Topic actions

Reply 37700 of 52685, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote on 2021-01-18, 00:39:
mwdmeyer wrote on 2021-01-16, 23:25:
Yeah it some crazy russian guy called Anthony who is making them. This isn't even the most impressive card he has made. He has S […]
Show full quote
stoof wrote on 2021-01-16, 15:51:

OK hol' up, are we just going to let this one slip by without more people freaking out?

This is a brand new 3dfx VSA-100-based video card with hdmi out! Super cool!

If the existance of this card is common knowledge, then I guess I'm late for the party. 😀

Yeah it some crazy russian guy called Anthony who is making them. This isn't even the most impressive card he has made. He has SLI Voodoo 1s and 2s on a single board. AGP 1.5v Voodoo 5s and some other crazy things.

All very custom and low quantities. Very expensive but if you are in to that thing very cool.

You can see more here: https://www.facebook.com/zxc64.hw

I will probably take a couple of months to arrive.

Wow! Someone should suggest to this guy to make a proper Facebook page instead of putting this stuff on his personal page - I'd totally give it a Like and a Follow 😀

Yeah people have asked for a store page or something so they can more easily see pricing and purchase. I think it is completely a hobby for him and you know with hobbies if you make them into jobs they aren't the same anymore.....

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 37701 of 52685, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mwdmeyer wrote on 2021-01-18, 00:49:
Stiletto wrote on 2021-01-18, 00:39:
Yeah it some crazy russian guy called Anthony who is making them. This isn't even the most impressive card he has made. He has S […]
Show full quote

Yeah it some crazy russian guy called Anthony who is making them. This isn't even the most impressive card he has made. He has SLI Voodoo 1s and 2s on a single board. AGP 1.5v Voodoo 5s and some other crazy things.

All very custom and low quantities. Very expensive but if you are in to that thing very cool.

Wow! Someone should suggest to this guy to make a proper Facebook page instead of putting this stuff on his personal page - I'd totally give it a Like and a Follow 😀

Yeah people have asked for a store page or something so they can more easily see pricing and purchase. I think it is completely a hobby for him and you know with hobbies if you make them into jobs they aren't the same anymore.....

Eh, I know plenty of hobbyists with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram... oh well, I'm getting off-topic anyhow. All that aside, it's very cool to see what he's done here.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 37702 of 52685, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I went and got this lot:

RRFXeBjl.jpg

Tta9QyBl.jpg

From one location I got:

-Two 1.8 GHz Pentium 4 towers (luckily this time I don't have to recap) with 20-30 GB hdds and 384 Mb RAM as well as radeon 7000 AGP cards
-One PIII 450 (labelled "for parts" but with a bit of tinkering, brought back to life)
gOGhAa3l.jpg
ASUS P3V133 board, 192 Mb RAM, 13 gb HDD - Loaded Win 98SE on it already
-4 LCD monitors
-Keyboards and mice
-One Socket 7 TX chipset with a Cyrix MII (IIRC) CPU - unfortunately, this board shows no signs of life. I will have to take it out of there to inspect it further (changed CPU and swapped out to EDO RAM - still -- -- on the PC analyzer) but one voltage regulator has discoloured the board noticeably. 3V is being outputted from there. The case is very yellowed and I will need to repaint the case cover as it is rusty. Worst case my 486 DX2/66 SCSI build will go in there.

From another location I got two SCSI cdroms - a Nakamichi 5 disc changer, and a Pioneer 32x SCSI (for the above mentioned 486 SCSI build) - That Nakamichi cost me more than half of what I paid for the whole 1st lot.

Basically this:

s-l400.jpg

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 37703 of 52685, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of those cases with the translucent blue swoosh on it too! It has a Socket A VIA VT600 board in it that needs a MOSFET replaced and probably also recapping...

Reply 37704 of 52685, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah there were a few things wrong with the system inside - bad RAM, no video, incorrectly set up master/slave drives, and the CPU fan was making a lot of noise. Not very hard fixes, but I will need to retrobrite the case, it's pretty yellowed.

I'll turn my attention to that TX chipset board next though. I'd love to get that one going above all.

Reply 37705 of 52685, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2021-01-10, 20:33:

For $30.00 and a long drive, I purchased four motherboards, two cases, and three video cards. Two Aopen boards, both of which are interesting; one is a Pentium M board, the other is a Pentium 4 775 AGP board. And a pair of industrial Pentium 4 boards. I've tested three of the four boards so far and they have all POSTed. And the video cards are PCI Radeon 7000 64 meg DDR cards. The one P4 board has a 3.0 with hyperthreading CPU, and I'm guessing the other does as well. The only auctions I could find on Ebay for the Socket 478 boards were ridiculously overpriced. And the Pentium M MATX board is apparently so rare that I couldn't find a listing to give me any idea of what it might be worth.

For testing purposes I installed Windows XP on the Aopen i855GMEm-LFS, and it worked fine. It didn't have a floppy drive, so I cheated and used a SATA to IDE adapter and installed XP that way. I installed the SATA driver after, and tested the drive speed both ways; Crystaldisk showed about 85 MB/s with a Seagate drive with the IDE adapter, and 101 through the SATA port. This also allowed me to test the beige IDE DVD ROM, which works fine. This is an added bonus since those are getting to be hard to come by.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 37706 of 52685, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
EvieSigma wrote on 2021-01-18, 04:40:

I have one of those cases with the translucent blue swoosh on it too! It has a Socket A VIA VT600 board in it that needs a MOSFET replaced and probably also recapping...

I have the exact same case holding the FIC PA-2013 + K6-500 system in my signature. When it was given to me by a local radio station a few years ago it had some mid 2000s Athlon system in it and a rather uncommon Radeon HD 4350 AGP card, which I was happy about. That is the latest AGP card I own (with an HD 3850 and 7800GS right behind it).

Anyway, seems like a decent case. 😀

Nice job finding that lot!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 37707 of 52685, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Show full quote
stoof wrote on 2021-01-16, 15:51:
OK hol' up, are we just going to let this one slip by without more people freaking out? […]
Show full quote
mwdmeyer wrote on 2021-01-16, 06:44:

I did a very expensive thing. Looking forward to it!

OK hol' up, are we just going to let this one slip by without more people freaking out?

This is a brand new 3dfx VSA-100-based video card with hdmi out! Super cool!

If the existance of this card is common knowledge, then I guess I'm late for the party. 😀

Wow, this guy makes some crazy cool stuff.

Man, I wish there was a single online shop where you could just buy all these awesome hardware that community members have created over the last couple of years. Sound cards, MIDI daughter boards, graphics cards, adapters and add-ons of all kinds...
But yeah, for most (if not all) of the people behind those projects, it's a hobby, and bringing their projects to a professional level would probably spoil the fun and yield quite a few problems (ensure supply, support, warranty, continuous enhancement, liability issues, etc.). Probably far beyond what any hobbyist would be willing or able to do at greater scale.
(I know of serdashop.com for example, but most projects never reach this level of professionalism, and of course no one can be blamed.)

My retro computers

Reply 37708 of 52685, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gex85 wrote on 2021-01-18, 09:20:

Man, I wish there was a single online shop where you could just buy all these awesome hardware that community members have created over the last couple of years. Sound cards, MIDI daughter boards, graphics cards, adapters and add-ons of all kinds...
But yeah, for most (if not all) of the people behind those projects, it's a hobby, and bringing their projects to a professional level would probably spoil the fun and yield quite a few problems (ensure supply, support, warranty, continuous enhancement, liability issues, etc.). Probably far beyond what any hobbyist would be willing or able to do at greater scale.
(I know of serdashop.com for example, but most projects never reach this level of professionalism, and of course no one can be blamed.)

Not to mention the risk of violating copyright stuff?

[EDIT]: Reduced quote length

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 37709 of 52685, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of the final updates for the nforce 2 board. Perfectly stable with Prime 95 --- 50 something hours later. After I put the voltage at 1.75V as noted in last post.

nforce prime95 - 40many hours.jpg
Filename
nforce prime95 - 40many hours.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Next, I might chuck windows xp on it and do 3d stability tests. have a ATI 9600xt to start with

Reply 37710 of 52685, by ildonaldo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hooray, finally I've got a NOS ViewSonic E70fSB 16"/17" CRT monitor for small money 😀
... let's hope it works.
(had only some good TFTs to run my vintage rigs untill now)

ViewSonic_E70fSB.jpg
Filename
ViewSonic_E70fSB.jpg
File size
116.63 KiB
Views
File comment
ViewSonic E70fSB16"/17" CRT
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

I guess I will give my vintage VR Set (with shutter glasses) a try - and will probably get nausea 😉

Asus_VR.jpg
Filename
Asus_VR.jpg
File size
119.82 KiB
Views
File comment
Asus 7700 Deluxe TVR + VT-100G Deluxe
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Building my own PCs since 1991 - for my retro builds it's "no CF-disks, no Floppy emulators, no modern cases etc.", only the real and authentic stuff whenever possible.

Reply 37711 of 52685, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ildonaldo wrote on 2021-01-18, 15:19:
Hooray, finally I've got a NOS ViewSonic E70fSB 16"/17" CRT monitor for small money :-) ... let's hope it works. (had only some […]
Show full quote

Hooray, finally I've got a NOS ViewSonic E70fSB 16"/17" CRT monitor for small money 😀
... let's hope it works.
ViewSonic_E70fSB.jpg

I remember those being hit-or-miss. What's the dot pitch on that one?

Reply 37712 of 52685, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jed118 wrote on 2021-01-18, 16:01:
Hooray, finally I've got a NOS ViewSonic E70fSB 16"/17" CRT monitor for small money :-) ... let's hope it works. (had only some […]
Show full quote

... let's hope it works.
ViewSonic_E70fSB.jpg

Looking at the box it shows .20mm horizontal and .25mm diagonal dot pitch

Reply 37713 of 52685, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Someone quoted me on this thread, but when I clicked on the appriopriate URL on the motifications, the post seems to have gone.

Screenshot-20210119-000355-1.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 37714 of 52685, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

... let's hope it works.
ViewSonic_E70fSB.jpg

I guess I will give my vintage VR Set (with shutter glasses) a try - and will probably get nausea 😉
Asus_VR.jpg

I had the E70f (beige version) back in the day. The best CRT I ever had, and probably one of the best CRT's I ever experienced.
Unrivalled dotpitch for 17". Made the mistake of replacing it with a larger 21" Triniton (SGI GDM5411) later, and regretted it.
It's a shame Viewsonic LCD's aren't very good. Their flat CRT's were some of the best, if not the best.

Reply 37715 of 52685, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The mailman was finally here with something.... Guess what I will be doing tonight?

PI.jpg
Filename
PI.jpg
File size
47.94 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 37716 of 52685, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-01-18, 17:11:
Someone quoted me on this thread, but when I clicked on the appriopriate URL on the motifications, the post seems to have gone. […]
Show full quote

Someone quoted me on this thread, but when I clicked on the appriopriate URL on the motifications, the post seems to have gone.

Screenshot-20210119-000355-1.jpg

That happens to me as well sometimes.

Reply 37717 of 52685, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-18, 16:25:
Show full quote

... let's hope it works.
ViewSonic_E70fSB.jpg

AH yes, the good old clicking and zooming.

I had a 17 inch back in the day, there must have been something wrong with it because I don't recall it being very good, at least compared to my 21" DiamondScan and a 20" Samsung (I forget the model, this was 20 years ago) monitors from around the same time. A friend had a 15 inch Viewsonic and it also wasn't too impressive. The ones at the computer store I worked at were pretty crisp though. Weird.

Reply 37718 of 52685, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jed118 wrote on 2021-01-18, 18:59:
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-01-18, 16:25:

AH yes, the good old clicking and zooming.

I had a 17 inch back in the day, there must have been something wrong with it because I don't recall it being very good, at least compared to my 21" DiamondScan and a 20" Samsung (I forget the model, this was 20 years ago) monitors from around the same time. A friend had a 15 inch Viewsonic and it also wasn't too impressive. The ones at the computer store I worked at were pretty crisp though. Weird.

I was the only one I knew with one to see in person, so granted there may have been quality issues, and certainly the non-flat versions didn't seem as good. When I got it, it was actually the cheaper of the 17" options in the shop I was at, and thought at first it was another example of me having to settle for second best unlike my mates and their trinitons. Moment I turned it on though, everybody in my circle of nerdy friends were jelious. I'm not sure if they made larger ones. Also 17" at that time felt quite sizeable in a world of 14/15 inch screens which seemed to be the standard at the home. Nice refresh rate at the largest resolution it could handle. 75Hz at 1280 x 1024 iirc?

I certainly rate the diamondscans too, better than trinitons imo. For 17", both were trumped by that Viewsonic though. I don't think the Viewsoninc was OEM either, certainly never came across that screen branded by anyone else. The specs are qute unique to it.... daum, I want one again now... no space 🙁.

Reply 37719 of 52685, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This card. Crappy seller's pic is crappy, but this should be the MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4600. It was advertised as "Old Nvidia graphics card" for local pickup only, but I offered a few Euros more and the seller agreed to ship it. Let's hope it still works...

Screenshot_20210118-203820.png
Filename
Screenshot_20210118-203820.png
File size
1.17 MiB
Views
File comment
Gf4ti4600
File license

My retro computers