20190519_175114.jpg
Filename
20190519_175114.jpg
File size
655.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

the very common audigy 2 player for my athlon xp rig, i did not find a platinum.

20190519_175255.jpg
Filename
20190519_175255.jpg
File size
1.03 MiB
Views
File license

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 28741 of 52728, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote:

Picked up a Terratec DMX 6Fire w/ front panel today for $28.

The same seller also has a Terratec EWS 88MT for $29 if any of you are looking. Ebay seller is: altairman007

He's got a pretty low number of sold/purchased items, but so far there's been good communication, and he tells me that he's selling off some of his studio equipment.

I built my Terratec Audio studio PC awhile back. That EWS-88MT is missing the rear connector on the bay drive.
But I made a diagram on the pin-outs if anyone is interested.
Terratec EWS-88MT adapter mod advice ?
These Terratec sound cards and drives and terratec apps work good in Windows-XP too but not officially supported.
Just use backward compatibility in WinXP for apps.

Attachments

• IMG_0117.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0117.JPG
    File size
    978.37 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 28742 of 52728, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SpectriaForce wrote:

Very nice. These cards have the potential to substantially increase in value.

SpectriaForce wrote:

Awesome. You can easily triple your investment if you want to sell it with a little bit of work.

From time to time this hobby seems more like a stockexchange 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28743 of 52728, by deleted_nk

User metadata

Went op-shopping (thrifting) and managed to find two pairs of 10 5.25 double density floppies for 2 bucks each. Normally I don't bother with them, but these were sealed and looked unopened. And being 360K disks, that was an extra bonus. Thank you very much, I'll be taking these. 😈
20CAZxvl.jpg
67m6m0ol.jpg
100% error free certified! Apparently 😜
Now that's something I haven't seen for a while. I guess we'll see if their claim holds up after 35 years in the shrinkwrap.

Being double density, these should work fine on my C64 as well as my 486, should the need arise to use them on the latter. Unfortunately my 5.25 drive in the 486 isn't exactly in the best of working order (needs a good disassembly and cleaning as well as lubrication), so I might keep a disk aside to test with later on. But at least I'll have something to make C64 disk images on.
kos1EEyl.jpg

Reply 28744 of 52728, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ninkeo wrote:
Went op-shopping (thrifting) and managed to find two pairs of 10 5.25 double density floppies for 2 bucks each. Normally I don't […]
Show full quote

Went op-shopping (thrifting) and managed to find two pairs of 10 5.25 double density floppies for 2 bucks each. Normally I don't bother with them, but these were sealed and looked unopened. And being 360K disks, that was an extra bonus. Thank you very much, I'll be taking these. 😈
20CAZxvl.jpg
67m6m0ol.jpg
100% error free certified! Apparently 😜
Now that's something I haven't seen for a while. I guess we'll see if their claim holds up after 35 years in the shrinkwrap.

Being double density, these should work fine on my C64 as well as my 486, should the need arise to use them on the latter. Unfortunately my 5.25 drive in the 486 isn't exactly in the best of working order (needs a good disassembly and cleaning as well as lubrication), so I might keep a disk aside to test with later on. But at least I'll have something to make C64 disk images on.
kos1EEyl.jpg

Nice find - preferably, you should write to and format these disks in a 360 KB drive and not a 1.2 MB drive.

Reply 28745 of 52728, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not too much lately because I am moving to a house next month.
Only some 'recent' HW: XPS M1330 (now I have the 3),a boxed 4870x2 and an Alienware Aurora ALX.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 28746 of 52728, by arncht

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the p120 and the 16m edo in the right place (intel advanced/zp, socket5, 430fx triton)

Attachments

• 20190520_111650_.jpg
    Filename
    20190520_111650_.jpg
    File size
    596.65 KiB
    Views
    File license

My little retro computer world
Overdoze of the demoscene

Reply 28747 of 52728, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
arncht wrote:

Speed, compared to the triton?

Must be slower than Triton. I will compare the VLB graphics performance to OPTi Python.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 28748 of 52728, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got my Rage Fury MAXX in the mail but it was so fucking TERRIBLY packaged that one of the heatsinks got knocked off..

It was originally glued on with (apparently) thermal epoxy, how do I glue this back on? Doublesided thermal tape? I'm not keen on scraping the residue off the chip..

Attachments

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 28749 of 52728, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want the heatsink to be in proper contact with the chip you'll have to scrape the leftover epoxy, no way around it. Depending on how well it's bonded it might actually come of the chip easier than the metal part. And if you don't much care for the chip markings then sandpaper is going to make short work of it anyway.
After that it's either glue or strips of doublesided tape - take your pick. Both work equally well and are a pain to undo (well that's the point that it holds the heatsink well). I think tape is easier to work with though.

Reply 28750 of 52728, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:

I got my Rage Fury MAXX in the mail but it was so fucking TERRIBLY packaged that one of the heatsinks got knocked off..

does it even work anymore? this magnitude of force is more than enough to crack some balls under the chip

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 28751 of 52728, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

does it even work anymore? this magnitude of force is more than enough to crack some balls under the chip

I haven't tested it yet.. My hope is that 20 years made the epoxy brittle enough that it broke off without requiring too much force. I will restore it to at least cosmetically fine state, then try it. If it works, great. If not: 🙁

I sincerely hope none of the ball joints are cracked.. Worst case, I will give it a bake in the oven?

Reply 28752 of 52728, by ph4nt0m

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:

It was originally glued on with (apparently) thermal epoxy, how do I glue this back on? Doublesided thermal tape? I'm not keen on scraping the residue off the chip..

This thermal glue can be dissolved by acetone or kerosene. The white paint isn't sensitive to these.

My Active Sales on CPU-World

Reply 28753 of 52728, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A sharp modeling knife and much patience later:

Attachments

Reply 28754 of 52728, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And voila, one ATI Rage Fury MAXX restored.. But does it work? We'll find out soon enough.

ATI-Rage-Fury-MAXX-64-MB.jpg

Reply 28756 of 52728, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The amount of *rage* that this card will bring you if broken will go way off the charts (... Get it?)

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 28757 of 52728, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maxximum Rage.. (No I haven't tried it yet, don't have a build with an AGP slot around and won't have one for a few weeks..)

Reply 28758 of 52728, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

Maxximum Rage.. (No I haven't tried it yet, don't have a build with an AGP slot around and won't have one for a few weeks..)

Ooh, good luck - I was going to add that there is superglue / epoxy debonder that disolves the glue, but maybe that's just kerosene? I have a 20 year old bottle of it that was used to clear the epoxy off of my ATi Radeon DDR 64MB. I have a recollection of clearing off that white thermal glue with that stuff, and about the same way you did overall.

Intel486dx33 wrote:
I built my Terratec Audio studio PC awhile back. That EWS-88MT is missing the rear connector on the bay drive. But I made a diag […]
Show full quote
wiretap wrote:

The same seller also has a Terratec EWS 88MT for $29 if any of you are looking. Ebay seller is: altairman007
He's got a pretty low number of sold/purchased items, but so far there's been good communication, and he tells me that he's selling off some of his studio equipment.

I built my Terratec Audio studio PC awhile back. That EWS-88MT is missing the rear connector on the bay drive.
These Terratec sound cards and drives and terratec apps work good in Windows-XP too but not officially supported.

That case setup looks amazing 😀 I really like the choice of DVD drive as well, I was tempted to pick one of those up when I first saw it, very fitting for that case design. Do each of those cards work together without fighting for resources?

----

Today, I received a completely broken motherboard! The one motherboard I've been seeking out for a few months because I have a special adapter, for this very specific motherboard. That the seller chose to package in just bubblewrap, going across the oceans, hundreds of miles, just arrive looking like this. Doesn't work at all...

20190520_225924.jpg
Filename
20190520_225924.jpg
File size
833.5 KiB
Views
File license
20190520_225916.jpg
Filename
20190520_225916.jpg
File size
654.94 KiB
Views
File license

edit: somehow within 5 minutes of contacting the seller about this, I found the same motherboard, weird that I couldn't find it before? (though this one is more expensive, but down the rabbit hole I go)

Reply 28759 of 52728, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote:
Ooh, good luck - I was going to add that there is superglue / epoxy debonder that disolves the glue, but maybe that's just keros […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote:

Ooh, good luck - I was going to add that there is superglue / epoxy debonder that disolves the glue, but maybe that's just kerosene? I have a 20 year old bottle of it that was used to clear the epoxy off of my ATi Radeon DDR 64MB. I have a recollection of clearing off that white thermal glue with that stuff, and about the same way you did overall.

Intel486dx33 wrote:
I built my Terratec Audio studio PC awhile back. That EWS-88MT is missing the rear connector on the bay drive. But I made a diag […]
Show full quote
wiretap wrote:

That case setup looks amazing 😀 I really like the choice of DVD drive as well, I was tempted to pick one of those up when I first saw it, very fitting for that case design. Do each of those cards work together without fighting for resources?

----

Today, I received a completely broken motherboard! The one motherboard I've been seeking out for a few months because I have a special adapter, for this very specific motherboard. That the seller chose to package in just bubblewrap, going across the oceans, hundreds of miles, just arrive looking like this. Doesn't work at all...

20190520_225924.jpg
20190520_225916.jpg

edit: somehow within 5 minutes of contacting the seller about this, I found the same motherboard, weird that I couldn't find it before? (though this one is more expensive, but down the rabbit hole I go)

I had the same issue with a Intel Advanced/ATX (Thor) 430FX board, the seller only shipped it in a thin layer of bubblewrap and it was dead as a doornail, no posts, nothing. got a refund for shipping damage. I later got another one which works fine, even was packaged much better, with more layers of bubblewrap and some newspaper outside of it, even has a MR BIOS installed on it.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS