Bought these (retro) hardware today

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby bjwil1991 » 2018-5-21 @ 04:48

Bought an AT 104-key Keyboard with the AT-PS/2 adapter for my retro machines (Socket 7 (AT) and 486 Packard Bell Pack-Mate 28 Plus (PS/2), so I'll be installing the adapter to hook up to the KVM switch box)
C64, WheelWriter 10 Series II QuietWriter 8, Pack-Mate 28 Plus, K6-2/300, Pavilion N3350, iMac G3 & G4, Socket 370, 2x Inspiron 600m, Athlon 64, Dimension 4550 & E510, ThinkPad R40, Presario C700, ASUS X54C, Raspberry Pi B+, 2B-3B+, Custom FX-6300
User avatar
bjwil1991
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1414
Joined: 2013-8-14 @ 03:10
Location: United States of America

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2018-5-21 @ 17:37

Grabbed a poorly listed Ensoniq S-2000.

Sure hope it is OK.... why do people use carpet to lay electronics on when taking pictures? At least it isn't shag.
s-2000.jpg


Looks like Gateway had these as an option.
s-2000-back.jpg
User avatar
cyclone3d
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1822
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby gdjacobs » 2018-5-21 @ 18:34

Pabloz wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:
I want to try a CMI8330 card (or a SoundPro rebadge) but they're sometimes hard to find.


whats so special about cmi8330? it looks like another cheap card from taiwan.


Full SPDIF output for both FM and PCM. Also, it has both SP Pro and SB16 compatibility.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 5340
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby dionb » 2018-5-21 @ 20:04

dionb wrote:Just received confirmation I can go pick up two totally unknown old boxes for free. The seller posted a stock pic of an Amiga 1000 and stated "similar, but not the same, photo from internet" but added "extremely heavy", which is hardly how I'd describe an Amiga pizza box and 12" monitor. The mind boggles at what I'm exactly going to find there. Loot box ahoy ;)

Aaand... not my lucky day...

The "similar" to an A1000 with 12" monitor turned out to be two HP S7500 CRTs - rather late low-end affairs and in a bad state. I passed on the opportunity.

Then the other loot box: a Packard Bell Platinum ATX miditower with something in it. Given the ATX backplate I thought I'd found another MSI MS-6168, as it was the only board shipped in this case with the specific connectors (onboard audio in PC99 colours and one serial port replaced by a blue VGA connector). Nope. The previous owner had actually managed to downgrade the motherboard to something close to what would have been found in a low-end Packard Bell at the time: a Gigabyte GA-6VMML (Via PLE133, no AGP and generally crappy). The low-end PB would have had GA-6WMM7 (the i810 version of the same). Oh, and the caps are all bust too. Given the low price I paid (EUR 10...) not anything to complain about, but a disappointment nonetheless.

Edit: could have known this. The case is a Hercules (1998-vintage) Platinum tower, which should have had an Intel SE440BX or MSI MS-6119 in it - neither of which had PC99 colours or integrated VGA. And of course the previous owner was a smoker - my fingers stink again :(
Last edited by dionb on 2018-5-21 @ 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
dionb
Oldbie
 
Posts: 783
Joined: 2017-12-23 @ 15:35
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Artex » 2018-5-21 @ 21:00

cyclone3d wrote:Grabbed a poorly listed Ensoniq S-2000.

Sure hope it is OK.... why do people use carpet to lay electronics on when taking pictures? At least it isn't shag.
s-2000.jpg


Looks like Gateway had these as an option.
s-2000-back.jpg


Yup - a 1Mb ROM Gateway 2000 OEM version is what you have there. The 2MB ROM versions have the larger "MX" chip (in length) and are the retail versions that also typically have the IDE interfaces.
Click [here] to see my collection of retro bliss!
Click [here] to see my "I just gotta have it"' list!
Image
User avatar
Artex
l33t
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: 2012-3-24 @ 21:34
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby cyclone3d » 2018-5-21 @ 23:25

Artex wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:Grabbed a poorly listed Ensoniq S-2000.

Sure hope it is OK.... why do people use carpet to lay electronics on when taking pictures? At least it isn't shag.
s-2000.jpg


Looks like Gateway had these as an option.
s-2000-back.jpg


Yup - a 1Mb ROM Gateway 2000 OEM version is what you have there. The 2MB ROM versions have the larger "MX" chip (in length) and are the retail versions that also typically have the IDE interfaces.


Which means I can do a direct comparison with my retail version :happy:
User avatar
cyclone3d
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1822
Joined: 2015-4-08 @ 06:06
Location: Huntsville, AL USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Artex » 2018-5-21 @ 23:53

cyclone3d wrote:
Artex wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:Grabbed a poorly listed Ensoniq S-2000.

Sure hope it is OK.... why do people use carpet to lay electronics on when taking pictures? At least it isn't shag.
s-2000.jpg


Looks like Gateway had these as an option.
s-2000-back.jpg


Yup - a 1Mb ROM Gateway 2000 OEM version is what you have there. The 2MB ROM versions have the larger "MX" chip (in length) and are the retail versions that also typically have the IDE interfaces.


Which means I can do a direct comparison with my retail version :happy:

For sure! The difference is subtle unless you have expert ears imo. The Elite is night and day compared to the plain S-2000, but primarily because of the attached DSP. If you've got one of these, then you have another for comparison! They all share the S2016 base model #.
Click [here] to see my collection of retro bliss!
Click [here] to see my "I just gotta have it"' list!
Image
User avatar
Artex
l33t
 
Posts: 2018
Joined: 2012-3-24 @ 21:34
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby xjas » 2018-5-22 @ 05:17

cyclone3d wrote:Grabbed a poorly listed Ensoniq S-2000.

Sure hope it is OK.... why do people use carpet to lay electronics on when taking pictures? At least it isn't shag.


NO KIDDING. Huuuuuuuuge freaking pet peeve. Especially when they then go and demand premium prices and say things like "I know what I have." I don't want something that's been in the place where your slough along with your yucky feet and all the mice in your house use as a toilet. Put it on a desk or a table like a civilized human being. How hard can this be?? ARGHLGRFKLGLK;KF
selected (probably) unfinished build threads { In a Lunchbox / Has It All / Hot Damn! / IT IS THE NINETIES / 20 Years of Junk }
User avatar
xjas
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1444
Joined: 2015-9-07 @ 02:29

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby CarlHopkinsUK » 2018-5-22 @ 13:35

So this happened today...
IMG_20180522_141751.jpg

IMG_20180522_141737.jpg

Found a nice NOS sealed Netgear PCI card in my stores today too :-D
Image
User avatar
CarlHopkinsUK
Newbie
 
Posts: 49
Joined: 2018-5-09 @ 22:40

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby dionb » 2018-5-22 @ 13:55

Compensated for my bad luck with old hardware this week by buying an Asus P5A system. Not picking it up till the weekend, so don't know the revision, but regardless it's a board I've wanted since these things were new (even if I now know a late rev GA-5AA is technically better). Also getting a nice ATX desktop case (1998-era AOpen by the look of it), another Diamond Speedstar A50, either an early revision SB 64 PCI or a late Ensoniq AudioPCI, a PCI modem (yay...), fast CDRom and slow CDRW, a Compaq 15" v55 CRT and a (badly yellowed) Packard Bell keyboard. Oh, and an otherwise unspecified HDD running Windows 98 - which proved that it all works, at least well enough to boot to desktop.

Apart from the motherboard not really anything special, but can't wait to see if I can get my K6-3+ running at 720MHz (and if it's a rev. 1.05 or later, then see how to hard fix the slowdown bug)
User avatar
dionb
Oldbie
 
Posts: 783
Joined: 2017-12-23 @ 15:35
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby meljor » 2018-5-22 @ 18:24

dionb wrote:Compensated for my bad luck with old hardware this week by buying an Asus P5A system. Not picking it up till the weekend, so don't know the revision, but regardless it's a board I've wanted since these things were new (even if I now know a late rev GA-5AA is technically better). Also getting a nice ATX desktop case (1998-era AOpen by the look of it), another Diamond Speedstar A50, either an early revision SB 64 PCI or a late Ensoniq AudioPCI, a PCI modem (yay...), fast CDRom and slow CDRW, a Compaq 15" v55 CRT and a (badly yellowed) Packard Bell keyboard. Oh, and an otherwise unspecified HDD running Windows 98 - which proved that it all works, at least well enough to boot to desktop.

Apart from the motherboard not really anything special, but can't wait to see if I can get my K6-3+ running at 720MHz (and if it's a rev. 1.05 or later, then see how to hard fix the slowdown bug)


I have three p5a-b boards and four p5a, all revisions. Tried two k6-3+ cpu's and two k6-2+. Getting any of these combinations with working cache above 630mhz i had zero luck. I also have the Gigabyte late revision (5.2), it is not better in any way as far as i know. Didn't even clock any higher as the Asus. It even was a fraction slower in benchmarks. The Gigabyte Ga5aa (baby at version) did a bit better but also slower as the p5a boards.

The absolute highest 3dmark scores i got from a 1.04 P5A-B

So good luck reaching 720mhz! Let me know if you got it.
asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1
meljor
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1477
Joined: 2014-4-30 @ 19:43
Location: Netherlands

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby furan » 2018-5-22 @ 19:38

Another console on a card, this time PC-FX. I have the 3DO Blaster, so now all I need is that ISA CD-I card.
I realize there are development cards for snes/psx/etc but I don't think I will come across them easily.

Image
User avatar
furan
Newbie
 
Posts: 72
Joined: 2014-9-07 @ 10:05

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby hard1k » 2018-5-22 @ 20:01

Very cool! Never knew it ever existed :)
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted at Amibay)
User avatar
hard1k
Oldbie
 
Posts: 596
Joined: 2014-4-22 @ 11:28
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby The Serpent Rider » 2018-5-22 @ 20:03

Hentai-ecchi engine card in your regular PC. Sweet.
User avatar
The Serpent Rider
Oldbie
 
Posts: 766
Joined: 2017-3-25 @ 19:07
Location: Stagnant Demesne

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby dionb » 2018-5-22 @ 22:12

dionb wrote:[...]

The previous owner had actually managed to downgrade the motherboard to something close to what would have been found in a low-end Packard Bell at the time: a Gigabyte GA-6VMML (Via PLE133, no AGP and generally crappy). The low-end PB would have had GA-6WMM7 (the i810 version of the same). Oh, and the caps are all bust too. Given the low price I paid (EUR 10...) not anything to complain about, but a disappointment nonetheless.

Turns out I was a bit too hasty and mis-identified the motherboard. It's a Gigabyte GA-6VEML. That letter difference means PLE133T and FC-PGA2, so Tualatin support. It's still crappy integrated VGA without AGP, but under the (dusty, smoky) heatsink I found a Celeron 1200, which is a nice surprise.
meljor wrote:[...]

So good luck reaching 720mhz! Let me know if you got it.

Shall do :)
User avatar
dionb
Oldbie
 
Posts: 783
Joined: 2017-12-23 @ 15:35
Location: Amsterdam

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby CkRtech » 2018-5-23 @ 09:21

furan wrote:Another console on a card, this time PC-FX. I have the 3DO Blaster, so now all I need is that ISA CD-I card.
I realize there are development cards for snes/psx/etc but I don't think I will come across them easily.

Wow. Like others - Yeah. I had no idea! Nice.
User avatar
CkRtech
Oldbie
 
Posts: 590
Joined: 2014-8-23 @ 00:54
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby liqmat » 2018-5-23 @ 13:16

furan wrote:Another console on a card, this time PC-FX. I have the 3DO Blaster, so now all I need is that ISA CD-I card.
I realize there are development cards for snes/psx/etc but I don't think I will come across them easily.

Image


Ya know, it's one thing to not know about a piece of obscure hardware like this, but another to not even know the hardware this hardware is allowing you to play on the PC. LOL Completely out of the loop on this one. Looked it up on Wikipedia to get filled in. So something like this would probably turn up on a site like Yahoo! Auctions is what I am guessing?
liqmat
Oldbie
 
Posts: 857
Joined: 2015-7-07 @ 21:59

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Turbo -> » 2018-5-23 @ 14:32

Got a few RAMs in the mail box today...
Attachments
IMG_6996.JPG
User avatar
Turbo ->
Newbie
 
Posts: 23
Joined: 2016-7-29 @ 17:14
Location: Europe

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby yawetaG » 2018-5-23 @ 14:44

liqmat wrote:
furan wrote:Another console on a card, this time PC-FX. I have the 3DO Blaster, so now all I need is that ISA CD-I card.
I realize there are development cards for snes/psx/etc but I don't think I will come across them easily.

Image


Ya know, it's one thing to not know about a piece of obscure hardware like this, but another to not even know the hardware this hardware is allowing you to play on the PC. LOL Completely out of the loop on this one. Looked it up on Wikipedia to get filled in. So something like this would probably turn up on a site like Yahoo! Auctions is what I am guessing?


Yeah, Yahoo Auctions Japan, or a Japanese Ebay seller (at a huge mark-up compared to Y! Auctions, probably).

There are three PC98 versions on Y! Auctions right now, the PC/AT version is much harder to find.
yawetaG
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1034
Joined: 2016-6-14 @ 14:36
Location: Netherlands

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Batyra » 2018-5-23 @ 15:24

Just received this beuty… quite not standard colour as for s370...
Abit CASPER 2.jpg
Abit ST6E Casper
User avatar
Batyra
Member
 
Posts: 359
Joined: 2016-7-29 @ 13:58
Location: Poland

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: blurks, canthearu, colpoz, Google [Bot], Vipersan, Zup and 8 guests