal socket 7?
I am not deep enough into this kind of information digging but it could be a good explanation why the Tillamooks on Socket 7 don't work well cache wise?
I have atleast 10 socket 7 boards so I can de a good round of testing when I find time. I am mostly curious if I can get the max multiplier going on the Tillamook next to the question if there is a motherboard where the cache works with this CPU.

Reply 18975 of 52967, by stege

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sony SDM-S51 (Dec 2001) 😊

IMG_0438.JPG
Filename
IMG_0438.JPG
File size
867.78 KiB
Views
File license

Miss the Monkey Island days, the Space Quest days, even The Longest Journey days.

Reply 18976 of 52967, by WildW

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This beauty has been wrapped in plastic for nearly a quarter century waiting for me to play with it =)

Attachments

• 2017-09-15 10.11.59.jpg
    Filename
    2017-09-15 10.11.59.jpg
    File size
    100.3 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 18977 of 52967, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My quest for a good Socket 3 VLB board continues. Today I got myself a QDI V4P895GRN/SMT v1.0 (S1.1)!

18488650.jpg
Filename
18488650.jpg
File size
905.89 KiB
Views
File license

This is my fourth VLB board so far. Generally, all my previous issues were related to the fact that I couldn't get AMD 5x86 to run the way it should, no matter how hard I tried.

This board uses an OPTi 895 chipset — relatively unpopular on Vogons (as opposed to SIS471, for example). As far as I know, it's a bit slower that SIS or UMC chipsets, but makes up for it in stability. Redhill Guide specifically names QDI's OPTI895 family of boards as its favourite. And there's a lot of stuff I like about it:

- 4xSIMM72 (no EDO RAM support, though);
- CR2032 battery;
- nice layout (no ISA cards are restricted by the CPU socket/cooler);
- AMI WinBIOS.

And, finally — the fact that it properly detects 5x86. The seller checked it with CHKCPU:

18590589.jpg
Filename
18590589.jpg
File size
658.12 KiB
Views
File license
18590590.jpg
Filename
18590590.jpg
File size
626.91 KiB
Views
File license

As you can see, the board works with both 4x33 and 4x40. Unfortunately, the BIOS calls 5x86 an "Am486DX4-Plus", but I guess that's okay — as long as the CPU works in clock-quadrupling mode.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 18978 of 52967, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recycling 30e. Not a great price, but these are quite rare here. Never seen any BBC micros anywhere and they had 3! 😲

Attachments

• bbc.jpg
    Filename
    bbc.jpg
    File size
    206.68 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 18979 of 52967, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Hold onto this one. Several ASUS motherboards had optional proprietary SCSI cards that allowed the motherboard to boot from either IDE or SCSI (as opposed to only having SCSI boot with no devices attached to the IDE bus, like with regular SCSI cards), and this might be one of those cards. It will only work with specific motherboards, though.