VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19181 of 52692, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its open to interpretation but for me, the main criteria for a SS7 system is 100mhz FSB and voltages to support K6-2/3 chips, Their is no real benefit in having an AGP on a SS7 system.

Reply 19182 of 52692, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

Wouldn't it be just a Socket 7 instead of a SS7 without AGP?

Socket 7 only supported up to 233 MHz (or 266 MHz embedded). Anything over that is Super Socket 7. Regardless of slot support.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19184 of 52692, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
probnot wrote:

Also, I found a SS7 system for sale, just picked it up. It's in really clean shape...well taken care of.]

Wonder why he has the second CD drive as Q: 🤣

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA

Reply 19185 of 52692, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cj_reha wrote:

Wonder why he has the second CD drive as Q: 🤣

Probably because he's a Trekkie 😀

Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19187 of 52692, by Pabloz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bancho wrote:
Artex wrote:

Here! I am going to pick up two more shelving units for all of my retro PCs still in storage. I still put all the out-of-box cards in tubs/boxes so that stuff won't be on display.

Let me be the first to say, this is truly magical!

hey artex
its so nice to see those boxes again. its incredible the mint condition.

I have been looking for a front scan of voodoo boxes everywhere and i can only find low resolution low quality crap images from the year 2000,
If you can scan the box front in HQ that would be awesome to have to make wallpapers or even posters for the wall.

Reply 19188 of 52692, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

Wouldn't it be just a Socket 7 instead of a SS7 without AGP?

SiS530 is generally considered a SS7 chipset. Although it doesn't have a external AGP port, the integrated graphics is connected through AGP bus.

Reply 19189 of 52692, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pabloz wrote:
bought a $15 dollar lot full of cards there were also many modem and network cards too, but […]
Show full quote

bought a $15 dollar lot full of cards
there were also many modem and network cards too, but

no clue of they all work or not yet
these are the most important ones:

lot2.jpg

Is the one at the bottom a frame buffer for SUN workstations? Did you get it work for PCs?

Reply 19190 of 52692, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
debs3759 wrote:

Socket 7 only supported up to 233 MHz (or 266 MHz embedded). Anything over that is Super Socket 7. Regardless of slot support.

You can get K6-2 running at 66*6=400MHz on a lot of socket 7 boards that supply the required voltage. Some may need BIOS patch.

Reply 19191 of 52692, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SS7 = 100 FSB support, doesn't have to be AGP, but usually it is implied. Unfortunately, because AMD/Cyrix was considered budget, lots of OEM's just cut corners whenever possible.

Possible to run higher K6/2 to 300-400 MHz with 66 FSB, but realistically, your performance is going to suck. Some companies made adapters for older 66 FSB S7 systems that allowed this.

Reply 19192 of 52692, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:

SS7 = 100 FSB support, doesn't have to be AGP, but usually it is implied. Unfortunately, because AMD/Cyrix was considered budget, lots of OEM's just cut corners whenever possible.

Possible to run higher K6/2 to 300-400 MHz with 66 FSB, but realistically, your performance is going to suck. Some companies made adapters for older 66 FSB S7 systems that allowed this.

This definitely seems like a budget board. Luckily it has a jumper to fully disable the onboard sis 530 graphics (put in a 4mb rage II+) Also disabled the onboard sound and threw in a SB 128, and added another 64mb of pc100. I wanted to find a pentium mmx socket 7 to run Win95, but I think I'll use this system instead.

Reply 19193 of 52692, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I wasted £20! I saw an advert for a Tiny - branded PC P3 Slot 1 PC which always gets me interested (although without PSU or a side panel) and when I picked it up it and got it home it looked like this:

Dirty and yellowed, but to be expected perhaps...
6dLM51Ol.jpg

Ok, maybe not with leaves in it...
BLeS81tl.jpg
BPM7Jcgl.jpg

Oh god, what have I bought...
i1j0JKwl.jpg
SEb2slDl.jpg
95Xl2HXl.jpg

I had noticed it didn't have the RAM it was advertised with. The CPU was handed over separately, and looked like this (the fan was completely solid with dust. None in the heatsink really though!):
5EYB0IZl.jpg

But what's that I spy lodged between the other side panel and the case chassis? That must be the RAM that it comes with, why didn't I think to look there?!
sOGGYoql.jpg

I gave it all a clean up. Despite its state (and those caps), it actually booted up! Although what I thought was an AGP slot at a quick glance is actually two modem-y slots (I believe), eh 🙁
wfDZrpyl.jpg
zTNxoHHl.jpg
ZkceXrql.jpg

So what did I actually get (which i useful)for £20:

SECC2 clips
P3 450MHz
2X 256MB SDR RAM 133MHz (quite useful actually)
A couple of IDE CD/DVD drives might be useful if the W98 setup software recognise them (only one of my four or so is actually recognised by the default driver)

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 19194 of 52692, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Almoststew1990 wrote:
Today I wasted £20! I saw an advert for a Tiny - branded PC P3 Slot 1 PC which always gets me interested (although without PSU o […]
Show full quote

Today I wasted £20! I saw an advert for a Tiny - branded PC P3 Slot 1 PC which always gets me interested (although without PSU or a side panel) and when I picked it up it and got it home it looked like this:

Dirty and yellowed, but to be expected perhaps...

Ok, maybe not with leaves in it...

Oh god, what have I bought...

Where did you get this thing? A garden center? 🤣

Reply 19195 of 52692, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Almoststew1990 wrote:

Today I wasted £20! I saw an advert for a Tiny - branded PC P3 Slot 1 PC which always gets me interested (although without PSU or a side panel) and when I picked it up it and got it home it looked like this:\

*scrolls through pictures*

That should clean up fine, I've seen ones this dirty...

Almoststew1990 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/i1j0JKwl.jpg […]
Show full quote

i1j0JKwl.jpg

Oh...nevermind...Yeaaah, that's a double whammy there.

Reply 19196 of 52692, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:

Where did you get this thing? A garden center? 🤣

No, the wrong side of town! I should have walked away but I was frustrated with my various PCs which weren't really working.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 19197 of 52692, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently bought a Cyrix Cx487S-40QP. Installed it in the motherboard along with an 486SX but the motherboard still shows no co-processor installed. Anybody got an idea if you have to enable it somehow or how to get this thing to work ?

Reply 19198 of 52692, by psychz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Looks like it was a console week over here 😮 After a second Dreamcast, I got my first PlayStation... Only 23 years late to the party 😢 For 9€, a SCPH-1002 (first PAL release/the "audiophile edition"), two basic controllers (SCPH-1080, no dualshocks 🙁 ), its AC cord, its original A/V cable and a boxed 3rd party PSX<->SCART cable. Fully working, fully silent. Guess it's time to pack away the PS2 and play those old games (*coughcough*Ridge Racer*coughcough*) on the console they were made for. Oh, it is already chipped too!

Attachments

• WP_20170924_007.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20170924_007.jpg
    File size
    167.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • WP_20170924_005.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20170924_005.jpg
    File size
    117.82 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    soem moar ports
    File license
  • WP_20170924_002.jpg
    Filename
    WP_20170924_002.jpg
    File size
    271.35 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    eeeek; the 4wire modchip
    File license
Stojke wrote:

Its not like components found in trash after 20 years in rain dont still work flawlessly.

:: chemical reaction :: athens in love || reality is absent || spectrality || meteoron || the lie you believe

Reply 19199 of 52692, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eleanor1967 wrote:

I recently bought a Cyrix Cx487S-40QP. Installed it in the motherboard along with an 486SX but the motherboard still shows no co-processor installed. Anybody got an idea if you have to enable it somehow or how to get this thing to work ?

FPUs are automatically enabled. You may have a dead chip (is that on an adapter that plugs between the socket and CPU?). Otherwise, maybe your motherboard BIOS doesn't recognise it, although I think that unlikely.