Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 20460 of 52615, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED
Predator99 wrote:
Hmmm I dont think so. They are looking intact however. If anybody is interested let me know... I will test the 2 Mainboards (Soc […]
Show full quote
FesterBlatz wrote:

That's only a minor problem assuming they weren't damaged from the coolers being roughly removed. Are any of them interesting?

Predator99 wrote:

Also other intersting parts in the box. Unfortunately he removed all coolers from the graphics cards, therefore useless 😵

Hmmm I dont think so. They are looking intact however. If anybody is interested let me know...
I will test the 2 Mainboards (Socket 7 + 462).

IMG_9937.JPG
IMG_9938.JPG
IMG_9939.JPG

That's SK& board looks neat.

Reply 20462 of 52615, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The motherboards both appear to be missing the BIOS EEPROMs unfortunately.

Predator99 wrote:

Hmmm I dont think so. They are looking intact however. If anybody is interested let me know...
I will test the 2 Mainboards (Socket 7 + 462).

Reply 20463 of 52615, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Basically speaking. The 5x86-100gp x4 is running at 133mhz. Making it somewhat identical to a Cyrix 5x86-133 model??

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 20464 of 52615, by FesterBlatz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's certainly my plan! Whether or not it'll work reliably at that speed remains to be seen.

brostenen wrote:

Basically speaking. The 5x86-100gp x4 is running at 133mhz. Making it somewhat identical to a Cyrix 5x86-133 model??

Reply 20465 of 52615, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FesterBlatz wrote:

That's certainly my plan! Whether or not it'll work reliably at that speed remains to be seen.

brostenen wrote:

It is supposed to run at 4x25mhz. Overclocked it will be running at 133mhz, not stock. With a bit of good cooling/little voltage it should work fine at 133mhz.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 20467 of 52615, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
yawetaG wrote:

Also picked up this fairly beaten up Yamaha Special XG CD-ROM (although I hope the actual CD-ROM is in a better condition than the case...):

The attachment yamaha special cdrom 1.jpg is no longer available

These kind of CD-ROMs usually were included with later versions of Yamaha MIDI modules or keyboards, and include upgrades not included in the original release. This one should contain MIDI files specially developed for XG modules, pictures of some Yamaha-sponsored artist, and some Mac and PC software.

Received this bugger, and it seems I struck gold, as it's likely the CD-ROM that was included with Yamaha's OPL-4 Sound Edge sound card. Which means it includes the drivers and utilities for that (rare) sound card, including Voyetra Audio Station and an utility to convert Roland GS MIDI files to General MIDI files. Besides that, it has the Yamaha CBX-T3 driver for Windows 3.1, beta drivers for Windows 95 and NT, demos of Visual Arranger and Score Reader, MacOS classic drivers, 6 HyperGroove demo MIDI files, 10 Yamaha demo XG MIDI songs from various artists, and some low resolution images of this Daisuke Asakura Live album.

IMG_9072.jpg
Filename
IMG_9072.jpg
File size
204.66 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_9073.jpg
Filename
IMG_9073.jpg
File size
132.49 KiB
Views
File license
Last edited by yawetaG on 2017-12-01, 06:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 20468 of 52615, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Also picked up this fairly beaten up Yamaha Special XG CD-ROM (although I hope the actual CD-ROM is in a better condition than the case...):

These kind of CD-ROMs usually were included with later versions of Yamaha MIDI modules or keyboards, and include upgrades not included in the original release. This one should contain MIDI files specially developed for XG modules, pictures of some Yamaha-sponsored artist, and some Mac and PC software.

Received this bugger, and it seems I struck gold, as it's likely the CD-ROM that was included with Yamaha's OPL-4 Sound Edge sound card. Which means it includes the drivers and utilities for that (rare) sound card, including Voyetra Audio Station and an utility to convert Roland GS MIDI files to General MIDI files. Besides that, it has the Yamaha CBX-T3 driver for Windows 3.1, beta drivers for Windows 95 and NT, demos of Visual Arranger and Score Reader, MacOS classic drivers, 6 HyperGroove demo MIDI files, 10 Yamaha demo XG MIDI songs from various artists, and some low resolution images of this Daisuke Asakura Live album.

I would be very interested in an ISO of that CD. Would also be great if it could be uploaded to vogonsdrivers.

Now for what I have on the way.
A Cardinal Technologies MPC700/DSP16 sound card. Kinda rare and usually overpriced because of that. One of the sellers that had one listed for months and months finally discounted it 50% so I picked it up.
Sellers pic:

Cardinal-DSP16.jpg
Filename
Cardinal-DSP16.jpg
File size
180.23 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 20469 of 52615, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Matrox G550 32MB PCI video card for less than $10 shipped. Also picked up an LFH-60 dual VGA adapter for it as well.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 20470 of 52615, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
I would be very interested in an ISO of that CD. Would also be great if it could be uploaded to vogonsdrivers. […]
Show full quote
yawetaG wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

yamaha special cdrom 1.jpg

I would be very interested in an ISO of that CD. Would also be great if it could be uploaded to vogonsdrivers.

Now for what I have on the way.
A Cardinal Technologies MPC700/DSP16 sound card. Kinda rare and usually overpriced because of that. One of the sellers that had one listed for months and months finally discounted it 50% so I picked it up.
Sellers pic:

Cardinal-DSP16.jpg

Ahhh I've had my eye on that for ages! It is the MPC700, but it's missing the wavetable upgrade socket that mine has (so I guess that was what the Plus was all about). Haven't really had the cash to splash on a backup, but it's a nice buy 😀 Some time ago I posted in another thread with a pic of mine:

Re: List of rarest PC soundcards

Also, if you look in System Specs, my 386 build has an Adaptec sound card in it which has the same controller on it as these Cardinal cards - and it's a full SCSI controller, rather than just being limited to CD-ROMs.

Last edited by JidaiGeki on 2017-12-01, 03:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 20471 of 52615, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ What's special about the MPC700? Analog Devices chipsets were used on a ton of cards, and there were other sound cards with SCSI too. Is it just desirable because it's rare or does it offer something unique?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 20472 of 52615, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

^^ What's special about the MPC700? Analog Devices chipsets were used on a ton of cards, and there were other sound cards with SCSI too. Is it just desirable because it's rare or does it offer something unique?

I thought it was kind of rare as it's not a card that gets talked about at all, unlike Creative/Adlib/Aureal cards, but don't know how special it is. If you search for info about the cards, you find that the owners back in the day complained about rubbish drivers and poor support from Cardinal, so I doubt it got much love or sold in large numbers.

Reply 20473 of 52615, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

A Matrox G550 32MB PCI video card for less than $10 shipped. Also picked up an LFH-60 dual VGA adapter for it as well.

For the GX1? Good call, I considered a G450 for a while before ending up using a Radeon 9250 myself.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 20474 of 52615, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:

It has a AD ECHO DSP on it. Was supposedly going to get different upgrades, etc. through software but Cardinal basically ditched it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 20475 of 52615, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

For the GX1? Good call, I considered a G450 for a while before ending up using a Radeon 9250 myself.

Yup!

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 20476 of 52615, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
JidaiGeki wrote:

Also, if you look in System Specs, my 386 build has an Adaptec sound card in it which has the same controller on it as these Cardinal cards - and it's a full SCSI controller, rather than just being limited to CD-ROMs.

What drivers are you using for your Adaptec card? The only thing I could find was a DOS install utility on Adaptec's site.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 20477 of 52615, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
yawetaG wrote:
yawetaG wrote:

Guess it's time to actually get an account for the Internet Archive's CD-ROM repository...

The only thing to keep in mind about the Yamaha CD-ROM is that it was made for the Japanese market, so most of the programs and documentation are in Japanese - but not the Sound Edge utilities (checked those; they only suffer from an installer that tries to install them to the CD-ROM itself 🤣 ).

Other stuff received yesterday:

Japanese Singer Songwriter 4.0, released in 1998 for a whopping 38,000 yen:

IMG_9074.jpg
Filename
IMG_9074.jpg
File size
125.17 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_9075.jpg
Filename
IMG_9075.jpg
File size
160.54 KiB
Views
File license

The box is pretty much mint. Manuals:

IMG_9076.jpg
Filename
IMG_9076.jpg
File size
150.55 KiB
Views
File license

Unfortunately, these show the software is almost entirely in Japanese, except curiously for a large part of the dialog boxes (IIRC, the way certain Windows 3.1/95 programming toolkits worked back in the day, changing menu text was easier than dialog box text). Singer Songwriter did have a English-language release way back at version 1.0, so I guess they kept the option for an English version open in later versions...
The manuals themselves are exemplary:
- quick start guide that is actually useful, as it explains all of the basics.
- advanced guide
- reference manual
- music theory book (I'd love to see an English version of this, it just looks so good...)
- hardware set-up guide that explains how to hook up your PC with a variety of popular desktop audio production set-ups. Based on this one I suspect the program has support for a crapton of then-popular MIDI modules.

CD-ROMs:

IMG_9077.jpg
Filename
IMG_9077.jpg
File size
136 KiB
Views
File license

The Hypergroove hybrid CD-ROM contains MIDI samples and loops, and also audio tracks. The actual software CD has Korg's, Yamaha's, and Roland's MIDI drivers for Windows, Karaoke Station, Roland VSC-55 and VSC-88M software MIDI players, Yamaha S-YG20 (Win95 version) and S-YXG50 software MIDI players, Yamaha XG tools, VL Editor, XG-to-sysex converter, XG-viewer, some tool called XG checker, MIDI plug-ins for Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator, and a offline copy of the then-website of Yamaha(!), and then there's Singer Songwriter 4.0 of course, with samples, MIDI files, sysex support for a variety of modules, etc.

Also, gotta love the name of the maker of Singer Songwriter: INTERNET. 😘

Reply 20478 of 52615, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And finally (in more ways than one):

IMG_9078.jpg
Filename
IMG_9078.jpg
File size
175.65 KiB
Views
File license
IMG_9079.jpg
Filename
IMG_9079.jpg
File size
233.06 KiB
Views
File license

This is the limited edition of Broken Thunder. Broken Thunder is a doujin game from Japan that's based off the popular 1980s/1990s Tec(h)nosoft shoot 'em up series Thunder Force and that was the center of a clusterfuck of epic proportions because one of the makers thought he had the rights to the whole franchise while he had not. On top of that the game was partially unfinished and bug-ridden, and a patch to fix the issues was promised but never materialized. This resulted in his band breaking up, his work not being featured in subsequent Tec(h)nosoft games, and the game being pulled from retail shelves in Japan. 😵
The difference between the limited edition and the regular edition is the front cover and that the limited version includes an audio CD.

But apparently the recall wasn't executed very well because it pops up for sale now and then anyway... 😎 The trick is to get it for a decent price, so when it showed up for 100 yen buy it now I didn't know how fast I had to be to snatch it up. Only took me a few years to find it at such a price. 🤣

Reply 20479 of 52615, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Literally stumbled across these so I bought the lot for $12.

med_gallery_60983_11505_226319.jpg
Pentium MMX 200 (The only MMX CPU I didn't have, and hopefully one I can downclock to 100MHz by connecting an FSB jumper to the Turbo button, so yeah)

med_gallery_60983_11505_529559.jpg
Savage4 LT 8MB (I bought it thinking it were a Pro 16MB, never knew they made AGP cards of the LT chip.. Appears to be 2x only too)

med_gallery_60983_11505_456673.jpg
Never saw a Trio64+Scenic combo card before, and never saw a Trio64 upgradable to 4MB before, so yeah, got this. This will go into my P133 build.

EDIT: This also came in the mail today, so I guess I can just edit it in:

med_gallery_60983_11505_52376.jpg
HIS Radeon 7000 PCI 64MB

Last edited by appiah4 on 2017-12-01, 13:12. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.