VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 880 of 52615, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not to change the subject, but I acquired a box of spare parts from someone today for 10 bucks. Alot of what was in the box was fluff, but there were some good scores in here as well, in what was essentially a grab bag of parts off of Kijiji.

I threw a fair amount of junk to the recycle pile, obviously broken parts, cables, a pair of Discman's that look broken, useless parts, cards, etc... What's left is still quite the score for the price.

6800272329_33d6c559e4_b.jpg
I got:

For the CPU Collection:
Pentium MMX 166MHz (yay)
Celeron 333MHz (Mendocino, Slot 1)
Celeron 400MHz (Mendocino, S370)
Pentium II 450MHz (Deschutes)
Celeron 1100MHz (Coppermine) on a Slocket adapter!

Cards:
Creative CT4810 Ensoniq AudioPCI/Vibra128.
Metabyte Wicked3D Voodoo2 12mb (sadly no loop cable).
Sound Blaster 16 CT1740 ISA.
S3 Trio 3D AGP
ATI 8mb Xpert 98 AGP (Rage II+DVD I think)
8bit ISA 25pin Serial Card
And a USRobotics ISA Modem. I was going to toss this to the pile until I saw an AMD 29000-series processor onboard.

Drives:
52x MSI CDRW
Older LG CDRW (not sure the speed)
3x 3.5" Floppy Drives
3.2GB Fujitsu Hard Drive

Other stuff:
Two bags of RAM, including a whack of 30pin SIMMs
Gravis Gamepad Pro (now I have 2!)
First generation iMac Keyboard
A selection of older Socket 7/370 CPU Fans (not pictured)

The part I saw in here that I wanted originally was the Voodoo2, hoping it would be a matching Diamond Monster 3D II 12mb I could build an SLI with, or at least an extra loop cable, but still a good score. Even if half of this stuff doesn't work, it's still well worth the $10.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 882 of 52615, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

0022ro.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Just bought this motherboard. Supports 64k - 1MB L2, UMC chipset, VLB (a major plus for me, as I sometimes like to compare VLB to PCI whenever I can borrow a good VLB card), and several features I'm just now exploring. All in all it's the most interesting UMC board I've dealt with aside from the Shuttle HOT-433 Rev.4 motherboard that I used to clock my IBM 5x86C.

I just wish this motherboard had another PCI port, and PS/2 support. But such is the way of "super socket 3" motherboards.

Reply 883 of 52615, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm prety sure this is an early version PC Chips M919. They used to come with socketed cache. If it is anything like the later M919's, you may run into stability issues with a VLB graphics card. You definately don't want to put in the wrong RAM type on this board. Let me know how things work out.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 884 of 52615, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

I'm prety sure this is an early version PC Chips M919. They used to come with socketed cache. If it is anything like the later M919's, you may run into stability issues with a VLB graphics card. You definately don't want to put in the wrong RAM type on this board. Let me know how things work out.

Thank you very much for the information. I looked a little closer and in little print on the corner it says M919 so I'm pretty sure that it is the PC Chips board in question. I'll open another thread to further discuss it when I test it, if I get any results to write about.

Reply 886 of 52615, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up Pioneer DR-501S as a backup CD-ROM for my 1997 Win95 rig, always wanted one of these slot loading units. Dated September 1997, rated as a 24x drive, but seemed kinda slow during testing. Course that was an issue at the time as most drives only reached 12x-16x max at the outer reaches of the disk but were still marketed as 24x drives.

This one works, is fairly quite without the crazy spin-up so I'm happy. May actually use this one instead and pull my old one out as save it as a backup.

pioneer_dr-501s.jpg

Reply 887 of 52615, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bushwack wrote:

Course that was an issue at the time as most drives only reached 12x-16x max at the outer reaches of the disk but were still marketed as 24x drives.

Inner tracks, actually.

The outer tracks move past the read head faster than the inner ones.

I picked up a cool little 286 portable (not my picture):

t3200.jpg

286 12MHz, 1MB RAM, EGA graphics, 40MB HDD, and two ISA slots!

Best of all, no battery leakage! It's discharged, but it's not soldered to the board, it's attached by a short cord.

Sadly the HDD has a few bad sectors, and doesn't use an IDE connector. Might need to figure out something else. Those ISA slots might be the ticket! 😉

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 888 of 52615, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That 286 is BEGGING for a scsi card!!!! Put one of the newer adaptec cards in it. if there is room for a 3.5 inch drive, you can then loot an old mac. They come with Quantum prodrives. I have a 170mb drive next to me. It draws only a 1/4 amp on each the 5v and 12 lines. You wont find anything better! That and a scsi zip drive... external scsi cd drive...

If you DONT need a floppy drive controller: http://www.ebay.com/itm/330681436485

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 889 of 52615, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another option for SCSI1 and SCSI2 is this 3.5" card reader http://a4000t.com/store/index.php?main_page=p … 038c93dddfbb019

Although, it might be cheaper and easier just to throw in a multi I/O card, and use the IDE off that with an IDE/CF adapter and boot off a CF card.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 890 of 52615, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
bushwack wrote:

Course that was an issue at the time as most drives only reached 12x-16x max at the outer reaches of the disk but were still marketed as 24x drives.

Inner tracks, actually.

The outer tracks move past the read head faster than the inner ones.

Outside tracks have greater surface area then inside tacks, so more data is read per revolution while moving towards the outer edge of the disk.

I don't really understand what you mean when you say inner tracks, that's the slowest part of the CD and no one would want to market that speed.

Reply 891 of 52615, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ahh. I thought you meant that they only read at 12x-16x at the slower part of the disk but confused inner and outer (implying that it read at 24x at the outer tracks, and they marketed that speed somewhat misleadingly, since only part of the disk read that fast).

I see what you're saying though, and that's even worse!

Reply 892 of 52615, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm really digging the amber Gas Plasma display on this machine. It's very unique!

Good idea with the SCSI card. The existing HDD is a 3.5" double-height disk, so there's plenty of room for whatever I end up sticking in there.

DK, I don't know that a multi-IO card would work, there's no way to disable the internal MFM controller that I can see.

Reply 893 of 52615, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That SCSI card looks perfect, but the guy doesn't ship outside the USA. I found an Israeli seller with the same card, but I just want to check if the Boot ROM is standard on that card, or if it would be aftermarket.

If it's standard, I'll go ahead and order one, if not, I'll find an alternative.

Edit: http://download.adaptec.com/pdfs/installation … aha1520b_ig.pdf

Looks like it's standard, I'll go ahead and order one. Thanks for the suggestion!

Reply 895 of 52615, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As well as the stuff used in this thread: Finally, my perfect 486.

A Tyan S1564D Dual Socket 7 mobo, along with a Rendition V2200 8MB PCI, shown here with two SL2S9 200MMX chips installed (can you tell which one lost its original HSF? 😜):

6860938715_aaf101fc00.jpg
20120212-IMG_7269.jpg by squallstrife, on Flickr

An Asus CUV4X-DLS, with two P3 1000EB's installed, along with a GeForce 4 Ti4200, and an Aureal Vortex 2, shown here installed into an Antec case I had spare:

6860940097_5be86bf3e6.jpg
20120212-IMG_7276.jpg by squallstrife, on Flickr

Also, a handful of VX and TX motherboards, and an AMD 5x86 133MHz (what's a good indicator that a motherboard will support this chip?)

Reply 896 of 52615, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, a handful of VX and TX motherboards, and an AMD 5x86 133MHz (what's a good indicator that a motherboard will support this chip?

I think most motherboards with a 3.3V regulator should support it. I have found that many of them require BIOS upgrade first. For example, I have a UM8810P and a 486SV2G, neither would work with an Am5x86 until I upgraded the BIOS - thankfully I managed to find the BIOS files on the internet. Both of the BIOS chips were UV-erasable EPROMs so I have to use my programmer and eraser. I believe you can just by an equivalent sized 28F or 29F EEPROM chip, and hot-flash them in a different motherboard or even stick them in a network card and use UNIFLASH.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 898 of 52615, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

got a couple boards off of ebay. I swore to myself that I wouldn't build a 486, but it looks like I'm going to be building two! Well 1 & 1/2.

looks like a top of the line 486 motherboard: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270912095100 looks like it has everthing I want in a 486.

I also have a "super" 386 setup. A sweet setup with scsi, 32mb of ram. I thought I was DONE with it. Until I found this guy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270912174499 Yes. its a 386 board! with VLB! and a 386>486 upgrade chip! Which means I need to put a pod83 into the other board to balance my karma...

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 899 of 52615, by nemesis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha, I was wondering who pounced on that board... was thinking about going for it myself but decided that I should finish what I started on the others first.
Are you going to test the 60/66 MHz FSB on that thing?