VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26060 of 52340, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got theese two monsters today… Both seems to be quite rare.
The fastest Cyrix MII (the last "original" cyrix) 433GP
The fastest of "them all" (fastest CPU ever made for SS7 platform) AMD K6-III+ 550

Attachments

• Fastest_Cyrix_K6III.jpg
    Filename
    Fastest_Cyrix_K6III.jpg
    File size
    159.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 26061 of 52340, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Batyra wrote:

The fastest of "them all" (fastest CPU ever made for SS7 platform) AMD K6-III+ 550

OOOHHHH! Very nice! I've got a couple of the bog standard K6-III+ 450 CPUs. I've never even seen a 550 for sale but I also don't go looking that often either.

However, with an ASUS P5A or P5A-B motherboard (pre-bug version), you should be able to very easily overclock to 660Mhz or 720Mhz as the 120fsb actually works on those boards.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26064 of 52340, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

easily overclock to 660Mhz or 720Mhz

Never.

"Never" is a big word. I was able to reach 633MHz with my K6-3+, which was nowhere near a record breaker. I'd agree that 720MHz is unlikely, but 660MHz is worth a shot.

Reply 26065 of 52340, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

600? Sure, easy. Everything higher is not easy at all due to various limitations (including some nasty CPU FSB wall) and might even require considerable voltage increase. Therefore my statements remains the same - never.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 26066 of 52340, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering how expensive K6-III CPUs are I really hope you don’t OC it.

Last edited by appiah4 on 2018-11-13, 22:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 26067 of 52340, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

Considering how expensive K6-III Claus are Işık şöyle hile yolu font OC it.

You okay there dude? Everything allright? 😜

(Turkish autocorrect?)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 26068 of 52340, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Batyra wrote:

Very nice. Although by MHz this is one faster:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K6-2/AMD-Mobile … -2+-570ACZ.html

Not sure what is the difference in the real world apps or benchmarks - probably K6-3+ still wins by a 1-2% 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 26069 of 52340, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Never.

I wouldn't be so sure. I had a K6-2 550 running at 660Mhz on an ASUS P5A back when they we still being sold.

The K6-II+ and K6-III+ CPUs run lower voltage and cooler.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26070 of 52340, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xjas wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

That got a chuckle out of me. Maybe he's having a stroke? Hey, buddy, how many fingers am I holding?

Reply 26071 of 52340, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Never.

I wouldn't be so sure. I had a K6-2 550 running at 660Mhz on an ASUS P5A back when they we still being sold.

The K6-II+ and K6-III+ CPUs run lower voltage and cooler.

660mhz can be done with the best cpu's and the best boards but it is by no means ''easy''. I've heard of only one so far that made the 720mhz and it was without working cache and not that stable perhaps?
And probably with extreme cooling as well.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 26072 of 52340, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

600? Sure, easy. Everything higher is not easy at all due to various limitations (including some nasty CPU FSB wall) and might even require considerable voltage increase. Therefore my statements remains the same - never.

Not convinced about that CPU FSB wall. Mine is definitely not FSB-limited, it runs perfectly happily at 5x120MHz, but refuses to go over 5.5x115MHz or 6x105MHz. It just hit its core (or cache - didn't try with that disabled) wall around 635MHz. And yes, those last two require a massive 2.5V, so no, I'm not going to run my CPU there for any period of time, but this wasn't about long-term usage, just seeing how fast things can go. Given I've read enough people over 660MHz and at least one documented run at 720MHz, I'd still say it's definitely possible, if not likely.

Reply 26073 of 52340, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xjas wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

(Turkish autocorrect?)

Serves me right for posting messages on a new android device with an unfamiliar keyboard app.. on the toilet.. in a rush.. *facepalm*

Reply 26074 of 52340, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was the only bidder today on this.. $25. ATI Graphics Ultra ISA. (uses Mach8 Win 3.1 drivers I believe) I also recently acquired an ATI Mach64 2MB ISA, so maybe I'll start collecting these ISA bus ATI cards now. haha

6jFlNvql.jpg

IMCa7JMl.jpg

u9rmnAol.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 26075 of 52340, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I really dont understand the hype around it. It is slow (compared to the same age), and chipsets are buggy.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 26076 of 52340, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
arncht wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

I really dont understand the hype around it. It is slow (compared to the same age), and chipsets are buggy.

I don't understand why people think the K6-III+ CPUs are expensive. Pretty sure I got my last one for less than $20 shipped.

That being said.. the "hype" is because it was what people who couldn't afford the higher end Intel stuff at the time.

And it was plenty fast for all the games back then.

I never actually had a Slot-1 or Socket 370 system until much much later. I went straight from SS7 to Slot-A.

AMD was the bomb diggidy back then.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26077 of 52340, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
arncht wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

It's only slow in FPU tasks which didn't use 3DNow. That was a limited number of games (like Quake), not much else really. In everything else the core could easily keep up with a similar P2/P3 Katmai clock-for-clock and the big and fast cache meant things ran smoother than until the Coppermine came along. Moreover most of the 'buggy' FUD around the chipsets is mainly driver issues, which were very relevant in the day, but were fixed not too long after they appeared. Or individual board revision designs with issues (Early FIC PA-2013 MVP3 with insufficient VRMs for AGP, late revision Asus P5A that messed up the G-stepping ALI Aladdin V implementation). Pretty much any other MVP3 or Aladdin V chipset board with the most recent drivers is as stable as most competing platforms from 1999.

Regardless of that, it's the best performing CPU for its platform, which always commands a premium. That said, I agree they're downright cheap. I got mine earlier this year for EUR 15 out of a NOS batch offered on eBay. Try getting an Am5x86-160 let alone a Cx5x86-133, or even a Pentium III-S 1400 for anything near that price...

Reply 26078 of 52340, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The value comes from that it is clearly a collectible, it's rarity and a fact that it was fastest produced for the platform makes it worh much.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 26079 of 52340, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K6-III (and K6-2+) listings on eBay US are usually fairly cheap but listings on EU are often about twice as expensive.. I get the feeling the chips were a lot more common in US.