Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24181 of 52615, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

We have a WINNER !

It's not working. Needs work. Most likely the logic board needs re-caps. ( 9-total caps I think ).
But that's half the fun is getting this stuff working again.
Anyways, I have some working logic boards too. So should NOT be a problem getting it working again.
I still need an original Apple TV keyboard and mouse.

Update: It works, Just had to put in NEW battery and reseat the boards.

Attachments

• AppleTV-003.jpg
    Filename
    AppleTV-003.jpg
    File size
    170.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • AppleTV-001.jpg
    Filename
    AppleTV-001.jpg
    File size
    148.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-07-07, 23:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 24182 of 52615, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't have any pictures right now (and since most of you know what I'll be talking about, I don't think they're required), but during today's Goodwill trip I bought another original XBOX console for softmodding. I don't want to risk ruining my current XBOX by modding it (since it has sentimental save games and songs) which is why I bought a second one for this purpose in order to play it safe.

Reply 24183 of 52615, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been watching these cards go down in price for a while, finally sprung on getting one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/392073593666

It connects a 3.5" floppy drive to SCSI. The plan is to explore its functions. It might have some undocumented features that might allow use of other floppy disks. Maybe 360k or 1.2mb 5.25 drives. I think it would be really cool if at minimum i could read these disks. Hell, if I could write that would really be the bee's knees.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24184 of 52615, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's an odd hardware, yet, can't wait to see the results from you about that device. I wonder what the transfer rate would be with that?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 24185 of 52615, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^the same speed as a regular 34-pin FDD interface, I'm sure. Floppies are inherently *really* slow.

The key here is those possible undocumented functions... as well as the probable novelty of a 100% SCSI machine.

Reply 24186 of 52615, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have several of those FDD to SCSI adapters. I only ever tested it with the 1.44MB drive, but I am pretty sure that you can interface it with other drive types as well. There is a PDF manual for it out there somewhere.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 24187 of 52615, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote:

I wonder what the transfer rate would be with that?

irrelevant. The goal is a jack of all trades machine whose whole purpose is the transfer between mediums.

I made the mistake of putting these functions in my gaming P4 rig. All it did was cause hardware conflicts.

@SW-SSG I do like my scsi.

@AC If you run across that pdf, I'd love a copy. I haven't looked hard for that info yet. Admittantly, it was an inpulse buy along with a usb/adb converter and some 512kb frash chips.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24188 of 52615, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wasn't even remotely looking for something like this - but sometimes you stumble across something you really can't let pass:

full.png

Roland MT-100 in very good condition (and demonstrated working), with original PSU, what looks like all original documentation, a modified early 1960s record player case to transport it in - and a pile of SCB-55 docs as well (obvious what the original owner had upgraded to after this one - it cost him DFL 569 according to the receipt).

Now to dig up one of those rare games that actually gives you an audible difference between the MT-32 r0 PCB and the r1 inside this MT-100 and enjoy probably the most marginal of capability upgrades I have ever bought... 😉

Reply 24189 of 52615, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Asus K8V-MX socket 754
Athlon 64 3000 Clawhammer
1gb Corsair value select ddr400

Was a free pickup, now I might just make it a 98se overkill since this chipset supports 98se

Attachments

Reply 24190 of 52615, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just got back from picking up a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT. Got it from a guy (now retired) who did a lot of travelling for work and took this with him (company-issued laptop that they let him keep I guess). Came with all the accessories!

rOFxodGm.jpg

Mostly in great shape, will need a bit of cleaning but nothing too major cosmetically wrong with it. I think these originally came with Windows 95, but this one was upgraded to Windows 98 and has some version of AVG Free installed on it that really bogs down the poor Pentium 120Mhz CPU. Also 1.2GB HD and the full 48 MB RAM.

The floppy drive doesn't seem able to read any disks. The form-factor of the floppy drive looks to be the same as a Teac FD-05HG-4684-U which I have two extras of, so I might try replacing it with one of those.

The CD-ROM drive works, but the mechanism that holds the door closed is a little wonky and needs some fiddling to get it to stay shut.

Otherwise, pretty happy overall!

EDIT: Forgot to say that the battery still works. Unsure how long it will last at a full charge though and obviously not something to be relied on at this age anyway.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 24191 of 52615, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice, you could also replace the HD with a CF to IDE adapter + 2GB CF card. Should run much nicer. Those old Toshiba laptops are fun and durable.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 24192 of 52615, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I end up putting MS-DOS / Win 3.1 on it then I'll probably go the CF card route, but if I end up keeping Windows 95 I'll leave the spinning rust HDD in there for now (don't want Windows virtual memory killing the CF card quicker). Whether I go MS-DOS/Win3.1 or not depends on how the VEXP screen scaling utility works in Windows for games like Diablo/Starcraft which run at 640x480 (the readme seems to indicate the mouse coordinates get messed up, but I want to fiddle with it for myself).

I do quite like the sounds of a real spinning rust disk drive. 😀

Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 24193 of 52615, by Mut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Gered,

Great notebook!

Open it up and remove the cmos and the resume battery ASAP. Those batteries tends to leak when get old.

They are located under the keyboard.

I had two of these notebook destroyed by leakage.

Reply 24195 of 52615, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mut wrote:

Open it up and remove the cmos and the resume battery ASAP. Those batteries tends to leak when get old.

Thanks for the tip! I will do just that when I open it all up to clean it.

Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 24196 of 52615, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gered wrote:
Just got back from picking up a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT. Got it from a guy (now retired) who did a lot of travelling for wo […]
Show full quote

Just got back from picking up a Toshiba Satellite Pro 430CDT. Got it from a guy (now retired) who did a lot of travelling for work and took this with him (company-issued laptop that they let him keep I guess). Came with all the accessories!

rOFxodGm.jpg

Mostly in great shape, will need a bit of cleaning but nothing too major cosmetically wrong with it. I think these originally came with Windows 95, but this one was upgraded to Windows 98 and has some version of AVG Free installed on it that really bogs down the poor Pentium 120Mhz CPU. Also 1.2GB HD and the full 48 MB RAM.

The floppy drive doesn't seem able to read any disks. The form-factor of the floppy drive looks to be the same as a Teac FD-05HG-4684-U which I have two extras of, so I might try replacing it with one of those.

The CD-ROM drive works, but the mechanism that holds the door closed is a little wonky and needs some fiddling to get it to stay shut.

Otherwise, pretty happy overall!

EDIT: Forgot to say that the battery still works. Unsure how long it will last at a full charge though and obviously not something to be relied on at this age anyway.

I have basically the exact same notebook - yeah, the CMOS/Resume batteries tend to leak. I removed one of mine that was already leaking, the other I left but plan to remove. Mine's a bit temperamental, the headphone output doesn't work on mine, but otherwise they're real nice early Win95/DOS machines. The C&T video is pretty compatible with DOS stuff, and the sound is ESS based and also quite DOS compatible.

Also, I wonder if those floppy drives are just real temperamental. I've got the same external and I've only got a couple floppies that mine will reliably read, and even then sometimes it takes some fiddling to get it to properly engage and read.

Reply 24197 of 52615, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gered wrote:

Congrats, that's a really nice find!

Gered wrote:

If I end up putting MS-DOS / Win 3.1 on it then I'll probably go the CF card route, but if I end up keeping Windows 95 I'll leave the spinning rust HDD in there for now (don't want Windows virtual memory killing the CF card quicker). Whether I go MS-DOS/Win3.1 or not depends on how the VEXP screen scaling utility works in Windows for games like Diablo/Starcraft which run at 640x480 (the readme seems to indicate the mouse coordinates get messed up, but I want to fiddle with it for myself).

Thanks for mentioning VEXP utility, I haven't ever heard about it before. Had I known it, I wouldn't have sold my Tecra 700CT!

Still, do let us know when you try VEXP and Diablo/Starcraft (I love these games myself, would like to revisit them again soon).

Reply 24198 of 52615, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Nothing exciting, but a thrift store visit.

The attachment IMG_1375.jpg is no longer available

Armed & Dangerous, that game is actually quite cool. Some character banter was pretty funny. I liked the shark gun - gives the expression "jumped a shark" a whole new meaning!

d6cc5b7bb8649eaa5788b6c63e4570f0.jpg
Filename
d6cc5b7bb8649eaa5788b6c63e4570f0.jpg
File size
48.01 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 24199 of 52615, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OldCat wrote:

Thanks for mentioning VEXP utility, I haven't ever heard about it before. Had I known it, I wouldn't have sold my Tecra 700CT!

Still, do let us know when you try VEXP and Diablo/Starcraft (I love these games myself, would like to revisit them again soon).

Was happy to discover that Windows games that run at 640x480 work great with VEXP 1.3 (the last release). No issues with mouse coordinates being messed up. The mouse coordinates thing was listed as a known issue in the readme under the changelog for v1.2. But I guess it was fixed in 1.3 because I played Diablo 1 for about 20 minutes (all on battery! this thing has a good amount of life left apparently!) and had no problems with the screen scaled up... well, other then the fact that I cannot "unsee" the 1.25 scaling factor. 🤣

Also I replaced the floppy drive with one of my spare Teac drives that I mentioned previously and it's working great. Fits in the enclosure nicely enough (a bit long, and the internal ribbon cable was clearly not designed to fit in the smaller space leftover, but it can be squeezed in with some effort). Cleaning out the original drive didn't fix anything unfortunately. It was already pretty clean inside so I didn't really think that would solve anything. I don't have anything on hand at the moment to use for grease/lubricant for the motor, but that seems like the next obvious thing to try.

I guess I should save some of these details for a future "System Specs" post. 😜

Toshiba 430CDT