Reply 24880 of 50506, by canthearu
Got a new retro computer to clean, repair and refurbish yesterday:
The best part:
MS-6168 motherboard (slot 1 with voodoo 3 and sound blaster 128)
Old owner wasn't sure if the motherboard still worked, but fortunately, it still did once I disassembled the computer. I washed the motherboard, dried it and replaced a capacitor that was starting to bulge. Might order some polymers and replace all of the caps, or may just let it be and see if any more caps need replacing in the future. Also updated BIOS so it wouldn't choke on larger IDE hard drives. My guess is that the dodgy electrolytic capacitor was screwing up the motherboard on cold boots, making the first boots from storage for the old owner unsuccessful
I'll have to replace the noisy fan on the voodoo 3 eventually.
In the pack, I also got the following parts:
* 650mhz Pentium III Slot 1 CPU
* 256meg SD RAM + 2 x 128meg SDRAm
* Extra 550mhz Pentium III CPU on a slocket.
* USB floppy drive (useful for transferring data to old XT computer)
* Combo memory card reader/floppy disk drive.
* Quantum Fireball 8gb drive
* Couple of DVD IDE drives
So not a bad haul.