VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19900 of 52929, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ASUS P5K/EPU Socket 775 SLI motherboard with a C2D 8200 2.66GHz. My first SLI/XFire capable board!

And a Radeon 3870 from Powercolor.
Some heartless person tried to tear off the waifu from the cooler 🤣

P_20171104_104933.jpg
Filename
P_20171104_104933.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I also just realized that I own at least one ATI card for every generation from the first rage up until the DX11 era

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 19902 of 52929, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just received an HP Vectra N2 4/66 with 24 MB RAM in excellent condition for a very good price. Searched on eBay high and low for a Vectra N-Series (would've preferred a 386 but beggars can't be choosers). Finally found one on another platform. 😀

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    Filename
    12.jpg
    File size
    179.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 13.jpg
    Filename
    13.jpg
    File size
    147.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 14.jpg
    Filename
    14.jpg
    File size
    173.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • hp-vectra-n2-foto-bild-b125902953.jpg
    Filename
    hp-vectra-n2-foto-bild-b125902953.jpg
    File size
    145.66 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by blurks on 2017-11-05, 21:48. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19906 of 52929, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now you just gotta find one of those 3.5" CD ROM drives 😁

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19907 of 52929, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Plopped a bid on (and won) a cute little Pentium III system that happened to come with its original installation CDs (a hard-to-find-complete foreign version of Windows). P3 1 GHz, 128 Mb RAM, no hard disk, micro-ATX motherboard in a low profile case (might have to do something about that...).

Reply 19908 of 52929, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
blurks wrote:
I just received an HP Vectra N2 4/66 with 24 MB RAM in excellent condition for a very good price. Searched on eBay high and low […]
Show full quote

I just received an HP Vectra N2 4/66 with 24 MB RAM in excellent condition for a very good price. Searched on eBay high and low for a Vectra N-Series (would've preferred a 386 but beggars can't be choosers). Finally found one on another platform. 😀

123gsbu.jpg

NICE FIND"
I got one that i paid 10 bucks, that looks identical but different model
vectra 486/50N (its not N2 like yours, the motherboard has a lot of differences also.
the cpu does not come with a heatsink, just the fan.

it has 500k video memory, and has some zip memory slots available, i belive t hey are called like that

i added a SB16 and i tried doom1 and its fine, im able to play it nicely.

the battery must be dead like mine, you can buy a battery holder and use 3AAA normal alkaline batteries in it.

can i ask you to take pictures of the HDD tray? mine came without it and the HDD loose.

Reply 19909 of 52929, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recent personal purchases are a couple of AGP cards, both of which I was able to obtain at a reasonable price:

2ue06zq.jpg
X850XT/X800XT

And for something from an earlier era and a little different, a NOS 2x Sony interface CD. I have a feeling this might be the first non-IDE/SCSI/SATA optical drive I've owned.

15q2hqd.jpg

Reply 19910 of 52929, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A non-Sony branded Sony interface drive? That's something I've never seen before.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 19911 of 52929, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:
NICE FIND" I got one that i paid 10 bucks, that looks identical but different model vectra 486/50N (its not N2 like yours, the […]
Show full quote
blurks wrote:
I just received an HP Vectra N2 4/66 with 24 MB RAM in excellent condition for a very good price. Searched on eBay high and low […]
Show full quote

123gsbu.jpg

NICE FIND"
I got one that i paid 10 bucks, that looks identical but different model
vectra 486/50N (its not N2 like yours, the motherboard has a lot of differences also.
the cpu does not come with a heatsink, just the fan.

it has 500k video memory, and has some zip memory slots available, i belive t hey are called like that

i added a SB16 and i tried doom1 and its fine, im able to play it nicely.

the battery must be dead like mine, you can buy a battery holder and use 3AAA normal alkaline batteries in it.

can i ask you to take pictures of the HDD tray? mine came without it and the HDD loose.

