Topic actions

Reply 19140 of 52764, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
JoeCorrado wrote:
All, and more for $150 - just had to send my son to Oklahoma to pick it up. lol - He and his wife enjoyed the road trip! And I, […]
Show full quote

All, and more for $150 - just had to send my son to Oklahoma to pick it up. 🤣 - He and his wife enjoyed the road trip! And I, got the spoils!

Intel P3 800Mhz
Soyo SY-6BA+II
3, 128meg SDRAM 168pin DIMM PC133
ATI Rage Pro AGP 16MB
Quantum3D Obsidian x24 SLI PCI (3Dfx Voodoo 2)
Creative Lab's SoundBlaster ISA AWE 64 Gold
TSST TS-H653A Sata 16x DVD+-RW Burner (PATA/SATA 863b Adapter)
Realtek RTL8139 NIC
Microsoft Sidewinder GamePad
Microsoft Sidewinder 3D Pro Joystick
Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro
Western Digital Caviar 20GB
Seagate Barracuda 20GB
50+ games - period specific mid to late nineties, all original media

Really glad that somebody picked up that system! I would have hated to see the guy give up trying to sell it and send it to the trash/recycler/whatever.

You could sell the X24, buy a normal SLI pair for $100 and still have 50-75 dollars left over to buy new games or reinvest into further hardware. IMO you might consider swapping the AGP card out for a Matrox G450 or something else with a very high quality 2D signal. You may also consider getting a CT4670 SB Live! to use under Windows since later 90s games will suffer an Audio quality hit from the AWE64 I believe not to mention EAX. Aureal sound cards are also quite popular around here but I can't speak for them myself. In terms of human interfacing a racing wheel and a forcefeedback joystick might be worth opening your wallet for too. You have a great base to try to build a PC using only the rarest parts too. My thing is taking OEM systems and shoving them full of rare parts (thus was born the Dimension 4600 with an FX5950 and a Compaq Deskpro EN with a GeForce256).

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 19141 of 52764, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
JoeCorrado wrote:
All, and more for $150 - just had to send my son to Oklahoma to pick it up. lol - He and his wife enjoyed the road trip! And I, […]
Show full quote

All, and more for $150 - just had to send my son to Oklahoma to pick it up. 🤣 - He and his wife enjoyed the road trip! And I, got the spoils!

Intel P3 800Mhz
Soyo SY-6BA+II
ATI Rage Pro AGP 16MB
Realtek RTL8139 NIC
Seagate Barracuda 20GB

Really glad that somebody picked up that system! I would have hated to see the guy give up trying to sell it and send it to the trash/recycler/whatever.

You could sell the X24, buy a normal SLI pair for $100 and still have 50-75 dollars left over to buy new games or reinvest into further hardware. IMO you might consider swapping the AGP card out for a Matrox G450 or something else with a very high quality 2D signal. You may also consider getting a CT4670 SB Live! to use under Windows since later 90s games will suffer an Audio quality hit from the AWE64 I believe not to mention EAX. Aureal sound cards are also quite popular around here but I can't speak for them myself. In terms of human interfacing a racing wheel and a forcefeedback joystick might be worth opening your wallet for too. You have a great base to try to build a PC using only the rarest parts too. My thing is taking OEM systems and shoving them full of rare parts (thus was born the Dimension 4600 with an FX5950 and a Compaq Deskpro EN with a GeForce256).

Selling the X24 for a normal Voodoo2 SLI system is kinda like selling a 57 Chevy Nomad for a 91 Honda Civic 🤣 I'd keep it and treasure it if I was him tbh

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 19142 of 52764, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got a board with an UMC chipset... pretty giddy to see how it fares.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Filename
    Picture.jpg
    File size
    3.71 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19143 of 52764, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had to throw out a Chicony mechanical AT keyboard. About half the caps got knocked off and lost/broken during the move it looks like 🙁

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 19144 of 52764, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lazibayer wrote:
My actually reading progress. […]
Show full quote

My actually reading progress.

JoeCorrado wrote:

Intel P3 800Mhz

This guy tossed 150 bucks and sent his son to an expedition for a P3 800?

JoeCorrado wrote:

Soyo SY-6BA+II

Nothing

JoeCorrado wrote:

Still nothing

JoeCorrado wrote:

ATI Rage Pro AGP 16MB

Meh.

JoeCorrado wrote:

Holy F........ F.......... F.................. beep beep beep ---------------
Couldn't finish the rest.

Yeah, it was a rare opportunity that had me thinking outside the box since the seller declined to ship. Had to be local pickup. Thus, the road trip suggestion that the kids (showing my age since these kids are grown adults with "kids" of their own!) were all too happy to oblige!

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 19145 of 52764, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
JoeCorrado wrote:
Show full quote

Intel P3 800Mhz
Soyo SY-6BA+II
ATI Rage Pro AGP 16MB
Realtek RTL8139 NIC
Seagate Barracuda 20GB

The seller, who shall remain anonymous unless he speaks first- is a fellow VOGON who was very kind throughout the process. He didn't want to use shipping because he wanted to avoid any possible shipping damage, he personally also wanted a chance to show off his prize to any buyers. And to assist in answering questions, safe loading, etc~ I am so happy that he allowed me the opportunity to own such a beautiful piece of history in pristine working condition!

He could have parted this out on eBay and made way more money- but for him- it wasn't about the money. Lucky me! 😀

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 19146 of 52764, by Skalabala

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Where is the like button on this forum???

lazibayer wrote:
JoeCorrado wrote:

Reply 19147 of 52764, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

🤣 - NO WAY. This system is just about perfect as it sits imo. I don't anticipate changing a single thing, hardware or software! I am as happy as a pig in mud about it. 😉

I do have a 95 system running with a pair of Diamond Monster Voodoo 2 cards in SLI and I have a Diamond Monster Sound card that I may swap into that system and have a go with, but no- this system stays as is. Not changing a single thing- I am just so happy with it! And the Quantum3D Obsidian x24 card? Oh, hell no. No way I could part with that!! 🤣

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 19148 of 52764, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cj_reha wrote:

Selling the X24 for a normal Voodoo2 SLI system is kinda like selling a 57 Chevy Nomad for a 91 Honda Civic 🤣 I'd keep it and treasure it if I was him tbh

/\ THIS /\

Skalabala wrote:

Where is the like button on this forum???

lazibayer wrote:
JoeCorrado wrote:

/\ AND THIS /\

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 19150 of 52764, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Artex wrote:

*all that stuff*

And here I though I wouldn't have to feel jealous today...

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 19151 of 52764, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote:
Artex wrote:

*all that stuff*

Ditto that. I especially, of all things love the 3dfx coffee cup and the ink pens that Artex posted up.🤣

-- Regards, Joe

Reply 19152 of 52764, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:
Artex wrote:

*all that stuff*

Artex drops the mic once again 😀

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 19153 of 52764, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Munx wrote:
Artex wrote:

*all that stuff*

And I'm drooling over those items. That accelerator card: Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Interesting that those exist.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19154 of 52764, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey guys! Been away for a bit - my family recently moved and it's been absolute chaos between selling our home and buying our new home. That being said, not a whole lot of time for the retro hobby. Now that the dust has settled, I hope to be more active again on here. The good news is that all of my retro stuff survived the move and is all organized in the new digs. MUCH more space now too! I'll send some updated pix this weekend! 😀

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 19155 of 52764, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:

MUCH more space now too!

Oh, God! You're going to buy more stuff, aren't you?

Your wife must be an Earth Angel.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19156 of 52764, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Artex, would you like to join us in group today? 🤣

No really where do you put all your stuff? Id go insane trying to find away to store it all.

Reply 19157 of 52764, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm really really jealous about that AdLib coin - is it made of real gold like the AWE64 one? Is there any chance that there could be more of them where you got this one? If that's not a secret, could you tell the story of this coin?

Meanwhile I've also made a nice deal today, seller's picture provided 😀 Hope it works as I plan to build a Unobtainium VLB machine with this one, the CT6200 I posted earlier, and some other nice pieces.

Attachments

• IMG_20170922_095300.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_20170922_095300.jpg
    File size
    4.23 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 19158 of 52764, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hard1k wrote:

I'm really really jealous about that AdLib coin - is it made of real gold like the AWE64 one? Is there any chance that there could be more of them where you got this one? If that's not a secret, could you tell the story of this coin?

Meanwhile I've also made a nice deal today, seller's picture provided 😀 Hope it works as I plan to build a Unobtainium VLB machine with this one, the CT6200 I posted earlier, and some other nice pieces.

I hate to burst your bubble, but pretty sure the NexGen PF series chips with on-chip FPU only work in PCI boards. Nice rare find though 😀 Is that the one you bought off Hugo?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19159 of 52764, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, exactly.
Could you recommend me any further reading on the issue you raised? Would really appreciate that!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)