VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21480 of 52741, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This showed up at my door today. Its a Yamaha SW-60 XG, as far as I know its just an ISA card version of the well known Yamaha DB50XG daughterboard or at least something quite similar. Quite a nice thing is that it doesn't need any DMA or IRQ, you just jumper address and of you go. It works like a charm, although I'm not immensely impressed by the soundfont, its quite nice in Doom but I find its trumpet and flute quite weak. Drums are good though. It made me wonder which games actually specifically support XG, but I couldn't find a list anywhere.

Attachments

• 20180118_134728.jpg
    Filename
    20180118_134728.jpg
    File size
    4.91 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21481 of 52741, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a new Commodore 64 PSU (serviceable and 2 fuses for the 5VDC and 9VAC lines) on eBay for my C64 that lost its PSU.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 21482 of 52741, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Bought a new Commodore 64 PSU (serviceable and 2 fuses for the 5VDC and 9VAC lines) on eBay for my C64 that lost its PSU.

Cool. I've been looking for an aftermarket power supply for my C64s the past few days, but they seem a bit expensive. I think I can put together a decent power supply for $35. But I still have two good bricks working.

I bought two 6510s from a seller in Hong Kong. I have had a dead C64 sitting in a box for about 17 years and only yesterday did I take it apart to diagnose the problem.

Reply 21483 of 52741, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Eleanor1967 wrote:

This showed up at my door today. Its a Yamaha SW-60 XG, as far as I know its just an ISA card version of the well known Yamaha DB50XG daughterboard or at least something quite similar. Quite a nice thing is that it doesn't need any DMA or IRQ, you just jumper address and of you go. It works like a charm, although I'm not immensely impressed by the soundfont, its quite nice in Doom but I find its trumpet and flute quite weak. Drums are good though. It made me wonder which games actually specifically support XG, but I couldn't find a list anywhere.

Final Fantasy 7 and 8 support XG. There are a few other games out there but not sure what they are.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21484 of 52741, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

I'd guess it was misaligned later. But it shouldn't pose any problem as the card will fit into AGP slot.

Well it arrived.. and works!

3dfx_Voodoo_3_3000_TV-_Out_AGP_B.jpg

Also got this gritty yellowed AT case because a friend asked me to put together a Pentium DOS PC for him. Now I need to hunt down a Socket 7 board.

AT_Case_D.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21486 of 52741, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This Intellistation still hasn't come yet. It was supposed to be here Tuesday. USPS tracking still says the following, with no updates since:

January 15, 2018 at 12:46 pm In Transit to Destination

Annoying.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 21487 of 52741, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Still working on getting a case for my 386 single board computer and 14-slot ISA backplane. The case I had bought before ended up not being a case, but an enclosure to put a case in. The seller canceled the order and gave me a refund before it shipped.

Now I have this on the way.

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
111.73 KiB
Views
File license
drive_bays.jpg
Filename
drive_bays.jpg
File size
171.6 KiB
Views
File license
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
149.58 KiB
Views
File license
model.jpg
Filename
model.jpg
File size
131.73 KiB
Views
File license

Got it for a decent amount less than the seller was asking and way, way, way less than what similar models were listed for from different sellers.

It will definitely work AND I am guessing it has a segmented backplane with both PCI and ISA slots, which means I may possibly be able to keep what is already installed in there, which could be anything from a Pentium to a Pentium 4, and also put the 386 SBC in there.

Since it has XP, I am guessing it is at least a Pentium III.

Fun thing I found out while looking up these cases. You can swap out the backplane slot hardware and put in one that works with a normal ATX motherboard.. not that I would ever want to do that.

Finding any information on this specific model has been pretty impossible as Axiomtek doesn't even have any documentation at all available on their website from what I could find. Oldest they have on there is LGA775 stuff.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21488 of 52741, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've heard about those systems. Industries used them and when it was time for an upgrade, they only purchased and installed a better SBC board. That system'll make an amazing gaming rig or as a server. I wonder if you can put two of the same cards in there and have a dual CPU setup, or is that impossible?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 21489 of 52741, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, two days ago I drove about a hundred miles to pick up a gigantic lot of old computer parts and misc electronics from a guy who did PC repair for about 30 years. While he did get rid of a lot of other stuff over the past few years, I'm very very pleased with what I've brought home. Especially because it cost me more in fuel to drive there and back than it did for me to actually buy the stuff.

I have computer components that go back to the mid 80s... and even one set of circuit boards from GRI dated 1969! There's a pile of 486 boards (most have significant battery corrosion damage but I'll see if any can be salvaged), WANG 286-10Mhz parts, 1987 Tandy 386-16Mhz parts, Olivetti parts from the early 80s, Socket 7, Super Socket 7, Slot 1, heaps of cables, bay covers and adapters, a Mitsumi Double Speed CDROM with controller card and cables, a couple hundred 3.5 and 5.25 floppies in storage cases (some original, mostly copies), Compaq KVM switch. There's also an original set of CheckIt Portable disks (two floppies) from 2000, with a PCI post code tester and an assortment of tester dongles that you attach to serial, PS2, and parallel ports. There was even a whole bunch of portable electronics that all seem to work. A Palm Vx, Everex WindowsCE handheld, Dell Inspiron 1100 (P4 2.4, 845G, Windows XP, 1GB RAM), and even a fairly decent Motorola MZ609 8.2" Android tablet that works really well (except for a loose charging port but it works fine you you charge it face down).

I also brought home an early-80s era Xerox daisy wheel printer with a ton of accessories, ribbons, cases of different wheel type sets and an auto-feeding assembly. He said it worked when it was last used... I hate printers but I can't wait to try this thing out. It is even in its original box with the foam packaging (it is certainly used however).

There was a lot more than this too. I packed my entire car full of stuff. To my astonishment, there wasn't a single ISA soundcard (aside from a Crystal base sound\modem combo) and there were very very few video cards. I'm assuming he got rid of these at some point in the past. Bummer!

... there was also an adorable little tiny Matrox card from 1997 that I totally didn't expect to find in this lot. 😉

Will post pics as I get a chance to take them. This is a lot of stuff to go through...

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21490 of 52741, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Now I have this on the way.
[Cool pictures]

SCORE!

"The Big Bang. The ultimate hero of low frequency. The divine intergalactical bass drum connecting the tribes of our solar system."
Yello
"Solar Driftwood"

Reply 21491 of 52741, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

I've heard about those systems. Industries used them and when it was time for an upgrade, they only purchased and installed a better SBC board. That system'll make an amazing gaming rig or as a server. I wonder if you can put two of the same cards in there and have a dual CPU setup, or is that impossible?

Funny thing about upgrading via an SBC board is that if you buy them new, you might as well just purchase a whole new system for what they cost.

What you do get in regards to being really good though is higher quality components, a massive number of expansion slots and being rack mountable, depending on the chassis you use.

This one is "only" 14 slots. They max out at 20 slots.

It will be a gaming rig.

Each SBC board acts as a separate computer. There are SBC boards with two CPU sockets though. If I can get one super cheap I may do that at some point. Who knows, maybe I'll be lucky and there already is a dual CPU SBC in there.

EDIT: So I think I know which backplane and which SBC are installed in that system based on the location of the SBC and the fact that it has an AT keyboard port.

Backplane - Axiomtek ATX6022
http://us.axiomtek.com/Download/download/ATX6 … /ATX6022-14.pdf

That particular arrangement of ports is only on a few different boards, and only the two below that are PCI/ISA that I could find.

SBC - Axiomtek SBC81868 (S370 - PIII/PIIIS)

SBC8168-cropped.jpg
Filename
SBC8168-cropped.jpg
File size
941.68 KiB
Views
File license

It could also be the SBC81870 (Pentium M) , but unless they had a different revision with a black VGA port I am guessing it is not.

SBC81870-cropped.jpg
Filename
SBC81870-cropped.jpg
File size
451.76 KiB
Views
File license

There is also the SBC81872 (Pentium M), but that only supports PCI so it would have been pretty pointless to use with a backplane that has mostly ISA slots.

EDIT: See post below for update. I was basically completely wrong on what I thought was installed.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-01-24, 06:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21493 of 52741, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I bought an AGP Nvidia 6800 complete with original software and half the box (inside only)

OrNHsNuh.jpg

fSyIu9xh.jpg

lu0C9T8h.jpg

It needs a power from a molex connector. I don't have any spare do'h! Now I need to swap power supplies with another PC which means everything needs to come out the case, eufhh:(

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 21494 of 52741, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

... there was also an adorable little tiny Matrox card from 1997 that I totally didn't expect to find in this lot. 😉

Could you share a picture of this one, please?

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 21495 of 52741, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Almoststew1990 wrote:

It needs a power from a molex connector. I don't have any spare do'h! Now I need to swap power supplies with another PC which means everything needs to come out the case, eufhh:(

You could always use a Y-splitter to get another molex connector.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21496 of 52741, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hard1k wrote:
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Could you share a picture of this one, please?

Here's a gallery of a bunch of cards in this lot.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/w3kZLnltI … 5sj1qxAE2AM9RWa

Spoilers: Its an M3D.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 21497 of 52741, by XTac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought a case for my planned build - Cooler Master ATCS 620 in silver. It's a horizontal mATX layout, that holds a full sized ATX power supply, full height addon cards, and still managed to hold two 5,25 inch bays and one floppy slot. Front is aluminium, rest is steel.

20180119_231824.jpg
Filename
20180119_231824.jpg
File size
127.87 KiB
Views
File license
20180119_231840.jpg
Filename
20180119_231840.jpg
File size
125.07 KiB
Views
File license
20180119_231956.jpg
Filename
20180119_231956.jpg
File size
123.73 KiB
Views
File license

I also managed to get this little... USB microscope for a symbollic sum. It's cute. Intel branded, too. Works fine, but needs some lens cleaning I believe.

20180119_232435.jpg
Filename
20180119_232435.jpg
File size
116.33 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 21498 of 52741, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've bought some goodies this week:

NVIDIA GeForce 2 GTS32MB (Dell OEM)
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1024MB (Unbranded)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1280MB (PNY)
HIS ATI Radeon 6790 IceQX 1024MB (I think)

Intel Core2Quad Q6700

Discussing a few more things atm. Trying to start building a DX11 compatible card collection sooner rather than later.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 21499 of 52741, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a lot of Mac goodies today from a thrift store whose owner I have befriended. Everything was free! I'm excited to repair some of them and try some Mac games as I have not ventured into this territory. He had an eMac in the back, and a lot of other keyboards, but he was gonna sell those and hadn't gotten around to pricing it yet.

MAC COMPUTERS:
-Bondi Blue iMac G3 - 233(?) MHz PowerPC 750, 128 MB RAM (not opened up yet). Boots into Mac OS 9.2.2. Missing front CDROM drive cover, not sure if it works or not.
-Power Mac G3 - 350 MHz PPC, 768MB SDRAM, Quantum Fireball 12gb HDD, missing video card. Seems to boot into an OS although I don't own a Mac PCI video card so I can't yet tell what it does. Heatsink is missing its clip so I had to hold it with my hand while testing
-PowerMac G4 "graphite" - 400MHz PPC 7400, 384MB SDRAM, 10gb Quantum fireball HDD, ATI Rage 128 Pro 16mb AGP video. Tries to boot into Mac OS 9.0.4 but just loads to a grey screen with empty taskbar, can boot into no extensions mode (hold down shift when powering on) and explore what files were left.
-PowerMac G4 "quicksilver" - 933MHz PPC 7455, 1.5 GB SDRAM, missing hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 64mb AGP video. Turns on but (obviously) throws a missing disk error because no HDD.
NON COMPUTER APPLE STUFF:
-TWO Apple 17" Studio Monitors. These are really awesome monitors with Trinitron picture tubes and a beautiful picture. They're also hard to find so I'm amazed I got them for free.
-Apple Pro USB keyboard, works fine.

NON MAC STUFF:
-Generic "The Raven" silver PC case with Gigabyte socket A board and Athlon XP of some sort. Haven't opened it up yet, too busy with the Macs. 🤣 A lot of blown caps so it'll probably be a parting out system.

He also said I'm pretty much hired so that's pretty cool. My first job... 😁

Attachments

• 20180119_181123.jpg
    Filename
    20180119_181123.jpg
    File size
    657.26 KiB
    Views
    File license

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA