VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19820 of 52969, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought on a flea market yesterday.

Pcchips m921 in mint conditition + intel overdrive (probably a dx4 100)
Sound Blaster 16 ct2290 looking as new
Boring Sound blaster PCI and Radeon 9000 AGP
and some unrelated retro pc parts.

Attachments

• 20171030_101031.jpg
    Filename
    20171030_101031.jpg
    File size
    56.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19821 of 52969, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Pc Chips M921 board seems to be a good one.

Got a Belinea CRT from a friend of mine... after adjusting some of the settings I was pretty happy with the picture. Although Belinea was a poor man's company(when it came to monitors it seems) the camera is not really able to do the picture justice. Now I have at least one bigger CRT that nicely goes together with the 486/586 boards.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Filename
    Picture 003.jpg
    File size
    411 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Filename
    Picture 005.jpg
    File size
    489.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Filename
    Picture 007.jpg
    File size
    534.91 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 19822 of 52969, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
Also, I got a very good deal on a very strange looking mystery computer: […]
Show full quote

Also, I got a very good deal on a very strange looking mystery computer:

2bdcaf1d8fd402c18ddbac56a1d33550.jpeg

Couldn't resist it.. Any bets on what we have inside?

Picked this up for $15 tonight. Opened it up dreading to find a Pentium MMX system and hoping for a Super Socket 7. I got neither.

It's a Celeron system with Zida LX98-CT board, three sticks of RAM, some unidientified Celeron PPGA CPU, an ISA modem, a PCI USB 2.0 card, a Genius ES1868 ISA sound card and a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP without a TV-Out (I thought 3000s had TV-out, strange..)

All in all, not a bad haul.

The case has definite markings that label it as a Pentium 133 out of the factory, this PC has been upgraded extensively since then. I will revert it to a P5 or P54C DOS PC, now that my attempts at building a 486 appear to have gloriously failed..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19824 of 52969, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dexvx wrote:

@appiah4
What form factor is that chassis? Look small and inverted (5.25 bays on bottom).

Inverted baby at. Very strange case indeed.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19825 of 52969, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My last adquisition.
An external USB floppy drive.

The quick/temporal solution to transfer files from my "current" PC to 486.

Works even in my smartphone trough OTG cable. 😁

My computers

qp92nk-6.png

Reply 19826 of 52969, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
amadeus777999 wrote:

Got a Belinea CRT from a friend of mine... after adjusting some of the settings I was pretty happy with the picture. Although Belinea was a poor man's company(when it came to monitors it seems) the camera is not really able to do the picture justice. Now I have at least one bigger CRT that nicely goes together with the 486/586 boards.

In my opinion CRT monitor is better than TFT for vintage computers.
Recently I installed a 17'' CRT SONY Trinitron in my 486 and the result is very nice.

My computers

qp92nk-6.png

Reply 19827 of 52969, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Paid 20 for this combo. fake cache

- infamous M919 with fake cache
- Infamous M915i with fake writeback cache
- Unknown SIS board with soldered cache, probably fake too. If anyone knows the model please let me know.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reply 19828 of 52969, by Anaxagoras

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BLockOUT wrote:
Paid 20 for this combo. fake cache […]
Show full quote

- Unknown SIS board with soldered cache, probably fake too. If anyone knows the model please let me know.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hi,
The last mainboard is the same that my 486!!!
How can I verify if it has a fake cache? From the BIOS or on startup messages?

My computers

qp92nk-6.png

Reply 19829 of 52969, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SeconDRAY HDD 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19830 of 52969, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BLockOUT wrote:
Paid 20 for this combo. fake cache […]
Show full quote

[...]
image.jpg

As sketchy as that last board is (spelling is hard! 🤣 ), that cache looks socketed and the jumper headers appear to be present. Was there fake cache that was socketed?

Reply 19831 of 52969, by BLockOUT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anaxagoras wrote:

Hi,
The last mainboard is the same that my 486!!!
How can I verify if it has a fake cache? From the BIOS or on startup messages?

there is a dos tool called cachechk that checks if the cache is real or not
but if the chip says writeback its mostly fake

Reply 19833 of 52969, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:
BitWrangler wrote:

SeconDRAY HDD 🤣

🤣

Also I can just barely make out "WRITE BACK" on those cache chips. Definitely fake.

Ahh, yeah that sounds fake. I could hardly see any writing on those chips.

Reply 19834 of 52969, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
amadeus777999 wrote:

Hey, it's pretty good! How large is the monitor?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 19835 of 52969, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is a 17 incher - viewable area measured approx. 15". I once found a 24" Sony on a local site "butt" the owner wanted 400$+.

The original picture was meh, but after re-adjustment(contrast 85, brightness 40, blue component raised) it turned out to be pretty lively, even adding a nice "bite" to some colors.

I primarily use an old EIZO flatscreen for reading surfing/editing and while its color reproduction is superior to the Belinea's, the picture quality as a whole appears better on the, rather cheap, CRT.
From my perspective the crt's strength lies in the luminous quality of the picture. It adds depth and life while the higher "fidelity", more accurate one drawn by the flatscreen appears like molten plastic... it's like somebody is painting the screen with high accuracy crayons.

Reply 19836 of 52969, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:
It is a 17 incher - viewable area measured approx. 15". I once found a 24" Sony on a local site "butt" the owner wanted 400$+. […]
Show full quote

It is a 17 incher - viewable area measured approx. 15". I once found a 24" Sony on a local site "butt" the owner wanted 400$+.

The original picture was meh, but after re-adjustment(contrast 85, brightness 40, blue component raised) it turned out to be pretty lively, even adding a nice "bite" to some colors.

I primarily use an old EIZO flatscreen for reading surfing/editing and while its color reproduction is superior to the Belinea's, the picture quality as a whole appears better on the, rather cheap, CRT.
From my perspective the crt's strength lies in the luminous quality of the picture. It adds depth and life while the higher "fidelity", more accurate one drawn by the flatscreen appears like molten plastic... it's like somebody is painting the screen with high accuracy crayons.

Try posting on your local facebook sell groups wanting to buy old CRT monitors.

There will be tons of people who bought these monitors but were too lazy/old/frail to get them out of the house once they retired them so they just sat them in a closet or in a corner or there shed/garage. Plunty of people will offer to give them to you just to get rid of them. I got two of my Macintoshs this way (not for free, $25 each) including a somewhat rare G3 233 iMac Bondi and a late production run eMac.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 19837 of 52969, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Won two 4890's on ebay, but the seller somehow forgot to put in the shipping info and now I'm wanting on a invoice. Hopefully these two will be good.

EDIT:
Got the, for 53$ usd after shipping from Candida. Not a bad deal for two very nice 4890's with 2 CF bridges and the RGB cable.

I also got some ddr3 ram, 2133 9-11-9-26 timings and a new (no box) P5E64 WS EVOLUTION.

Reply 19838 of 52969, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thing.... To use with old systems of various kinds. Will see how it goes and performs with Amiga600 and Playstation2.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-Scandoubler-Fl … t8AAOSwVFZZdIJy

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 19839 of 52969, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a some sound cards. 5 Compaq branded ES 1869F with onboard wavetable and a new Aopen card with Yamaha chip.

Soundcards-lot.jpg
Filename
Soundcards-lot.jpg
File size
698.54 KiB
Views
File license