Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 21461 of 52626, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

had one of these boards for 24/7 internet stuff - really good. update us when you make a case 😀

Yeah, I will make a separate thread in the "System Specs" section. But it will take time, lot of time I think. 🤣 As a first step I must finish my 3D printer assembly, then learn how to draw and model 3D objects on PC... and then I can start planning how to design the case. 😀

I will check the fan and replace it if needed.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 21462 of 52626, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Scored a second (actually a third, but I had sold my second to a begging friend and regretted ever since) Voodoo 3 3000 AGP out of nowhere, but it has a different heatsink than I am used to. All 3000s I ever owned had their heatsinks attached to the PCB with metal pins, this one looks glued on, and misoriented to boot. Seller says the card works but I can't get over how funny the heatsink looks in his photo.. Will this be trouble?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21464 of 52626, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good news! The postman came today at last, here's the haul (not just today's, but coming in in drips and drabs over the last few weeks):

full.jpg

From right to left

• Iiyama HM704UTC flatscreen Diamondtron CRT
  • Aztech I38-MMSN824 (Sound Galaxy Washington 16)
  • Miro Crystal 20SV PCI (rev G) VGA
  • Dawicontrol DC-974 SE SCSI (with bootROM)
  • Asus PI/XP55T2P4 rev. 3.00 So7 i430HX motherboard
  • 4x 16MB EDO 60ns 72p SIMM
  • Fortron Source FSP350-60PN(PF) PSU, 350W with -12V and -5V lines and most of the oomph on the +5V line, but also decent +12V, a P4 connector and some SATA too.
  • K6-166ALR
  • K6-2 450AFX
  • K6-3+ 400ATZ
  • an 8b ISA serial/parallel card with no FCC ID or info other than "BB-10-88". Serial ports driven by UM82450, parallel by UM82C11, chips dated w51 1989 (or slightly older)
  • Aztech CNR2800 analog modem
  • AVM Fritz!Card PCI ISDN Controller
  • Noname ATX minitower case, real 2000 razor-sharp aluminium vintage, with PSU over motherboard, so nice and compact (and crap to work in)
  • Transcend 1GB and 2GB CF cards
  • Noname (AliExpress sourced) CF-to-IDE adapters, one external, one internal

In other words, I'm back in vintage/So7 business 😎

The idea is to introduce my 5 year-old son to the joys of building computers, first with a very basic Pentium 100(@75MHz) build, then letting him hit the limits (courtesy of Windows 3.11) and let him slowly upgrade and overclock until we have that thing stacked with K6-3+ at 400MHz or higher (if I can get the FSB over 66MHz), 256MB (or 512MB if I can dig up some 128MB SIMMs) of RAM and maybe a better GPU and sound card.

Regardless of the build, this PSU and monitor should handle anything So7/370/A we throw at them, in fact the monitor looked great when testing as secondary screen next to my Dell 23" QHD TFT 😉

As for the other bits, SCSI is always useful, but I have no practical use whatsoever for the 8b I/O card, the ISDN card or the CNR thingy. The CNR2800 is a bit of nostalgia though, I had to support that thing back in the day when I worked for Packard Bell's helpdesk, and occasionally saw the Aztech Sound Galaxy 16 too. If I'm really bored one day I might set up an Asterisk server just to let me use the CNR2800 - if I have a system with CNR slots that is...

First things first though: testing this stuff 😀

Reply 21465 of 52626, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Arr testicles 🙁

That beautiful XP55T2P4 motherboard is completely dead. I hooked up a minimal config with (underclocked) CPU, RAM, VGA, PSU and a POST-diagnostic card, fired it up and... 00 code on the diag and a smell of very, very unhappy electronics. After testing all the peripherals on another system (worked fine) I gave it another go. Same again. Then started feeling components to find out where the smell was coming from. CPU was cold, VRM heatsinks and caps too. But the 82439HX northbridge was insanely hot. On closer inspection there was a discoloration in the BGA package corresponding to the shape of the actual die, and over one corner of it the plastic was actually cracked. Dead as a dornail. Next question was whether I buggered up. Nope, once I knew where to look I saw the discoloration in the eBay pics for the item. So much for "Funktion war bis zur Zerlegung gegeben!". In fact I doubt whether this board ever worked properly. The TAG RAM socket is mounted oddly, with one end a few mms off the motherboard, as if someone tried to desolder it and pull it off. Don't think anyone actually did that, as there are no signs of soldering around the pins, so looks more like manufacturing defect. A short-circuit in the cache circuitry could explain how the northbridge could get so hot.

This is what it looks like:
full.jpg

At least the PSU and CF stuff works fine. I've installed MS-DOS 6.22 on the smaller of the cards. Now to find another motherboard, this time one that works...

Reply 21466 of 52626, by beastlike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MoIkPHb.png
IBM PS/2 8525 - 004 model, double density 720k floppy drive. (I believe it's an 8086) Needs a tiny bit of cleanup, love the machine though. It actually has a hard drive! What are some of the best games I can play on this guy?

Reply 21467 of 52626, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I love the model 25. Got 5 of them even. ^.^

Honestly, I love to use them for text based adventures, or similar. I want to use the 286 version, but I can't find a ISA riser card. If by chance yours is a 286, can I get the part number off this riser? will probably say FPU ##X#### (X is a letter).

once I get that riser, i'll use a normal SB16, and outfit mine with scsi so I can get rid of the damned hard drive. They are so unreliable I cannot even write a proper analogy.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21468 of 52626, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

Don't worry. Both versions of the cooler were official releases.

Is the crooked orientation a factory mistake then? I'm concerned that if the heatsink got twisted like that later on it may have caused damage? I bought the card anyway so we'll know soon enough 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21470 of 52626, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Orchid Fahrenheit 1280° Plus (1024 kB, S3 801) and a Video Seven VRAM VGA (512 kB)

Attachments

• IMG_8724.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8724.JPG
    File size
    202.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • IMG_8725.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8725.JPG
    File size
    200.17 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8726.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8726.JPG
    File size
    282.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    Filename
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    File size
    393.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    Filename
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    File size
    243.22 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 21471 of 52626, by CkRtech

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beautiful packaging for beautiful card ... slightly ruined by a sticker. 😁

Displaced Gamers (YouTube) - DOS Gaming Aspect Ratio - 320x200 || The History of 240p || Dithering on the Sega Genesis with Composite Video

Reply 21472 of 52626, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
blurks wrote:

Orchid Fahrenheit 1280° Plus (1024 kB, S3 801) and a Video Seven VRAM VGA (512 kB)

What a disappointment for the one who purchased this back in the day thinking his card would be rainbow colored.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg
Filename
FullSizeRender(1).jpg
File size
393.88 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 21473 of 52626, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote:
blurks wrote:

What a disappointment for the one who purchased this back in the day thinking his card would be rainbow colored.

FullSizeRender(1).jpg

2/10 - "Not festive enough..."

Reply 21474 of 52626, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My AWE64 collection will soon be complete as soon as the last card I wanted arrives - except for the cut down ones that don't allow RAM upgrades.

Finally found a AWE64 Gold! CT4540 for a decent price.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21475 of 52626, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just received another package: ELSA Victory Erazor (4 MB, nVidia Riva128). Like-new condition.

Attachments

• IMG_8730.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8730.JPG
    File size
    315.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8732.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8732.JPG
    File size
    378.71 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_8729.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_8729.JPG
    File size
    301.81 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 21476 of 52626, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about an original Geforce 3 for super cheap because the title/description was pretty horrible and in the wrong category.

This version of the card came with/without DVI. The one I am getting doesn't have DVI. Should I try adding DVI?

Seller's pics (cropped):

geforce 3 - front-cropped.jpg
Filename
geforce 3 - front-cropped.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license
Geforce 3 - back-cropped.jpg
Filename
Geforce 3 - back-cropped.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File license
Last edited by cyclone3d on 2018-01-18, 20:42. Edited 2 times in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21478 of 52626, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Should I try adding DVI?

It is much easier to get anothet GF3 with DVI than adding it to this one. It is not just the connector but also TMDS transmitter and many other components.... all this is missing on your card.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 21479 of 52626, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
havli wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

Should I try adding DVI?

It is much easier to get anothet GF3 with DVI than adding it to this one. It is not just the connector but also TMDS transmitter and many other components.... all this is missing on your card.

Gothcha. No biggie, just thought it might be worth a try.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK