Topic actions

Reply 5820 of 52754, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fyy wrote:
retrofanatic wrote:

An ATI all in wonder 9600 PRO (this is my second boxed one I own now). I used this card in my main rig setup (s478 Gigabyte 8KNXP and ASUS P4C800) for over 7 years before moving on to a Core 2 Duo just 3 years ago and it never let me down. I do prefer NVidia for the most part, but I have a soft spot for this card...

$_57 (12).JPG

No fan? My little 9600 XT had a fan!

Pah, so does the Sapphire 9550 card (tiny whiny thing, but it was a fan) that I used in my P4 tower before that system died, although we do/did have another 9550 that was passive cooled.

Last edited by Lukeno94 on 2014-12-17, 00:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5821 of 52754, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fyy wrote:

No fan? My little 9600 XT had a fan!

No, both of my 9600PRO all in wonders don't have fans. I never had an issue though...like I said, I used the card for years and it still works like new to this day.

I think it may have to do with the fact that the XT (your card) has a core speed of 500mhz, while the 9600PRO is 400mhz....not sure if that makes much of a difference 😕...who knows...all I know is that my AIW never ran that hot.

Reply 5822 of 52754, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Went to pick up a couple of auctions that I won on eBay for local pickup. First up, a "1993 computer with monitor, keyboard and mouse", listed with a few pics and not much more info. Starting bid 1eur, might as well go for it, I was after an AT chassis to build a Pentium into. Once getting it home I saw that it's pretty clean and in good nick! Came with a Highscreen 14" CRT, generic keyboard and a Microsoft serial mouse. Nice looking Highscreen case, quite handsome IMO:

SKpAm9r.jpg

Looking around the back... doesn't look like there's much in here.

Akb59RP.jpg

Popped the top and I was surprised by how spotless it is inside. Cables nicely managed, not a spec of dust!

z0Wflj5.jpg

Turns out it's an AMD Am486DX4-100, and it booted into Win98 with the typical CMOS battery error. Don't know much about 486s (my first computer as a kid was a Pentium MMX 166), but from what I can gather the motherboard is quite a good one! Other than that, it's a solid base for my build!

Mobo: ECS UM8810P-AIO Rev1.1
CPU: AMD Am486DX4-100 (100MHz, 33MHz FSB)
RAM: 4x4MB SIMMs
Video: STB Cirrus Logic 5430/40 PCI
HDD: Seagate 545MB
CDROM: Toshiba XM-5302B

Second pickup for the night was for a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro joystick, with it's power adapter, driver CD and Mechwarrior 3.

XHEy3Y4.jpg

The guy selling it was really happy for it to find a home and for someone to get some use out of it! He said he has some other stuff and a Pentium 4 that he wants to get rid of too. Wasn't interested in the P4 but he came up with a dusty set of 3 expansion cards - a Diamond Monster 3D II 8MB with loop cable, an ATI 3D Rage Pro (I think 4MB) and an AWE32 CT3900 with 2x4MB SIMMs! He asked if the Voodoo card was worth anything, I told him about 15 or 20 bucks (didn't want to screw him around, he was a decent guy), and he just says "the other two don't look like they're worth anything, you can have the lot for 20eur". I was stoked! I'd almost given up on finding an AWE32 for cheap, and it jumps into my hands from nowhere.

After a cleanup:

EwwRkAe.jpg

Also, a couple of AGP cards came in the mail today. Firstly, a Voodoo3 3000:

FXPVwWF.jpg

And an ASUS V8460 Ultra (Geforce4 Ti4600) with a massive Zalman cooler, in the box with the manual and driver CD:

scaif5E.jpg

0SgIPch.jpg

Very happy this week!

Reply 5824 of 52754, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Lukeno94 wrote:

Nice finds there! I wonder how hot or cold that GeForce Ti 4600 card runs with that cooler.

Haven't tried it yet - it doesn't fit on any of my AGP boards! They're all Slot 1. I was hoping it might fit but it unfortunately fouls on the CPUs of both my single and dual P3 builds.

Reply 5825 of 52754, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrofanatic wrote:
Yes, they come in very handy...it's nice to have everything connected, so you don't have to mess around with switching cables al […]
Show full quote
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Hmm, looking at that KVM switch, makes me realize I need to get a nice switch for all my systems. Especially if I want to try to use the same monitor and keyboard for a lot of systems. 🤣

Yes, they come in very handy...it's nice to have everything connected, so you don't have to mess around with switching cables all the time.

I find a lot of the KVM switches I get now for a lot of time for less than $10 at a local recycler. They are very expensive new and for a while it was hard for me to find any at a reasonable price.

One of the reasons I have so many now is because I can get them for so cheap now, but also it's because I am always looking for one that does not degrade the quality of the image too much.

As you may know, if you are looking for KVM's, keep in mind that many have a limit of the resolution you can feed through it. Some KVMs I have only allow up to 160x768 or 1600x1200 and some will allow up to 2048x1536 resolutions, (which is the most I would ever need for my modern systems).

Well I am not sure what resolutions are supported by the Belkin 8-Port F1D108-OSD KVM switch, but I just bought one. I hope this is a good start. 🤣 Especially for $20

Reply 5827 of 52754, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Well I am not sure what resolutions are supported by the Belkin 8-Port F1D108-OSD KVM switch, but I just bought one. I hope this is a good start. 🤣 Especially for $20

I like that belkin kvm...I have 3 of those because I found a great deal and just had to buy them all... $20 is a good deal. It handles up to 1600x1200 and the great thing about that belkin model is that it has a built in serial to ps/2 converter for each mouse connection on each of the 8 ports....making it a perfect kvm for using both retro and modern systems together.

SquallStrife wrote:

Awesome find. Old ibm software is becoming more collectable from what I have seen lately. Those software packages are so heavy you could almost say it's hardware 🤣.

Reply 5828 of 52754, by ReeseRiverson

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

Why am I just now finding about your Twitter account? 🤣

retrofanatic wrote:
ReeseRiverson wrote:

I like that belkin kvm...I have 3 of those because I found a great deal and just had to buy them all... $20 is a good deal. It handles up to 1600x1200 and the great thing about that belkin model is that it has a built in serial to ps/2 converter for each mouse connection on each of the 8 ports....making it a perfect kvm for using both retro and modern systems together.

Awesome! I'm definitely excited now. 😀 I would have wished for 1920 x 1200 being capable but the majority of my older machines wouldn't even touch 1600 x 1200 on the desktop screen, let alone games. 🤣

Reply 5829 of 52754, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly a hardware purchase... but my Dell Optiplex GX270, after being stored for the last 12 weeks or so, decided that it was going to overclock itself by 25%. Got some impressive benchmarks when it wasn't throttling back heavily (2.833 GHz P4 beating a Athlon64 3200+), but when it did throttle, it was trounced by a Transmeta CPU.

Back on topic: the KVM thing is a good idea - for me, I'd never need one that goes as high as 1920x1200, because my biggest screen is 1920x1080! Neither of my older desktops would run any game at those resolutions, simply because any game old enough to run that high wouldn't support such a resolution.

Reply 5830 of 52754, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ReeseRiverson wrote:

Why am I just now finding about your Twitter account? 🤣

I dunno man, it's right there in my signature! 😜

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 5831 of 52754, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CT-3900 is an awesome card. 'Have one in my Dos rig.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 5832 of 52754, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got my MS-6905 Master slot 1 adaptor today. It doesn't seem to work with my Abit BX6 2.0 and Pentium III 933. I've ordered a PIII 1000E to see if it works better with a 100 MHz FSB CPU. If that doesn't work, then I'll just stick to using a slot 1 CPU. I can just use my CUSL2 if I need a Pentium III faster than 800 MHz.

Edit: Got my 1000E a little while after making this post. No life with that CPU either. All jumpers on the slotket are at their default/auto position, the coppermine-256 setting is bridged, and I think I'm using the latest bios. More parts for my parts pile I guess. 😀

dexter311 wrote:

And an ASUS V8460 Ultra (Geforce4 Ti4600) with a massive Zalman cooler, in the box with the manual and driver CD:

I bought that for my Radeon 9600 back in 2004. The plan was to overclock the GPU, but I realise now that it was a little silly since all I had to do was strap a fan to the already fanless 9600, or go up a step and spend the same money I spent on a 9600 + that zalman on a higher tier graphics card.

It is still a pretty sweet cooler. 😀

Reply 5833 of 52754, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
joacim wrote:

I got my MS-6905 Master slot 1 adaptor today. It doesn't seem to work with my Abit BX6 2.0 and Pentium III 933. I've ordered a PIII 1000E to see if it works better with a 100 MHz FSB CPU. If that doesn't work, then I'll just stick to using a slot 1 CPU. I can just use my CUSL2 if I need a Pentium III faster than 800 MHz.

I use these slotkets, the last few from the same German seller you got yours from and my experience is that they work on pretty much every motherboard (as long as the motherboard can supply the core voltage you jumper the slotket for).

I use a pin modded Tualeron 1400 with this slotket on an early revison of Abit BH6 and it works great. Perhaps the default jumper settings on the slotket isnt the ones you need. I always jumper the slotket for correct voltage and FSB (or as close to the correct voltage the motherboard can supply).

In your case I would try to jumper the slotket for 100 MHz FSB (even with a 133 MHz Coppermine CPU) and also set the voltage to 1.8V on the slotket (even pretty old versions of the VRM standrad supports 1.8V). This should make the system post.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5834 of 52754, by dexter311

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another eBay goodie arrived last night, and it's another Geforce with a massive cooler - the MSI FX5950Ultra VTD256. It has a large gold-coloured cooler and fan on the front:

KO7CQi7.jpg

And another large gold-coloured cooler and fan on the back!

gmQZfXt.jpg

Unlike the ASUS V8460 Ultra and it's massive Zalman cooler, this one actually fits in my dual P3 build, but it's extremely tight!

ZcgSNXc.jpg

Gotta get a molex extender so I can test out this bad boy.

Reply 5835 of 52754, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Skyscraper wrote:

In your case I would try to jumper the slotket for 100 MHz FSB (even with a 133 MHz Coppermine CPU) and also set the voltage to 1.8V on the slotket (even pretty old versions of the VRM standrad supports 1.8V). This should make the system post.

I messed around with the jumpers some more now. Set the FSB to both auto and 100 MHz, with and without the coppermine-256 jumper, set the voltage to auto, 1.75V, and 1.8V. Still no life. I even tried a bios reset.

http://www.msi-computer.co.jp/manual/6905Masterv10.pdf <- This is the documentation I followed. It matches the one on the box (except the box doesn't say anything about a coppermine-256 setting).

Reply 5836 of 52754, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
joacim wrote:
Skyscraper wrote:

I messed around with the jumpers some more now. Set the FSB to both auto and 100 MHz, with and without the coppermine-256 jumper, set the voltage to auto, 1.75V, and 1.8V. Still no life. I even tried a bios reset.

http://www.msi-computer.co.jp/manual/6905Masterv10.pdf <- This is the documentation I followed. It matches the one on the box (except the box doesn't say anything about a coppermine-256 setting).

Then I have no idea what the issue is 🙁

I see no reason for the board to care whether the Coppermine sits on a FCPGA-slotket or a normal Slot-1 package.
If the motherboards VRM cant support the voltage it wont post (or in worst case go up in smoke) but this should be the same with a Slot-1 package and the slotket.

There are lots of BAD slotkets but the MSI 6905 Master is one of the good ones.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 5837 of 52754, by joacim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe it is my motherboard. It seems stable in games and when running Windows Me, but it have been a little strange in other ways. I might make a thread about it, instead of talking about it here. 😀

Reply 5839 of 52754, by Private_Ops

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got my hands on a DFI Itox Pentium M board. Was listed for bout 20 bucks but, didnt pay a thing. Fiance bought it as an early christmas present (love that woman).

Eventually will get a new heatsink (current one is a rigged 370 cooler) and a Pentium M 770.

Attachments

• Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    2.85 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception