VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25180 of 52669, by SEGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MKT_Gundam wrote:
I got this "gamer" case: https://preview.ibb.co/bHPm2K/Case1.jpg https://thumb.ibb.co/h2Dh9z/case2.jpg It has a lot of rust and […]
Show full quote

I got this "gamer" case:
Case1.jpg
case2.jpg
It has a lot of rust and scratches, but for 2 dollars it was a great find.
I will use for my win 98/xp ultimate build.

Awesome! I had a similar case I bought in the late 2000s just because of the handle 😁

I recently started looking for a mid-2000s case myself. I know people think that the gamer ones from then are ugly now, but I still like the NZXT Guardian and Nemesis cases.

NintendoAge | VCFed

Reply 25181 of 52669, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some case designs turn into classics over time, but others look dated fairly quickly.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 25182 of 52669, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Lets see what have I bought this week

bought a bfg geforce 6600 gt for 34 dollars I won a sound-blaster audigy 2 zs for 16.50 and I bought a pentium 4 2.8 for only four dollers

man most stuff from the Pentium 4/athalon era is cheap !

Reply 25183 of 52669, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
elderago wrote:

Lets see what have I bought this week

bought a bfg geforce 6600 gt for 34 dollars I won a sound-blaster audigy 2 zs for 16.50 and I bought a pentium 4 2.8 for only four dollers

man most stuff from the Pentium 4/athalon era is cheap !

Pentium 4 stuff will likely never get rare where I live (it's about when the home computer revolution took place, everyone bought a P4 tower to get online in the early 2000s) but Athlons are becoming rare.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25184 of 52669, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Munx wrote:
Got myself a CRT for €5. […]
Show full quote

Got myself a CRT for €5.

P_20180916_135600.jpg
P_20180916_141506.jpg

I now consider those €5 wasted. Every time I turn it on it makes a REALLY loud buzzer sound that actually shakes my table as well as the image. The time it took to take the attached images was more than enough sphincter clenching time for me and it will go to a recycler tomorrow.

May Skeletor imprison you for 'hear'esy. 😠

The "buzzer" sound can range from barely noticeable to really loud... depending on the model/brand/components. Title for loudest degauss goes to the IIyama 510.

Reply 25186 of 52669, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not really retro, but I found a PC Engines ALIX 2D13 complete with aluminium case, 4GB CF and power supply at a garage sale for just 4€, which is really a steal.
The case did not have any labels on it but looked somewhat familiar, however when I decided to buy it I didn't know what exactly would be in it and if it would be working at all. Neither did the seller, but when I got home it turned out to be in absolutely perfect condition inside as well as outside. I put the latest OPNsense image on the CF and it runs really well. However I do not have a really use for it, so I might put it up for sale on eBay...

My retro computers

Reply 25187 of 52669, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have one of these PC Engines AMD Geode-based things as well, also complete with the case. Mine has no USB but WLAN instead. Wanted to use it as a WLAN router / access point but then learned that this would require the non-free version of DD-WRT, as the free one does not support WLAN on that device. Bummer.

Reply 25188 of 52669, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One thing that these BSD or Linux firewall/router distros seem to have in common is that while they provide industry-grade features, speed, security and stability in wired networks, they do not really shine when it comes to wireless LAN support. If you really want to use such a distro in your home network and hassle-free WiFi is important to you, your best bet is usually to go with a separate access point for WiFi connectivity and leave everything else up to the router.
For my home network a device like this is slightly overkill since my good old FritzBox does everything I need: Internet uplink, WiFi, DECT, answering machine, print server, VPN endpoint, simple NAS with FTP for sharing files with my retro boxes, and much more 😀

My retro computers

Reply 25189 of 52669, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, OpenWRT and DD-WRT do not fall into that category. DD-WRT is what actually powers many consumer routers.

I would need it for an isolated WLAN for older systems only anyway, as I have quite a few notebooks that can't do WPA/WPA2. Also, when set the WLAN to client mode, it could be used to connect a system to a WLAN that has a LAN port only, which would be very handy.

Reply 25190 of 52669, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Two items arrived today which i'm really happy about!

First off - Asus TX97-XE Rev 3.01. Really happy to have a decent ATX TX motherboard.

byt64gXl.jpg

Secondly - Diamond Monster Sound 2MB Wavetable card! Always good to pick up a wavetable card to add to my small collection.

PGi7es3l.jpg
MEwi97wl.jpg

Reply 25191 of 52669, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:
Munx wrote:

Got myself a CRT for €5.

P_20180916_141506.jpg

Slightly off tangent, but - what game is it?

Doom 2016

Also if anyome is still wondering on the fate of this monitor - it's back on my desk. I've looked a few things up and it seems that it is indeed a degauss and such a loud one is not that uncommon, especially with the Sony trinitrons that this thing has.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 25192 of 52669, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Received it half an hour ago! Really nice shape… wow that is literally Heavy Metal!
Strange that it came with two 550 PIII cpu's - I thought theese should be higher clocked…

Ladies and Gentlemen I present you Quantum 3D Heavy Metal Mercury GX+
Quad Voodoo 2 monster

Mercury_1.jpg
Filename
Mercury_1.jpg
File size
261.89 KiB
Views
File comment
Quantum 3D Heavy Metal Mercury GX+
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Mercury_2.jpg
Filename
Mercury_2.jpg
File size
260.96 KiB
Views
File comment
Beast inside...
File license
Mercury_3.jpg
Filename
Mercury_3.jpg
File size
311.8 KiB
Views
File comment
And the famous "brick"
File license

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 25195 of 52669, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice one Batyra !
I was always curious, can these systems be used to play a normal glide game?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25196 of 52669, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

have not run it yet… Yes memories are @125 so the fastest I have seen on Voodoo 2.
@keropi - yes you can play "normal" games but... only as SLI - the rest 6voodoos are for antialiasing.
This machine was build for flight simulators.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 25197 of 52669, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Haha, this got me thinking: the RGB craze of the 2010s will look just as absurd as these in another decade.

I can't wait until this retarded RGB everything is over, haha.
*/me posts picture of new tasteful build on facebook*
*12 year olds: OMG LIEK YOU HAVE NO RGB POWER SUPPLY AND MOTHERBOARD AND FANS, DISLIKE STUPID COMPUTER BUILD, IT SUCKS"
🤣 🤣 🤣

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 25199 of 52669, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
oeuvre wrote:

Do people really need RGB RAM?

Do people really need RGB *anything*?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.