VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25820 of 52943, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to wrap my head around 100Mbit over ISA. I'm guessing there's a lot of caching and that's a "theoretical maximum burst speed", but still. IIRC the bus itself has a "you'll never, ever, see this in practice" theoretical max around 8MB/s (=64Mb/s) and that gets shared between everything on it, and there's overhead...

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25821 of 52943, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, you are right. I am not sure, but I have in my mind that there are also 100mbit ISA ethernet cards around?

The 100 mbit TCNS seems indeed to be some kind of Arcnet. Not able to test it without further investment as you cannot use the standard ethernet coax cable but need a special RG-62 one.

Reply 25822 of 52943, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Also got a GoldenOrb rip-off, not from Thermaltake, but the design looks identical. That thing is going on some or other P3.

I have one of those and it's really loud. I don't like it. It's too loud. I am going to remove it and go with a standard heatsink.
I need a silent PC. My PSU is silent. Just the Thermaltake Golden orb is too loud. Maybe if you can get some sort of fan speed controller to slow down the fan because it spins at FULL speed.

I have a few Zalman controllers knocking around, maybe I'll use one of them. Anyway, this thing is for the looks, not the sound. Anything I really want to use regularly gets a BIG passive heatsink with an even bigger slow fan blowing onto it. That reminds me, I need to look out for some more Zalman CNPS6000 heatsinks 😉

xjas wrote:

That Parhelia is a beauty. Nice score!

Tnx. It took me long enough to get (VERY drawn-out negotiations with seller, not even about price), but it was worth it. Quick test shows it's working, at least up to desktop level. The aftermarket fan is just as loud/dying as the original though, so that need replacing. I wasn't planning to do any retro builds past the P3 level, but I've decided I need something with more 'oomph' to do things like hard disk bad sector checks. So I'm going to take a bigtower case, add removable trays for IDE, SCSI and SATA (if they exist, never seen one), also stick in ZIP & Orb drives and connect all of that to a motherboard with support for AGP but also multi-core CPUs. That will probably end up being one of those Asrock Frankenstein-boards. That board will need a GPU- which is where this Parhelia comes in 😉

SW-SSG wrote:
xjas wrote:

... Always wondered why Matrox used those LONG VGA connectors. Was it extra shielding, did they hide ICs under there, or did they just want to move the pins farther back on the board? Anyone know?

Looking at photos of a G450, some models traded a VGA output for a DVI, and the DVI port's holes are positioned closer to the slot cover than those of the VGA's. The other VGA port seemingly could also be replaced but I'm not sure with what (S-Video jack, maybe?).

Not TV-out, the Matrox boards did that by (ab)using pins in regular VGA or DVI connectors. I think it was just a second DVI port, there definitely was a dual-DVI version of the G450.

Reply 25823 of 52943, by Rasna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

TdXVp62.png
qyGjnMg.png
0hAVRby.png
Fk2EMoU.png
KgUoJ7n.png
2prkQCg.png
aTUqqEj.png

My MIDI modules: Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32L, SC-55, SC-55mk2, SC-88, SC-88 Pro, JV-1010, XV-2020, XV-5080 | Yamaha MU-90, MU-100, SW1000XG, MU-2000EX | Akai SG01k | Kawai GMega | Korg NX5R, N1R, Triton Rack

Reply 25824 of 52943, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's some awesome stuff; where did you get all that? 😊

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 25825 of 52943, by Rasna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All from ebay..... 😀

My MIDI modules: Roland MT-32 (old), CM-32L, SC-55, SC-55mk2, SC-88, SC-88 Pro, JV-1010, XV-2020, XV-5080 | Yamaha MU-90, MU-100, SW1000XG, MU-2000EX | Akai SG01k | Kawai GMega | Korg NX5R, N1R, Triton Rack

Reply 25826 of 52943, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rasna wrote:

All from ebay..... 😀

Very nice. 😀

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM

Reply 25827 of 52943, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote:

I'm trying to wrap my head around 100Mbit over ISA. I'm guessing there's a lot of caching and that's a "theoretical maximum burst speed", but still. IIRC the bus itself has a "you'll never, ever, see this in practice" theoretical max around 8MB/s (=64Mb/s) and that gets shared between everything on it, and there's overhead...

Speaking of which, this was in that PPro haul:

ISANIC.JPG
Filename
ISANIC.JPG
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
VLBNICBOX.JPG
Filename
VLBNICBOX.JPG
File size
613.27 KiB
Views
File license
VLBNIC.JPG
Filename
VLBNIC.JPG
File size
657.3 KiB
Views
File license
VLBNICSIDE.JPG
Filename
VLBNICSIDE.JPG
File size
676.5 KiB
Views
File license

Driver disk images for the Mitron VLB NIC:

Filename
MiTRON_LX-2100_Network_Drivers_Disk_Images.zip
File size
3.08 MiB
Downloads
57 downloads
File license

Reply 25828 of 52943, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Yes, you are right. I am not sure, but I have in my mind that there are also 100mbit ISA ethernet cards around?

The 100 mbit TCNS seems indeed to be some kind of Arcnet. Not able to test it without further investment as you cannot use the standard ethernet coax cable but need a special RG-62 one.

Well, if the following from the stason page is not a typo...:

Note: Enhanced mode optimizes performance and minimizes conflicts of your hardware by using a Thomas-Conrad ARCNET drive. It is also not necessary to set the I/O address. In compatible mode the adapter can use most existing ARCNET drivers.

...it might be able to reach that speed by using some sort of buffering drive.

Reply 25829 of 52943, by Thallanor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Those 3Coms are a beast. I have a small stash of those from back in the day. Due to their size, they're one of the view things I was able to keep my hands on and put into storage.

Reply 25830 of 52943, by ogloki

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

girX061.jpg
Got a Diamond Stealth II S220 with the Rendition Verite 2100 chip and bios update.

1983 C64, C2N Datasette, 1541 Drive
1998 AMD K6-2 450MHz 3dfx Voodoo
2000 Intel Coppermine Celeron 800MHz Intel i740
2007 Intel Q6600 2.4GHz 2GB RAM
2014 Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz 6 GB RAM AMD 6670 1GB
2017 Intel i5-7400 3GHz 8GB RAM GeForce 1080 3GB

Reply 25831 of 52943, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found one of those roland general midi modules locally for 40 euros. I played some doom and seems to work fine. For long time now I have been hoping to find something like this.

gm.jpg
Filename
gm.jpg
File size
1.8 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 25832 of 52943, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:
Speaking of which, this was in that PPro haul: […]
Show full quote
xjas wrote:

ISANIC.JPG
VLBNICBOX.JPG
VLBNIC.JPG
VLBNICSIDE.JPG

Driver disk images for the Mitron VLB NIC:

MiTRON_LX-2100_Network_Drivers_Disk_Images.zip

These are very nice cards! Also never noticed a VLB-NIC.

yawetaG wrote:
Well, if the following from the stason page is not a typo...: […]
Show full quote
Predator99 wrote:

Well, if the following from the stason page is not a typo...:

Note: Enhanced mode optimizes performance and minimizes conflicts of your hardware by using a Thomas-Conrad ARCNET drive. It is also not necessary to set the I/O address. In compatible mode the adapter can use most existing ARCNET drivers.

...it might be able to reach that speed by using some sort of buffering drive.

Thats a clear typo, must be "driver". A "drive" must also be connected to the speed-limiting ISA-bus in some way, so this wouldnt make sense.

Reply 25833 of 52943, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

Just noticed that I already had some of these cards in my collection - now I have 5 in total 😎
Drivers and tools are still available
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/IPG/tcc/drivers/TCNS/
Diag tool detecs my card and seems to be running. Think I will do some tests with a standard coax cable, dont think i can damage something...

Reply 25834 of 52943, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone here posted about a Trackball Explorer a while back in this thread - well, look what I found today for $5! There's a Corsair mech. keyboard there too, but y'know... POINTER DEVICES! Currently using it on my main desktop rig, it really is a nice device. Don't know if I'd pay $80 for one, but it's still pretty sweet.

DqdcBvvXgAE0qPF.jpg

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U

Reply 25835 of 52943, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpeedySPCFan wrote:

Someone here posted about a Trackball Explorer a while back in this thread - well, look what I found today for $5! There's a Corsair mech. keyboard there too, but y'know... POINTER DEVICES! Currently using it on my main desktop rig, it really is a nice device. Don't know if I'd pay $80 for one, but it's still pretty sweet.

That's quiet a lucky find. I absolutely love that mouse as well! I love trackballs; I still can't understand why they've got near extinct these days. 😊

Reply 25836 of 52943, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They make modern ones, but, wireless only and expensive at best.

@SpeedySPCFan you got yourself a new subscriber.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25837 of 52943, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

There are some that are not expensive.. They used to be but the price has come down quite a lot in the last few years.

Logitech Trackman Marble - wired - $21.99
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/631060 … man_Marble.html

Logitech M570 wireless - $24.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-m570-wi … -blue/1260761.p

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25838 of 52943, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
There are some that are not expensive.. They used to be but the price has come down quite a lot in the last few years. […]
Show full quote
bjwil1991 wrote:

There are some that are not expensive.. They used to be but the price has come down quite a lot in the last few years.

Logitech Trackman Marble - wired - $21.99
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/631060 … man_Marble.html

Logitech M570 wireless - $24.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitech-m570-wi … -blue/1260761.p

As a trackball lover I absolutely hated the feel of the M570.

Reply 25839 of 52943, by SpeedySPCFan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote:

Thank you!

Strahssis wrote:

That's quiet a lucky find. I absolutely love that mouse as well! I love trackballs; I still can't understand why they've got near extinct these days. 😊

I kinda doubted it was that good when I saw people talking about it before, but after about an hour of using it I don't think I wanna go back to a regular mouse. 🤣

Musician & music gear/game reviewer.

MIDI hardware: JD-990, SC-55, SC-880, SD-90, VL70-m, Motif ES, Trinity, TS-10, Proteus 2000, XK-6, E6400U