VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19960 of 52771, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought some cache and a Riva128 PCI from a local market. Unfortunately the card does not work in the machine it was intended for... the P66.

Attachments

• Riva128.jpg
    Filename
    Riva128.jpg
    File size
    668.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Cache02.jpg
    Filename
    Cache02.jpg
    File size
    703.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Cache01.jpg
    Filename
    Cache01.jpg
    File size
    639.94 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 19961 of 52771, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
amadeus777999 wrote:

Bought some cache and a Riva128 PCI from a local market. Unfortunately the card does not work in the machine it was intended for... the P66.

Any idea why it doesn't work? Does it need Pentium 2 and/or MMX maybe?

1982 to 2001

Reply 19962 of 52771, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe PCI ver 1.0.... or (0.98 beta 😁 ) with no 3.3V ???

Edit: ohhhhh, I'm wondering if that's how I ended up with an ISA card in my P60....

Last edited by BitWrangler on 2017-11-08, 14:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19963 of 52771, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote:

Maybe PCI ver 1.0.... or (0.98 beta 😁 ) with no 3.3V ???

EDIT:I had forgotten that, that is a more likely option. The card has both 'indents' so it should work with only 5v? I'm not sure

1982 to 2001

Reply 19964 of 52771, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
looking4awayout wrote:

For native Tualatin motherboard, MSI 694T Pro, QDI Advance 10T-A if you want onboard sound.
The MSI 6309 V2 has the same port arrangement but it's a Coppermine only board. However, you can flash the BIOS with a custom microcode to let it accept Tualatins. I had one in my PC and used the South Korean pin modded 1.4 Tualatin along with the custom BIOS and ran like a breeze. The same CPU is working great on the QDI Advance 10T now (mine has no onboard sound though), a native Tualatin motherboard.

So I was looking at CPU compatibility for the MSI 694T Pro and I see a red X for the 1.4 Tualatin, but not the slower models. Any idea why that might be? Maybe voltage?

www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/694T_Pro_(MS-6309).html

Reply 19965 of 52771, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
looking4awayout wrote:
liqmat wrote:

If any of you guys could give me a suggestion on a good Socket 370 motherboard that supports Tualatin CPUs and fits this port layout:

portlayout.jpg

it would be much appreciated. I have been trying to hunt down an AOpen AX34-U, but those just seem impossible to find. That board fits everything I am looking for. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

For native Tualatin motherboard, MSI 694T Pro, QDI Advance 10T-A if you want onboard sound.
The MSI 6309 V2 has the same port arrangement but it's a Coppermine only board. However, you can flash the BIOS with a custom microcode to let it accept Tualatins. I had one in my PC and used the South Korean pin modded 1.4 Tualatin along with the custom BIOS and ran like a breeze. The same CPU is working great on the QDI Advance 10T now (mine has no onboard sound though), a native Tualatin motherboard.

Anotjer vote for MSI 684T. If ISA is not necessary then Gigabyte GA-6OXT as well.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19966 of 52771, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote:
looking4awayout wrote:

So I was looking at CPU compatibility for the MSI 694T Pro and I see a red X for the 1.4 Tualatin, but not the slower models. Any idea why that might be? Maybe voltage?

www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-MSI/694T_Pro_(MS-6309).html

Well the comment on that page "PIII-S Tualatin 1.4GHz is supported on 694T VER:5.0 with last BIOS." leads me to believe that there's nothing much that will stop it working. Maybe need to use AmiBCP or something to patch in microcode if it's real real important to you to see it say "Tualerwotsit 1.4 SE Turbo 16V" on the startup screen.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19967 of 52771, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a Gateway GP-6 system (manufactured August 2000) that had been sitting at a local second hand store since weeks for 30 Euro. It included speakers with the wrong power supply, and whoever removed the hard disk from the system also ripped off two connectors on the motherboard and two from the front panel connections 😒 . The motherboard connectors are sound-related and probably fixable (nothing looks really broken). The front panel will require some soldering.
I'm actually not too worried about the motherboard because it probably is a rather shitty Intel microATX R1 or R2 board (Socket 370 board that can't take processors faster than 600 MHz or so) with a passively cooled Celeron processor, even though it also should have a on-board AWE 64 sound card.

The system included two optical drives: a rather beaten up LG 32 speed, and a little used looking Philips CD writer with a rather neat design. I tried both in my P2 system, and of course the beaten up drive works and the other one refuses to see discs 🤣 . I write "see discs" because it doesn't even attempt to read them, it simply spits them straight out again. Since there's something rattling around in the drive, I suspect there might be some tab broken off internally.

Also included is a floppy drive, floppy cable, two IDE cables, Sweex 10/100 Mbit network card, Rockwell 56K modem, and two IBM/Infineon 64 Mb 133 MHz SDRAM sticks. Still have to test all of those.

The case is pretty good though, and certainly period correct. Which is good because a system that is in the mail comes with a nice motherboard but a crap case. The only bad thing is the power supply location, right next to the motherboard instead of above it.

Oh, and the case has a sticker with a Windows 98SE key on it.

Maybe 30 Euro was a bit much for this all.

Last edited by yawetaG on 2017-11-09, 19:57. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 19968 of 52771, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh as I was reading down that, I was mentally going "LG 32 speed" bet it still works, "Philips CD writer" bet it's dead ... 🤣

Edit: IMO, LG 16-52x drives are mulletproof, and early mass market CD writers were failure prone from most brands, think I only have a hitachi survivor.

Reply 19969 of 52771, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote:

Edit: IMO, LG 16-52x drives are mulletproof, and early mass market CD writers were failure prone from most brands, think I only have a hitachi survivor.

Yeah those LG drives always had sensible haircuts 🤣

Reply 19970 of 52771, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll probably try opening up the Philips and cleaning the lens, and if that fails see if I can retrofit the front bezel on another drive, because it has a spring-loaded door hiding the actual drive door (I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff).

At least I now have a spare CD-ROM drive for my P2, even though the 20 year old and heavily used Mitsumi drive in it is still working pretty well. 😁

Motherboard appears to be a Intel 810 chipset board, no board model indication to be found - Intel CA810E, if Google images is to be believed, so it may suck slightly less than expected (if I can get it to work) - so it's actually a WL810E, for which no manual can be found, and which has horrible onboard graphics (and supposedly onboard AudioPCI 128).

Edit: motherboard connectors fixed - the crude way, simply enlarged the holes in the plastic bits that had been ripped off with a drill and slid them back onto the pins. Here's hoping that the brute force that was used to remove them didn't break any motherboard traces...

Last edited by yawetaG on 2017-11-09, 19:58. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 19971 of 52771, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sirlemonhead wrote:
BitWrangler wrote:

Yeah those LG drives always had sensible haircuts 🤣

Heh heh, my meaning is that whatever white trash owned it and used it as a beer holder, it still works!

Reply 19972 of 52771, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
yawetaG wrote:

The only bad thing is the power supply location, right next to the motherboard instead of above it.

Is this a tower?

Last edited by liqmat on 2017-11-08, 17:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19973 of 52771, by c0keb0ttle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bought these beauties on a local trading site:

IMG_2339.JPG
Filename
IMG_2339.JPG
File size
508.42 KiB
Views
File comment
SB AWE64 Gold + memory
File license

I haven't tested it yet, but I think that's a 24MB memory module.

Both are in near mint condition.

Reply 19974 of 52771, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

The only bad thing is the power supply location, right next to the motherboard instead of above it.

Is this a tower?

Yup, but one that is quite wide and not very deep. So to avoid that the rear of the optical drives touch the power supply (if it was in the top of the tower), they moved it down to right next to the processor. The power supply also isn't very powerful, so perhaps I'll have to get creative when it becomes time to put another motherboard in this case.

Reply 19975 of 52771, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
c0keb0ttle wrote:
Bought these beauties on a local trading site: […]
Show full quote

Bought these beauties on a local trading site:

IMG_2339.JPG

I haven't tested it yet, but I think that's a 24MB memory module.

Both are in near mint condition.

Them's 1M x 16bit EDO chips and you got 12 of them, so 24MB no doubt! Wow that's rare. I wonder why the board isn't colored in gold.

Reply 19976 of 52771, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
amadeus777999 wrote:

Any idea why it doesn't work? Does it need Pentium 2 and/or MMX maybe?

The card has two notches so it should support both voltages... it's old enough. Can't imagine that the firmware checks for Instruction Set support... highly unlikely.
The reason for it failing could have to do with "bus-mastering capabilities" which seem to be required... but take this with a huge grain of salt!
The card works on the LS486E though, which refuses to work with the Radeon 9250 for example. I hope that it will also work on the HOT433 as I really dig the Riva(even more so the TNT albeit former seems more fitting in regards to the classic era).

Reply 19977 of 52771, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ATI Rage 128 pro!

P_20171108_195543[1].jpg
Filename
P_20171108_195543[1].jpg
File size
919 KiB
Views
File license

EDIT: who's gonna get to 1000 pages first? 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 19978 of 52771, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Munx wrote:

ATI Rage 128 pro!

P_20171108_195543[1].jpg

EDIT: who's gonna get to 1000 pages first? 🤣

I'll gladly spam post to get to 1000th page first.

EDIT:

Ok all joking aside. I bought a Mad dog UV green round braided/shielded IDE cable today.
Nice card by the way Munx.