VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 25660 of 52352, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yup, looks like it essentially uses wavetable daughterboard pins for MIDI and analog audio but sources power from the ISA bus. I suspect it'll work with a reworked cable in a waveblaster header.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 25661 of 52352, by keenerb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenerb wrote:
Intergraph TD-300 desktop system. […]
Show full quote

Intergraph TD-300 desktop system.

Not sure what it is exactly, it has a pretty astonishing variety of integrated ports on the back, and two video cards I don't immediately recognize from the backplane. Looking for technical documentation now. Powers on, but my monitors are all in storage (moving) so I can't really tell if it's functional..

rpgnIPC.jpg

9qklFHU.jpg

Opened this thing up last night, both cards are indeed Matrox Milleniums. Millenia?

It also powers on and self-tests fine, a Pentium Pro with 32mb of memory. The CD-ROM had an Epic Pinball disc inserted, so nice bonus there.

It seems to be all-SCSI, no IDE connector in sight, and the hard drive is missing. I'm assuming an IDE controller can be added if necessary, but I'm not positive.

Nice number of expansion slots, two PCI and three ISA. This might be a great late MSDOS-era gaming box, should be about P-166MMX speed, right?

Reply 25662 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not bad specs right there. That'll be a good candidate for MS-DOS gaming. Make sure the sound card that's integrated supports Sound Blaster 16 capabilities or equivalent.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 25664 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How about both?

Reply 25665 of 52352, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yesterday I was looking at this nice i440LX board and made a $75 offer for it (which is really fair):

greedy ebay seller b.jpg
Filename
greedy ebay seller b.jpg
File size
77.68 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

My offer was rejected and the seller wrote that something is wrong with the ad. This is how the ad looks today:

greedy ebay seller a.jpg
Filename
greedy ebay seller a.jpg
File size
154.32 KiB
Views
File license

😳

I tried to make a couple higher offers up to $100 but they were all rejected. That's really the limit for me.

So I wrote a message back that a 50% price increase is not really justified because it's not some hot item that everyone wants or needs now (also see low price sold listings, number of listings for sale, the availability of more advanced i440BX boards everywhere).

Time for plan B.. so later today I bought this one:

greedy ebay seller c.jpg
Filename
greedy ebay seller c.jpg
File size
63.48 KiB
Views
File license

Naturally I've sent the American seller a message with proof of purchase of the same board (even same revision) for much less money 🤣 🤣

Reply 25668 of 52352, by stamasd

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bought some IDE cables, run-of-the-mill 40-wire ones. Yes, I'm running out of them.

I/O, I/O,
It's off to disk I go,
With a bit and a byte
And a read and a write,
I/O, I/O

Reply 25669 of 52352, by shiva2004

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SpectriaForce wrote:
Yesterday I was looking at this nice i440LX board and made a $75 offer for it (which is really fair): […]
Show full quote

Yesterday I was looking at this nice i440LX board and made a $75 offer for it (which is really fair):

greedy ebay seller b.jpg

My offer was rejected and the seller wrote that something is wrong with the ad. This is how the ad looks today:

greedy ebay seller a.jpg

😳

I tried to make a couple higher offers up to $100 but they were all rejected. That's really the limit for me.

So I wrote a message back that a 50% price increase is not really justified because it's not some hot item that everyone wants or needs now (also see low price sold listings, number of listings for sale, the availability of more advanced i440BX boards everywhere).

Time for plan B.. so later today I bought this one:

greedy ebay seller c.jpg

Naturally I've sent the American seller a message with proof of purchase of the same board (even same revision) for much less money 🤣 🤣

I've seen this behaviour more than once, as soon as you show interest in something some vendors put the price through the roof, I'll never understant that way of thinking: "Hey, I'm selling something for 100$ and someone offered me 80$, I'm going to rise the price to 150$ and I'm sure he'll offer 120$" If I was willing to pay that kind of money I would have payed the 100$ for starters, moron. And then they protest because people made them lose time without buying, of course...

Reply 25670 of 52352, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shiva2004 wrote:

I've seen this behaviour more than once, as soon as you show interest in something some vendors put the price through the roof, I'll never understant that way of thinking: "Hey, I'm selling something for 100$ and someone offered me 80$, I'm going to rise the price to 150$ and I'm sure he'll offer 120$" If I was willing to pay that kind of money I would have payed the 100$ for starters, moron. And then they protest because people made them lose time without buying, of course...

Yep, idiots...

I'm currently hitting the same on an obscure UMC VLB I/O + VGA board. Seller had it up for USD 60 "or best offer". So I offered USD 40 (which was already probably too much for normally unwanted low-end crap). He rejected it, now he's asking USD 75 🙁

But given I've sold quite a bit of stuff myself recently, I decided I was going to treat myself to something, so bought a PAS16. Will post pics when it arrives 😀

Reply 25671 of 52352, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shiva2004 wrote:

I've had a great laugh 😉

I don't understand it either. On eBay you can find many listings for i440LX boards, even for this specific Asus P2L97. Besides most people interested in a slot 1 board go for a i440BX. Hence a NOS i440LX is really a niche product for someone like me who wants to build a period correct system. Yes, even such people have their limits, I'm not a millionaire (yet) 😊

Reply 25672 of 52352, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I just sold an ASUS CUBX with a P3/700, Quadro FX1000, PCI sound card, USB2 PCI card, floppy drive, DVD-ROM, power supply, extra P3/733, and two extra video cards (Radeon 9200SE & Geforce 2MX), all tested & working ... for $20. There is no way in hell a P2L97 is worth over a hundred bucks. They are nice boards, but not three digits nice.

78121640_614.jpg
^^ dude got a deal to be sure, but I doubt I could have gotten enough off Ebay to make boxing this all up & shipping it worthwhile. It was literally sitting around collecting dust & taking up space.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25674 of 52352, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fair enough, didn't see it was NEW in box and not just ... in box. You never know with ebay sellers though.

BTW my VFX-1 rig is powered by a P2L97(-S). I got it for free, but it wasn't new. 😜

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 25675 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I once saw an Aztech BX-II card listed for $7.50. It was missing a bunch of caps so I figured sure, I'll get it and replace the caps and see if it works.

After I bought it, the seller cancelled my order and then promptly relisted it for $75... He got a nasty-gram from me after saying that the price was a mistake.

Who doesn't check their listings once they put them up?

I've also seen where people have an auction with a reserve. They then wait to see how high the bidding goes and then relist it as a BIN sale for even more.

Is it really worth their time to do so? Most of the time I have actually watched these idiotic things, they never sell.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25676 of 52352, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some people that sell older sound cards or hardware that are as-is would sell the system or part for about $5, then they cancel everyone's orders, up the price to $50 starting bid, no reserve, buy it now, or even make an offer. If someone did that to me, I'd file a complaint and get them taken off for good and banned permanently as well. Unlike some people, I have parts to buy for my car and save a few coppers and bills and purchase some used parts, such as a CD drive, sound card, anything. Thrift stores, too. I was lucky to get a 486 for $17, which might be worth more than that after upgrading and installing hardware that I have (CF-IDE adapter, backup tape drive, CD ROM (not period correct), dual floppy drive, 3 sound cards + DB50XG Daughterboard, 1 Ethernet card (original owner added that), DX4100 OverDrive, and 32MB RAM)

Reply 25677 of 52352, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A loose board I wouldn't pay $20 for.

Virgins valued quite high, huh?

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 25678 of 52352, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

OMG have you seen the prices on ebay? They are all so expensive unless you get them from eastern europe.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 25679 of 52352, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

OMG have you seen the prices on ebay? They are all so expensive unless you get them from eastern europe.

Hmmm, most of the time, the shipping cost from Europe is quite high.

Most of the boards I have gotten have been from the USA and I refuse to pay stupid prices for old hardware.

There are some sellers that price stuff through the roof. Some of those same sellers also have web stores with the same exact price.

There are also those sellers that price stuff super high and then drop the price a bit each time it expires until it sells.

And then there are those sellers that price stuff at what I would consider super low prices because they really don't know what they have and just want to get rid of it. Those are the sellers I like the most.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK