Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 32640 of 52739, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-23, 10:30:

Better save for a Blizzard 1260, a Warp 1260, or an ACA1260. The Vampire might be a masterpeice to some, but it's an FPGA clone of a large part of the Amiga hardware and still has many quirks and drawbacks. What you have in the end is no longer a real Amiga. If at all, wait for the stand-alone Vampire V4.

I ended up picking up an Apollo 1230 40/50 which is pretty much what I use to have back in the day, I had a GVP 40Mhz 68030 accelerator but I sold it to a friend before I moved out of state when I was 20 years old. So I see your logic and I intend to try to source the full standalone vampire and keep my 1200 with original parts.

I'm excited, contacted someone about recapping and am waiting to hear back. I would love to do the recapping myself but given that I'm just getting back into my amiga and how they are not cheap anymore I figured giving it to someone with more experience who can give the board a complete check and recap would be a good idea.

Reply 32641 of 52739, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A 68030 is fine as well. My main A1200 has an ACA1233n-40 as well, which is fast enough for most stuff. If you are going for MP3 or web-browsing however, anything below a 060 won't get you far.

Reply 32642 of 52739, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had an amazing opportunity to visit RE-PC in Seattle, WA.

Felt like a small child in an amazing candy shop. 😁

Though, i kept the amount of products small, as i didn't have too much room flying back to home.

So, 2x ISA sound cards, S3 Virge DX, REALmagic decoder card and brand new DVD RAM.
Total price a little under 6$. 😮

Attachments

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 32643 of 52739, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-02-23, 17:46:
I had an amazing opportunity to visit RE-PC in Seattle, WA. […]
Show full quote

Though, i kept the amount of products small, as i didn't have too much room flying back to home.

So, 2x ISA sound cards, S3 Virge DX, REALmagic decoder card and brand new DVD RAM.

Love the vintage VHS security camera. Gotta stay authenticate.

IMG_20200220_174659.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200220_174659.jpg
File size
1006.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 32644 of 52739, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
derSammler wrote on 2020-02-23, 17:21:

A 68030 is fine as well. My main A1200 has an ACA1233n-40 as well, which is fast enough for most stuff. If you are going for MP3 or web-browsing however, anything below a 060 won't get you far.

Yeah, I'll wait for the V4 standalone to see what a blown out modern interpretation of the amiga can do.

Unrelated I took apart my 1200 to check it out and the board is pristine, no cap leakage or anything but I found a crumpled up rolling paper in the case, 🤣, I wonder how I got that in there all those years ago. I saved the rolling paper and intend to replace it when the recapping is done.

Reply 32645 of 52739, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Snagged a set of laptops for $25 locally. 1 very interesting laptop, 1 nice-to-have, and 2 that I could care less about.

The best of the lot is a Toshiba Portege S5005 with a DESKTOP Pentium 3 1.1GHZ CPU, 512MB of RAM, and a GeForce2 Go with 16MB of DDR memory. I had to order a power supply for the first time in forever (I thought I had adapters for everything at this point TBH) so I won't know if it works until that arrives but the person I bought it from said that she used it in college. Aren't these the same 1.1GHZ PIII's that have some weird stability problems relating to voltage? The specs on this thing are obscene given that its arguably in that prerunner class of "Multimedia Notebooks" that eventually gave way to monsters like the XPS Gen1. https://usermanual.com/document/8324/toshiba- … cification.html

The runner up is a Dell Lattitude D610 with a 1.6GHZ Pentium 4M, 1024MB of RAM, and a Mobility Radeon X300 with 64MB of memory. 1024x768 screen, this should be nice for most titles from 2002.

The other two are a Pavilion DV4 with Core2 of some sorts and integrated graphics, and a Inspiron 1300 again sporting a Core2 with integrated graphics. Might sling these out to family members needing word processing beaters.

On a sidenote: Why am I buying more equipment? I haven't played a game for more than 10 minutes on a retro gaming PC since probably last year, yet I spend ridiculous amounts of time cleaning them, setting them up, working on them etc. At this point I'm not sure if the hobby is playing retro games on PCs or maintianing a ridiculous collection of retro PCs.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 32646 of 52739, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-02-23, 22:10:
Snagged a set of laptops for $25 locally. 1 very interesting laptop, 1 nice-to-have, and 2 that I could care less about. […]
Show full quote

Snagged a set of laptops for $25 locally. 1 very interesting laptop, 1 nice-to-have, and 2 that I could care less about.

The best of the lot is a Toshiba Portege S5005 with a DESKTOP Pentium 3 1.1GHZ CPU, 512MB of RAM, and a GeForce2 Go with 16MB of DDR memory. I had to order a power supply for the first time in forever (I thought I had adapters for everything at this point TBH) so I won't know if it works until that arrives but the person I bought it from said that she used it in college. Aren't these the same 1.1GHZ PIII's that have some weird stability problems relating to voltage? The specs on this thing are obscene given that its arguably in that prerunner class of "Multimedia Notebooks" that eventually gave way to monsters like the XPS Gen1. https://usermanual.com/document/8324/toshiba- … cification.html

The runner up is a Dell Lattitude D610 with a 1.6GHZ Pentium 4M, 1024MB of RAM, and a Mobility Radeon X300 with 64MB of memory. 1024x768 screen, this should be nice for most titles from 2002.

The other two are a Pavilion DV4 with Core2 of some sorts and integrated graphics, and a Inspiron 1300 again sporting a Core2 with integrated graphics. Might sling these out to family members needing word processing beaters.

On a sidenote: Why am I buying more equipment? I haven't played a game for more than 10 minutes on a retro gaming PC since probably last year, yet I spend ridiculous amounts of time cleaning them, setting them up, working on them etc. At this point I'm not sure if the hobby is playing retro games on PCs or maintianing a ridiculous collection of retro PCs.

that 1.1 GHz P3 might be a later Coppermine D stepping (which fixed the issue of the 1.13 ghz model) or even be a Tualatin 1.13

The Latitude D610 uses a Pentium M, not a Pentium 4-M

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 32647 of 52739, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

more Matrox cards \o/
G400, Mystique and Mystique 220 again

hardware36_25.jpg
Filename
hardware36_25.jpg
File size
424.91 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

two Riva 128, one AGP one PCI
ICL ATI 28800 VGA Wonder+
Creative CT1830 CD-Rom Interface card
and an odd before unkown to me "InteGraphics Systems" IGA 1680_A

hardware36_26.jpg
Filename
hardware36_26.jpg
File size
470.21 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

CT4390 AWE64 Gold
CT1740 SB16
and another PAS16LMSI

hardware36_27.jpg
Filename
hardware36_27.jpg
File size
365.84 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

also got these two Toughbook CF-25 MkIIIs with matching suitcase ^^

hardware36_28.jpg
Filename
hardware36_28.jpg
File size
232.65 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

this is to complete the CF-25 I bought before as a MkIII but turned out to be a MkII 😒
also I never showed these but I also bought a bunch of spare parts so I should be able to kit out one complete CF-25 MkIII easily now ^^

Reply 32648 of 52739, by LHN91

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote on 2020-02-23, 22:10:
Snagged a set of laptops for $25 locally. 1 very interesting laptop, 1 nice-to-have, and 2 that I could care less about. […]
Show full quote

To be honest I have the same feeling most of the time. Half the fun is doing the build, cleaning stuff up, testing, etc. Haven't played a retro game seriously in a while

Reply 32649 of 52739, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-02-23, 17:46:
I had an amazing opportunity to visit RE-PC in Seattle, WA. […]
Show full quote

Mmmmh.. REALMagic .. For some reason I apparently have scrapped mine at some point - but hey, I still have the remote and receiver 🤣 gotta find me one, some day .. Oh well, and a Matrox M3D .. And an AWE64 gold .. and .. and .. and ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 32650 of 52739, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this 386 board from a coworker today 😀

Unfortunately it's got the Varta plague .. Will be removed very soon. On the positive side, it looks like there's only GND plane under the battery, so might be lucky ..

Anybody knows what RAM to plug in? Is it just DIP chips, or is it SIP modules?

Attachments

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 32652 of 52739, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2020-02-24, 11:40:

the ISA slot and pins around the battery seem fine, so it seems to be very localized still, but nasty ^^ should be able to clean that off

Not sure, that looks like it may have eaten through those ISA voltage lanes between the battery and the slots. Hope not, but it does look nasty..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 32654 of 52739, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-02-23, 22:48:

more Matrox cards \o/
G400, Mystique and Mystique 220 again

I was watching these, too, but decided not to get them in the end. Have way too many Matrox cards already.

Got the other three VGA cards from the same seller, however, which were more interesting. 😀

Reply 32655 of 52739, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ah, so that was you ^^ well I got a few of the other lots from the same seller already (some of the cards posted above) so I figured why not just get those too, but yeah I'm beginning to have too many of them, mainly got it for the G400.
and they made me a good price on the AWE64 gold and CT1740 because I already bought the other lots, so that worked out well 😀

Last edited by imi on 2020-02-24, 13:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 32656 of 52739, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-02-24, 11:28:

You need SIPP modules for this one. In addition the bottom slot might be a slot for some proprietary RAM upgrade card.

If you don't have any SIPPs you can always solder pins to a 30 pin SIMMs...

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 32658 of 52739, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mpe wrote on 2020-02-24, 13:14:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-02-24, 11:28:

You need SIPP modules for this one. In addition the bottom slot might be a slot for some proprietary RAM upgrade card.

If you don't have any SIPPs you can always solder pins to a 30 pin SIMMs...

Thanks, so a pin on each pin of SIMM?

The bottom slot? You mean that one, that looks like 2 ISA slots after each other?