Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25220 of 52778, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:

I bought this yesterday and It arrived today. I'm thrilled with it to say the least. Really feels like a piece of nostalgia!

Sound Blaster 2.0 CT1350B in OEM Packaging. I can't say I have seen this packaging before for this card, always seeing the Black Box packaging with a picture of the card on the front. It includes both the 3.5" and 5 1⁄4" Installation discs along with a Hardware/Software feature catalogue. It even has the receipt dated 28/07/92 for £45. The Card is the CT1350B with the CT1366 chip so i presume is good for the CMS upgrade (which is mentioned in the hardware catalogue.)

Overall really really happy!

Nice find! Never seen a box like this before. Didn't know there was such a thing as OEM models back in '92...

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 25221 of 52778, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not as exciting as the other stuff on above me, but necessary none the less. 10 blank IO shields for under 1€ a piece. Will come in handy when my Biostar MB-8433 will get in his new ATX sized home.

Attachments

• 20180918_220427.jpg
    Filename
    20180918_220427.jpg
    File size
    638.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 25223 of 52778, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eleanor1967 wrote:

Not as exciting as the other stuff on above me, but necessary none the less. 10 blank IO shields for under 1€ a piece. Will come in handy when my Biostar MB-8433 will get in his new ATX sized home.

Wow, I need to find one of these.

The round holes for PS/2 & audio could just be drilled, but the rectangular would need multiple drill and file/Dremel - I don't think I'd bother boxing out each one of a stack individually

Reply 25225 of 52778, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally purchased the one piece of hardware I thought I would never own. 😀

DSC_0711.JPG
Filename
DSC_0711.JPG
File size
146.49 KiB
Views
File license

I knew I wanted one of these since I was a teenager, playing Space Quest IV at a small electronics store my dad frequented that also happened to sell PCs. That one so happened to be using this amazing new processor, the Pentium. 😀

Ah, memories! Life was so much simpler then.

Reply 25226 of 52778, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thallanor wrote:
I finally purchased the one piece of hardware I thought I would never own. :) […]
Show full quote

I finally purchased the one piece of hardware I thought I would never own. 😀

DSC_0711.JPG

I knew I wanted one of these since I was a teenager, playing Space Quest IV at a small electronics store my dad frequented that also happened to sell PCs. That one so happened to be using this amazing new processor, the Pentium. 😀

Ah, memories! Life was so much simpler then.

Congrats on the purchase, man. Enjoy that amazing sound. My dad bought one in '87 and it still works (was used on my mom's Yamaha CLP-500 piano which now has the Yamaha TG-100 connected).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25227 of 52778, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Congrats on the purchase, man. Enjoy that amazing sound. My dad bought one in '87 and it still works (was used on my mom's Yamaha CLP-500 piano which now has the Yamaha TG-100 connected).

Thanks! I do not have many sound cards yet. I have a Soundblaster 16 with its faults, but it'll give me somewhere to start. I do have a Gravis Ultrasound but I seem to recall it has some issues with MIDI output too. I have time to research though. My cable won't be here for a few days yet. I've been considering something as simple as an AWE32 and a dedicated MPU-401. Plenty of options though. 😀

The other thing that I need to look into is this is the old MT-32 without the headphone jack, so I _think_ I can, with converters, go from the L and R output of the Roland, into a stereo lineout jack, into the linein on the SB16. I think. 😀 I've never really fiddled with linein, passthrough, etc. through DOS before on these cards, so it's going to be a learning experience. It's that, or I just get a cheap mixer. Either way! 😀

Reply 25228 of 52778, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thallanor wrote:

The other thing that I need to look into is this is the old MT-32 without the headphone jack, so I _think_ I can, with converters, go from the L and R output of the Roland, into a stereo lineout jack, into the linein on the SB16. I think. 😀 I've never really fiddled with linein, passthrough, etc. through DOS before on these cards, so it's going to be a learning experience. It's that, or I just get a cheap mixer. Either way! 😀

Er, no. Don't connect the MT-32 outputs to a lineout jack, you'll blow the MT-32, the thing with the lineout jack, or both. Outputs go to inputs, not outputs to outputs or inputs to inputs.

I assume the MT-32 has two RCA outputs? Then get a Y-cable with on one side two RCA plugs and on the other side a 3.5 mm mini stereo plug (or a 6.3 mm stereo plug + a 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter). Stick that stereo plug into your SB16's line in.

If you want to connect the output of two devices to the input of your SB16, you'll need a mixer, of which the output goes to your SB16 line in while 2-4* of the mixer inputs are taken by cables going from the outputs of your devices.

* depending on whether the mixer inputs are mono or stereo.

Reply 25229 of 52778, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unknown_K wrote:

What are you going to use to make holes in those blanks?

Since I only need two round holes a drill shold do it. I got 10 attempts so I should be fine.

Matth79 wrote:

The round holes for PS/2 & audio could just be drilled, but the rectangular would need multiple drill and file/Dremel - I don't think I'd bother boxing out each one of a stack individually

This is what I bought:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/2PCS-I-O-Shield-No-An … 872.m2749.l2648

Reply 25230 of 52778, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eleanor1967 wrote:
Since I only need two round holes a drill shold do it. I got 10 attempts so I should be fine. […]
Show full quote
Unknown_K wrote:

Since I only need two round holes a drill shold do it. I got 10 attempts so I should be fine.

Matth79 wrote:

This is what I bought:

Nice, those will be great for creating a AT-form factor I/O shield!

1982 to 2001

Reply 25231 of 52778, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
yawetaG wrote:
Er, no. Don't connect the MT-32 outputs to a lineout jack, you'll blow the MT-32, the thing with the lineout jack, or both. Outp […]
Show full quote

Er, no. Don't connect the MT-32 outputs to a lineout jack, you'll blow the MT-32, the thing with the lineout jack, or both. Outputs go to inputs, not outputs to outputs or inputs to inputs.

I assume the MT-32 has two RCA outputs? Then get a Y-cable with on one side two RCA plugs and on the other side a 3.5 mm mini stereo plug (or a 6.3 mm stereo plug + a 6.3 mm to 3.5 mm adapter). Stick that stereo plug into your SB16's line in.

If you want to connect the output of two devices to the input of your SB16, you'll need a mixer, of which the output goes to your SB16 line in while 2-4* of the mixer inputs are taken by cables going from the outputs of your devices.

* depending on whether the mixer inputs are mono or stereo.

Oops! I meant into the line-in jack on the SB16. My bad. It was late. 😀

The MT-32 has L and R phono outputs. I think?

DSC_0714.JPG
Filename
DSC_0714.JPG
File size
145.49 KiB
Views
File license

Yeah, your suggestion is similar to what I meant. 😀 (Except I'd be using phono connectors and an adapter to get to a standard stereo plug. 😀

It would be just the MT-32 going into the SB16, so I should be good there. I'll need to download the software package (I seem to recall Creative Labs has all of their old DOS stuff still on their downloads page) and check, but I presume there is a DOS-based mixer utility that lets me adjust the levels coming in on line-in? And then combine them with whatever the SB16 itself is playing?

Thanks for the response - and sorry about my typo! 😁

Reply 25232 of 52778, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ASUS_V9900_FX5800_Ultra.jpg 3_Com_Etherlink_10-100_Mbit_NIC_B.jpg

I'm considering selling the FX5800 Ultra off on Amibay, what kind of a pricetag should I ask? It's in full working condition.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25233 of 52778, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The DOS utility will allow you to adjust the volume for everything: Master volume, line in, mic, PC Speaker, CD-ROM, Aux, FM, MIDI (Daughterboard, if equipped), and other stuff.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25234 of 52778, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I'm considering selling the FX5800 Ultra off on Amibay, what kind of a pricetag should I ask? It's in full working condition.

Well, the last three US-based cards on eBay sold for more than 1000 USD each...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BFG-Geforce-FX-5800- … E8AAOSwfntbmWIC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BFG-Geforce-FX-5800- … JwAAOSwuxhbi-xa
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RARE-NVIDIA- … 5.m43663.l10137

Subtract the usual eBay madness portion of these prices and make your own mind about it. I've seen one being sold in the UK recently for way less. But I can't find the auction so no confirmation right now. I would let her go for around 300 USD but that's just me.

Reply 25235 of 52778, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

The DOS utility will allow you to adjust the volume for everything: Master volume, line in, mic, PC Speaker, CD-ROM, Aux, FM, MIDI (Daughterboard, if equipped), and other stuff.

Excellent! Thank you. And when it has something line-in, it then mixes that in? (Sorry if that is a really dumb question. I guess I just always saw mic-in, line-in, etc. for recording, never really thought of line-in being used to blend in whatever is coming in with the device's own output.)

This sounds really promising though. 😀

Reply 25236 of 52778, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Eleanor1967 wrote:
Since I only need two round holes a drill shold do it. I got 10 attempts so I should be fine. […]
Show full quote
Unknown_K wrote:

This is what I bought:

If you are going to use a drill, then make sure to sandwich the backplate between two pieces of wood (inside of the ridge that snaps into the case) If you don't, the drill bit will catch and rip that metal every single time because it it so thin.

Ask me how I know.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25237 of 52778, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Ask me how I know.

iknow.gif
Filename
iknow.gif
File size
458.05 KiB
Views
File license
drill.gif
Filename
drill.gif
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
boom.gif
Filename
boom.gif
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 25238 of 52778, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote:
[…]
Show full quote
cyclone3d wrote:

Ask me how I know.

iknow.gif
drill.gif
boom.gif

This gif rebus gets my approval. 😀

Also, if one wants to drill through sheet metal, a step-drill would be a good choice:
r21014v31.png
it gradually widens the hole until desired diameter is reached.

Reply 25239 of 52778, by McBierle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally i had time to look closer at some cards i got from a colleague. As far as he remembers only one of those cards was ever used.

5 VLB Controller Cards and that lone ISA one is not alone. He got me 6 more but i diddnt took any pictures oder tried to identify them yet:

!Controller1.jpg
Filename
!Controller1.jpg
File size
344.49 KiB
Views
File license

Next are some Videocards 5x ISA, 2x VLB, 2x PCI, 1x AGP (which was the one used card):

!Graka.jpg
Filename
!Graka.jpg
File size
370.06 KiB
Views
File license

Now something curious(odd:
1. Speaker for youzr common 5.25" Slot
2. DIY-Cards? Any ideas what i could solder on them? 😀
3. Some risercard

!Gedöns.jpg
Filename
!Gedöns.jpg
File size
284.95 KiB
Views
File license

Now the most strange thing. Mixture of a videocard and controllercard:

!Thing.jpg
Filename
!Thing.jpg
File size
210.6 KiB
Views
File license

Some closeups. "Made in W. Germany", last weeks of 1990. I couldn't find any Information on this Card. It seems this "CTT" in Munich still exists, maybe i'll try to contzact them...

!Thing_Closeups.jpg
Filename
!Thing_Closeups.jpg
File size
477.5 KiB
Views
File license

Greeting
McBierle