VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21260 of 52811, by MiniBits

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Hmm I had ordered a Geforce 256 32MB (Creative CT6940) card which arrived today, but in the package the seller had also tossed a Asus V9570GE, guess those 20 bucks are well spent then, don't have any plans for the extra card, but guess I have it now, if I ever make another weird project build... Link to one just like it here: https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b1810/asus- … 0-gamer-edition

Guess he couldn't be bothered selling it or something.

Reply 21262 of 52811, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I have a 6u rackmount case on the way... single potato camera pic really makes it hard to tell if it is 5u or 6u. The description was pretty horrible as well. Unclear if this is just a case or a complete system.
Either way, they have been trying to sell it for so long I am guessing they are not really making much on it after shipping.

rackmount.jpg
Filename
rackmount.jpg
File size
13.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If it is just a case, I am hoping to put these in it:
14 ISA slot backplane

isa-backplane.jpg
Filename
isa-backplane.jpg
File size
343.71 KiB
Views
File license

386-40 with 387 SBC

386-sbc.jpg
Filename
386-sbc.jpg
File size
147.04 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21264 of 52811, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got another package today.

A bare motherboard wrapped in bubble wrap. You may have seen this exact motherboard offered on Amibay but as I'm not a member there I bought it from Ebay. I only noticed it beeing offered on Amibay when I did a search after I bought it. I feel it's for the best that I do not join Amibay anyhow...

When it comes to wrapping motherboards in bubble wrap without any ESD protection, please dont! When someone pays 85 euro (shipped) for a motherboard that someone kind of expect an ESD bag...

If one wants to build the optimal Pentium III based Y2K-system this motherboard is a good candidate as the VIA Apollo Pro 266 chipset officially launched in September year 2000. like AMDs DDR chipset (760) for the Athlon It was kind of vaporware the first months though and got replaced by the Tualatin ready Apollo Pro 266T half a year later. It was very possible to own a dual Coppermine system with an Apollo Pro 266 motherboard in year 2000 though if you were "connected" as demo systems traveled computer exhibitions from early spring and onwards. After doing a quick search the first record I found of an Apollo Pro 266 motherboard actually bought in retail was from the second half of December 2000 with reviews starting to pop up in January.

Iwill DVD266

Iwill DVD266.JPG
Filename
Iwill DVD266.JPG
File size
3.93 MiB
Views
File license

The motherboard lives so it seems it survived the bubble wrap treatment but for once I will actually do an OS install before giving the seller positive feedback.

Iwill DVD266 health monitor.JPG
Filename
Iwill DVD266 health monitor.JPG
File size
3.83 MiB
Views
File license

Edit

The motherboard seems to work fine. I did an XP install and I'm doing some quick 3d benchmarks while I write this.

A system like this should run Windows 2000 though but the XP disc was the first one I found.

/Edit

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 21265 of 52811, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Spent 20$ on an early 2000s vintage beige Aopen case and PSU with the following goodies :
- Intel D850GB socket 423 desktop board
- Pentium 4 1.5GHz
- 4x 128MB RIMMs
- Inno3D Geforce 2 MX400 (not a GF4 MX460, as I originally thought) that probably needs new caps or some other fix (very faint horizontal fast-moving lines)
- Yamaha YMF744 based sound card with S/PDIF optical out and SB-Link/PC-PCI header
- various optical drives, hard drives, a modem, Ethernet card and a Firewire card

I only really have a use for the Yamaha-based sound card . The rest is useless to me for now, even as spare parts (have plenty of those already) . How I wish there was to give all this someone who could use it without having to auction it off (too lazy for that). Even if I am not a Pentium 4 amateur, it still breaks my heart to recycle even only the case and board, but I my already very understanding wife might just flip if I give yet another gutted homeless PC a roof .

Reply 21266 of 52811, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mailman just brought me this beauty.
Canopus Spectra 5400 or... 5400PE - label sais this or this, so I have tu run it to check witch one in it 😒

Attachments

• Spectra5400.jpg
    Filename
    Spectra5400.jpg
    File size
    260.02 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Canopus Spectra 5400 or 5400PE
    File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 21267 of 52811, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some more new year gifts for myself, and a lot of disappointment.

First, a UMC I/O Control card. I used to own only one of these, an Acer card, a second one was needed to re-test an old motherboard I had weird DMA issues with.

UMC_IO_Control_Card.jpg

Second, a Sound Blaster 16 CT2920. Interestingly this card does not feature on Creative's own list of products, but appears to ba a CT2290 with a CT1705B added for ISA PnP.

Creative_Sound_Blaster_16_CT2920_CT1745_A_CT1705_B_CT1747.jpg

And lastly, a Diamond Monster 3D II 8MB. A card I used to own back in the day along with a cursed i740. My first taste of 3D accelerated graphics. I was so excited to get this..

Diamond_Monster_3_D_II_8_MB.jpg

Yet, it's damaged. One of the TMUs has its first pin seperated from the PCB. Lucky that it's just Pin 1, I can probably fix it with a not-so clean solder job..

Diamond_Monster_3_D_II_8_MB_Damage.jpg

Does anyone know if Pin 1 on 3dfx 500-0010-01 chips is actually needed? Crossing fingers to hear that it's a GND that the chip can function without..

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-01-12, 12:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21268 of 52811, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote:
Spent 20$ on an early 2000s vintage beige Aopen case and PSU with the following goodies : - Intel D850GB socket 423 desktop boar […]
Show full quote

Spent 20$ on an early 2000s vintage beige Aopen case and PSU with the following goodies :
- Pentium 4 1.5GHz
- 4x 128MB RIMMs
- Inno3D Geforce 2 MX400 (not a GF4 MX460, as I originally thought) that probably needs new caps or some other fix (very faint horizontal fast-moving lines)
- Yamaha YMF744 based sound card with S/PDIF optical out and SB-Link/PC-PCI header
- various optical drives, hard drives, a modem, Ethernet card and a Firewire card

I only really have a use for the Yamaha-based sound card . The rest is useless to me for now, even as spare parts (have plenty of those already) . How I wish there was to give all this someone who could use it without having to auction it off (too lazy for that). Even if I am not a Pentium 4 amateur, it still breaks my heart to recycle even only the case and board, but I my already very understanding wife might just flip if I give yet another gutted homeless PC a roof .

Socket 423 systems are fairly uncommon these days. I dismantled one a few years ago and now I regret it... I only have the CPU and motherboard now. I'm pretty sure I got rid of the cooler and mounting bracket.... Urghh..

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21269 of 52811, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up a TI4800 for £7 but it was listed as untested (with these older AGP cards I can believe that), so I don't think it's too much risk but I'll be crossing my fingers anyway.

Reply 21270 of 52811, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Some more new year gifts for myself, and a lot of disappointment. <snip> Yet, it's damaged. One of the TMUs has its first pin s […]
Show full quote

Some more new year gifts for myself, and a lot of disappointment.
<snip>
Yet, it's damaged. One of the TMUs has its first pin seperated from the PCB. Lucky that it's just Pin 1, I can probably fix it with a not-so clean solder job..

<snip>

Does anyone know if Pin 1 on 3dfx 500-0010-01 chips is actually needed? Crossing fingers to hear that it's a GND that the chip can function without..

This happens a lot unfortunately. Those pins/chips are so fragile. I looks repairable to me, with patience.

1982 to 2001

Reply 21271 of 52811, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recent CPU purchases - not tested yet.

S0kpOtFl.jpg

Most descriptions aren't needed but here goes for some:

Pentium Overdrives are POD5V83
TI486SXL2-66 is 132-pin for 386DX upgrade
Pentium MMX is the slowest MMX running at 133MHz

RapidCAD-1 (the big chip) had one pin bent quite badly but it was an easy fix in the end 😀

Now I just need one free day to test them 🤣

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 21272 of 52811, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Where on earth did you find that TISXL2-66? I've been looking for one myself, and I guess maybe eBay alone doesn't cut it.

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 21274 of 52811, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
https://s5.postimg.org/6exkffhyr/Diamond_Monster_3_D_II_8_MB_Damage.jpg […]
Show full quote

Diamond_Monster_3_D_II_8_MB_Damage.jpg

Aww. That is totally fixable!

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 21275 of 52811, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have a Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 CT1600 on the way now. Got is for a really good price considering what they have been going for for a long time now.

CT1600.jpg
Filename
CT1600.jpg
File size
409 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21276 of 52811, by CelGen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was a *new and unused* 60gb Maxtor Diamondmax that was $10.

CGS_7798.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_7798.jpg

CGS_7800.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_7800.jpg

CGS_7799.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_7799.jpg

I'd use it if I didn't already know that the Diamondmax line was a series of turds.

emot-science.gif "It's science. I ain't gotta explain sh*t" emot-girl.gif

Reply 21277 of 52811, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
CelGen wrote:

I'd use it if I didn't already know that the Diamondmax line was a series of turds.

Ah, I vaguely remember a highly unpleasant experience with a Maxtor drive and an NForce 4 board .

Reply 21278 of 52811, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:
darry wrote:
Spent 20$ on an early 2000s vintage beige Aopen case and PSU with the following goodies : - Intel D850GB socket 423 desktop boar […]
Show full quote

- Pentium 4 1.5GHz
- 4x 128MB RIMMs

Socket 423 systems are fairly uncommon these days. I dismantled one a few years ago and now I regret it... I only have the CPU and motherboard now. I'm pretty sure I got rid of the cooler and mounting bracket.... Urghh..

I was going to get one of those RIMM based P4s as a novelty but never bothered to. The vast majority of the ones made probably went directly into the recycling bin and might be worth something someday.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 21279 of 52811, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CelGen wrote:
There was a *new and unused* 60gb Maxtor Diamondmax that was $10. […]
Show full quote

There was a *new and unused* 60gb Maxtor Diamondmax that was $10.

CGS_7798.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_7798.jpg

CGS_7800.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_7800.jpg

CGS_7799.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a166/ballsa … ed/CGS_7799.jpg

I got one sealed for $20 at a thrift store months ago, and that was when Maxtor bought out the Quantum company in 2001 hence the design.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser