VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 22561 of 52357, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well maybe I'm not using the proper word, basically it's the city organizing an evenment where streets are closed and hundreds of people can come to sell their crap there.
Nothing's advertised except the location and the estimation of people that will come to sell, the rest is pure random

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 22562 of 52357, by SEGamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Formulator wrote:

Nice case, found a similar one at a thrift store once too.

Thanks! Yours looks to be in a lot better shape than mine. I just finished restoring the inner case as there was a lot of rust on the front corners.

dionb wrote:

For that price the case alone is more than worth it, regardless of what's in it and whatever does or doesn't work. I'm finding AT cases a bigger challenge than pretty much anything to go in them or peripherals (CRTs and serial mice are everywhere, by comparision).

Yep, exactly why I bought it. I figured I could use it for my 586 build since it's on a test chassis right now, but there's a nice late socket 7 mobo in there that I managed to get working.

appiah4 wrote:

Go into the BIOS and try to see if HDD detection also locks up. That sounds like a case of motherboard not playing well with large HDD.

Thanks for the tip, it led me down the rabbit hole of BIOS settings to get it working now. The dead CMOS battery was causing the settings to reset to some configuration it didn't like.

On topic, got this Reveal SC400 Rev 2 brand new, already tested and works great. Came with the cheapest headphones I've ever seen.

100_4410.JPG
Filename
100_4410.JPG
File size
816.52 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Also this Aztech sound/modem card. Supposedly this model has an onboard wavetable.

100_4412.JPG
Filename
100_4412.JPG
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File license

And last is this Creative gamepad to try out.

100_4413.JPG
Filename
100_4413.JPG
File size
746.87 KiB
Views
File license

NintendoAge | VCFed

Reply 22563 of 52357, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:
Good to see that a Vogons member got that one. It was a good deal at the price you got it. :) […]
Show full quote
Vegge wrote:

Not just from today, but the latest finds 😀

Evergreen AMD 5x86 133Mhz 😀

😀

Good to see that a Vogons member got that one. It was a good deal at the price you got it. 😀

I was the other bidder, I already have a couple though so I'm not the least sad. I find them much better value for money than the Intel DX4 Overdrives selling for at least as much.

I think that's a late one so it will probably work just fine without a fan but I would add a small one anyhow.

The second "green" motherboard with OPTi 493 chipset seems to lack a BIOS chiip.

Here is the MR BIOS for OPTi 493

OPTI 493 i486MRBS.zip

It seems to be a nice board with double the normal amount of cache sockets for cache interleaving, well worth saving.

It replaced a overdrive 100, a little bit faster on that computer. 😀 The plan is a intakefan just there in front of it.

Thanks, but i have the bioschip, just took it out in preparation for cleaning 😀 Hope the board works.

Deksor wrote:
Really nice ! A ThinkPad 380XD ! I've bought the same very recently :D […]
Show full quote

Really nice ! A ThinkPad 380XD ! I've bought the same very recently 😁

Just be aware that the drivers given by lenovo for the cardbus slots are WRONG. Use these instead

pcmcia.zip

Also, the audio drivers for the crystal chip aren't the latest on lenovo's website and they work terribly. The latest ones aren't really good, but they are already much better. (if you find a better driver, please tell me which you found ^^)

Thanks! Might come in handy. It’s running ME now, not sure what to think about that 🤣

Last edited by Vegge on 2018-03-21, 21:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22564 of 52357, by Vegge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked this up today 😀

6CA0338F-5858-4A04-9E5C-DE4D806D8FF2.jpeg
Filename
File size
1.94 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 22565 of 52357, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Awesome unit, man. Won an nVidia GeForce2 MX400 clone card on eBay for $8.15 shipped (only bidder)!

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22566 of 52357, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

Well maybe I'm not using the proper word, basically it's the city organizing an evenment where streets are closed and hundreds of people can come to sell their crap there.
Nothing's advertised except the location and the estimation of people that will come to sell, the rest is pure random

Ah, that's more of a flea market. These are the thing in Germany, I have been to one or two. You can find all sorts of cool and weird stuff there.

Reply 22567 of 52357, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I go to 1 or 2 each week-end during spring/summer/autumn ^^
These are the thing in france as well. You may have heared about the biggest one in Lille in september (though due to terrorism, it's not as good as it used to be). Like I said, it's pure randomness. You can either find nothing or find so much stuff you don't have enough room for it.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 22568 of 52357, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got my first MT-32 today that came with a power supply. There is faint smell of tobacco on it. Since this is the first one I have ever had, Is there anything I should check out before connecting the power supply and trying to turn it on?

20180322_113806_001.jpg
Filename
20180322_113806_001.jpg
File size
925.92 KiB
Views
File license
20180322_113439.jpg
Filename
20180322_113439.jpg
File size
793.42 KiB
Views
File license
20180322_113348.jpg
Filename
20180322_113348.jpg
File size
838.97 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 22569 of 52357, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Check the capacitors, resistors, potentiometers, logic boards, and the IC chips, such as the CPU for leakage, cold/cracked solder joints, oxidation, and broken traces. Got one myself (my dad bought it brand new in 1987) and it's still functioning.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22570 of 52357, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Vegge wrote:

Picked this up today 😀

Someone should make a dongle for one of these external Yamaha units that translates between the unit's instructions and OPL2-ese. I've always found the OPL2 and OPL3's sound weak and thin, and this one is very rich by comparison. I like it.

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 22571 of 52357, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I did take a jump and bought defective Siemens-Nixdorf PCD-4ND. It's a very well done machine (GERMAN ENGINEERING, JA!) and fairly well preserved, the only flaw being the LCD display:

both.jpg
Filename
both.jpg
File size
89.8 KiB
Views
File license

The only thing that bugs me is that despite having 486DX4@100MHz processor, there isn't any radiator on it. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

20180322_192705.jpg
Filename
20180322_192705.jpg
File size
413.11 KiB
Views
File license

Also, I thought that it would be a completely silent machine, given that most 486 processor had passive cooling. It is unexpectedly loud, though. There is something making a whirring noise inside. Sounds like a ventilator, but I can't see any! Perhaps under this mini-LCD panel on the left? But what for, especially if there is no air duct nor an opening in the chassis?

Mysteries of the old hardware...

Reply 22572 of 52357, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure it isn't the hard drive making noise (bearings going out) ?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22574 of 52357, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

what is the current resolution and refresh rate on that LCD display? Also - How do you control output to VGA? Does it have a Fn key that lets you cycle LCD, LCD+Monitor, Monitor?

Also - Are you running in 16 colors? Make sure device manager is happy.

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 22575 of 52357, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That LCD screen doesn't seem to be really broken, normally broken LCD displays don't duplicate the picture like this, maybe this is some driver issue ?

Reply 22576 of 52357, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CkRtech wrote:

what is the current resolution and refresh rate on that LCD display? Also - How do you control output to VGA? Does it have a Fn key that lets you cycle LCD, LCD+Monitor, Monitor?

Also - Are you running in 16 colors? Make sure device manager is happy.

Resolution and refresh - don't know, will check.

Control output - yes, FN key cycling LCD, LCD+Monitor, Monitor. But it is software & OS independent - works on start-up screen too.

The LCD problem is hardware-related, nothing to do with software and device manager.

Deksor wrote:

That LCD screen doesn't seem to be really broken, normally broken LCD displays don't duplicate the picture like this, maybe this is some driver issue ?

I suspect video signal cable, notLCD itself. But I don't know yet. It is not because of drivers - monitor shows like this in boot screens too.

Reply 22577 of 52357, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldCat wrote:
20180322_192705.jpg

Also, I thought that it would be a completely silent machine, given that most 486 processor had passive cooling. It is unexpectedly loud, though. There is something making a whirring noise inside. Sounds like a ventilator, but I can't see any! Perhaps under this mini-LCD panel on the left? But what for, especially if there is no air duct nor an opening in the chassis?

That raised center compartment with the ribbon cable taped to it likely hides an ancient HDD.

Reply 22578 of 52357, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, as I said in my PM, the HDD is the likely culprit.

No disk drive then? If you do have it and need a new belt, they can be found on German eBay. I replaced the belt on mine, but it's still not 100% reliable. Some disks (?) make the drive just spin the disk (you can hear the belt kind squeaking in there) without the head or motor doing anything.

Anyway, kudos on the laptop!

Reply 22579 of 52357, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OldCat wrote:

The only thing that bugs me is that despite having 486DX4@100MHz processor, there isn't any radiator on it.

That's fine. Those later embedded versions of the DX4 don't require any cooling.