Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 23680 of 52943, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:

Finally picked up a MediaVision PAS16 which i'm really happy about.

Cool! Did it come with driver disks? If not then finding the right version can be a chore - I've had the most success with the "Studio" drivers I uploaded to VogonDrivers (can't get a link because of stupid work firewall). The card won't work right with the wron version, and there a several versions 😵

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 23681 of 52943, by XCVG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thrift-2.jpg
Filename
thrift-2.jpg
File size
170.57 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A bunch of honestly pretty random bits. A lot of maybe junk, maybe treasures.

• ATI X800 All-In-Wonder, no cables and no idea if it works. Need a power adapter to test it.
  • 10 high-density 5.25" diskettes. I just want to see if my drive works...
  • Intellimouse Explorer, very gross but might clean up
  • External optical drive, maybe DVD-RW, with USB and Firewire interface
  • Firewire cable for aforementioned drive. Need to fire up my Win2000 machine again to test it.
  • Sealed (?) SCSI controller card. Early 2000s I think, and I still have no SCSI devices

Reply 23682 of 52943, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blurks wrote:

Looks a little beat up. Was the shrink wrap the important part to you?

Correct. When it comes to 3dfx, all of my stuff is sealed (apart from those I've opened myself) - so just following the trend here 🤣

Reply 23683 of 52943, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ IMHO that's the perfect candidate for opening. Keep the box & packaging on your display shelf but put the card in something and use it. It's never going to be "mint" and I doubt you'd be de-valuing it much by removing some cheap plastic that could have been re-applied at some big box store originally anyway. Sealed hardware = sad hardware.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 23684 of 52943, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote:

You make it sound like they're laying around in thrift stores all over the world...

They do pop up every now and then. It's definitely not unobtainium like some other 3dfx gear.

rikukos wrote:

Correct. When it comes to 3dfx, all of my stuff is sealed (apart from those I've opened myself) - so just following the trend here 🤣

While I don't see the reason to worship deteriorating shrink wrap I still find it somehow exciting. Would be interesting to see a picture of your entire collection.

Reply 23685 of 52943, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
blurks wrote:

While I don't see the reason to worship deteriorating shrink wrap I still find it somehow exciting. Would be interesting to see a picture of your entire collection.

Okay, you asked for it..Had to get my sealed 3dfx boxes out of the closet anyway to organise them (again) for a newcomer. I like getting things sealed - smells new when you open them, you know 🤣

iWL02VFh.jpg

Reply 23686 of 52943, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not bad... not bad. But I think I've got ya beat! 😎 Always nice to see a fellow 3DFX super-fan!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 23688 of 52943, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Artex wrote:

Not bad... not bad. But I think I've got ya beat! 😎 Always nice to see a fellow 3DFX super-fan!

Ha-ha..thanks!! Might keep adding different box variations if I see them (sealed)..Looking for a sealed V4 4500 PCI and Rush..Rush will eventually happen, the other one I don't know. If anyone knows where to find one..*cough* 😀

blurks wrote:

Thumbs up, solid 3dfx collection you got there. You got a good deal on that V2 1000's or just a huge fan?

Yeah, just got a bunch of them at once earlier.

Reply 23689 of 52943, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never had a post fill me with such nerdrage and envy at the same time.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 23690 of 52943, by Tandgnissle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it's not not bought today but it's the latest old computer "part" I bought.
Hwlfx1Hl.jpg
MP7sMkGl.jpg
I thought I'd get myself a dos computer and since I don't really have much room these days a PC/104 could be the way to go.
It looks to be an ArbourEm104-n513/VL but I've yet to try it as I need to either buy or make adapters for it.
Geode GX1 300 MHz, 2*usb 1.1, ps/2, floppy, eide, compact flash, 10/100lan and a built in video card.
Now the biggest problem I guess would be to find a pc104 to isa riser adapter to connect a a sound card to, they seem to be extremly expensive on ebay at least.
If I can clock it down and/or turn off cache in the bios it would be quite a nice little thing once I've 3d printed a small housing for it.

Reply 23691 of 52943, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
Just won this auction...who else was bidding on it? ;-) […]
Show full quote

Just won this auction...who else was bidding on it? 😉

file.php?id=47879&t=1

...because I spotted this interesting part 😎 Unfortunately the brackets are not available any more...

file.php?id=47880&t=1

Lot arrived today. Target card is in good condition and working perfectly. Indeed one of the best cards I own so far 😀 Only need to find a suitable slot bracket from a card with less value.

IMG_2137r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2137r.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_2139r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2139r.jpg
File size
858.61 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 23692 of 52943, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I like when things are getting delivered ahead of schedule. Besides, I haven't seen her showing up before but oh boy when she finally did, she did so being a MINT and SEALED!! Presented here for your enjoyment, still factory-sealed after more than 30 years(!): AdLib Personal Computer Music System (the year 1987 model)

v7dopggh.jpg
2zsboe6h.jpg
QYoO2j2h.jpg

Reply 23693 of 52943, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Predator99 wrote:

Lot arrived today. Target card is in good condition and working perfectly. Indeed one of the best cards I own so far 😀 Only need to find a suitable slot bracket from a card with less value.

IMG_2137r.jpg
IMG_2139r.jpg

Awesome! Glad that card made it out of the scrap pile.

Make sure to update it to the newest firmware if it isn't already. The newer driver pack should have it included.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23694 of 52943, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

wow very nice!!! and it still has the original egghead price tag of $299 USD.. Probably one of the earlier models? Do you plan on ever opening it?

I used to work at Egghead when i was a kid, and i remember when these things went on clearance for $50. Our store had quite a few, i should have bought them all and sat on them! would have been better than buying stocks!

rikukos wrote:

I like when things are getting delivered ahead of schedule. Besides, I haven't seen her showing up before but oh boy when she finally did, she did so being a MINT and SEALED!! Presented here for your enjoyment, still factory-sealed after more than 30 years(!): AdLib Personal Computer Music System (the year 1987 model)

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 23695 of 52943, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When you make a statement like that, you're obliged to dig up all of yours, and arrange them in a similar pile and post a picture!

Artex wrote:

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 23696 of 52943, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DaveJustDave wrote:

wow very nice!!! and it still has the original egghead price tag of $299 USD.. Probably one of the earlier models? Do you plan on ever opening it?

oiIHRevh.jpg?1
kzeF7QYh.jpg?1

DaveJustDave wrote:

I used to work at Egghead when i was a kid, and i remember when these things went on clearance for $50. Our store had quite a few, i should have bought them all and sat on them! would have been better than buying stocks!

Ha-ha, I wish that too - no doubt the rate of return would have been a HUGE this day 😎
Usually I don't mind opening sealed stuff, even the rare ones but in this case..I honestly don't know - it is such a SUPER COOL item in my book 😀 By the way, an interesting story that one what happened to Egghead then in the end. Thanks for jumping in!

Reply 23697 of 52943, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So that big lot of motherboards and cards (mostly video) I posted about earlier arrived today.

The big scores so far are:
Biostar M7MIA motherboard (Socket 462 AMD 761 + Via 686B) based motherboard... AGP Pro, PCI, ISA WITH DDR 😲 😎 Supposedly the Barton chips work in it, but don't detect properly so the extra instructions are not useable. I wonder how hard it would be to update the microcode like the modified BIOS for the KT7A has for Barton support.
I wonder if I will have to do the socket wire mod to select the higher multipliers... hmmm.

STB Voodoo 3 3000. 2 of them. 1 AGP and 1 PCI

Hercules Prophet 4500 - looks to be in good shape, but doesn't have the original heatsink. Hope the one that is rigged to it didn't come loose while in use and fry it.

Geforce 4 Ti4800 😲 - the tan-ish card with the gold-ish heatsinks. Not sure what brand as the part numbers on it bring up nothing. The card has one cap knocked off on the back side where the GPU is. Hope this card works after I replace that cap.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 23698 of 52943, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Hercules Prophet 4500 - looks to be in good shape, but doesn't have the original heatsink. Hope the one that is rigged to it didn't come loose while in use and fry it.

If it's not the original cooler, why not reseat it with fresh TIM?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 23699 of 52943, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
debs3759 wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

If it's not the original cooler, why not reseat it with fresh TIM?

I will, but the mounting holes on the cooler that is on it don't line up with the holes on the card. Looks like they had used double sided thermal tape to affix it.

I probably have something in one of my parts bins that will match up fine though. If not, I'll modify something to fit.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK