VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1400 of 52835, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I watch movies I slide my couch about 2 metres from the 60" panasonic when watching Blu Rays, sure if you were 3 metres away on a 42" tv you would'nt tell the difference between Blu Ray and upscaled DVD, then again anything worth watching I cant remember the last time I watched a good movie on dvd as Blu Ray rentals are dirt cheap.

Reply 1401 of 52835, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
TheMAN wrote:
uhhh WRONG you think upscaling a regular DVD makes it look just as good as the BD/HD version of the same movie? or how about exp […]
Show full quote

uhhh WRONG
you think upscaling a regular DVD makes it look just as good as the BD/HD version of the same movie? or how about expecting the DVD to be the same quality as "off the air" 1080i HDTV? THINK AGAIN... it is NO WHERE CLOSE

you won't be able to tell a difference if your TV was crap and/or settings way off
my mere "crappy" 60" sony xbr rear projection HDTV shows a clear difference between upscaling regular DVDs on my Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD player (was one of the best cheap upscalers in 2008) and HD-DVDs, and that's at a viewing distance twice the recommended (about 6.5 meters from the TV)!

so long as there are people who care about the full sensory experience of watching a movie, there will be demand for Blurays as the format further improves to larger and larger discs with more and more quality being put to it for quite a few more years

streaming videos are convenient and great, but there isn't enough internet bandwidth in the average household to allow the same quality a bluray can offer at this time, with 3D viewing requiring even MORE bandwidth... eventually we'll get there, and that is when you can declare optical media obsolete, but who knows... maybe by then, it'll be replaced yet again with a completely new format and we'll be back to square one again

3D is useless. Who needs it? It's just a way for Sony to unload all those BluRay players that nobody wants. Also, who is talking about streaming? You download the file then you watch it direct from your hard drive. That's how content will be accessed in the future. It will be like when you download a movie from XBOX Live!. If it's a rental the file has an expiration date and after that you won't be able to watch it anymore then you just delete the file because it's useless.

And seriously, if upscaled DVD isn't good enough for you, you really need to stop being so nitpicky and if you REALLY want the full experience, then you should be watching movies on a 75 foot theater screen and not on your 55" TV.

I'm not being "nitpicky", I am saying I CAN SEE A DIFFERENCE and you are just blind or have a shitty TV... the difference isn't subtle, it is huge

3D is a gimmick true, but some movies such as avatar were originally shot in 3D... I saw both 2D and 3D versions of this movie, there is no comparison.... 2D avatar just plain sucks, it looks dull, flat, and too animated.... the 3D version made something that was basically animated into something that is believably real... made it look like it was just filmed in a studio, almost

nobody wants to download movies with their crappy DSL or cable modem connection, no, not with current average speeds the household gets... you're forgetting that not everyone pays for anything more than the most basic internet... downloading a 30GB movie will take all day or more for them! You're forgetting that american consumerism demands instant gratification... they want to go to the store, buy or rent a disc, come home, stuff it into the player and just sit down and watch... you're also forgetting some shitty ISPs have download quotas monthly.... people are already running into issues because they got netflix, what makes you think downloadable movies is a great idea?

you got serious issues if you can't see a fucking difference between HD and SD video... nobody has to be a videophile or quality freak to even see the difference.... I bet you just love polishing turds in your house and think they are diamonds!

so now, do you have anything more stupid to say?

Last edited by TheMAN on 2012-08-27, 21:29. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1402 of 52835, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:

When I watch movies I slide my couch about 2 metres from the 60" panasonic when watching Blu Rays, sure if you were 3 metres away on a 42" tv you would'nt tell the difference between Blu Ray and upscaled DVD, then again anything worth watching I cant remember the last time I watched a good movie on dvd as Blu Ray rentals are dirt cheap.

I have HD and DVD versions of some movies, there's a huge difference even at 9 meters away from the TV, coming from the SAME player, SAME settings, SAME cables.... I guess it all depends on how good your TV is and how well you adjusted the settings 😀

Reply 1403 of 52835, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sliderider: stop being a prick. Even with my more or less fucked eyesight (depending on my blood sugar). Then I can see a difference between HD and SD. Hell I am an amateur photographer, and I can see quite a difference between good resolution picture, that I have taken and a crappy one, a professional photographer has taken. And his resolution is probably also HD, like my camera makes. But he is a daft idiot. Who can't photograph worth a shit. Where I on the other hand take pictures, because I love taking pictures, and I know how to hold my camera steady, and so forth. Hell even when I had my HD screen, I could definitely see a bloody difference between SD and HD on my pc. And not just that, I always kicked up the resolution to 1920 × 1080, which is the same as 1080P in 60hz, which was fucking fine for me. So I could see a difference.

Reply 1404 of 52835, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure this counts, but I bought a 4GB CF microdrive today.
It's supposed to pair up with the 2GB CF card I already have for use as extra storage/swap space for my 486 build.

Reply 1405 of 52835, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WolverineDK wrote:

sliderider: stop being a prick. Even with my more or less fucked eyesight (depending on my blood sugar). Then I can see a difference between HD and SD. Hell I am an amateur photographer, and I can see quite a difference between good resolution picture, that I have taken and a crappy one, a professional photographer has taken. And his resolution is probably also HD, like my camera makes. But he is a daft idiot. Who can't photograph worth a shit. Where I on the other hand take pictures, because I love taking pictures, and I know how to hold my camera steady, and so forth. Hell even when I had my HD screen, I could definitely see a bloody difference between SD and HD on my pc. And not just that, I always kicked up the resolution to 1920 × 1080, which is the same as 1080P in 60hz, which was fucking fine for me. So I could see a difference.

If BluRay is so fucking great like you all say, then why hasn't it pushed DVD out yet? It's been on the market how long? 6 years? It took DVD less time than that to push VHS off the market and for VHS to do the same to Betamax. When HD-DVD flopped, there was supposed to be this huge rush of people wanting to buy BluRay players and it never materialized. Apparently, the market disagrees with all of you because people are continuing to buy DVD and DVD players while BluRay players and movies gather dust on store shelves. BluRay discs can't even command higher prices over DVD's anymore because people aren't willing to pay more for them anymore like they did when they first came out. Everyone reluctantly upgraded to DVD from VHS because the difference was huge and the technologies were incompatible, not so much with DVD and BluRay. Nobody who has hundreds of DVD's is going to throw them all away and start over with BluRay when they don't have to.

And as for downloading being too slow, that's why you start your download in the morning before you leave so it'll be ready for you to view when you get home in the evening. Duh!

Reply 1406 of 52835, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The problem with blu-ray is this. Most movies dont benefit from the high-def. Thets why dvd is around, its so damn cheap.

I buy blueray only for movies that actually benefit from it. case in point, avatar. 7.1 sound and 1080p make a WORLD of difference. Your average romantic comedy has no use for 1080p.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1408 of 52835, by CapnCrunch53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What are you trying to argue Sliderider? Yes Blurays look better; myself and everyone else in this thread can attest to that. They're not worth it to everybody and apparently aren't to you either, that's fine. To some of us (myself included) they very much are, at least for movies where it's worthwhile. This is a ridiculous argument; if you don't like them then don't buy them, end of story.

PCs, Macs, old and new... too much stuff.

Reply 1412 of 52835, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know how to fix this. SO WHO'S GOT YOUR VOTE? Mwuahahaha, nah, lets get back on track. 🤣

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 1413 of 52835, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

..........and I thought this thread is about retro hardware you bought.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1414 of 52835, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
WolverineDK wrote:

If BluRay is so fucking great like you all say, then why hasn't it pushed DVD out yet? It's been on the market how long? 6 years? It took DVD less time than that to push VHS off the market and for VHS to do the same to Betamax. When HD-DVD flopped, there was supposed to be this huge rush of people wanting to buy BluRay players and it never materialized. Apparently, the market disagrees with all of you because people are continuing to buy DVD and DVD players while BluRay players and movies gather dust on store shelves. BluRay discs can't even command higher prices over DVD's anymore because people aren't willing to pay more for them anymore like they did when they first came out. Everyone reluctantly upgraded to DVD from VHS because the difference was huge and the technologies were incompatible, not so much with DVD and BluRay. Nobody who has hundreds of DVD's is going to throw them all away and start over with BluRay when they don't have to.

And as for downloading being too slow, that's why you start your download in the morning before you leave so it'll be ready for you to view when you get home in the evening. Duh!

ok, so you took an argument about "no difference in quality" to market demand and pricing... is that the best stupid shit that came out of your ass?

market demand/pricing has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PICTURE QUALITY ARGUMENT

most people don't buy blurays because either A) they don't care about it looking better, B) don't want to pay the outrageous prices for them and just rent instead

I fit in category B, because there's many movies that I just want to watch once and that's it.... there's a handful of bluray movies that I collected, only because they're worth rewatching, and I got them cheap!

you're insinuating that low market demand is due to the fact that bluray movies don't look much better than DVDs, when you are just plain fucking wrong

start download in the morning and have it in the evening? are you daft? most people are too groggy in the morning to care to sit at a computer to dick with stupid shit like this... did you not read what I said about ISP download quotas? Lots of people have maxed out their quotas on their cheap shitty internet service already... you are SO out of touch with this world

you lost the argument, stop being a sore loser by changing the subject

and you are a dumbass
stfu and go away

Reply 1416 of 52835, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

But now they are pushing for 4k resolution soon and its so detailed that the human eye can't see all the detail unless you sit very close to the TV.

Subliminal messages to buy toothpaste while you're watching Inception

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 1417 of 52835, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Moved

Last edited by m1919 on 2012-09-08, 07:59. Edited 5 times in total.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 1418 of 52835, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Screw 4k tv, I cant wait for 8k. Its higher def than REAL LIFE!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19370582

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1419 of 52835, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So recently I missed the chance of getting a VFX1 helmet, but luckily a few days ago I came across this:

zcLFS.jpg

Photo is from the seller, but I already have it. Still haven't opened it!