VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30100 of 52786, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess it's because they get more if the "scrap" is pre-sorted, there's probably different prices /kg for different classes of scrap, metals, PCBs, ICs... hence why you find so many cards and boards with removed brackets, heatsinks ripped off, chips removed etc. it's a common sight.
I already bought scrap lots where the boards and chips got sold seperately (luckily from the same seller) and I had to puzzle them back together.

it's just that most people don't see any value in old electronics, it is literally scrap in their eyes, so they just care about $$/kg, same with the gold scrappers that would just smash up rare vintage cpus.

Reply 30101 of 52786, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
svfn wrote:
imi wrote:
derSammler wrote:

And the question is if the card is actually working. The chips were most likely removed without care because the card was dead.

scrappers mostly do everything without care, they usually don't care (no pun intended) if it was actually working before or not.

It makes me cringe sometimes seeing how working cards are thrown and flipped carelessly about onto each other, or maybe I am just too paranoid about handling 20+ year old hardware, even the ones with less value. So it amazes me when somethings from a junk pile still work.

Tbh I don't really blame the scrappers, they scrap stuff. I'd prefer they didn't scrap this stuff, but what they do is fit for the purpose. I get more worked up about sellers who actually see value in old electronics and then display it without antistatic bags on fluffy carpet or similar. No, that old Gf2MX isn't worth EUR 30, and even if it had been before giving it the ESD kiss of death, it sure isn't anymore...

Some hardware arrived here over the past few days:
full.jpg

- a couple of 'silent' 40mm fans - certainly quieter than my old G400MAX fan 😉
- a Trust CM8738-based PCI sound card with full digital in&out, both RCA and Toslink
- Asus V2740TV, probably the most feature-rich Intel i740-based card out there.
- Adaptec AHA-2940U
- STB Velocity 4400, the very first nVidia TNT-based card
- Logitech CST2 serial trackball - unfortunately dead, at least no motion detected, but the buttons work
- Oh yes, and two Creative CT6670 Voodoo 2 cards. Only 8MB each, but better than nothing.

Reply 30102 of 52786, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool haul.

I would take that trackball apart and see if you see anything obvious with the movement sensors / assembly. Could be something as simple as dust bunnies or cracked solder connections.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30103 of 52786, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:

Cool haul.

Actually three separate purchases that arrived together while I was away on business.

I would take that trackball apart and see if you see anything obvious with the movement sensors / assembly. Could be something as simple as dust bunnies or cracked solder connections.

I certainly intend to. I have another one to fix too, a newer Kensington Orbit Scroll with RMB almost not working. Dead/dying microswitch, replacement already sourced, just need to get soldering on that one. Maybe this weekend...

Reply 30104 of 52786, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compaq Deskpro 486s/25m (1993).
A highly modular system featuring an Intel 486SX 25 MHz, 8 MB RAM, a Compaq QVision 1024/E graphics card (1MB) all on dedicated boards. While the system components (CPU, memory board) are located on boards with proprietary connector, the system bus for expansion cards is EISA. Two Connor IDE HDD's (120MB, 240MB) are installed and working fine (so far).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    183.42 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Compaq Deskpro 486s/25m
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 4.jpg
    Filename
    4.jpg
    File size
    451.89 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Guts
    File license
  • 6.jpg
    Filename
    6.jpg
    File size
    391.07 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Memory board
    File license
  • 7.jpg
    Filename
    7.jpg
    File size
    464.09 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CPU board
    File license
  • 8.jpg
    Filename
    8.jpg
    File size
    252.85 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Compaq QVision 1024/E
    File license
Last edited by Anonymous on 2019-09-06, 08:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30105 of 52786, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This little devil arrived by courier today. DVI-VGA connector to fit to my 2008 ASUS EeeBox. I've never actually run a system or monitor with DVI. Kinda missed the whole "experiance" as it were. I have a few video cards out in a box in the shed with the connection though from scrapped systems. I'll integrate the wee EeeBox into my home network very nicely. It comes with XP installed. You can run Windows 7 on the thing and there are drivers for both OSs. I think I will install something a bit more, shall we say, exotic on. I like using odd OSs and predominately smaller form factor setups. ASUS is great for support. I replaced my testing 15yo Transonic lcd tv panel last week which had a standard 15.6" lcd laptop panel. First time I'll have to deal with that sill UEFI setup so it should be fun.

20190905_112944[1].jpg
Filename
20190905_112944[1].jpg
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license

Edit-Just tested the EeeBox and it is running sweet.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30106 of 52786, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

SS7 ATX with bulging caps...not worth any repair

IMG_2584r.jpg

Defiantly worth fixing as those full size SS7 ATX boards don’t come by very often today.

Reply 30107 of 52786, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote:

- Asus V2740TV, probably the most feature-rich Intel i740-based card out there.

I also own one of these cards, I had it in my PII PC in 1998 and managed to get a hold of one again early last year. I have very fond memories of using it alongside a Voodoo 2, it had very good image quality and I actually got a lot of use out of the video out.

ASUS-AGP-V2740-TV-Intel-i740.jpg

ASUS made a lot of cards with fantastic VIVO functionality at the time. This GeForce DDR from my collection for example is also equally amazing:

ASUS-AGP-V6600-32-M-TVR-Ge-Force-256-DDR.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 30108 of 52786, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished setting up my wee EeeBox.

20190905_201816[1].jpg
Filename
20190905_201816[1].jpg
File size
1.08 MiB
Views
File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30109 of 52786, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:

Interesting SONY boards. Very heavy. Have to google what this was used for. At least some intersting ICs, e.g. 68030

Looks like it's from a Sony NEWS workstation. Probably not a NWS-1250, but many chips look from your board are present in the NWS-1250. Your looks like pulled from a big VME-based workstation.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 30110 of 52786, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wanted a real vintage ISA POST analysis card for a while now, since I have two motherboards that don't work with the otherwise very decent new ISA/PCI versions you get for a few bucks on eBay. I made some money selling stuff and decided to get something nice:

M9LL9adl.jpg

uZSiwwsl.jpg

Rq1SaZEl.jpg

ScHRGael.jpg?1

9oO8InPl.jpg?1

Pretty much never used, the software is still sealed. One of the loopback connectors is missing but otherwise complete and in good condition. Money well wasted! 😉

1982 to 2001

Reply 30111 of 52786, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retropol wrote:

my 486 dx2 setup:

btw - swap to ESCOM possible 😁

PC tower cases by year

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 30112 of 52786, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GL1zdA wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

Interesting SONY boards. Very heavy. Have to google what this was used for. At least some intersting ICs, e.g. 68030

Looks like it's from a Sony NEWS workstation. Probably not a NWS-1250, but many chips look from your board are present in the NWS-1250. Your looks like pulled from a big VME-based workstation.

MANY THANKS for that hint!!! I didnt find anything so far. Maybe the smaller board is the graphics card? But all rather useless without case and more documentation. But too nice to scrap. I will extract the ROMs next to see whats inside.

Reply 30113 of 52786, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This showed up yesterday. Media Forted Nvidia NV1 Card. Comes with some Cheap Pad and DB9 breakout for I assume a 2nd Pad. The box does say it can accommodate a Saturn Compatible Breakout Board but that wasn't included.

URaO2u7l.jpg
9w1JvC3l.jpg

Reply 30114 of 52786, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:
Predator99 wrote:

MANY THANKS for that hint!!! I didnt find anything so far. Maybe the smaller board is the graphics card? But all rather useless without case and more documentation. But too nice to scrap. I will extract the ROMs next to see whats inside.

So I verified and the boards are indeed from a "Sony NeWS NWS-3710". I also extracted the ROMs and there is a string "SONY NET WORK STATION" in it. Connectors on the rear are the same as here:
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Sony_NEWS

What a pity that I didnt get the case with it. I contacted the seller and asked for it but I dont have much hope...this would be a very cool and unique workstation!

Filename
SONY NEWS.rar
File size
29.58 KiB
Downloads
38 downloads
File license

https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_sonynewsNE_21663823

Reply 30115 of 52786, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Predator99 wrote:

SS7 ATX with bulging caps...not worth any repair

IMG_2584r.jpg
Filename
IMG_2584r.jpg
File size
39 KiB
Views
File license

Incredible...thats a quality board. Gave it a try without exchanging anything and it POSTs...! Thanks for your "heads up"...was already in my scrap box 😎

Reply 30118 of 52786, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:
This showed up yesterday. Media Forted Nvidia NV1 Card. Comes with some Cheap Pad and DB9 breakout for I assume a 2nd Pad. The b […]
Show full quote

This showed up yesterday. Media Forted Nvidia NV1 Card. Comes with some Cheap Pad and DB9 breakout for I assume a 2nd Pad. The box does say it can accommodate a Saturn Compatible Breakout Board but that wasn't included.

URaO2u7l.jpg
9w1JvC3l.jpg

Nice! I want one so bad, but I just can't pay the collector's tax 😒

Reply 30119 of 52786, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote:
https://www.vogons.org/download/file.php?id=67969&t=1 […]
Show full quote

file.php?id=67969&t=1

OK, this is the coolest thing I've seen in a while. I hope you can get it restored.

I'm also really digging your opticlal drives. I've got a similar affection. 😀