VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1500 of 52820, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My non-plus spectrum was DoA, so I picked up this which was advertised as being in perfect working order.

ZwXjil.jpg

I like the keyboard on this one more, anyway. 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 1502 of 52820, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMAN wrote:

🤣 is that another overclock monster I'm seeing? 😉

that full tower case looks just like my "mid" (more like mini) tower my retrobox is... basically same styling... won't be surprised if it's the same brand/company that made it!

Iam not intended to overclock the cpu. I know that 133mhz would be fast enough to run the games i want to run.. Like Doom and so on.
In my opinion 100mhz is just i little bit to slow for such of games.
I like to have them running smooth on that computer rig.

That case is indeed nice, and iam very happy to have it here now.. 😜

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1503 of 52820, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Strike really flies on a Intel 486 DX/2 😁

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 1504 of 52820, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IMG_1882.JPG

BFG 7800 GS OC and DX60G (er...did I get that right?) clone. Both from eBay.

The final parts for my XP and SS7 machine. Just waiting on the arctic silver and cleaner kit I ordered from newegg to get here and I can put together my SS7 build.

Reply 1505 of 52820, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah... had a pair of 7800 GTs in SLI in my old XP rig. They were the bomb before the 512mg GTXs were released. Fond memories of this "HalfLife Killer" line..

Reply 1506 of 52820, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I know that it is not retro but had to cave in and go to a local store, bought a Antec True Power TP3-550 for $43 after tax.

As for the 7800gs I got the one with the solid copper cooler and led fan 😀

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1507 of 52820, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got one of these from my local thrift store for FOUR DOLLARS.

http://i.imgur.com/QncHu.jpg

I stole that picture, mine is the same except it "supposedly" has a 160mb hard drive.

I also got a mac > pc svga monitor adapter. so no more crappy 13" screen for my mac! YAY! I just need to find my 50 pin external scsi terminator now...

*edit* updated picture with REAL item. I also popped it open and it has the origional hard drive in it! Its a seagate st2209n. It also was fully functional. Someone used this as a "games" hard drive. They LOVED Simcity 2000, and honestly, who doesn't?

Last edited by luckybob on 2012-09-24, 20:30. Edited 1 time in total.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 1508 of 52820, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today is a good day as I got my new in box Voodoo Rush (Adenaline Rush 3D) and it is sealed 😀
Cellophane and all! It is the first time that I have seen a boxed Rush before 😮

Reply 1509 of 52820, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked up a Ti 86 graphing calculator for $1 at a thrift shop today. Great shape except someone's name is scratched into the back. The $1 I paid for it, I found on the ground minutes before.

ShBQO.jpg

Reply 1511 of 52820, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up three Slot 1 computers today for free.

Computer 1:

Compaq Presario 5686
450mhz PIII
Diamond Sonic Impact S90(A/B) Aureal Vortex1 PCI
ATI Rage Pro LT 8MB
128MB RAM
DVD-ROM and 32X CD-ROM
Floppy drive
Modem and Ethernet card
OEM Compaq Motherboard which has AT power connector!

Computer 2:
PII 400mhz
Voodoo3 3000
Soundblaster Live!
Asus P2B v1.10 motherboard
128MB RAM
Modem

Computer 3:
IBM Aptiva
PII 450mhz
OEM mini-ATX motherboard with built-in sound
Nvidia RIVA 128 ZX graphics
128MB RAM

Not too shabby 😀

Will probably pick what I need and sell/throw away the other

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1513 of 52820, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
Picked up three Slot 1 computers today for free. […]
Show full quote

Picked up three Slot 1 computers today for free.

Computer 1:

Compaq Presario 5686
450mhz PIII
Diamond Sonic Impact S90(A/B) Aureal Vortex1 PCI
ATI Rage Pro LT 8MB
128MB RAM
DVD-ROM and 32X CD-ROM
Floppy drive
Modem and Ethernet card
OEM Compaq Motherboard which has AT power connector!

Computer 2:
PII 400mhz
Voodoo3 3000
Soundblaster Live!
Asus P2B v1.10 motherboard
128MB RAM
Modem

Computer 3:
IBM Aptiva
PII 450mhz
OEM mini-ATX motherboard with built-in sound
Nvidia RIVA 128 ZX graphics
128MB RAM

Not too shabby 😀

Will probably pick what I need and sell/throw away the other

Better not toss what some will one day envy 🤣, but serious you should pass it onto someone else in your area that is into retro.

Reply 1514 of 52820, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

Better not toss what some will one day envy 🤣, but serious you should pass it onto someone else in your area that is into retro.

It came from a local ad for free stuff, and I had to pick everything or nothing. Tbh I just wanted computer two after taking a quick look at it. I live in a quite small city so I don't know anyone else who is collecting retro computers. Will try and sell or give it to other collectors before I have to get rid of some parts. I just don't have space for all of it.

Reply 1515 of 52820, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought me a Yamaha Audician 32 sound card. I'm assuming this is one of those YMF719 cards. I already have one but like having one in a box with drivers, and it was only 10 bucks shipped.

There's a few more there if anyone's interested:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190727530409?ssPag … 9#ht_500wt_1414

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1516 of 52820, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went thrifting yesterday with the wife. Picked up a couple jewel case only DOS games, nothing special. I did see a nice old enlight case (I think it's enlight, the PSU is and the case looks about like one of theirs), had a PIII badge on the front, could see a video card and sound card in the slots. This store wraps about 50ft of tape around the case to keep people from opening them and taking parts out. Price was just $24.99. I thought about it, but left it behind thinking I didn't want to start the downward spiral of picking up every random machine I find just on the off change something nice would be inside.

This morning, I kept thinking to myself that for 25 bucks, the case alone was worth it. So I went back, grabbed it, and just now had a chance to open her up.

(This space for pictures when I get home)

Nothing special, an ASUS P3W board, (i810, meh), p3 500, stick of ram. The video card I saw in the back was just a header for the onboard video so that bummed me out but the soundcard made me grin a bit. An Avance Logic SC4000 ALS4000. From what I've been able to find on here, people love these little bastards almost as much as ESS cards. Kind of anxious to try it out. I may make this a fast DOS machine and slot it in between my SS7 and p3 fast Win98 machines.

Reply 1517 of 52820, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Enlight case is probably worth the $25 by itself, if it's in good condition.

The P3W might be a good candidate for a Win9x/DOS Glide machine. The i810 video is quite good for 2D, especially if it's got the onboard 4MB dedicated 'display cache', and a Voodoo would take care of the 3D. I think you can use pretty much any 100fsb PIII/Celeron in it (or even 133fsb if it's a P3W-E, though you're still stuck with 100mhz RAM), and it should even have a certain amount of overclocking ability.

Reply 1518 of 52820, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dual V2s is exactly what I was thinking actually. So many PCI slots to fill. It does have the 4mb video. According to the Asus docs, it's got some kind of XG soft synth capability. Anyone know anything about that?

Reply 1519 of 52820, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a ATI 3D Rage for a couple of dollars + shipping. This is the original model released in april of 1996, but was quickly replaced with the ATI 3D Rage II in December the same year. Not the easiest card to get hold of.

Already tried Mechwarrior 2 on it, and while it runs quite well on my P3, the image quality is even worse than with the ATI Rage Pro which I would not expect in a ATICIF game that is made for this first version of the card... Hellbender (Direct3D) was not very fun with only around 15 FPS in 640x480 with terrible alpablending. Even the NV1 had alittle bit better framerate in this game 🤣

ATI_3D_RageI.JPG