Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25300 of 52357, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote:
>> >> Beware, there are variations. This below is a layout I found on VX and 486 boards. Connecting the wrong wires may or will […]
Show full quote
PcBytes wrote:

As for the mouse header - it has 5 pins,if that helps. I guess the 2nd pin going from left (my board does have it in place) is NC? It is actually in the same orientation as your picture and it goes up to the 5th pin.

>>
>>
Beware, there are variations. This below is a layout I found on VX and 486 boards. Connecting the wrong wires may or will produce smoke.

ps2small.jpg

I'll check. Visual inspection wise I noticed pin 1 goes to something that looks like either a ceramic cap or a ferrite bead.

Probably the best way is using a DMM and check pin 1 and then pin 5.

Speed wise, cache limit impact isn't that hard, as long as you have all drivers installed. I tested this with a 3.2GB Maxtor installing Windows 98 from HDD. It was pretty slow and I might attribute that mainly because it ran in the uncahched limit.

Gotta live with it though as the only 64MB stick I have is PC133, lmao.

I have also figured the fan pin headers. It's a kind of reversed 3pin header - normal fan are wired blk/red/yellow - this was not the case here. This board has it wired this way - red/blk/yellow. Took me a while to find out.

Another thing I was surprised to find is an ATX header, and right next to it, a DIP slot (much smaller than a BIOS chip) that is unused.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 25301 of 52357, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to keropi I've got this nice thing here in the mail:

650ED1CD-F076-47E3-AB0E-9D0E47573779.jpeg
Filename
File size
575.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

You can expect a video reviewing it in the next week or so. Looking forward to hooking up my SC55 to it!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 25302 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ excellent , you are actually the first person this batch that confirms receipt 🤣
but as long as I don't get "hey this does not work" complaints I guess all is OK 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25303 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

any idea what soundcard is this? combo scsi2 controller + sound?

fI8lAIVl.jpg

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25304 of 52357, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OOO! Scsi and sound on the same card? with an option for FDD also? Color me intrigued, I had no idea such a Frankenstein's monster even existed. it looks like an unholy cross between an Adaptec AHA_1542C and AD1848!

I knew sound blaster has a scsi/sound love child, but this one looks BOOTABLE, and has (potentially) FDD support.

Please excuse me while I start up some ebay saved searches for this!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 25305 of 52357, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The manual is still available online, it is an Adaptec AMM-1570. the 1572 has the FDD option.

If possible, I'd dump both roms and host on vogons drivers. Mostly the large sound-rom on the far left. For those that don't know, if you are dealing with ISA and SCSI in the same machine, the 1542C is THE card to get for such a combination.

Reply 25306 of 52357, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought this pile of junk for 20€ shipped...:

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
793.68 KiB
Views
File license

Hope its not only junk but a memory card below it, which I can use to proove my concept here
ISA XMS/EMS Memory Extension / Expansion cards: Now Running without Driver / Documentation :-)

If yes, it was agood deal.

Reply 25307 of 52357, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
An IPC MediaMagic Telemetry-32 soundcard/modem. […]
Show full quote

An IPC MediaMagic Telemetry-32 soundcard/modem.

Supposed to have onboard wavetable as well. And looking at it, I bet those two large ROM chips confirms it. Just have to wait for it to get here and find drivers.

Original price was $399 I think. from what I could find. Maybe $299.

card.jpg
roms_model_number.jpg

Edit: Found the drivers.

Here are a few links that mention this card:
https://books.google.com/books?id=eMKimy4DFaE … etry-32&f=false - This one actually shows a breakdown of what it supports.

https://books.google.com/books?id=PITtFPwTaWw … etry-32&f=false

https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue1 … ultimedia_p.php

https://books.google.com/books?id=hzgEAAAAMBA … ry%2032&f=false

I guess these ROMs belong to the modem part...let us know 😉

Reply 25308 of 52357, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
root42 wrote:

Thanks to keropi I've got this nice thing here in the mail:

You can expect a video reviewing it in the next week or so. Looking forward to hooking up my SC55 to it!

since i' m too stupid to find this myself - what does the zilog do on the board? iirc a cpu of comparable power could not pull off midi in most cases;
and what is that intelligent midi thing? does it magically fix all intelligent mode troubles?

Reply 25309 of 52357, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The whole board is just a specialized Micro controller. The Z80 processor was INCREDIBLY cheap and easy to use. It is right up there with the 6502 and 8051. Rather than make a custom micro chip, you could slap a z80 on a board with a bit of ram/rom and have it do all the work.

It is just a small cpu whose whole purpose in life is to watch the isa bus, take any data given to it, and translate that to midi signals. This was a VERY common thing to do. Quite a few early scsi cards did the same thing. including some top-shelf serial/parallel cards. Even some very early Ethernet cards have them. But that was short lived.

Reply 25310 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

in this case this is a Z8 MCU , not a full Z80 cpu. It does stuff that it needs to do very quick and it's clocked at 12mhz.
The card is compatible 100% with the Roland "intelligent mode" functions, the firmware is just a port to the Z8 mcu from Roland's Hitachi (iirc) MCU so you don't need any drivers or other software to run the software that requires it

Reply 25311 of 52357, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today's prize is the Intel TC430HX motherboard with all the optional extras integrated:

tc430hx.jpg
Filename
tc430hx.jpg
File size
442.3 KiB
Views
File license
  • Intel 430HX chipset for Socket 7 processors
  • Powerful S3 Virge DX integrated PCI graphics with 2MB of EDO memory
  • Supports the latest Intel Pentium 233MHz MMX processor
  • 512KB of L2 Cache integrated
  • SRS 3D Yamaha OPL3-SA audio with OPL4 WaveTable
  • The latest ATX format motherboard design with Universal Serial Bus ports

Installing Windows 98SE on this has been great - everything just works out of the box, all the drivers are already there and there's OPL3 or OPL4 options selectable for MIDI playback. The seller was selling it as broken, which it is if you plug the jumpers in like the picture, but it works when they're installed where the manual says they go 😁

I guess this would be good to pair with the Voodoo 1, but it's working pretty well with nothing plugged in as well (except when the processor gets busy the screen gets wavey because that's what happens when you put the IGP that far away from the port and run it past the cache chips)

Reply 25312 of 52357, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote:
Today's prize is the Intel TC430HX motherboard with all the optional extras integrated: […]
Show full quote

Today's prize is the Intel TC430HX motherboard with all the optional extras integrated:

tc430hx.jpg
  • Intel 430HX chipset for Socket 7 processors
  • Powerful S3 Virge DX integrated PCI graphics with 2MB of EDO memory
  • Supports the latest Intel Pentium 233MHz MMX processor
  • 512KB of L2 Cache integrated
  • SRS 3D Yamaha OPL3-SA audio with OPL4 WaveTable
  • The latest ATX format motherboard design with Universal Serial Bus ports

Installing Windows 98SE on this has been great - everything just works out of the box, all the drivers are already there and there's OPL3 or OPL4 options selectable for MIDI playback. The seller was selling it as broken, which it is if you plug the jumpers in like the picture, but it works when they're installed where the manual says they go 😁

I guess this would be good to pair with the Voodoo 1, but it's working pretty well with nothing plugged in as well (except when the processor gets busy the screen gets wavey because that's what happens when you put the IGP that far away from the port and run it past the cache chips)

Man that's a beauty of a board! Something about ATX socket 7 boards. Onboard OPL 3 & 4 and 3 isa slots!! That would be perfect for a mega sound card build!

Reply 25313 of 52357, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow that must have been an elite board or something back then, black ss7 mobo? 😮

Reply 25314 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With all the talk of Cyrix 5x86 CPUs lately, imagine my surprise when somebody stuck up this lot with a 5x86 120.

Also has an Intel 486 DX4 100 which I don't have yet as well as a TI 486DLC-33 and a Cyrix FasMath 40Mhz.

top.jpg
Filename
top.jpg
File size
187.83 KiB
Views
File license
bottom.jpg
Filename
bottom.jpg
File size
221.52 KiB
Views
File license

Initial asking price was too much so I put in an offer and it was accepted.. woohoo!

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25315 of 52357, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

According to the BIOS string, it's a "1.00.xx.DH05 MBD001078 Millennia® LXA/ClientPro® MTA (Tucson P5/TC430HX)", which appears to be one of these:
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6TsEAAAAM … ge%20dx&f=false

So not particularly high end, but lucky that it has "integrated wavetable". Sadly, as I'm running it, it's getting less happy and more crashy, so I guess there are some issues to look into after all 😀

Reply 25316 of 52357, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

wow that must have been an elite board or something back then, black ss7 mobo? 😮

Maximum FSB will officially be 66MHz, and PCB colour meant nothing about the "eliteness" of an MB back then. As it's an Intel motherboard, it's likely closer to dark green anyway.

Reply 25317 of 52357, by SEGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found two sound cards on my list this past week: (sellers' photos)

Interwave based sound card:

s-l16002.jpg
Filename
s-l16002.jpg
File size
190.52 KiB
Views
File license

And an Awe64 Gold hiding in this lot:

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
551.9 KiB
Views
File license

NintendoAge | VCFed

Reply 25319 of 52357, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not from yesterday but the weekend 😀

rPrHVyvl.jpg
Tqc47Nhl.jpg
TeDmcIdl.jpg

Got these 3 for 70€ which is pretty good imho.
The Olivetti has had some TLC scrub but due to keyboard error, I can't get it to post further. I think the HD is toast, it squeaks like an old wheel.
I have enough keyboards but this Olivetti doesn't seem to have a classic keyboard connector so any help is appreciated.
The seller also gave me the MS mouse that came with it but it has an parallel or serial adapter attached so I'm guessing the keyboard also needs something like that?
I need to find more info on the screen too. Not sure if it's VGA.

The Tandy should work according to a picture he sent me before but that is on the menu today. First one I've ever had....
Should I ask MS for the cellphone :p?

This also came in:

9C8T9F8l.jpg
Sw6zFVwl.jpg

Not in the picture: an XT psu that has some damage to the switch so I need to look into that.

Traded this + Voodoo3 2000 for my boxed AWE64 Gold

http://www.pixelatedarcade.com/pictures/192

My retro collection: too much...