Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 33600 of 52728, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boxpressed wrote on 2020-04-26, 23:16:

I bought this NOS ASUS MediaBus VGA/Audio card without even owning a MediaBus motherboard. It's just so strange that I had to have it for my collection: S3 Vision868 and Creative Vibra16 (and OPL3) on the same card. Maybe one day I'll build a system around it.

LOVE this! Nice score!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 33601 of 52728, by seanneko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got an Intergraph TD-310 today.

The seller simply just had it listed as "old 1997 computer" with no details and just a few poor photos. The case is very unassuming, so I almost ignored it thinking it was some generic OEM Celeron or something. But in the corner of one of the photos, I saw what looked like part of a socket 8 socket, so I thought it was worth a gamble to see what the deal was.

Turns out it doesn't just have one socket 8, but dual socket 8. It's a proper workstation with full SCSI, stainless steel chassis, etc. And interestingly, only one of the CPUs is removable. I guess they thought you'd never want to upgrade the primary CPU...

Sadly the proprietary PSU blew up and I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, so I'll have to wire up an ATX PSU to find out if it works or not.

Attachments

Reply 33602 of 52728, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, man. That is one amazing machine. The PSU issue might be only bad caps. I can look and see if there are any proprietary PSUs available, but I won't post the links since it's considered advertising and frowned upon by the moderators and admins of this site.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 33603 of 52728, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
seanneko wrote on 2020-04-27, 06:02:
I got an Intergraph TD-310 today. […]
Show full quote

The seller simply just had it listed as "old 1997 computer" with no details and just a few poor photos. The case is very unassuming, so I almost ignored it thinking it was some generic OEM Celeron or something. But in the corner of one of the photos, I saw what looked like part of a socket 8 socket, so I thought it was worth a gamble to see what the deal was.

Turns out it doesn't just have one socket 8, but dual socket 8. It's a proper workstation with full SCSI, stainless steel chassis, etc. And interestingly, only one of the CPUs is removable. I guess they thought you'd never want to upgrade the primary CPU...

Sadly the proprietary PSU blew up and I can't see anything obviously wrong with it, so I'll have to wire up an ATX PSU to find out if it works or not.

Now that's cool! What about cooling of that primary CPU? As far as I can see, the tabs for holding the heat sink clips are narrower than on a socketed one?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 33604 of 52728, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

They look about the same to me, though. The lighting doesn't distribute well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 33605 of 52728, by seanneko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The PSU had a blown fuse, so I replaced it hoping that's all the problem was. But then when I plugged it in I got several huge sparks around the area with the power regulators. I've looked it over pretty closely and I can't even see anything that looks damaged/burnt. Cosmetically it looks perfect...

Reply 33606 of 52728, by seanneko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-04-27, 06:11:

Now that's cool! What about cooling of that primary CPU? As far as I can see, the tabs for holding the heat sink clips are narrower than on a socketed one?

It has a fairly large passive heatsink which attaches to the black clips. The metal piece with two rivets in it is a duct which directs air from the vents on the front of the case down to the CPU heatsink. There's no duct for the secondary CPU, so I imagine they expect you to install one with active cooling.

There are two big exhaust fans attached to the side of the PSU. These are the only fans in the entire system.

Attachments

Reply 33607 of 52728, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2020-04-23, 20:58:
H3nrik V! wrote on 2020-04-23, 20:16:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-04-23, 18:59:

I really want a dual Socket 370 one day, even if it is a Mendocino only board I can run dual Celeron 533s on. I want to run Windows 2000 on it..

Even better .. You can run 366's clocked at 550 😉 I'll try updating my BP6 with 400's hoping they'll scale up to 600 .. I've bought 4 of them, hoping ..

Had a few back in the day, never got over 83MHz FSB with them. Then again, I was plain unlucky, my 366 didn't want to go over 500MHz no matter what I did either, and to add insult to injury when I got my hands on a 300A later it wouldn't even do 450MHz - and that was despite using nice boards with full voltage and per-MHz FSB control. Fortunately had better luck with K6-2 and P3 - ran my P3-700 at 933MHz for a few years on the same board I couldn't get the C366 past 500MHz.

After I refurbished my BP6 a while ago I set out to get me some good overclocking chips.
Found that all the 300A's I got worked fine at 450MHz with stock voltage.
Even found one that would do 600MHz at 2.3v (!).
366's were a different story tho, ended up getting 10+ of them before I had a pair that would work at 550MHz with only a slight increase in voltage (2.1v).
Luckily a German reseller dumped tons of these chips on ebay for around 1€ each.

Reply 33608 of 52728, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
seanneko wrote on 2020-04-27, 06:02:
I got an Intergraph TD-310 today. […]
Show full quote

Wow, any Intergraph machine is interesting, but a dual PPro is fantastic.

Is it just me, or does this case look almost idential to a Sun Sparcstation Ultra 5? I'd be willing to wager it's a Mitac OEM design as well.

Reply 33609 of 52728, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Salient wrote on 2020-04-26, 13:16:

I doubt I can do anything with it related to DOS gaming though. Or would it be MT-32 compatible with a few tricks?

Sample ROMs are completely different and there's few other differences so it will unfortunately never be MT32 compatible even though it uses exact same core chips.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 33610 of 52728, by Lennart

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2020-04-27, 12:09:
Salient wrote on 2020-04-26, 13:16:

I doubt I can do anything with it related to DOS gaming though. Or would it be MT-32 compatible with a few tricks?

Sample ROMs are completely different and there's few other differences so it will unfortunately never be MT32 compatible even though it uses exact same core chips.

A couple of the old Sierra adventure games had patches for the Roland D series. You can download them here: Roland D series drivers/patches for Sierra games

Reply 33611 of 52728, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure if Sierra just never tested it, or what, but their D-10/20 support is mostly unusable. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but these synthesizers lack a specific function (present in both the MT-32/variants and D-110) that precludes proper soundtrack playback.

Reply 33612 of 52728, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dell 2007FPB arrived . It's the S-IPS variant, made in 2009, and has 50000 odd hours on the clock .

For a total of 105 Canadian dollars including shipping, I would call it a good deal .

Reply 33613 of 52728, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How has shipping and parcels arriving been for you fellow Vogoners?
Mail systems are backed up to hell here in Canada due to Covid-19 and everyone seems to be a bit paranoid as to weather things are gonna arrive or not.

Had a bit of free coin and picked up a few 486 items, including a nice Lucky-Star 5x86 Combo. Allready bought a Cirrus Logic for my existing VLB board, but i thought i'd pickup a PCI mobo while at it.

5x86.png
Filename
5x86.png
File size
495.11 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I know the 'bay is probably the worst place to get good deals on 486, but sometimes one sees something cool and caves ;-;

Reply 33614 of 52728, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SodaSuccubus wrote on 2020-04-27, 20:02:
How has shipping and parcels arriving been for you fellow Vogoners? Mail systems are backed up to hell here in Canada due to C […]
Show full quote

Mail systems are backed up to hell here in Canada due to Covid-19 and everyone seems to be a bit paranoid as to weather things are gonna arrive or not.

Had a bit of free coin and picked up a few 486 items, including a nice Lucky-Star 5x86 Combo. Allready bought a Cirrus Logic for my existing VLB board, but i thought i'd pickup a PCI mobo while at it.
5x86.png
I know the 'bay is probably the worst place to get good deals on 486, but sometimes one sees something cool and caves ;-;

My best deals have actually been on the 'bay... Just patience and hope... The "local pickup only" ones are the best. And the big piles of junk where you spot a gem..

Postage here (south east UK) has been relatively good. Couriers have been amazing and royal mail only about a day later than normal.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 33615 of 52728, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

local postal service is working just fine 😀

some more stuff that recently came out of quarantine ^^

Hercules Game Theater XP complete and in box 😀

hardware38_17.jpg
Filename
hardware38_17.jpg
File size
390.43 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
hardware38_18.jpg
Filename
hardware38_18.jpg
File size
335.35 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

this pretty old but well equpped Enermax EG701AX-VH 600W PSU
has all the bells and whistles, and both a beefy 5V and more than adequate 12V rail for the time.

hardware38_19.jpg
Filename
hardware38_19.jpg
File size
354.92 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

DELL Inspirion 7500
"desktop replacement" from 1999... I don't know the exact specs yet, can't really read into the model numbers, will have to see when I try it out.
I stumbled on this luckily on ebay for a low buy-it-now price just after it was listed when I was looking around randomly and just clicked instantly as dozens of people had it open already apparently x3
it has a Super LS drive, so I expect a higher spec at least.

hardware38_20.jpg
Filename
hardware38_20.jpg
File size
162.71 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
hardware38_21.jpg
Filename
hardware38_21.jpg
File size
140.1 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 33616 of 52728, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2020-04-27, 20:54:

Hercules Game Theater XP complete and in box 😀

Awesome!!! Nice score!

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 33617 of 52728, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thank you :3

this will go nicely with my Hercules ProphetView 920DVI... going to have to make a build around that with a Hercules 9800Pro ^^ gotta get some Hercules speakers too. any other suggestions? x3

Reply 33618 of 52728, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2020-04-28, 10:11:

thank you :3

this will go nicely with my Hercules ProphetView 920DVI... going to have to make a build around that with a Hercules 9800Pro ^^ gotta get some Hercules speakers too. any other suggestions? x3

Watch 1995's Hercules show while you do all that.

Reply 33619 of 52728, by dave343

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
How has shipping and parcels arriving been for you fellow Vogoners? Mail systems are backed up to hell here in Canada due to C […]
Show full quote

5x86.png

As a fellow Canadian I feel your pain dealing with Canada Post... took over 1 month to received my ATX to AT adapter that was shipped USPS Priority from New Orleans to Toronto. USPS was super fast, took less than a week to move from New Orleans to Canada with lots of updates. Once it hit Canada Post, no updates, and took weeks.
Anyways, curious where did you order the 486/PCI board and CPU combo from on eBay? Most of those I find on eBay are either in Eastern Europe, Ukraine etc... and I’m worried about ordering anything from there, mind you the prices are pretty good, but also there seems to be many Quebec sellers on eBay selling 486 boards but for over $200 Cnd!