Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 37680 of 52730, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote on 2021-01-16, 11:08:
Just to add to the nForce 2 debate, I've recently been putting together old gaming builds and the nForce 2 based build was my mo […]
Show full quote
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2021-01-16, 04:20:

In all seriousness, I can't explain why some have had such reliability issues with nforce 2 boards while others have not. Lets all just be glad current PCs aren't like they were back in the early 2000s, at least stability wise.

Just to add to the nForce 2 debate, I've recently been putting together old gaming builds and the nForce 2 based build was my most troublesome.

Using an MSI K7N2 motherboard, it absolutely didn't like an overclocked CPU, with freezes in games. This board also did not like any AGP Radeon graphics cards, with constant crashes and weird behaviour even just trying to run 3DMark. So I had to put in an AGP GeForce FX instead.

The build now at least runs games, but a couple of specific games cause a BSOD in Windows XP after a few minutes of running, for example - Battlefield 1942 is unplayable and Halo at least caused a BSOD once. CPU doesn't seem to be overheating, everything is clean and no visible bad capacitors on the motherboard either.

I really must try running memtest for an extended period as others have been doing, as I am using dual channel. Running memtest for a short while back when I was having problems did not show up any memory errors.

Just in case: if you haven't pulled the northbridge chip cooler off, make sure and do so. If all it has is the original thermal paste, it has become petrified and useless by now.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 37681 of 52730, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SCSI-day today:

16108224665800.jpg
Filename
16108224665800.jpg
File size
179.51 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The 2940AUs are completely surplus to requirements, but the 1542CP is nice (no irritating Centronics clips on the bracket) but the 2842A is of course why I went for this- decent VLB SCSI at last 😀

Reply 37683 of 52730, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Socket3 wrote on 2021-01-16, 19:06:
mwdmeyer wrote on 2021-01-16, 06:44:

I did a very expensive thing. Looking forward to it!

Where did you get it? Can't find anything about the card on google.

This is all I could find .

https://www.forumzone.it/showthread.php?t=53589

Reply 37684 of 52730, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m a little stumped by my most recent purchase.

Last week, I decided to fire up my Windows NT 4.0 experimental build, and the GeForce 6800 GS I previously used with it began to give a blue screen error. The blue screens continued even after I reinstalled the OS. In my frustration, I decided to buy a Radeon x600 in the hope I could get better stability and still maintain widescreen resolutions.

I bought this card. A number of websites report the part number (102A3343701) as a Radeon x600 XT with 256MB of DDR VRAM so I decided to order it for $10 shipped from eBay.

Now that I have it in hand and tested, I don’t think it’s an Radeon x600 XT. At the same time, I’m not entirely sure what it is.

It’s PCI ID matches the x600. Windows NT 4.0 can use the Dell drivers for the x600, but the driver reports it as an x300 PRO with 128MB of VRAM. The ATI drivers for Windows XP identify it as an x550 with 256MB of “HyperMemory”. The core clock and memory clock match the specs for both the x600 and x550.

So, do I have an x600 or an x550? It works with NT 4.0 either way, but I wish I knew what I had for sure.

Attachments

• Radeon x600 or x550.jpg
    Filename
    Radeon x600 or x550.jpg
    File size
    1.09 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • WinXP Video Card ID.jpg
    Filename
    WinXP Video Card ID.jpg
    File size
    126 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • NT4 Video Card ID.jpg
    Filename
    NT4 Video Card ID.jpg
    File size
    696.08 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 37687 of 52730, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-01-16, 17:29:

Just in case: if you haven't pulled the northbridge chip cooler off, make sure and do so. If all it has is the original thermal paste, it has become petrified and useless by now.

Actually that's a good idea, thanks. I don't recall checking that so probably haven't done it! A overheating northbridge could certainly cause the issues I'm having, so I will be repasting & testing this week.

Reply 37688 of 52730, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this for free. From a customer at work.

IMG_6085s.jpg
Filename
IMG_6085s.jpg
File size
708.54 KiB
Views
File license

Voodoo 3, PowerVR PCX-2 and others. 😀
And I bought this. I sort of collect folding knives and of course computers so a nice match. And it's made not far from here.

IMG_6086s.jpg
Filename
IMG_6086s.jpg
File size
473.74 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 37689 of 52730, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Vegge wrote on 2021-01-16, 21:27:
Got this for free. From a customer at work. IMG_6085s.jpg Voodoo 3, PowerVR PCX-2 and others. :) And I bought this. I sort of […]
Show full quote

Got this for free. From a customer at work.
IMG_6085s.jpg
Voodoo 3, PowerVR PCX-2 and others. 😀
And I bought this. I sort of collect folding knives and of course computers so a nice match. And it's made not far from here.
IMG_6086s.jpg

Lucky you! I spent 160 € for an M3D just last December ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 37690 of 52730, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote on 2021-01-16, 20:48:

Remove heatsink and check what the chip says...

In any event it's good to clean&replace thermal compound.

I thought about that, but the whole family uses the same RV370 chip.

Reply 37691 of 52730, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fosterwj03 wrote on 2021-01-16, 20:04:

So, do I have an x600 or an x550? It works with NT 4.0 either way, but I wish I knew what I had for sure.

If my memory serves me right all of those (X300, X550, x600) use the same GPU with different clock speeds.
And also I remember them essentially being the PCI-e variant of the Radeon 9600/9550 series graphics cards.
And later they got another rebrand as X1050.

Though there were exceptions, some X550s and X1050s were built on the RV410 GPU. I have one of those, but yours is obviously not one of them.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 37692 of 52730, by fosterwj03

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-16, 20:32:

I would try using GPU-Z it's really good and reporting what card you have.

Good idea. I just tried it, but I don't think it added that much more information to the puzzle. GPU-Z ID'ed the chip as an RV370 running at the same frequency as both the x600 and x550 specs. The only thing it flagged that I didn't know was that this card has a 128-bit bus. Unfortunately, both the x600 and x550 supported a 128-bit bus.

I might never know for sure. Oh well.

Oddly, GPU-Z showed only 128MB of VRAM. I wonder if this is half the real total VRAM because ATI drivers, at the time, broke the card into two logical controllers for Windows XP. All of the memory pads on my card are populated. Pictures I've found of 128MB cards show only half of the pads populated.

UPDATE: So I just read TechPowerUp's website and it looks like the x550 would have a chip ID of "RV370 LE". If GPU-Z can correctly ID that chip and shows mine as only the "RV370", then perhaps mine is an x600 after all. Thanks everyone.

Reply 37694 of 52730, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stoof wrote on 2021-01-16, 15:51:
OK hol' up, are we just going to let this one slip by without more people freaking out? […]
Show full quote

OK hol' up, are we just going to let this one slip by without more people freaking out?

This is a brand new 3dfx VSA-100-based video card with hdmi out! Super cool!

If the existance of this card is common knowledge, then I guess I'm late for the party. 😀

Yeah it some crazy russian guy called Anthony who is making them. This isn't even the most impressive card he has made. He has SLI Voodoo 1s and 2s on a single board. AGP 1.5v Voodoo 5s and some other crazy things.

All very custom and low quantities. Very expensive but if you are in to that thing very cool.

You can see more here: https://www.facebook.com/zxc64.hw

I will probably take a couple of months to arrive.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 37695 of 52730, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How do you call these miniature folding knifes by what name? I couldn't find one similar my father had which is only just 2 inches long, narrow and has iridescent abalone shell sides, my father was very treasured about it and was sad when he lost that knife. I had strong memories because of him as father, one time I was young child and my finger got a splinter from the hotel's poolside water slide and he used that little knife to pull splinter out. That was nearly 44 years ago.

That was the one of first days, my earliest memories visiting different "big" cities including toured Niagara falls and after that tour of vacation days, finally, parents took me to special needs school where I got schooled during the week, slept at dorm along with special needs kids (including mentally disabled people) in another city not far from Nigara Falls which is nearly 4 hours drive away from our home city where I lived there for several years but visited home every or every other two weekends. 😀
Several years later got mainstreamed into regular schools in my stomping ground city (current) by request as had decided to go along with normal people and wanted normal education with assistance of interpreters. That was right decision. 😀

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 37696 of 52730, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-01-17, 04:12:

How do you call these miniature folding knifes by what name? I couldn't find one similar my father had which is only just 2 inches long, narrow and has iridescent abalone shell sides, my father was very treasured about it and was sad when he lost that knife.

If you google for "mother of pearl pocket knife", is that the kind of thing you mean?

Reply 37697 of 52730, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes they are called pocket knives for a very special reason. You can fold them up and put them in your pocket without stabbing yourself.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 37698 of 52730, by stoof

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mwdmeyer wrote on 2021-01-16, 23:25:
Yeah it some crazy russian guy called Anthony who is making them. This isn't even the most impressive card he has made. He has S […]
Show full quote
OK hol' up, are we just going to let this one slip by without more people freaking out? […]
Show full quote

OK hol' up, are we just going to let this one slip by without more people freaking out?

If the existance of this card is common knowledge, then I guess I'm late for the party. 😀

Yeah it some crazy russian guy called Anthony who is making them. This isn't even the most impressive card he has made. He has SLI Voodoo 1s and 2s on a single board. AGP 1.5v Voodoo 5s and some other crazy things.

All very custom and low quantities. Very expensive but if you are in to that thing very cool.

So cool. Stuff like this is one of few things I would consider bringing out the big wallet for. Please keep us informed when it arrives!

pentiumspeed wrote on 2021-01-17, 04:12:

How do you call these miniature folding knifes by what name?

I'd call that a penknife. So called because it was only used for small tasks such as sharpening a pencil or indeed removing splinters.

Reply 37699 of 52730, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mwdmeyer wrote on 2021-01-16, 23:25:
Yeah it some crazy russian guy called Anthony who is making them. This isn't even the most impressive card he has made. He has S […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Wow! Someone should suggest to this guy to make a proper Facebook page instead of putting this stuff on his personal page - I'd totally give it a Like and a Follow 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto