Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 18440 of 52759, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

If that PSU is anything like my 370W Tagan, it will be very tightly packed and not have a lot of airflow. It's ...somewhere in the middle perhaps when it comes to build quality (partially due to the parts chosen, like certain caps)..but mine is very heavy!
Will be hard to repair due to how packed that PSU is. I got one due to the good 5v and 12v rails back when my Barton 3200+ was still the fastest thing I could lay my hands on.

My Tagan did work reliably, even though I didn't fully trust it (yes I ended up having basically zero problems with mine).

Indeed, it is heavy and a bit cramped.
But, it's got two 80mm fans (front + back) and I did cleaned the dust.
I also checked it's caps, and there are two leaking ones with another one bulged.
Still, only thing I'm not "happy" about is 3,3V rail (which is 3,5V - I checked by multimeter), other rails are fine +11,92V and +5,15V).
Here's leaked cap shot :

Caps 1 mini.jpg
Filename
Caps 1 mini.jpg
File size
875.3 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

157143230295.png

Reply 18441 of 52759, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The bulging caps may be why I couldn't get my (never finished) Sempron build stable, though I don't remember finding any actual bulging caps (those could be hard to spot due to the way that PSU is packed full).
I'd first need to learn how to solder, but that is something for the future, I'll put it on my bucket list 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 18442 of 52759, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

59_1210274178.jpg
^Same model, different owner (for a view of ammount of stuff that there is inside) 😀
My caps were easy to spot, only third one was "hidden" under [A]PFC PCB (I think).

Caps 2 mini.jpg
Filename
Caps 2 mini.jpg
File size
833.26 KiB
Views
File license

157143230295.png

Reply 18443 of 52759, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

I'd first need to learn how to solder, but that is something for the future, I'll put it on my bucket list 😁

Two rules that will make your soldering life much, much easier:

Get a quality solder station. I use this one:

http://www.tequipment.net/WellerWESD51.html?S … AiABEgJyl_D_BwE

Get a solder wick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htrcZuK_ZsY

Reply 18445 of 52759, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's a pic from today's thrift store haul.

IMG_1485.JPG
Filename
IMG_1485.JPG
File size
2.31 MiB
Views
File license

List of stuff I've bought:
- Magnavox Portable 5" Color TV
- A 2-port VGA switch box (will come in handy for a future setup)
- A Polaroid camera
- KEIO PS/2 Optical Mouse (now plugged into my main i5 rig, Works on Windows 10 after a simple registry trick.)
- 4 Music CDs (R.E.M. Green, R.E.M. Reveal, The Beatles Past Masters Pt. 2, and The Police: Every Breath You Take/The Singles) two of which are albums I have on cassette.
- Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over on DVD (already have all of the Spy Kids movies on VHS and the first two on DVD so now I have three on DVD and VHS)
- Super Mario World
- Sony Discman

Total spent (except for SMW) was $19.99, the SMW cartridge was an extra $19.99 so it was all $39.98.

There was also an ASUS motherboard with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU for $20 that I didn't get mainly because it was a Full ATX board which would've been too big for the setup I had in mind for a future project.

Does this count?

Reply 18446 of 52759, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a classic PCI Phys-X card at goodwill. Not sure where to put it though. I'm considering putting it into a dual 7950 gx2 pentium D EE setup. Not sure if it'll get used better there or in my p4 rig with the 6800.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18447 of 52759, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:

Found a classic PCI Phys-X card at goodwill. Not sure where to put it though. I'm considering putting it into a dual 7950 gx2 pentium D EE setup. Not sure if it'll get used better there or in my p4 rig with the 6800.

Most later PHYSX card supported games will bottleneck the 6800. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter comes to mind.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18448 of 52759, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

Most later PHYSX card supported games will bottleneck the 6800. Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter comes to mind.

Yeah, it seems 2006-2007 is about the time for this card. Fits perfectly with the quad SLI system I have planned. I might use it in my p4 until I have the money for the other system.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 18449 of 52759, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KCompRoom2000 wrote:
Here's a pic from today's thrift store haul. […]
Show full quote

Here's a pic from today's thrift store haul.

IMG_1485.JPG

List of stuff I've bought:
- Magnavox Portable 5" Color TV
- A 2-port VGA switch box (will come in handy for a future setup)
- A Polaroid camera
- KEIO PS/2 Optical Mouse (now plugged into my main i5 rig, Works on Windows 10 after a simple registry trick.)
- 4 Music CDs (R.E.M. Green, R.E.M. Reveal, The Beatles Past Masters Pt. 2, and The Police: Every Breath You Take/The Singles) two of which are albums I have on cassette.
- Spy Kids 3-D: Game Over on DVD (already have all of the Spy Kids movies on VHS and the first two on DVD so now I have three on DVD and VHS)
- Super Mario World
- Sony Discman

Total spent (except for SMW) was $19.99, the SMW cartridge was an extra $19.99 so it was all $39.98.

There was also an ASUS motherboard with a Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU for $20 that I didn't get mainly because it was a Full ATX board which would've been too big for the setup I had in mind for a future project.

Does this count?

I hate thrift stores that up charge vintage games. I remember when they were all 5 a piece and then people got greedy. I remember one point around 2010. 300+ N64 carts, all 3.00 a piece. It didn't matter if it was a generic sports game or Mario. Thrift stores are suppose to be a way for people to get things cheaply that they normally couldn't afford. Granted I don't mind paying a couple of extra dollars for a rare game, but not 4x the normal.

I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 18450 of 52759, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I hate thrift stores that up charge vintage games. I remember when they were all 5 a piece and then people got greedy. I remember one point around 2010. 300+ N64 carts, all 3.00 a piece. It didn't matter if it was a generic sports game or Mario. Thrift stores are suppose to be a way for people to get things cheaply that they normally couldn't afford. Granted I don't mind paying a couple of extra dollars for a rare game, but not 4x the normal.

So paying 10 for a rare game with high demand and low supply is too much (most of those game did cost 40-70 new back in the day remember?). Also you didn't bother in 2010 to buy those games when they were cheap,. And shops actually need to pay rent and other costs to operate and sometimes stuff has to be thrown away which costs money at that. Your narrow minded vision is rather bothersome since you don't seem to realise the costs of running a business, rent is a killer. (In the capital city of my province the rent for a bar on a good location is up to €20.000 A month).
Retro is hot and companies jump in to make a extra profit, is that so bad, hell you recently admitted doing the very same thing. kettle calling the pot black, which one do you like to be? 😘
if you want it cheap just buy a reproduction? Reproductions are becoming rather popular among old Nintendo games (usually it's mentioned so np)

Reply 18452 of 52759, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I do. I have a PSP that is set up to emulate just about every console up to PS1.

Reply 18454 of 52759, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I once had a Tagan PSU with an AM2 machine somewhere down the line. It died at slightly past the 2 year warranty line. I then said fuck it and went with a High Power (Sirtec) 500W Eco PSU which is basically the lowest you can go without fearing the PSU taking your PC with it. It has been completely fine for 7 years. I'm only now replacing it because it has started to become both a little loud and a little inadequate as the GPU TDP, number of Hard Drives, USB devices and PCI/PCI-Express cards in the system creeped up over time. PSUs are weird things..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18455 of 52759, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I once had a Tagan PSU with an AM2 machine somewhere down the line. It died at slightly past the 2 year warranty line. I then said fuck it and went with a High Power (Sirtec) 500W Eco PSU which is basically the lowest you can go without fearing the PSU taking your PC with it. It has been completely fine for 7 years. I'm only now replacing it because it has started to become both a little loud and a little inadequate as the GPU TDP, number of Hard Drives, USB devices and PCI/PCI-Express cards in the system creeped up over time. PSUs are weird things..

The last cheap PSU I owned tried to take my house with it. The cord literally melted and fused where it plugs into the PSU. Sharktech "650w" that was $30 on eBay. It was powering an 8800GTX, an E8400, and a couple of disks. Since then I've only used reputable power supplies like EVGA and Antec.

Reply 18456 of 52759, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Granted, Sirtech is a million times more reputable than SharkTech, but I still replaced mine with an FSP Hypet 80+ Bronze so I suppose the home is safe at the moment.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 18458 of 52759, by martin939

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xplus93 wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
xplus93 wrote:

Yeah, it seems 2006-2007 is about the time for this card. Fits perfectly with the quad SLI system I have planned. I might use it in my p4 until I have the money for the other system.

If you manage Quad SLI to work I'd really, really want to know how 😀 I have 2 7950GX2's with identical BIOS'es and the whole thing crashes when enabling quad SLI on my DFI NF4 SLI-DR Expert. Tried any driver and OS version.
I've had a Tagan 800 ZforceII and it's a pile of junk, look at the soldering quality, garbage: http://imgur.com/UsUDPxR same for the components quality.

Last edited by martin939 on 2017-08-18, 09:38. Edited 3 times in total.