Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1480 of 52769, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
Some gateway case Nvidia GF2 ultra 64mb 2x 128mb rimms 60gb & 40gb ide drive 1.5ghz p4 (s423) tv tuner, with fm Ive actually wa […]
Show full quote

Some gateway case
Nvidia GF2 ultra 64mb
2x 128mb rimms
60gb & 40gb ide drive
1.5ghz p4 (s423)
tv tuner, with fm Ive actually wanted one of these for a long time.

kept ram, hdd's and tuner, trashed the rest

You could have trashed that geforce in my bin...

Reply 1481 of 52769, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dirkmirk wrote:

What does that clock card do?

The first 8088 and 8086 - v20 and XT compatible computers doesnt have a real time clock on the motherboard

The motherboard bios is very basic in that time.

-It only could boot the system
-You couldnt use *DEL* or *F2* to get in de bios, that wasnt really possible..
- It didnt support High capacity drives (like 1.44MB or 1.2MB)

So when every time you booted the system, you need to set the date and time specs in the computer when it was on.. Dos had a software clock / time settings..

In that time you could buy an EMS memory board or just a full intergrated board with CGA, floppy 360KB, 720KB, parallel, serial ports on it and some had also a realtime clock intergrated on that board..
You had to load a driver to activate the realtime clock..

The downside of those oldere RTC boards are that they arent year 2000 compatible. That means when year 1999 has done it goes back to 1900..

This board that i have bought have a enhanced bios on it.. You can see it as a extra bios extension.. So what is needed to get year 2000 compatible thats in that extra enhanced bios.. what the motherboard bios not have build in..

So my XT V20 NEC build have possibilities to be 2000 year compliant..
I also think i dont have to install software for it, because that card is a fully hardware solution.. Then i could use time and 2013 settings on my XT computer..

Would the RTC be dead.. I would desolder it.. Then solder a IC socket in the board and put a new RTC device in..

Then i could remove my smart watch thing from the board..
Because that one needs to have a driver..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1482 of 52769, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used to have a memory/multi i/o card with a RTC, and in order for it to work, you would run a program that stores the date/time settings on the card. Then, you have to load a file that reads the settings from the card, in autoexec.bat. So each time it starts, it updates the correct settings.

Reply 1483 of 52769, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

yeah i know i have it allready with that smart watch thing i used.. But i think that ISA card would be better..

Reply 1484 of 52769, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scored another load of free junked computers today. A Dell AT style socket 5 board that used normal atx psu, a likely dead compaq board but has a good removable power vrm, a generic socket 370 Gateway, and the real prize Permidia 3D card. Also there is a no name at style ss7 board that is the smallest one that I have ever seen. Its tiny like the Tomato board 😮

EDIT: I managed to get the board to boot after having to clean up a lot of rust and dirt after sitting for what looked to have been a few months in the weather. It is a Shuttle Hot 591P. Removed the original battery holder due to corrosion and cleaned up the area where some corrosion had taken place.

Second EDIT: I managed to track down the name of the card. It is an E&S Accel Star II 😁

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1485 of 52769, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

28wfktv.jpg

Two NEC X385s for me.

AND

I found this (and bought): A brand new AT case big tower in the netherlands
That extremely RARE!!

33kxhrm.jpg 357onqr.jpg
2houvlv.jpg

Reply 1486 of 52769, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Again where do you find all that nice stuff! i really want to know because when i search for stuff i want i can't find it or it's on the other side of the world and the seller won't ship to the Netherlands.

Reply 1487 of 52769, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just look everywhere. Ebay. Local recycle centre and so on..
I know its not easy to find, but still keep on trying.. And go to flee markets maybe you find some stuff there!

Reply 1489 of 52769, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My eBay Tualatin converter arrived. Plugged in a P3-1400, hooked it up to a K&L slotket, attached a sink/fan, and it's humming along nicely on the Abit VA6. This means the "Glide Rocket" is essentially complete: Voodoo 5500, Monster Sound II MX300, 100gb Seagate Baracuda, 512mb PC133 CL2, NEC USB2 card, FDD, DVD-RW, W98SE, 350w Diablotek PS, packed in a compact CoolerMaster Elite 360 case... The fastest in my triuverate of retro rigs..

Reply 1491 of 52769, by fantasma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Robin4, that AT tower is awesome. I'm always looking around for one of those. I think I have that same model in the standard case size, extremely yellowed though. Are you going to set up a system with it?

Reply 1492 of 52769, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
http://pics.qxlstatic.no/20_687892000_Big/moduler/roland-sc-7.jpg […]
Show full quote

roland-sc-7.jpg

Roland SC-7, picked up at a local auction site for a very low price 😀

So how does it sound?

Reply 1493 of 52769, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

that 4mb VLB S3 card... wow, just wow.

On the ebay site in germany i had offered on a second one few weeks ago..
Just a game of luck i guess. 😁 🤣

Reply 1494 of 52769, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought a Gateway 2000 G6 233-M, good old Pentium 2 233 and the drive was already upgraded to 80GB. With the original keyboard the grand total was only $3 😀 Even has a Trident AGP card 😊

EDIT: Found out why it was only $2 for the tower, turns out the psu had problems and the optical drive is shot. After recapping the psu the fan is either dead or the circuit that drives it is dead. Beyond that it booted up into Win 98 from off the 80GB 😎

Anyone got any good ideas for removing the yellowing from the plastic? It must have been near a window.

Last edited by nforce4max on 2012-09-16, 01:11. Edited 1 time in total.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1495 of 52769, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nforce4max wrote:

Bought a Gateway 2000 G6 233-M, good old Pentium 2 233 and the drive was already upgraded to 80GB. With the original keyboard the grand total was only $3 😀 Even has a Trident AGP card 😊

That 80GB drive will never do, that's overdate rubbish. You'll have to pop maybe a 6 or 8 gig in there. 🤣

Sounds like a fun rig to play with for only 3 bucks.

Reply 1496 of 52769, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bushwack wrote:
nforce4max wrote:

That 80GB drive will never do, that's overdate rubbish. You'll have to pop maybe a 6 or 8 gig in there. 🤣

Sounds like a fun rig to play with for only 3 bucks.

First branded PC to be sold with DVD player, right? Very cool 😉

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 1497 of 52769, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
fantasma wrote:

Robin4, that AT tower is awesome. I'm always looking around for one of those. I think I have that same model in the standard case size, extremely yellowed though. Are you going to set up a system with it?

Thank you. The craziest is, iam always finding AT bigtowers!
It seems maybe i have the luck to find those cases..
But i still keep my eyes open in the hope i find more nice cases.. 😁

Yes ian trying to build a 486- 586 133 mhz rig in it.. with Vesa Local bus.

Reply 1499 of 52769, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 is that another overclock monster I'm seeing? 😉

that full tower case looks just like my "mid" (more like mini) tower my retrobox is... basically same styling... won't be surprised if it's the same brand/company that made it!