VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 26240 of 52822, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ well it has real cache on it (128kb), umb blocks get activated with URAM, it's stable as far as I can tell - but yes, the pcb is too thin 🤣 🤣 🤣
Maybe the AWARD BIOS works with large HDDs as well? need to test this.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 26241 of 52822, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My old 486 supported hard drives up to 7.8GB, which was weird, yet awesome. In fact, my Packard Bell desktop supported up to 3.2GB surprisingly, yet, my 10GB HDD won't get detected at all for some reason after upgrading the BIOS from the OEM Phoenix BIOS 4.03 to Micro Firmware 4.05.10 (maybe it's a bad cable) on the primary channel, but, it gets detected on the secondary channel without issues. Good luck, man. Also, having a math co-processor in that machine is the icing on the cake.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 26242 of 52822, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ yeah I will test it and report back on the hdd situation. I have a good feeling about this 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 26243 of 52822, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote:

^ well it has real cache on it (128kb), umb blocks get activated with URAM, it's stable as far as I can tell - but yes, the pcb is too thin 🤣 🤣 🤣

If only they made it thin enough to fold for shipping... 😎

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 26244 of 52822, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

Lba released just in the middle of 94 in the bioses. I have a very early asus sis471 board (v1.3), which comes with 3.3v cpu support, but the award bios detected the dx4 as p24t, and no lba support. They sold this board at the end of 94.

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 26245 of 52822, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Neco wrote:

I bought a Gefen VGA to DVI scaler Plus off ebay and it arrived much sooner than expected.

How much did it cost and are you happy with the quality? I bought an Aten like 10 years ago because it was only like a fourth of the price of the Gefen: https://www.aten.com/us/en/products/professio … nverters/vc160/

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 26246 of 52822, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:
The pic should have been obvious... […]
Show full quote

The pic should have been obvious...

It's a board with Intel's i820 Camino chipset that supports SDRAM using an MTH (Memory Translator Hub). Those things were awful by design, combining SDRAM's relatively low bandwidth with the Rambus interface's excessively high latencies. But the reality was worse: Intel was unable to get them running stable at anything near the required speeds. At first they promised fixes in new BIOS releases, but when they failed to materialise Intel eventually recalled all boards with an MTH, offering a Rambus - only i820 board in exchange, with the same amount of RDRAM as on the recalled board (which at 2000 prices was an extraordinarily expensive exercise).

This was the second recall in 'Caminogate' - earlier Intel had already had to recall all i820 boards with three RIMM slots due to unrelated stability problems. To call this chipset a train wreck would be too kind.

Xbitlabs reviewed this specific board and concluded that their test example was only stable below 120 MHz, which - given the only argument to buy an i820 board with SDRAM was to run a 133MHz FSB Pentium 3 in-spec - was pretty disastrous. I look forward to seeing how this one does...

This was a big failure for Intel for sure back then.

I had forgotten about this variant of the 820 chipset.
I have had the pleasure of experimenting with 2 VC820 boards, one with 2 RDRAM slots and 1 with 3. Both boards had virtually identical layout, but some soldered individual components did differ.
The 3 slotted VC820 had a hard time even getting Windows installed as I went from BSoD to BSoD and at some point I had had enough and switched boards to the VC820 with 2 RDRAM slots and it had been smooth sailing ever since 😁

The 3 slotted board remained unstable no regardless of how I tried to arrange the memory modules, even using just 1 module and a couple CRIMM in all sorts of combinations.

But it was an interesting experiment for sure. Obviously the build built around the 3 slotted board was a failure, but imo the experiment itself was a success 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 26247 of 52822, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's something I ordered ages ago but finally showed up in my mailbox while I was away for a couple weeks. A mighty Phenom II X3 720 Black Editition:

CameraZOOM-20181128212850234.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181128212850234.jpg
File size
208.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

For some reason I find the concept of a triple-core hilarious, although this "should" be unlockable to a quad-core, and being the "black edition", it has an unlocked multiplier. Will be fun to mess around with. It cost me literally $13 shipped, while the X4 & X6 variants are still going for $25-50+, so can't complain. This was intended to go in red, green, beige & blue, but since that build failed, it'll be a much-needed upgrade for my VGA capture PC instead.

Incidentally it came in this adorable seemingly brand-new folding CPU box. I have no idea if this is what these boxes were intended for, but it's goddamn perfect. Where can I get some of these?

CameraZOOM-20181128213401690.jpg
Filename
CameraZOOM-20181128213401690.jpg
File size
206.46 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 26248 of 52822, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

... Incidentally it came in this adorable seemingly brand-new folding CPU box. I have no idea if this is what these boxes were intended for, but it's goddamn perfect. Where can I get some of these?

You ordered that CPU from China, right? :p
In the past I've bought some Intel s775 and similar AMD CPUs from those sellers, and individually they each arrived in those exact same boxes. I imagine some cardboard packaging factory there commissions them or something.

Reply 26249 of 52822, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SW-SSG wrote:

You ordered that CPU from China, right? :p
In the past I've bought some Intel s775 and similar AMD CPUs from those sellers, and individually they each arrived in those exact same boxes. I imagine some cardboard packaging factory there commissions them or something.

Came from a Korean seller... I think he's just a dude who parts out old PCs rather than some high-volume industrial operation, judging by the labelling & his other auctions, so he must have bought them somewhere. Incidentally the CPU box was gently bubble-wrapped and shipped in a padded outer envelope. Can't complain.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 26250 of 52822, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not much lately:

44UtEsOl.jpg

Now they can be friends:

AXYYyvfl.jpg

Still looking for the non-value black box which seems to be a PITA to find.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 26251 of 52822, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

Incidentally it came in this adorable seemingly brand-new folding CPU box. I have no idea if this is what these boxes were intended for, but it's goddamn perfect. Where can I get some of these?

Conrad - they come in different sizes:
https://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/172324/E … ef=searchDetail

Reply 26252 of 52822, by Benetton93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My pretty compact november report on old hardware that i've got:
ATi Radeon HD3850
Xq4l3jxm.jpg
Probably one of the most powerful AGP card. 😀

S3 Savage/IX

0Pz4qeLm.jpg
Kinda weird thing (and yes, i know that this particular IX chip is for notebooks), but since i like this Savage family of graphics cards, this is a great addition to my collection. Also, i like this turquoise color of PCB.

ESS Audiodrive ES688F
LtDAY1Gm.jpg
Very useful thing for 486/P1 builds.

And couple of Intel-ish stuff:

Intel Advanced/EV (Endeavour)
nlAvScpm.jpg
I know that Intel mobos have tons of quirks, but... damn, it's huge. It's like two standard Socket 7 mobos in size. 😀
Also, interesting what this power connector near PCI bus means...

Intel D815EEA2
1nZR1IIm.jpg
Well, classic socket 370 mobo, made by Intel.

My retro PCs:
ZIDA 5STX, PMMX-166, S3 ViRGE/DX, 3Dfx Voodoo 1, Creative CT4830
AOpen AX-34U, P3-1133, GF 3 Ti200, Aureal Vortex 2
Allround 815EPT, P3-800, ASUS V7700TIvx/32M, Creative SB0220 (my first PC from 2001)
ASUS P3B-F for tests
IBM ThinkPad R31

Reply 26253 of 52822, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The power connector on the intel socket 7 motherboard is 3.3V power connector for pci based on the manual. I have never connected anything in it in mine and everything has worked fine.

Reply 26254 of 52822, by Benetton93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote:

The power connector on the intel socket 7 motherboard is 3.3V power connector for pci based on the manual. I have never connected anything in it in mine and everything has worked fine.

Thanks for explaining. I've seen (and have) a lot of S7 mobos, but this is first one with such a thing. 😀

My retro PCs:
Allround 815EPT, P3-800, ASUS V7700TIvx/32M, Creative SB0220 (my first PC from 2001)
ASUS P3B-F for tests
IBM ThinkPad R31

Reply 26255 of 52822, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Benetton93 wrote:
My pretty compact november report on old hardware that i've got: [...] […]
Show full quote

My pretty compact november report on old hardware that i've got:
[...]

Intel D815EEA2
1nZR1IIm.jpg
Well, classic socket 370 mobo, made by Intel.

What's that odd little connector next to the GMCH? Somewhere to add dedicated framebuffer RAM for the IGP?

I think I might have hit the jackpot. Tomorrow afternoon I'm clearing out someone's attic. No idea exactly what I'm getting, but on the typically fuzzy, dark pictures I count at least 14 LPX or AT cases, a couple of boxes with "386SX-25" and "386DX-40" on them, piles of PCBs of every description, more large boxes without label bulging with something, and some CRTs including an absolutely titanic one by the look of it (no, not an FW900, but not that much smaller). I seriously expect my car is going to be the limiting factor.

Reply 26256 of 52822, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know that Intel mobos have tons of quirks

They're mostly boring, but at least, in my experience, ATX Socket 7 Intel boards are quite common(lots of OEM), which might be useful for a Pentium MMX build.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 26257 of 52822, by Benetton93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote:

What's that odd little connector next to the GMCH? Somewhere to add dedicated framebuffer RAM for the IGP?

Do you talking about SCSI-ish looking one? I was confused too when i saw it first time, it's called DVO. Digital Video Output if i got it right.

My retro PCs:
ASUS P3B-F for tests
IBM ThinkPad R31

Reply 26258 of 52822, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Benetton93 wrote:
S3 Savage/IX http://i.imgur.com/0Pz4qeLm.jpg Kinda weird thing (and yes, i know that this particular IX chip is for notebooks), […]
Show full quote

S3 Savage/IX

0Pz4qeLm.jpg
Kinda weird thing (and yes, i know that this particular IX chip is for notebooks), but since i like this Savage family of graphics cards, this is a great addition to my collection. Also, i like this turquoise color of PCB.

The memory is located directly on the graphics chip, so I guess you can call this the early version of AMD's HBM 🤣

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 26259 of 52822, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lot of ISA Sound cards.
Yamaha ISA OPL
Turtle Beach Monte Carlo
Sound Blaster 16 Value
Ess audio drive ES1688F

Attachments

• Yamaha 32.jpg
    Filename
    Yamaha 32.jpg
    File size
    273.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • SB16 Value.jpg
    Filename
    SB16 Value.jpg
    File size
    306.05 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Monte Carlo.jpg
    Filename
    Monte Carlo.jpg
    File size
    309.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Ess audio drive ES1688F.jpg
    Filename
    Ess audio drive ES1688F.jpg
    File size
    316.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 231312.jpg
    Filename
    231312.jpg
    File size
    474.49 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-11-30, 17:42. Edited 1 time in total.