Should we really be shoving alkaline batteries into systems? They can be insanely destructive if they leak.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 19912 of 52929, by deleted_Rc

User metadata

still waiting for my work to finally finish up programming our final installation on scada from I2CX, so I can finally take all Pentium II, Celerons and Pentium III compaqs home (5 or 6).
sometime ago I salvaged a few IDE cables from those and the pinout was custom, they were intended for cable management on a few systems but ended having to mod my own IDE cables 😒

Reply 19913 of 52929, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

Should we really be shoving alkaline batteries into systems? They can be insanely destructive if they leak.

They typically are used in a plastic enclosure that does a pretty good job containing the carnage.

I actually pulled a 4 AA battery holder from a 386 that I acquired - the batteries were all leaking, and the holder was in terrible shape. 386 was fine.

Mounting points for those guys are also important. If you mount in a tower, I like to stick it to the bottom at the front of the case. That way you can sit the case upright or either way on its side, and gravity will direct any potential leakage away from the mobo should the enclosure be compromised.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 19914 of 52929, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just purchased another Guillemot Maxi Studio ISIS setup for a good price.

The seller had just listed the external box and cables. The listing sounded like it was from an old machine that he had so I asked about the computer it was used in.

He replied and said he still had it but was about to donate it. 😲

We messaged back and forth a few times and after verifying that the cards that went with the external unit were the ones that were i the computer, I have purchased the whole setup...

Dodged a huge bullet of having a very rare setup separated.

Even comes with a folder of CDs, including at least one of the original install CDs. I really hope the whole set of original CDs is included as the only I have been able to find for download was the second one.

So giddy right now.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19915 of 52929, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Batyra wrote:
Thanks for replies. Memories on ET6100 are the same as on ET6000... what funny is that ET6000 is little faster than ET6100 in do […]
Show full quote

Thanks for replies. Memories on ET6100 are the same as on ET6000... what funny is that ET6000 is little faster than ET6100 in doom... I thought 6100 is faster.
Both ET6100 I have are "dark"... compareing to S3 cards I own, Brightnes on Tsengs ET6100 issignificantly lower. Can I do something about it? (I mean bios or some DOS software)... I only use them in DOS.

EDIT:
I have two chips with the same numer 908 but they doesn't work. If I place them in card speedsys shows still 2mb... But fortunately I will have two more "spare" chips and one of my ET6100 has 4 sockets - so I'll try to change all 4 od tchem if numbers will fit.

et6000_zps8o2rmx3z.jpg

Ive got these 2 chips if you want them pulled from a 4meg ET6000, 1meg each.

Bit hard to read.

OKI Japan
M519909

Reply 19916 of 52929, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Munx wrote:
ASUS P5K/EPU Socket 775 SLI motherboard with a C2D 8200 2.66GHz. My first SLI/XFire capable board! […]
Show full quote

ASUS P5K/EPU Socket 775 SLI motherboard with a C2D 8200 2.66GHz. My first SLI/XFire capable board!

And a Radeon 3870 from Powercolor.
Some heartless person tried to tear off the waifu from the cooler 🤣

P_20171104_104933.jpg

I also just realized that I own at least one ATI card for every generation from the first rage up until the DX11 era

You probably already know this, but the board is missing a mosfet/vrm heatsink

Reply 19917 of 52929, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
blurks wrote:

Thats a very nice clean looking system.

Reply 19918 of 52929, by Gramcon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought this kludgetastic computer off of EBay, primarily for the case. Probably paid too much, but I have an Intel PR440fx board with dual P2 overdrives that needs an ATX case that is period accurate, and this large tower looks like it will fit the bill! At least, it looks period accurate -- I hope it's not one of those old-looking modern cases. It already has in it a Supermicro P4DC6 board (P4-era Xeon) with what appears to be 2 processors. Then it's got what looks like a Number 9 PCI graphics card from the mid-90's! There's no telling what's going on with this one -- I look forward to it coming in the mail!

Attachments

• s-l16005.jpg
    Filename
    s-l16005.jpg
    File size
    148.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    117.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • s-l500.jpg
    Filename
    s-l500.jpg
    File size
    28.5 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 19919 of 52929, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They broke "the rule" servers have to have ATI Mach 64 graphics period.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.