VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 29300 of 52745, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

oh that case looks nice, not even yellow ^^, I still haven't found any decent cases in my area, and shipping would probably cost just as much as the case.

but I picked up some other things... not that retro, but useful

hardware02.jpg
Filename
hardware02.jpg
File size
98.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

HD4670 in a near mint box (pointing at the important bit)

hardware03.jpg
Filename
hardware03.jpg
File size
103.68 KiB
Views
File license

like I said, not really that retro, but got a box full of industrial PC goodies (including 2 sbcs) for really cheap, bought it mainly because of the CF disks I plan to use for retro builds... but upon opening the box I got another surprise, two more pata SSDs, those are going to come in very handy too.

and this:

p5bv3_01.jpg
Filename
p5bv3_01.jpg
File size
115.33 KiB
Views
File license
p5bv3_02.jpg
Filename
p5bv3_02.jpg
File size
232.68 KiB
Views
File license

paid a bit too much again probably, but I really like those "high end" AT boards ^^

Reply 29301 of 52745, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

speaking of cases and shipping... just as I was posting this another package arrived 😀

hardware04.jpg
Filename
hardware04.jpg
File size
101.72 KiB
Views
File license
cdr400tx.jpg
Filename
cdr400tx.jpg
File size
109.06 KiB
Views
File license

got these for free, just had to pay for shipping, I was maybe planning to actually do a full system in the larger case, but it is in such a good condition that I'll probably keep it as is.

Reply 29302 of 52745, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had that board in the late 1990's. AGP was the best thing on that board and I had 576MB RAM installed. I didn't have any AGP cards in the late 2000's, sadly.

That board supports up to 768MB RAM (or 1.5GB, if you're lucky).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 29304 of 52745, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One day I too will have an MVP3 board to replace my Tyan X.. One day.. *shakes fist*

Sorry for quoting myself but does anyone know what this motherboard is? ie. make and model?

appiah4 wrote:
https://i.postimg.cc/c6v7Gzq9/Unknown-386-SX.jpg […]
Show full quote

Unknown-386-SX.jpg

The only other similar board I can find is an exact copy, but copper colored, and with an intel SX-25 processor: https://www.ebay.com/itm/173872002278

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 29305 of 52745, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Standard Def Steve wrote:
Managed to snag this 7800GS AGP for only $30 CAD today! […]
Show full quote

Managed to snag this 7800GS AGP for only $30 CAD today!

VozBy2u.jpg

So now I have three of these cards. I've been using the first two in my AXP-2800/NF2 and A64-4000/NF3 machines. This third 7800GS, however, is going to be slotting into something totally different:

oKvSqVp.jpg

Yep, it'll be pushing pixels in my PowerMac G4 MDD. This beast has two 1.25GHz G4 processors w/ 2MB of L3 cache each, 2GB of PC2700 RAM, and a 300 GB SCSI HDD. It currently has the stock Radeon 9000 Pro in it, so the 7800GS will be a massive upgrade. It should even help Leopard run a bit more efficiently, as it supports Core Image in hardware. Just need to flash a Mac ROM to the 7800GS, then will be playing Doom 3 and UT2004 in no time!

Speaking of which, I've always wondered how the 1.25GHz G4 stacks up against my DDR-based PIII-S @ 1.63GHz in gaming workloads. I already have Doom 3 and UT2K4 installed on the PIII-S, and it handles both games quite well with a 6800GT. The 7800GS isn't much faster, and I'm sure the G4s will be the primary bottleneck, so this should make for a fairly interesting 2002 PPC vs x86 comparison. I have a feeling the PIII will win (unless the games can make use of the 2nd CPU in the Mac), but we shall soon see!

Nice Mac. I have the same one.
I don't think that 7800gs graphics card is going to work however.
The Mac has a special slot connector.
Apple proprietary.

Reply 29306 of 52745, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

s-l1600.jpg

A P4P800-E Deluxe with a p4 Northwood HT @ 3.0ghz, 2x512mb of DDR memory.

ASUS has USB 2.0 drivers and RAID support. I just got windows 98 on it, but I am hoping I can get full speed USB 2.0, SATA 1.5, and DMA on my optical driver working, which is the I/0 holy grail for 98 machines.

Reply 29307 of 52745, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also pulled the trigger on this

1559454940411_top.jpg

It's a "new" IBM XT motherboard in micro ATX form factor with built in RAM, SVGA, IDE/CF Card reader, and other modern conveniences. I ended up getting the 8087 math coproccessor just because, as well as the 512kb of memory on the graphics. Super excited to see what this thing can do.

Reply 29308 of 52745, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I absolutely love the idea of this board.. would love to build one in a modern m-atx chassis and fit some black floppy drives in the case.

However, the price is a bit prohibitive. I assume you paid the $300 USD on ebay?

mothergoose729 wrote:

It's a "new" IBM XT motherboard in micro ATX form factor with built in RAM, SVGA, IDE/CF Card reader, and other modern conveniences. I ended up getting the 8087 math coproccessor just because, as well as the 512kb of memory on the graphics. Super excited to see what this thing can do.

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 29309 of 52745, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The base price is 300$. After shipping and the upgrades it was 370$. It isn't cheap, but compared to getting an original XT second hand plus all the addon cards and upgrades the value isn't that bad, plus all of the conveniences like modern case headers and a built in ATX power converter, ect.

Also, it's a sexy board and I just wanted it really bad 😜.

Reply 29310 of 52745, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:
Nice Mac. I have the same one. I don't think that 7800gs graphics card is going to work however. The Mac has a special slot conn […]
Show full quote

Nice Mac. I have the same one.
I don't think that 7800gs graphics card is going to work however.
The Mac has a special slot connector.
Apple proprietary.

It'll work. Lots of people have used PC 7800GS cards in Quicksilvers and MDDs. You just have to flash the card's video BIOS with a Mac ROM and put some tape over pins 3 and 11 on the AGP connector. Then you officially have the fastest video card you can put in one of these thangs. 😜

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 29311 of 52745, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mothergoose729 wrote:

Also, it's a sexy board

It definitely is. Which of those ISA ports accept 16 bit cards? Bottom one and 2nd from the top? I noticed the layout is a bit subpar in that regard.

Reply 29312 of 52745, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
blurks wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

Also, it's a sexy board

It definitely is. Which of those ISA ports accept 16 bit cards? Bottom one and 2nd from the top? I noticed the layout is a bit subpar in that regard.

I think they are all 8 bit, like the original XT. That is the only thing I am a little worried about. I want to add a CD ROM drive, but I haven't yet been able to find any 8 bit sound cards that have the headers for CD audio or an auxiliary input.

Reply 29313 of 52745, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

Also, it's a sexy board

Indeed. It's not just 16b cards (which you could say are anachronistic) but old 8b only cards that have wider PCB where the 16b part would be, things like this MDA adapter:

1920px-KL_CGA_Unknown.jpg

Could also be a problem here...

Reply 29316 of 52745, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mothergoose729 wrote:
I also pulled the trigger on this […]
Show full quote

1559454940411_top.jpg

Good on you. Can you start a seperate thread on this? It will be nice to see how you get on.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 29317 of 52745, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote:

Good on you. Can you start a seperate thread on this? It will be nice to see how you get on.

Sure thing 😀

wiretap wrote:

Socket 939 board to put my FX60 in.. Seller photos:

Love that board. White PCB with red accents looks so good.

Reply 29318 of 52745, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Indeed. It's not just 16b cards (which you could say are anachronistic) but old 8b only cards that have wider PCB where the 16b […]
Show full quote
blurks wrote:
mothergoose729 wrote:

Also, it's a sexy board

Indeed. It's not just 16b cards (which you could say are anachronistic) but old 8b only cards that have wider PCB where the 16b part would be, things like this MDA adapter:

1920px-KL_CGA_Unknown.jpg

Could also be a problem here...

Totally irrellivent really. But if you look close enough the ISA slots are actually located in a well thought out position. The mobo has svga built in. It also wasn't designed to be multi-media system either but an all-in-one XT based system using more modern components. Being an XT of course the ISA slots are 8-bit as were the original. Compared to those 80s era XT class systems and 8-bit ISA cards now days on ebay it isn't too bad a price at all. Having CF for hdd and HD floppy drive support there's no need to hunt for that illusive 8-bit HD floppy card or XT-IDE card(these are available from Monotech as well btw). Monotech are doing a fantastic job filling a niche and I certainly take my hat off to them. If you have any queries or suggestions contact Jacob jacobdorne AT gmail.com or PM me and I'll pass them on as I live in the same town.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 29319 of 52745, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Won this bundle on shopgoodwill.com

1) GameBoy DMG-01
2) GameBoy 4 player DMG-07 with the Game Link Cables
3) Nuby Snap 'n Power
4) Nuby GameLight

42330562562336Blir.jpg
Filename
42330562562336Blir.jpg
File size
42.37 KiB
Views
File license

Everything will need a good cleaning, inspecting, repairs (if any), and mods.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser