VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 19200 of 52699, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote:

FPUs are automatically enabled. You may have a dead chip (is that on an adapter that plugs between the socket and CPU?). Otherwise, maybe your motherboard BIOS doesn't recognise it, although I think that unlikely.

Yes it is on a adapter which plugs betwenn the CPU and socket. Looks like a sandwich out of pcbs and ics with my pcb mounted 486sx cpu 😁

Well maybe its dead. People here also talk about having on of those adapters and they also do not get detected so I thought maybe there is some reason behind it

Reply 19201 of 52699, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eleanor1967 wrote:

Well maybe its dead. People here also talk about having on of those adapters and they also do not get detected so I thought maybe there is some reason behind it

yes, dead people are easier to detect, dead cpus are harder to detect ;p
you did check bios?

Reply 19202 of 52699, by dexvx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Voodoo 3 2000 AGP with box, insert, and CD. Box condition is great.

V7NDHS2.jpg

Got this Gigabyte GA-5AX with unknown CPU in dusty condition. For some reason there was an Aopen AX53 manual along with it. Cleaned it up and found it was a K6/2 300, so nothing really special.

Before
4iBbMl6.jpg

After
I0NO7U0.jpg

Reply 19203 of 52699, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Aztech Sound Galaxy collection is growing.. at least the cards I am interested in for now.

Just picked up a Sound Galaxy BX II. Pretty rare to see them for sale. I was looking at pictures and from what I can find, there were at least 3 revisions of the card. The earlier one using the standard OPL2 chip and the newer ones using the low power OPL2 chip.

It is basically a Sound Blaster 2.0 card.

Seller's pic:

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
324.26 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 19204 of 52699, by tikoellner

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
My Aztech Sound Galaxy collection is growing.. at least the cards I am interested in for now. […]
Show full quote

My Aztech Sound Galaxy collection is growing.. at least the cards I am interested in for now.

Just picked up a Sound Galaxy BX II. Pretty rare to see them for sale. I was looking at pictures and from what I can find, there were at least 3 revisions of the card. The earlier one using the standard OPL2 chip and the newer ones using the low power OPL2 chip.

Seller's pic:

s-l1600.jpg

Nice. I really much like those older Aztech sound cards. I also have some branded as "CPS Hamburg" (Aztech Sound Galaxy NX II). While some of them are Sound Blaster clones and they are generally not considered "iconic" as early cards from SB line, their output quality seems actually better, much less noisy.

Reply 19205 of 52699, by Nvm1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
debs3759 wrote:
Eleanor1967 wrote:

I recently bought a Cyrix Cx487S-40QP. Installed it in the motherboard along with an 486SX but the motherboard still shows no co-processor installed. Anybody got an idea if you have to enable it somehow or how to get this thing to work ?

FPUs are automatically enabled. You may have a dead chip (is that on an adapter that plugs between the socket and CPU?). Otherwise, maybe your motherboard BIOS doesn't recognise it, although I think that unlikely.

As far as I know those only work with the Cyrix Cx486S fastmath cpu's. I have on of those combinations and it never worked with another 486.

Reply 19206 of 52699, by Stermy57

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
probnot wrote:
*scrolls through pictures* […]
Show full quote
Almoststew1990 wrote:

Today I wasted £20! I saw an advert for a Tiny - branded PC P3 Slot 1 PC which always gets me interested (although without PSU or a side panel) and when I picked it up it and got it home it looked like this:\

*scrolls through pictures*

That should clean up fine, I've seen ones this dirty...

Almoststew1990 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/i1j0JKwl.jpg […]
Show full quote

i1j0JKwl.jpg

Oh...nevermind...Yeaaah, that's a double whammy there.

Chsi Caps... Really bad caps!
This is my story:
Some weeks ago i bought an MSI K7 Pro@MS-6195, it was new, never opened!
I was excited because it was my first Slot A Mainboard for only 15€ shipped.
The box was in very good condition, wonderful bundle, never used... All was like expected from a new mainboard but the board had bulged caps!
My face was something like this 😮
So this Mainboard was stored for 17 years into the original box but its horrible caps go to crap's cemetery without a single bootup 😜
Never seen something like this 😁 fortunately i have good soldering skills so it wasn't a big problem 😀
In my experience old MSI and Gigabyte Mainboards but even some ABIT and Epox use bad caps like Choyo, Chsi, G-Luxon, Hemei, Su'Scon etc in my opinion is better to know before buying

Reply 19207 of 52699, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:
My Aztech Sound Galaxy collection is growing.. at least the cards I am interested in for now. […]
Show full quote

Seller's pic:

s-l1600.jpg

Nice sound card. I have a Sound Galaxy NX Pro that is SB Pro, Covox Sound Things, Disney Sound Source, and has a genuine OPL3 YMF262-M chip. The Line-In port needs to get re-soldered since it stops working when I wiggle the cable and it's loose. Other than that, the card does work surprisingly very well.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 19208 of 52699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stermy57 wrote:
Chsi Caps... Really bad caps! This is my story: Some weeks ago i bought an MSI K7 Pro@MS-6195, it was new, never opened! I was […]
Show full quote
probnot wrote:
*scrolls through pictures* […]
Show full quote
Almoststew1990 wrote:

Today I wasted £20! I saw an advert for a Tiny - branded PC P3 Slot 1 PC which always gets me interested (although without PSU or a side panel) and when I picked it up it and got it home it looked like this:\

*scrolls through pictures*

That should clean up fine, I've seen ones this dirty...

Almoststew1990 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/i1j0JKwl.jpg […]
Show full quote

i1j0JKwl.jpg

Oh...nevermind...Yeaaah, that's a double whammy there.

Chsi Caps... Really bad caps!
This is my story:
Some weeks ago i bought an MSI K7 Pro@MS-6195, it was new, never opened!
I was excited because it was my first Slot A Mainboard for only 15€ shipped.
The box was in very good condition, wonderful bundle, never used... All was like expected from a new mainboard but the board had bulged caps!
My face was something like this 😮
So this Mainboard was stored for 17 years into the original box but its horrible caps go to crap's cemetery without a single bootup 😜
Never seen something like this 😁 fortunately i have good soldering skills so it wasn't a big problem 😀
In my experience old MSI and Gigabyte Mainboards but even some ABIT and Epox use bad caps like Choyo, Chsi, G-Luxon, Hemei, Su'Scon etc in my opinion is better to know before buying

Correct me if wromg but actually not being used at all is worse for the caps than some use?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19209 of 52699, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Energized with only leakage current is best. However, Chhsi along with Fuhjyyu are true D-list crap. Real caps won't fail in the box.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 19210 of 52699, by anachronism1887

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A Comtex TurboXT off of Craigslist recently.

P_20170925_093133_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Filename
P_20170925_093133_vHDR_Auto.jpg
File size
3.23 MiB
Views
File license
P_20170925_085215_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Filename
P_20170925_085215_vHDR_Auto.jpg
File size
121.68 KiB
Views
File license

Besides being dusty, the system powered on just fine. Installed was MS-DOS 3.3, a Siemens 8088 CPU, no 8087 co-processor, standard amounts of RAM but there are open sockets that I could populate if I wanted to. Installed cards were a GW202 Baby I/O controller that only supports low density disks, a MDA adapter, and a hard disk controller. Other hardware was a Seagate ST-225 that seems to work just fine and a 360KB floppy drive that died out almost immediately. I've added TEAC 360KB and 720KB drives and a Microsoft InPort Bus Mouse controller if I ever want to use a mouse. I am probably going to swap the current I/O controller with something that can handle high density disks but I haven't decided that yet.

Unfortunately, the Hyundai monitor has some pretty bad burn in but I can live with it.

P_20170925_091200_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Filename
P_20170925_091200_vHDR_Auto.jpg
File size
67.92 KiB
Views
File license

The keyboard has white Alps switches and still needs a more thorough cleaning since there were tabs of tape on the keys with Chinese characters on it. The adhesive was really broken down and some ink has transferred to the key caps.

P_20170925_095440_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Filename
P_20170925_095440_vHDR_Auto.jpg
File size
82.42 KiB
Views
File license
P_20170925_091229_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Filename
P_20170925_091229_vHDR_Auto.jpg
File size
85.22 KiB
Views
File license

I also had to re-pin the reset and turbo buttons since they would not make proper contact with the motherboard headers and would just wobble around. Next I will need to clean out the drive but there really isn't much on it beside WordPerfect 5, an old version of The Print Shop and a Chinese Word Processor. I don't see any personal data so at least the previous owner scrubbed that.

Reply 19211 of 52699, by lazibayer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought 4 RAMBUS sticks and they arrived exactly as pictured below:

WechatIMG61.jpeg
Filename
WechatIMG61.jpeg
File size
64.29 KiB
Views
File license

Just four bare sticks and two deflated airbags in a box. I will test them tonight.

Reply 19212 of 52699, by Batyra

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dexvx wrote:

Got this Gigabyte GA-5AX with unknown CPU in dusty condition.

Nice! I havent seen this revision yet.

Visit my website: http://www.collection.batyra.pl

Reply 19213 of 52699, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
psychz wrote:

Looks like it was a console week over here 😮 After a second Dreamcast, I got my first PlayStation... Only 23 years late to the party 😢 For 9€, a SCPH-1002 (first PAL release/the "audiophile edition"), two basic controllers (SCPH-1080, no dualshocks 🙁 ), its AC cord, its original A/V cable and a boxed 3rd party PSX<->SCART cable. Fully working, fully silent. Guess it's time to pack away the PS2 and play those old games (*coughcough*Ridge Racer*coughcough*) on the console they were made for. Oh, it is already chipped too!

Had that model as well, back when they were new. Never liked ridge racer my self. I was more a rage racer kind of person. Now with that chip, you need to check out other games. If you do not know it, then try Dead Or Alive 1 that were released for Ps1. Wipeout is great too.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 19214 of 52699, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Grabbed a QDI Socket 7 board and a Pentium 100 CPU because it was a cheap bundle:

med_gallery_60983_11505_523132.jpg

med_gallery_60983_11505_122222.jpg

Also grabbed two SB AWE64 CT4520s (even though I needed only the one.. you can never have too many AWE64s..)

med_gallery_60983_11505_557712.jpg

med_gallery_60983_11505_524579.jpg

And finally, the seller threw this into the lot as a bonus:

med_gallery_60983_11505_217148.jpg

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19215 of 52699, by Groovy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since I am the only one at work using retro PC's I end up with all the incoming old hardware. Today I was told by my employer that he had two boxes for me to take home after work, I was told there were 2 old CRT monitors and an old PC. This is what I ended up with. I really like my job some days.

Silicon Graphics Indigo 2
xUiMAxT.jpg
uwEX3kr.jpg
b0FZnkN.jpg
s5haMGf.jpg

NEC MultiSync E1100 21" Monitor
lIaI43z.jpg
o5T3SUM.jpg
CYALxFA.jpg

New in the box IBM 3151 Serial Terminal still in shrink wrap from IBM
Vt4abno.jpg
QulGyGi.jpg
mwLCxlQ.jpg
mLUogas.jpg

Reply 19216 of 52699, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
Grabbed a QDI Socket 7 board and a Pentium 100 CPU because it was a cheap bundle: […]
Show full quote

Grabbed a QDI Socket 7 board and a Pentium 100 CPU because it was a cheap bundle:

med_gallery_60983_11505_122222.jpg

Shame it's missing the original heatsink and fan, they are half the value.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 19217 of 52699, by probnot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up 2 sound cards. The Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 is for my 286 upgrade. The Sound Blaster 16 is because it's good to have a backup.

sunnhW3.jpg
Filename
sunnhW3.jpg
File size
3.39 MiB
Views
File license
QZRvzYZ.jpg
Filename
QZRvzYZ.jpg
File size
3.52 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 19219 of 52699, by cj_reha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got one of these Nakamichi 5 CD changer drives. I think it was around $30 shipped.

Demo of it loading and storing 5 CDs and ejecting them with cover off: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iodxMJQVmnc

Join the Retro PC Discord! - https://discord.gg/UKAFchB
My YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDJYB_ZDsIzXGZz6J0txgCA