User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:
Logitech MouseMan Plus PS/2 mouse […]
Show full quote

Logitech MouseMan Plus PS/2 mouse

JTieU6Bm.jpg

Has rubberized sides and a thumb button.

jR7OAU6m.jpg

I used to have one! Loved it to death, so sad I got rid of it when the era of optic mice came.

There also was a blue model with force feedback, that was crazy.

Reply 22821 of 52877, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote:

Still blows my mind that they not only used mobile Rage chips on an AGP card, but that they actually advertised them as such with the Mobility name left intact.

Not as crazy as it sounds. If you don't care about power consumption and thermal budgets, you want the biggest, hottest desktop/workstation part. But if you're looking for maximum performance within a given power/thermal budget, mobile parts frequently are the best option. That applies to CPUs too - look how Intel gave up on the power-hungry Netburst series and replaced them with the Core2Duo, essentially a beefed-up Pentium M, so a laptop part. These days this whole balancing act has been internalized into CPU/GPU cores, with things like Intel's Speedstep and TurboBoost, dynamically clocking cores up and down to either minimize power consumption or to maximize performance on a single (set of) core(s) but clocking the others back to stay within the total thermal budget. Even now, this is mumbo-jumbo to your average user, but it's all about getting maximum performance while not sacrificing stability.

The problem is marketing: people think they understand big numbers, but they don't get thermal budgets. So people trying to sell efficiency as opposed to raw speed tend to fail. At the same time as this Rage Mobility card was being sold, Transmeta was attempting to get the message of efficiency across while selling their Crusoe/Efficeon CPUs. It was a good message, one that Intel has now completely embraced - but back in the early 00's, no one was listening and Transmeta was a commercial failure.

The combination of Crusoe and Rage Mobility is an obvious one. So obvious in fact that the Crusoe board I have has a Rage Mobility chip on it 😉

Reply 22822 of 52877, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a DB15 to VGA adapter with DIP switches so I can use the Macintosh Performa 6300CD.
I also bought a tripod for my Note 4 so I can start making much better quality YT videos. I want to get 1000 subs by 2020. Should be pretty easy at a rate of 2 videos per week.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22823 of 52877, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OldCat wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
Logitech MouseMan Plus PS/2 mouse […]
Show full quote

JTieU6Bm.jpg

Has rubberized sides and a thumb button.

jR7OAU6m.jpg

I used to have one! Loved it to death, so sad I got rid of it when the era of optic mice came.

you should snag one

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 22824 of 52877, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just received TB Fiji... great it has a wavetable connector so I'll put it to my multi-soundcard build together with some daughterboard.

Batyra_turtle beach fiji.jpg
Filename
Batyra_turtle beach fiji.jpg
File size
348.52 KiB
Views
File comment
Turtle Beach Fiji
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 22825 of 52877, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Logitech mouse looks fantastic - Quake approved.

Snagged a few things yesterday...
-Matrox Mystique 2MB
-2 x Sun Blade 2500s
-1 x SyncMaster 957p

.... Skeletor is ferociously pleased with the picture quality and so am I. Best picture thus far - even better than the huge Sun/Sony ones I have.

Attachments

• IMG_1540.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1540.jpg
    File size
    560.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1536.jpg
    File size
    297.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1535.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1535.jpg
    File size
    839.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_1542.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1542.jpg
    File size
    600.25 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 22826 of 52877, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:
OldCat wrote:
oeuvre wrote:

[...]

you should snag one

I'd love to, but it's very hard to find. 😢 And when it pops up, it's prohibitively expensive (seen regular MouseMan Plus for more than a hundred dollars!).

Reply 22827 of 52877, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, looks like the gods of Vintage Computing were smiling down on Seattle when RE-PC moved their Tukwila store - went in there, looks like they started catering to us VOGONS types, 🤣. They had no less than FOUR Bins of 80386-PII hardware - my JAW hit the floor! The prices are not bad too...

Bought this PC Chips M919 (complete with fake Cache 🤣) - my first of these dreaded monstrosities - It's being slowly tweaked, EEPROM Burned, and fixed up into a decent backup for my 486's FIC 486-PVT board. Tried it out with the DX2-66 last night, seems whoever last tried to update the BIOS failed the flash - as the PC Analyser codes are F0 FF - meaning that it's looking for AMIBIOS.BIN on track 0 - so before too long I shalt fix it up with the latest Flash BIOS and test it out.

20180407_213730.jpg
Filename
20180407_213730.jpg
File size
195.36 KiB
Views
File comment
PC Chips M919 V 3.4
File license

And grabbed a PC Chips M571 Socket 7 board, to replace the cantankerous Intel Desktop Board in the Gateway with - as the Gateway just was never stable due to the wonky PnP on that board (would make a great DOS system though - but Windows 95 any IDE operations involving the CD-ROM or heavy hared disk use would trigger a hard reboot). So I put this monster in there, and it's a MUCH better board being Super Socket 7 rather than Socket 5 and having the update PnP management, actually better than I remember SS7 being when I used it as my primary system in the early-mid 2000's. Running it with the Pentium 100 - no more graphics LAG! Sorry but I'm not very keen on running a Pentium class system with a ISA 1MB SVGA card.

20180407_214212.jpg
Filename
20180407_214212.jpg
File size
198.25 KiB
Views
File comment
PC Chips M571
File license

Also nabbed up a cool little serial trackpad, I did not take a picture of it yet, but maybe I'll add it later. Works pretty good - a good interposter till we fully move as I plan to be using my 486 more and more. I'm getting kind of tired of doing everything the modern way and have been on a rampage of clearing out a lot of my old accounts and old stuff on the internet.

Oh, and I almost forgot, while there I found my first AT 386 Motherboard - meaning FULL AT - in the wild. I did not buy it, but if someone wants to populate a full AT case with the giant painting sized motherboard that fills out the floor of the case - here's one. Not sure what they are asking. Their prices are all based on what they find online. The M919 was $20, but the M571 was $50.

20180407_151922.jpg
Filename
20180407_151922.jpg
File size
220.15 KiB
Views
File comment
Full Size AT Motherboard 80386 DX-20
File license

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 22828 of 52877, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This fatty right here! GTX 295 from Palit.

P_20180409_173358.jpg
Filename
P_20180409_173358.jpg
File size
423.52 KiB
Views
File license

I know the card itself is a bit new to be considered retro, however that can't be said about the VHS tech that it's no doubt based on, so I'm posting it in this thread

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 22829 of 52877, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To accompany the IO Data GM module, I've also bought a Korg AG-10 that's pretty much complete:

ag10_1.jpg
Filename
ag10_1.jpg
File size
351.83 KiB
Views
File license

Unfortunately the software that's included is for the NEC PC-98 platform, but I have a CD with the Korg serial driver on it.

Also got my paws on this for a low price:

ratoc pcmcia card.jpg
Filename
ratoc pcmcia card.jpg
File size
72.82 KiB
Views
File license

This is a PCI PCMCIA card adapter that can use both 16-bit and 32-bit cards, using the ISA bridge board that should be included.

Reply 22830 of 52877, by Captain NA

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Munx wrote:

This fatty right here! GTX 295 from Palit.

P_20180409_173358.jpg

I know the card itself is a bit new to be considered retro, however that can't be said about the VHS tech that it's no doubt based on, so I'm posting it in this thread

Haha, so brilliant! 🤣 Remember having seen similar combination on a FB post lately.

Just fooling around.

Reply 22833 of 52877, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picked all this up for $15

• PS/2 mouse and parallel bracket (unfortunately not the right pinout for my motherboard)
  • Pentium III 450 (Katmai, SL35D, an early one but apparently a good overclocker)
  • 2.5GB of DDR2-667 (2x1GB and 1x512MB)

I was really after the PS/2 bracket, but the PIII was neat and the price was right. As I started walking away the guy asked me if I wanted some RAM, I said sure, thinking I'd get some more SDRAM or possibly random SIMMs, and he hands me a few sticks of DDR2. It's not that retro, but still useful.

Attachments

• vg3.jpg
    Filename
    vg3.jpg
    File size
    65.9 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • vg2.jpg
    Filename
    vg2.jpg
    File size
    58.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • vg1.jpg
    Filename
    vg1.jpg
    File size
    48.95 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 22834 of 52877, by Wireless

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
brostenen wrote:
Found an AT-Case locally (same region of my country) online for sale. 12 US Dollars plus shipping. (sellers pictures) The case i […]
Show full quote

Found an AT-Case locally (same region of my country) online for sale. 12 US Dollars plus shipping. (sellers pictures)
The case is complete with the caseshield/cover, though the case has one tiny bend and one tiny scratch.

AT-01.jpg
AT-02.jpg
AT-03.jpg

Happy champ....

I have an identical case, perhaps a few more scratches on the sides, but it houses my 486DX-100 and runs OSR2.5 with 32MB EDO 2.1GB HDD 8x CD-ROM, and both 3.5 inch and 5.25 inch FDDs

8086-8, 286-16, 386DX-40, 486DX4-100, K5 PR166, K6-2 550, K6-3 450, 3x XP 3200+, 64 3700+,
2x 64 X2 4400+, Phenom II X2 220, Phenom II X6 1100T, Athlon X4 845, FX-8370.
Laptops 1110, 600E, 2200, C640, 1520, D830, 3558. Sinclairs + Playstations.

Reply 22835 of 52877, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
W Gruffydd wrote:

I'm still trying to find a Canopus Spectra 2500 for a Witchdoctor setup, but I recently acquired these:

DSCN5473a.jpg

Nice! I have all three cards for a Witchdoctor setup, but no cables. Internal long SLI cable should be easy to make, but the Spectra<->Pure 3D II cable is an unknown for me. Do you have the cables too?

Reply 22836 of 52877, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Wireless wrote:

I have an identical case, perhaps a few more scratches on the sides, but it houses my 486DX-100 and runs OSR2.5 with 32MB EDO 2.1GB HDD 8x CD-ROM, and both 3.5 inch and 5.25 inch FDDs

Sweet. Thanks for input. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 22837 of 52877, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JidaiGeki wrote:
W Gruffydd wrote:

I'm still trying to find a Canopus Spectra 2500 for a Witchdoctor setup, but I recently acquired these:

DSCN5473a.jpg

Nice! I have all three cards for a Witchdoctor setup, but no cables. Internal long SLI cable should be easy to make, but the Spectra<->Pure 3D II cable is an unknown for me. Do you have the cables too?

The internal cable is easy to make with parts from Ebay. I did so for my setup.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 22838 of 52877, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
derSammler wrote:

This! 😁

You. I like you.

No, but seriously, great haul: love Mario 2 to death, although as a kid I only played the original Game Boy version (so no colour for me). And I have a soft spot for contemporary editions of 8-bit games - my personal favourite is Doomsday Lost Echoes.

EDIT: sorry for the hijack, but I allowed myself to add photo of my backlit and biverted Game Boy Classic with Mario 2 on.

Attachments

Reply 22839 of 52877, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The industrial computer I posted a pic of a while ago showed up today. It is a super custom jobbie made specifically for the motherboard in it.. an ASUS P2B-LS.

Video card is a Diamond branded Riva 128. Also has a 3Com network card and a couple other cards. Kinda looks like it was used for some sort of video capture or processing of some sort. The one PCI slot looks like something was removed from the system at some point.
CPU in it is a PII-450 and a single 128MB stick of RAM. The SCSI HDD is ~4.5GB.
The power supply is custom made and nowhere near a standard size.
I did not take another pic of the front of it since the one I posted a while ago from the seller shows it just fine.. basically just power, leds, 3.5" floppy and a SCSI port. I might be modding the case so I can use an optical and 3.5" drive. Not really any room for anything else.

I'll probably just use this as a dedicated PII or PIII Slot-1 system with the motherboard that came with it. The motherboard has a PC/PCI header so that is another plus.

top.jpg
Filename
top.jpg
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size