VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25640 of 52618, by Eleanor1967

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Murugan wrote:
Not THAT retro but still..... Should be working but I am not sure if I'm even going to make a system out of it :p […]
Show full quote

Not THAT retro but still.....
Should be working but I am not sure if I'm even going to make a system out of it :p

lucWJ5rl.jpg

I totally forgot this thing existed, makes want to build a system with it. Slap on two of those funky Zalman Copper coolers like the CNPS 9700 and your good to go! I actually still use a CNPS 9900 MAX in my modern desktop, quite the decent cooler.

Reply 25642 of 52618, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenerb wrote:

Intergraph TD-300 desktop system.
Not sure what it is exactly, it has a pretty astonishing variety of integrated ports on the back, and two video cards I don't immediately recognize from the backplane. Looking for technical documentation now. Powers on, but my monitors are all in storage (moving) so I can't really tell if it's functional..

Here is an review...
https://books.google.dk/books?id=kD0EAAAAMBAJ … 20td-300&f=true

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 25643 of 52618, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This weird Crystal wavetable add-on ISA board.

Looks like it only pulls power from the ISA bus and nothing else.

Also looks like it is supposed to hook up to a SB16 the same way a CT1920 (awe32 upgrade / goldfinch) card does.

Seller's photos cropped and rotated.

front.jpg
Filename
front.jpg
File size
582.18 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
back.jpg
Filename
back.jpg
File size
533 KiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25644 of 52618, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xjas wrote:

^^ what board is that? And where's the RAM?

Looks like the Intel D5400XS. Skulltrail!!! Extreme!!! RAM slots would be underneath that perforated silver thing (whatever it is; RAM fan maybe? I see an OCZ logo).

Reply 25645 of 52618, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

finally got to test that TI 486slc2/50mhz upgrade I got for my IBM 386sx/20 system, the performance leap was huge: wolfenstein3D went from 11,7fps to 29fps.
Sadly the IBM mobo does not like the upgrade much, most of the times it will boot with a "system board" error. I did not have that problem with the cyrix486slc2 upgrade but it wasn't making the system that faster so maybe it helped.
Oh well, will keep it for another machine 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25646 of 52618, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you upgrade the BIOS for your machine?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25647 of 52618, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keenerb wrote:

Intergraph TD-300 desktop system.

Not sure what it is exactly, it has a pretty astonishing variety of integrated ports on the back,

Not really that astonishing, just serial, parallel, PS/2, network and sound. The only oddity is that the two DA15 connectors for joystick/MIDI and AUI didn't fit onto the LPX backplate and were given separate holes above it- but even that's not so unusual.

Nice stuff though - Intergraph always reminds me of SGI build quality and design philosophy (well, in beige that is...), but then done with PC parts.

Reply 25648 of 52618, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bjwil1991 wrote:

Did you upgrade the BIOS for your machine?

Nope but I tried an earlier version. I happen to have an extra mobo with a bios dated 04-1992 (my original one has a 06-1992 bios) and it's doing the exact same thing. I have no idea where to get an updated bios, I sent the image of the later one to the webmaster of the IBM PS1 resource page almost a year ago : https://ps1stuff.wordpress.com/2017/02/24/ps1 … arter-diskette/ but no idea where to find anything newer... 😕

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 25649 of 52618, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

finally got to test that TI 486slc2/50mhz upgrade I got for my IBM 386sx/20 system, the performance leap was huge: wolfenstein3D went from 11,7fps to 29fps.
Sadly the IBM mobo does not like the upgrade much, most of the times it will boot with a "system board" error. I did not have that problem with the cyrix486slc2 upgrade but it wasn't making the system that faster so maybe it helped.
Oh well, will keep it for another machine 😀

Which exact 486slc2 did you use? I'm thinking on doing the same on a 386sx I have, but the only slc chip I have is a TI486SXLC2-G50-PQ, the 3V/5V one.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25650 of 52618, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ it's the one pictured here I can check tomorrow for the specific part number

geWDcD1l.png

Reply 25651 of 52618, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I got some "Pentium CPU Cooler" (SPMP250B) heatsinks that fit my 486 boards 😀

20181015_204743 (Custom).jpg
Filename
20181015_204743 (Custom).jpg
File size
595.4 KiB
Views
File license

I also got some cheapy PLCC extractors - I really should not have attempted removing cache chips without this...

Reply 25652 of 52618, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:
^ it's the one pictured here I can check tomorrow for the specific part number […]
Show full quote

^ it's the one pictured here I can check tomorrow for the specific part number

geWDcD1l.png

If I'm to believe the picture on the box, that is actually a SXLC2-G50, exactly the part that I want to use. It's on a custom interposer though so I assume it has a VRM on there too.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25653 of 52618, by Katmai500

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Radeon 8500 128 MB with BGA memory. Unfortunately it's outputting more artifacts than actual video. It was advertised as fully working, but was shipped without an anti-static bag, so yeah. I've been having awful luck with ATi video cards lately. 😵

Attachments

• R8500_128M.jpg
    Filename
    R8500_128M.jpg
    File size
    549.21 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 25654 of 52618, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

What a fascinating little card! Makes me think it's an OEM product because how would it possibly work? The goldfinch has a drive to make it go and can be used without a soundcard at all, but that little guy looks like it might rely on a specific sound card. Not a SB16 I wouldn't have thought tho - they'd need to be linked by the MPU401 somehow.

Fascinating!

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 25655 of 52618, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I bet it uses a weird, proprietary MIDI ribbon cable through that pin header at the top of the card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 25656 of 52618, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe it was a special add-on for some OEM system that had onboard sound.

I couldn't find any information about it whatsoever I should be able to look up the data sheet for the Crystal chips and see if I can figure it out, but it has some sort of firmware on the card so that kinda makes me think that it isn't necessarily meant to be used with a super specific setup.

Maybe it does just use a special midi cable. 8 pins is plenty for midi in and stereo out.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25657 of 52618, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Katmai500 wrote:

Radeon 8500 128 MB with BGA memory. Unfortunately it's outputting more artifacts than actual video. It was advertised as fully working, but was shipped without an anti-static bag, so yeah. I've been having awful luck with ATi video cards lately. 😵

That's such a shame, the Radeon 8500 is a fantastic card (that I unfortunately don't have in my collection anymore 😢 )

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 25658 of 52618, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote:

Maybe it was a special add-on for some OEM system that had onboard sound.

I couldn't find any information about it whatsoever I should be able to look up the data sheet for the Crystal chips and see if I can figure it out, but it has some sort of firmware on the card so that kinda makes me think that it isn't necessarily meant to be used with a super specific setup.

Maybe it does just use a special midi cable. 8 pins is plenty for midi in and stereo out.

I like the sound of that Crystal chipset but yeah it might be more trouble than it's worth to get going. Fun project for a rainy day tho.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 25659 of 52618, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:
This weird Crystal wavetable add-on ISA board. […]
Show full quote

Looks like it only pulls power from the ISA bus and nothing else.

Also looks like it is supposed to hook up to a SB16 the same way a CT1920 (awe32 upgrade / goldfinch) card does.

Seller's photos cropped and rotated.

front.jpg
back.jpg

Looks like you've found a wavetable upgrade to go with onboard sound - ISA MIDI-only wavetable cards? pinout is fairly easy to find too (eg http://www.fermimn.gov.it/inform/materiali/ev … bd/28181703.pdf - see pages 17-18, this manual is for an Intel built VX motherboard).

So, a nice find! Have been after something similar for my HP Vectra XU, at least now have an idea of what to look for