VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 34680 of 52719, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally find an exact case like the one I had back in the 90s in my first PC! It's missing few details (ie. 3,5" bay bracket) but nevermind...

I have all the parts now to make almost exact replica of my first PC!

It also came with this intersting 386SX 40Mhz motherboard with MR BIOS. PSU in this PC was shot, so I wonder if the motherboard still works... I will test it this weekend.

Attachments

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34681 of 52719, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2020-06-18, 21:39:

I finally find an exact case like the one I had back in the 90s in my first PC! It's missing few details (ie. 3,5" bay bracket) but nevermind...

I have all the parts now to make almost exact replica of my first PC!

It also came with this intersting 386SX 40Mhz motherboard with MR BIOS. PSU in this PC was shot, so I wonder if the motherboard still works... I will test it this weekend.

Yesterday I bought a desktop and it has the exact same sound card... coicidence...😀

Reply 34682 of 52719, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's some ESS based card... not the best, not the worst either... I'm not a big ESS fan unless it's Maestro-1

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34683 of 52719, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is it about Maestro-1 that you like so much? That card doesn't even have proper ESFM..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 34684 of 52719, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bearking wrote on 2020-06-18, 21:20:
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-06-18, 20:17:

That right one seems to have been rather common with OEMs, I've had multiple machines with it (specifically very late 486/early Pentium stuff). Have yet to have one fail on me, which is more than can be said for the awful Apple CD-ROM drives from the mid-90s.

Do you know if it works on IDE or it needs proprietary connector? Maybe a sound card with Panasonic/Matsushita connector?

There might have been different models but the last two I had were both IDE drives, fitted to OEM machines (an IBM Aptiva and a Compaq Presario).

Reply 34685 of 52719, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-06-18, 22:34:
bearking wrote on 2020-06-18, 21:20:
EvieSigma wrote on 2020-06-18, 20:17:

That right one seems to have been rather common with OEMs, I've had multiple machines with it (specifically very late 486/early Pentium stuff). Have yet to have one fail on me, which is more than can be said for the awful Apple CD-ROM drives from the mid-90s.

Do you know if it works on IDE or it needs proprietary connector? Maybe a sound card with Panasonic/Matsushita connector?

There might have been different models but the last two I had were both IDE drives, fitted to OEM machines (an IBM Aptiva and a Compaq Presario).

It's an IDE, just tested it and it works... but I forgot how slooow this thing is... 😀

Reply 34686 of 52719, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2020-06-18, 22:24:

That's some ESS based card... not the best, not the worst either... I'm not a big ESS fan unless it's Maestro-1

Yes, ES1868F, it has a wavetable and an IDE header. It's not a Sound Blaster, but still it's an interesting card

Reply 34688 of 52719, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2020-06-18, 21:39:

I finally find an exact case like the one I had back in the 90s in my first PC!

Was it common that these large AT cases came with baby AT boards?
I thought baby AT boards were mostly used in mini towers and full size AT boards were used in these.

Reply 34689 of 52719, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2020-06-19, 03:53:

Was it common that these large AT cases came with baby AT boards?
I thought baby AT boards were mostly used in mini towers and full size AT boards were used in these.

The "Baby AT" form factor allows boards that can almost reach the front of the case, basically covering the entire tray of either a desktop or mini tower case. Full AT is larger, and extends up beyond the keyboard connector, those are not as common as Baby AT ones, and are usually seen in full towers as they don't fit in the regular smaller cases (AT (form factor)).

The board posted by Han Jammer would be a "teeny tiny baby AT".

Reply 34690 of 52719, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-06-19, 04:46:

You are right, I have tons of these, they are 6,5 x 8,5" (17 x 22 cm) instead of the baby AT 13 x 8,5".
I'm still wondering if it was common to use these tiny boards in large cases like that.

Reply 34691 of 52719, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I haven't purchased this but I don't think it deserves it's own thread.

Does anyone know what this board is? Looks like some kind of industrial 386, but what's with the extra long ISA slots? Something proprietary or just a very uncommon interface? Also, there doesn't appear to be a keyboard port.

These are the best pictures I could get of it from a lot I found online.

odd3861.jpg
Filename
odd3861.jpg
File size
198.4 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 34692 of 52719, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-06-19, 05:18:
I haven't purchased this but I don't think it deserves it's own thread. […]
Show full quote

Does anyone know what this board is? Looks like some kind of industrial 386, but what's with the extra long ISA slots? Something proprietary or just a very uncommon interface? Also, there doesn't appear to be a keyboard port.

odd3861.jpg

Pretty sure that those extra long slots were for 32-bit memory and other upgrade boards.

I'm actually wondering if that is a dual socket 386 board. Certainly looks like it to me.

Could be that it is from a Compaq SytemPro server or similar system:
https://books.google.com/books?id=sTAEAAAAMBA … 20board&f=false

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34693 of 52719, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-06-19, 05:37:
Pretty sure that those extra long slots were for 32-bit memory and other upgrade boards. […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-06-19, 05:18:
I haven't purchased this but I don't think it deserves it's own thread. […]
Show full quote

odd3861.jpg

Pretty sure that those extra long slots were for 32-bit memory and other upgrade boards.

I'm actually wondering if that is a dual socket 386 board. Certainly looks like it to me.

Could be that it is from a Compaq SytemPro server or similar system:
https://books.google.com/books?id=sTAEAAAAMBA … 20board&f=false

Thanks for the info. That's the best lead I've seen. I probably won't be able to buy it, but I've at least asked the seller about it. We'll see. 😀

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 34694 of 52719, by CMB75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2020-06-18, 20:47:
CMB75 wrote on 2020-06-18, 16:57:

Some stuff from the Bay and Mr. Bezos arrived today.

I bought a used ASUS XP55T2P4 Rev.3.x mainboard with 256KB cache onboard and an empty slot for a COAST module. In the package was a, apparently NOS, ASUS P55T2P4 Rev.3.10 mainboard with 512KB cache onboard. I’m trying to contact the seller to sort it out, now.

Why do you need to sort something out? I guess you are after the 512MB cachable area. If that is the case, the board you posted is just fine. It has the low tag bits in the small Winbond chip that is soldered to the board, and you have a socket to add a 16Kx8 or 32Kx8 chip (only 16Kx3 is actually used) to upgrade to the full cachable area. With the extra tag RAM and 512KB cache onboard, the 430HX is maxed out, so I don't see any need to get a different board for better performance.

As I've stated in my original post, the one I ordered is a XP... not a P... with a coin cell, ATX form factor and 256kb onboard cache and a COAST slot.

Attachments

Reply 34695 of 52719, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-06-18, 22:26:

What is it about Maestro-1 that you like so much? That card doesn't even have proper ESFM..

Nothing in particular. I had (and still have) it back in the 90s and I like how the PCB looks. Also one of the first PCI sound cards and not as common as Yamahas, Live!, Ensoniqs, Aureals...

Miphee wrote on 2020-06-19, 05:08:
TheMobRules wrote on 2020-06-19, 04:46:

You are right, I have tons of these, they are 6,5 x 8,5" (17 x 22 cm) instead of the baby AT 13 x 8,5".
I'm still wondering if it was common to use these tiny boards in large cases like that.

Yes, very common. For late 386s especially.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 34696 of 52719, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's about 20% of my $25 scrap lot that finally came in today. I'm extremely surprised everything came in good physical condition despite the box being ruined by FedEx. One board is for sure dead (EVGA X58 SLI), but the others look promising. Very little to no bent pins on anything, including the CPU's. It is going to take me some time to go through the rest. I have about 15 more motherboards and 30 add-in cards to go, plus a dozen or so CD/DVD-ROMs and Floppy drives. It looks like someone just gutted a bunch of PC's and sold off the parts. There's definitely more than $25 worth of stuff here. 🤣

n136DZG.jpg

WQpb5zQ.jpg

wk9HHz4.jpg

eqZCusE.jpg

uF9U3kn.jpg

gX00xNv.jpg

3SEDc4P.jpg

qa0bne4.jpg

qcg0jmR.jpg

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 34698 of 52719, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Few of these modules is apple's cache sticks.

Good to see you got some OEM brands like micron memory etc. I appreciate that seeing you are using them first over generic memory.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.