VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23380 of 52741, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strangely enough the system has no DVD-ROM installed, just a very beat up CD-ROM. According to those specs it should have had a 2x DVD-ROM (no wonder it did not survive). If it's an MPEG2 decoder card, then excellent. I will drop in a beige DVD-ROM into this.

Just checked online, it is probably one of the many Dell OEM Cinemaster C MPEG2 decoder card variants.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-05-09, 09:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23381 of 52741, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just bought a Creative GF2 Ti. Now I can finally complete the box I kept from my P3 period 😀 This one took me some time to find.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 23382 of 52741, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another lot today...received many nice items in the last weeks, have to take a decision what to keep and what to sell soon, taking up to much place 😐

386 Mainboard, manufacturer Intel 1987

DSC_7024.JPG
Filename
DSC_7024.JPG
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
DSC_7025.JPG
Filename
DSC_7025.JPG
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license

386 Goldstar

DSC_7026 (1).JPG
Filename
DSC_7026 (1).JPG
File size
1010.08 KiB
Views
File license

EMS card fully populated: 2M-EMS GA-229. Hope will get it running this time or find some documentation/drivers...

DSC_7027.JPG
Filename
DSC_7027.JPG
File size
750.21 KiB
Views
File license

80386 "Contaq" Chipset - never heard of it

DSC_7028.JPG
Filename
DSC_7028.JPG
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 23383 of 52741, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very corroded 286 Board...think its G2 chipset. Will be a challenge to restore...

DSC_7029.JPG
Filename
DSC_7029.JPG
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
DSC_7030.JPG
Filename
DSC_7030.JPG
File size
993.23 KiB
Views
File license

486 VLB with Cyrix 486DX2-66

DSC_7031.JPG
Filename
DSC_7031.JPG
File size
846.36 KiB
Views
File license

286 Board with onboard EGA...think its from a Laptop and rather useless...

DSC_7032.JPG
Filename
DSC_7032.JPG
File size
869.95 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 23384 of 52741, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
I managed to crack my new Dimension XPS open thanks to ouevre (never thought it would be so hard to open a PC case) and it turne […]
Show full quote

I managed to crack my new Dimension XPS open thanks to ouevre (never thought it would be so hard to open a PC case) and it turned oıt to be more interesting than I thought.

2F6B5F09-58A3-4BD8-B6F7-D305D97F396C.jpeg

It is a PII 333 unsurprisingly, with 3 sticks of 64MB RAM. It came with an 8.4GB IBM HDD and 48x ASUS CDROM which is almost certainly a replacement.

The graphics card turned out to be a Riva 128 not a Permedia 2 so it is better for gaming. However I dont know if it is an original configuration card or a later upgrade.

The sound card is a Turtle Beach Montego (Aureal Vortex 1) and the ethernet card is a 3Com with ParallellTasking II chipset

The mystery card turned out to be a daughtercard not for the Turtle Beach but for the Riva 128.Itt is connected by a feature connector to the VGA and an audio cable to the audio card. The only other connector is what seems to be a composite in or out at the back.. What could this be? A TV Out daughterboard? An Mpeg card?

Most likely an MPEG card. The Riva 128 is probably original.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 23386 of 52741, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

DSC_7028.JPG

I've been after a BIOS image for a board with that chipset for ages. If you feel like dumping it I would be extremely grateful. 😀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23387 of 52741, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

DSC_7028.JPG

I've been after a BIOS image for a board with that chipset for ages. If you feel like dumping it I would be extremely grateful. 😀

I had a 386 board with the exact same chipset: contaq 82c591, contaq 82c592, and sis 85c206. I had trouble using it with 486DLC. Too bad I sold it after I got a 386 board that takes 486DLC. I reckon the 486DX BIOS would have cured my ex-386 board.

Reply 23388 of 52741, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ mine is a hybrid 3/486 board, with jumpers for either chip. Which is why I want to get it working. 😀 Came with a 386DX/40 installed, which looks OEM.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23389 of 52741, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

The attachment DSC_7028.JPG is no longer available

No problem...let us know if it worked.

Filename
Contaq 486 BIOS.zip
File size
38.18 KiB
Downloads
53 downloads
File license

What about opening a separate Thread to upload BIOS-images? They are really hard to find and its a pity to dump a board just because of a missing/damaged BIOS...maybe I will start one..after my holidays 😎

Reply 23390 of 52741, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

What about opening a separate Thread to upload BIOS-images? They are really hard to find and its a pity to dump a board just because of a missing/damaged BIOS...maybe I will start one..after my holidays 😎

There is a BIOS page at vogonsdrivers. Maybe we can use that?

Reply 23391 of 52741, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Strangely enough the system has no DVD-ROM installed, just a very beat up CD-ROM. According to those specs it should have had a 2x DVD-ROM (no wonder it did not survive). If it's an MPEG2 decoder card, then excellent. I will drop in a beige DVD-ROM into this.

Just checked online, it is probably one of the many Dell OEM Cinemaster C MPEG2 decoder card variants.

Since the CD drive is Asus branded, I suppose it's not the original 😀

My XPS D233 desktop came with a CD drive and the same Riva 128 card, it's nice to know what that header that I've seen on lots of VGA cards is for; just an internal VGA pass-through?

Reply 23392 of 52741, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lazibayer wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

Hmm there is no XT-486 images there. And they are difficult to add as many old boards dont have a brand/label. My idea would be 1 post per board with
- photo
- CPU
- list of chips
- label (if any)
- link to i.e. stason for jumper settings

So for this one:
- photo
contaq 82c591, contaq 82c592, and sis 85c206
http://arvutimuuseum.ee/th99/m/I-L/30744.htm
..and the image file

That way it can be found if searching for an unknown board?

Reply 23393 of 52741, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
oeuvre wrote:
appiah4 wrote:
I managed to crack my new Dimension XPS open thanks to ouevre (never thought it would be so hard to open a PC case) and it turne […]
Show full quote

I managed to crack my new Dimension XPS open thanks to ouevre (never thought it would be so hard to open a PC case) and it turned oıt to be more interesting than I thought.

2F6B5F09-58A3-4BD8-B6F7-D305D97F396C.jpeg

It is a PII 333 unsurprisingly, with 3 sticks of 64MB RAM. It came with an 8.4GB IBM HDD and 48x ASUS CDROM which is almost certainly a replacement.

The graphics card turned out to be a Riva 128 not a Permedia 2 so it is better for gaming. However I dont know if it is an original configuration card or a later upgrade.

The sound card is a Turtle Beach Montego (Aureal Vortex 1) and the ethernet card is a 3Com with ParallellTasking II chipset

The mystery card turned out to be a daughtercard not for the Turtle Beach but for the Riva 128.Itt is connected by a feature connector to the VGA and an audio cable to the audio card. The only other connector is what seems to be a composite in or out at the back.. What could this be? A TV Out daughterboard? An Mpeg card?

Most likely an MPEG card. The Riva 128 is probably original.

I've got a Riva 128 with the same secondary card attached to it via that same cable. I don't recall what I pulled it out of, but it was likely a Dell of that vintage. So that would support the theory that it's original.

Reply 23394 of 52741, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Hmm there is no XT-486 images there. And they are difficult to add as many old boards dont have a brand/label. My idea would be […]
Show full quote
lazibayer wrote:

Hmm there is no XT-486 images there. And they are difficult to add as many old boards dont have a brand/label. My idea would be 1 post per board with
- photo
- CPU
- list of chips
- label (if any)

So for this one:
- photo
..and the image file

That sounds fancy! Users can also upload pictures of the board if it's no where to be found. Besides BIOS, people can also deposit other images such as GAL, PAL, video BIOS, etc.

Reply 23395 of 52741, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Hmm there is no XT-486 images there. And they are difficult to add as many old boards dont have a brand/label. My idea would be […]
Show full quote
lazibayer wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

- photo
- CPU
- list of chips
- label (if any)

So for this one:
- photo
..and the image file

This would especially be useful if you could quickly browse by schematic or photo/thumbnail to identify unlabelled 'mystery boards.' There are already a few BIOS archives around but they all have different specific focus and it doesn't seem like anyone's gone and collected them into a 'general purpose' repo yet.

Thanks for the ROM dump! My board (this one, MSI MS-3124) even has the same SiS 85C206 "southbridge" (or whatever that chip is called on a 486) so hopefully it should work. Very similar architecture.

Reply 23396 of 52741, by jimpqfly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Badass ISA controler (Tekram DC-600B) :

20180509_231822 (Moyen).jpg
Filename
20180509_231822 (Moyen).jpg
File size
430.63 KiB
Views
File license

I wonder what its performances are...

Reply 23397 of 52741, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@jimpqfly

Prepare to be disappointed.

These cards were designed to boost poor performing hard drives, specifically in situations where there are a lot of read/writes happening often. Such as, but not limited to, heavy multi tasking. Its still damn cool, but Its practicality is zero.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 23398 of 52741, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

@jimpqfly

These cards were designed to boost poor performing hard drives, specifically in situations where there are a lot of read/writes happening often. Such as, but not limited to, heavy multi tasking. Its still damn cool, but Its practicality is zero.

Yup, if you use a newer drive those cards will actually hamper performance since they will bottleneck due to the onboard CPU. As luckybob says, they were made for slow drives to become faster.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 23399 of 52741, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
luckybob wrote:

@jimpqfly

Yup, if you use a newer drive those cards will actually hamper performance since they will bottleneck due to the onboard CPU. As luckybob says, they were made for slow drives to become faster.

...yes but... doesn't this mean it would be a way cool component to pimp out a small capacity, poor performing period correct HD on an old sub-gig system? Would make a fun build/test project I think. Especially "outside the box" given that even purists are often down with SATA/IDE converters to graft modern drives for practical reasons. So why not push the limits of old storage.

On the otherhand the "click of death" has probably made this more than a trivial undertaking...