Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 30280 of 52739, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bancho wrote:
Looking at the board there is a space for a coin battery holder. Can anyone advise if its possible to solder in a holder? Is the […]
Show full quote

Looking at the board there is a space for a coin battery holder. Can anyone advise if its possible to solder in a holder? Is there anything that needs to be done to the board?

W7GcD2al.jpg

Looks like that that 4 pin header next to the power connector is an external battery connector. If so, might be easier..

Nice board btw.

Edit: Yes, the manual says "J1: External Battery Connector". I'd use that.

http://www.motherboards.org/files/manuals/47/486vs8a.pdf

Reply 30281 of 52739, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is also nearby the CPU a spot for a voltage regulator. If you manage to find which should go there and install it, you'll be able to use DX4s.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 30283 of 52739, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Deksor wrote:

There is also nearby the CPU a spot for a voltage regulator. If you manage to find which should go there and install it, you'll be able to use DX4s.

I have one of these boards rev 8b, and it has the voltage regulator.
I could not get a good photo, but the regulator is marked LT1086CT if that helps.

Reply 30284 of 52739, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:

Received a nice Gigabyte GA-486VS motherboard today. Battery had been removed and the appears to be minimal to non corrosion. Board looks to be in great condition. It came with a DX2 66 and 8mb Ram.

I have one of these. Probably one of the best VLB motherboards of there time.
I really like the very descriptive and intuitive manual.
I have mine setup with an Intel-dx4-100 CPU.

Reply 30285 of 52739, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote:

Received a nice Gigabyte GA-486VS motherboard today. Battery had been removed and the appears to be minimal to non corrosion. Board looks to be in great condition. It came with a DX2 66 and 8mb Ram.

Nice, I have one of those too. I need to burn a BIOS for it but it's otherwise in great shape.

Do these have "large" disk support? If so, how large? Can they take an 8GB drive?

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 30286 of 52739, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bloody snipebots on eBay. Was highest bidder for a 3DLabs OxygenVX1-1600SW PCI until 1 sec before end 🙁

Did not buy that one. Did buy an xGecu TL866II Plus universal programmer though. Look forward to painless (E)EPROM flashing. Have a bit of a backlog too, so should be in for a fun afternoon 😀

Reply 30287 of 52739, by FuzzyLogic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dionb wrote:

Bloody snipebots on eBay. Was highest bidder for a 3DLabs OxygenVX1-1600SW PCI until 1 sec before end 🙁

It don't win 99% of the stuff I bid on nowadays. They have saved me a lot of money, so it's a mixed blessing.

Reply 30288 of 52739, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

2x Voodoo 2 12mb with SLI cable.
Socket 7 motherboard with pentium 100
4 sticks of unknown ram.
And the users manual for the mobo which will no doubt be a lifesaver!

Paid £20 and was assured that it all works. Now these are my first ever voodoo cards but I believe I can test them in my p3 pc as I have a male-female vga lead spare for the passthrough. The rest however will have to wait until I can source an AT power supply or see if ATX-AT adapters exist.

Whats-App-Image-2019-09-15-at-16-20-31.jpg

Anyone with any info on this motherboard (PCI54IT) would be appreciated as although this very similar to my first pc (a 486dx4) I have never built a machine pre pentium 3 so it could turn into an adventure.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 30289 of 52739, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Prometheus Aria 16 ISA (NOS) (1994)

ZaCPoB.jpg
f1Buqj.jpg
QByEdv.jpg

Turtle Beach CancunFX GM GS 64-Voice Wavetable Daugterboard (NOS) (1999)

qeXfW8.jpg
GzgKOt.jpg
T54FrG.jpg
OZaDKK.jpg
tmYIU2.jpg

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 30290 of 52739, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LewisRaz wrote:
2x Voodoo 2 12mb with SLI cable. Socket 7 motherboard with pentium 100 4 sticks of unknown ram. And the users manual for the mob […]
Show full quote

4 sticks of unknown ram.

Paid £20 and was assured that it all works.

Good gracious man. Great score for the price.

Reply 30292 of 52739, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dragonkn wrote:
I bought ISA ESS ES1868F filled with nice wavetable chip ES689F […]
Show full quote

I bought ISA ESS ES1868F filled with nice wavetable chip ES689F

Is this card rare or expensive? I got it very cheap, 8$

117049497.jpg

The wavetable version is uncommon, but not too rare. Still, a very nice card!

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 30293 of 52739, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dragonkn wrote:

I bought ISA ESS ES1868F filled with nice wavetable chip ES689F

Is this card rare or expensive? I got it very cheap, 8$

That would be a good price for an ES1868F board without wavetable. With wavetable you got yourself a great deal - although it's not exactly the most sought-after wavetable card/chipset.

Reply 30294 of 52739, by BaconPizza

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks, 😁

for my first post of the forum, I've picked up a computer on eBay, a 166MMX Pentium with an AN430TX motherboard:

intel-an430tx-motherboard-pentium-200_1_8b78107b71fc06151e56e5b04c3cf5d4.jpg

I'll add that's not my picture and it has a fan and not a heatsink. Not even sure you could have a heatsink with no fan on a 166MMX. If you can, I'll probably end up doing that. The quieter the better really!

Reply 30295 of 52739, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Artex wrote:
Prometheus Aria 16 ISA (NOS) (1994) https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1024x768q90/922/ZaCPoB.jpg https://imagizer.imageshack.co […]
Show full quote

Prometheus Aria 16 ISA (NOS) (1994)
ZaCPoB.jpg
f1Buqj.jpg
QByEdv.jpg

Nice. You get that off of eBay I am guessing?

I bought one on August 22nd. Then I see the sale reposted so I contacted the seller and asked about it. He said he found 5 in a warehouse and sold 4 of them within 10 minutes.

Yours actually looks like it may still be factory sealed. Mine was apparently resealed by Fry's Electronics on December 4, 1993. Mine also does not have any price stickers on it.

The Aria 16 cards I have boxed now are:
Aria 16 SE (not sealed)
Aria 16 (sealed, but store return or display model)
Viva Multimedia Maestro 16VR (sealed - should have the voice recognition chip(s) installed)

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30296 of 52739, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BaconPizza wrote:

Hello folks, 😁

for my first post of the forum,

Welcome 😀

I've picked up a computer on eBay, a 166MMX Pentium with an AN430TX motherboard: […]
Show full quote

I've picked up a computer on eBay, a 166MMX Pentium with an AN430TX motherboard:

intel-an430tx-motherboard-pentium-200_1_8b78107b71fc06151e56e5b04c3cf5d4.jpg

That site doesn't let you deeplink, so pic doesn't work here.

I'll add that's not my picture and it has a fan and not a heatsink. Not even sure you could have a heatsink with no fan on a 166MMX. If you can, I'll probably end up doing that. The quieter the better really!

Nice board for a P1, particularly if it has the Yamaha DS-XG onboard audio.

You can definitely run a P166MMX with a fanless heatsink, in fact they were regularly shipped with them back in the day. The small heatsinks common then got too hot for my liking, but you could get a bigger So7 or So370 heatsink designed to use a fan, and just leave off the fan. It would be overkill for a CPU like this but work fine with big safety margin.

Reply 30297 of 52739, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LewisRaz wrote:
2x Voodoo 2 12mb with SLI cable. Socket 7 motherboard with pentium 100 4 sticks of unknown ram. And the users manual for the mob […]
Show full quote

4 sticks of unknown ram.

Paid £20 and was assured that it all works. Now these are my first ever voodoo cards but I believe I can test them in my p3 pc as I have a male-female vga lead spare for the passthrough. The rest however will have to wait until I can source an AT power supply or see if ATX-AT adapters exist.

Anyone with any info on this motherboard (PCI54IT) would be appreciated as although this very similar to my first pc (a 486dx4) I have never built a machine pre pentium 3 so it could turn into an adventure.

Wow, congratulations, that is somewhat better than current ebay prices for a Voodoo II sli setup, did you buy locally or something?
ATX to AT adapters can be had for a couple of pounds, the only hassle is wiring up the power switch, because you'll need a toggle switch rather than a momentary one. You can bypass that by connecting the green and black wire together though.

On Friday, I received the *rather tanned* Roland SC-7 sound module, it looks EXACTLY like the picture, which is to say, rather brown, it works excellently though. Now I'll need to choose whether I want to keep the Roland SC-155 I got hold of, this one is a lot smaller and sounds exactly the same for what I'm doing with it.

20190914_113318.jpeg
Filename
20190914_113318.jpeg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

This time, I'll post what I did to it in the "What retro activity did you get up to today?" thread 😀

Reply 30298 of 52739, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a cute device.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 30299 of 52739, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You wouldn't guess it by just the looks but it's one of the fastest ISA VGAs 😀

Cirrus-Logic-CL-GD5402.jpg

I'll replace the TVGA9000 in my 386SX build with this. It did not POST with a 5401 before though, so this may not work either. That board seems to have issues with VGAs that don't have onboard oscillators, for whatever reason. Has anyone ever had this issue? Apparently OS2 Museum also had it happen with a Cirrus Logic card, which is very strange.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.