VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29620 of 52685, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm really digging these convertible cases, I think Compaq did something very similar too, with some of their full size Deskpro computers (don't quote me on that 🤣, I haven't seen any of these)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 29621 of 52685, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vynix wrote:

I'm really digging these convertible cases, I think Compaq did something very similar too, with some of their full size Deskpro computers (don't quote me on that 🤣, I haven't seen any of these)

They did. I have one or two around here somewhere 😀

Reply 29622 of 52685, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vynix wrote:

Deskpro EN line from the late Pentium III era on through the mid Pentium 4 era.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 29623 of 52685, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For €150 (about 170 USD) I've hauled this load back home:

1.jpg
Filename
1.jpg
File size
1.3 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

About 75 mainboards, mainly ASUS, in so-so to new condition. About 3 I chucked right away as they were heavily corroded.

In somewhat tidier stacks:

2.jpg
Filename
2.jpg
File size
838.79 KiB
Views
File license

So mainly ASUS Nvidia-based chipset boards. But also a few interesting bits and bobs:

- Kontron 986LCD-M Mini-ITX i965 based ultra low voltage board. Triple LAN!
- TUSL-2C Tualatin ATX board (just one, the other box had an ABIT i815E-based socket 370)
- EPIA mITX boards, C3 based
- Gigabyte Atom 1,6GHz based mITX

Reply 29624 of 52685, by rikukos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some great history tied to this card. In the LGR video @ 17:36 on a place called Computer Reset, is the shelf were her was picked up. She was on the top I was told, buried in the pile. This was one of owners (Richard) "museum" pieces. Not (personally) found by me, though.

puMAYtDh.jpg

Mint and complete 😎

cYvZ0Sth.jpg

Then some REAL(!) gems (albeit IBM Music Feature Card is not something to look down on)

SoundPiper 16/32 😎

PYlrRQAh.jpg

and..the ChipChat Sound Card 😀 !!

3cjAPaah.jpg

Reply 29626 of 52685, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice. I was pretty sure some of them (or maybe even plenty of them???) are buried in this warehouse.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 29627 of 52685, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should go there sometime, but, over the weekend would suffice. I should find one in my state sometime, if there is something like Computer Reset. The cheapest computer I have is a Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus and I did a lot of upgrades and feature installations since 2017. LGR found a lot of really neat and interesting things, including the PCJr system.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29628 of 52685, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up this Panasonic EIDE 5-disc CD-ROM changer at a local computer store for $3, complete in box. Noticed it was in the recycle pile and assumed it was an empty box. Assumed wrong.

Panasonic SQ-TC500N Box.jpg
Filename
Panasonic SQ-TC500N Box.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Panasonic SQ-TC500N Box Side.jpg
Filename
Panasonic SQ-TC500N Box Side.jpg
File size
844.27 KiB
Views
File license
Panasonic SQ-TC500N Box Contents.jpg
Filename
Panasonic SQ-TC500N Box Contents.jpg
File size
1002.87 KiB
Views
File license
Panasonic SQ-TC500N Drive.jpg
Filename
Panasonic SQ-TC500N Drive.jpg
File size
820.57 KiB
Views
File license

Also imaged the driver disks for anyone interested.

Filename
Panasonic SQ-TC500N 5-Disc CD-ROM Changer Setup Disks.zip
File size
4.12 MiB
Downloads
55 downloads
File license
Last edited by liqmat on 2019-09-27, 15:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 29629 of 52685, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
liqmat wrote:

Picked up this Panasonic EIDE 5-disc CD-ROM changer at a local computer store for $3, complete in box. Noticed it was in the recycle pile and assumed it was an empty box. Assumed wrong.

Nice find! 😀 Does Windows assign it just 1 drive letter or does it get 5?

Reply 29630 of 52685, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:
HanJammer wrote:

Just a matter of soldering in some pins on SIMM30 modules...

Yes, but if I need to use the regular simms in another machine I have to desolder them again.

Take a look at this: http://sbfmdrv.blogspot.com/2016/01/using-sim … s-as-sipps.html

You might be able to use a SIMM in a SIMM socket as a SIPP.

1982 to 2001

Reply 29632 of 52685, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote:

[...]

I like that tiny ISA card way more than I should. You usually only see PCI cards with that kind of every-penny-pinched design.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 29633 of 52685, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Puh, won this auction but I am afraid I paid too much money. Think some other collectors spotted this and the seller was rather […]
Show full quote

Puh, won this auction but I am afraid I paid too much money. Think some other collectors spotted this and the seller was rather surprised about the outcome...

Will see if something works. We have:
4 x 286 Mainboard, 2xSuntac
3 x 486 Mainbaord, 1 with PCI+VLB
4 x Soundblaster
1 x Mediavision
3 x Voodoo I
1 x Voodoo Banshee with Cinch-Out?
ISA Video Capture
ET4000 VLB
2 x ISA ARCNet
2 interesting (full length) PCI Graphics cards, one Matrox?
..and not too much junk.

(sellers photo)

EbJul1.jpg

That's an awesome lot but I don't like to see such valuable hardware on the street 😵

Has that been for sale on Marktplaats or do you mean an actual auction website (e.g. ebay, catawiki)?

Reply 29634 of 52685, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:
Picked up this lot from a friendly collector. I've been looking for SIPP memory for a board that I think I just threw away last […]
Show full quote

Picked up this lot from a friendly collector. I've been looking for SIPP memory for a board that I think I just threw away last week. 🤣

pile.jpg
466dx2.jpg
mb.jpg
vlb_jazz.jpg
sipp.jpeg

Not bad 😉 The Asus socket 3 board is an amazing find.

Reply 29635 of 52685, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Take a look at this: http://sbfmdrv.blogspot.com/2016/01/using-sim … s-as-sipps.html

But I already got several SIPP chips. 😕

Reply 29636 of 52685, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sf78 wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

But I already got several SIPP chips. 😕

now you just need those Sipps juice boxes

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 29637 of 52685, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Lennart wrote:
liqmat wrote:

Nice find! 😀 Does Windows assign it just 1 drive letter or does it get 5?

I just tested it quickly in DOS 6.22 to make sure it worked, it does. With just the standard Oak CD-ROM driver it's one drive letter in DOS. I plan on testing it more in DOS & Windows 3.1 with it's own driver disks when I have more time.

Reply 29638 of 52685, by AlaricD

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote:

Actually, the coolest thing about this machine is the case. Meet the 1999 Palo Alto ATCX, aka the convertible case. Just take out the drive cage:
And you can turn this case into a desktop:
Even the little badge holder can be rotated (although right now the front panel of this case is a bit yellowed, so I didn't move the badge).

Wow, THAT is a neat feature!

Reply 29639 of 52685, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rikukos wrote:
Then some REAL(!) gems (albeit IBM Music Feature Card is not something to look down on) […]
Show full quote

Then some REAL(!) gems (albeit IBM Music Feature Card is not something to look down on)

SoundPiper 16/32 😎

PYlrRQAh.jpg

and..the ChipChat Sound Card 😀 !!

3cjAPaah.jpg

Noice! I think I spotted an MCA fan!

To me, this is really interesting although I'm not personally a PS/2 collector. Still, I'd love to know how these stack up wrt the compatibility of ISA based ES1688 cards.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder