User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pabloz wrote:
god damn! i could not resist! […]
Show full quote

god damn!
i could not resist!

i entered an old pc shop where they treat old PCs looking for a cheap heatsink.
and i saw this beauty inside a pc case on the floor, and i thought ..nice a REAL GOOD geforce4 card,...gf4 4200
paid 13 bucks and left

when i came back home i was so mistaken..its not a 4200, its a 4600 or a 4800 !!
and there is no way to differenciate them by looking at the card?

geforce.jpg

Looks like my card Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today unfurtunately mine came without original cooler in a pretty bad shape. Nevermind the "SE" suffix, it's a good overclocker, my card easily hits 300 MHz GPU /650 MHz memory clocks (not tried any further, so it is not at it's maximum, because the card is now replaced for a 5900XT).

Reply 22461 of 52727, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Spotted a lot of 23 kg for 50€ 30 Minutes away from me this morning. Just picked it up. 20 kg of it was totally disgusting and useless stuff like PCB from old TVs etc...will get rid of this again asap.

But then we have...

IMG_0953r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0953r.jpg
File size
919.24 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

... a really cool full-size 386/387 board
... Socket 3 Overdrive in a useless Siemens board
... nice 486+586 boards with CPUs

IMG_0955r.jpg
Filename
IMG_0955r.jpg
File size
1.01 MiB
Views
File license

...ET4000 VLB
...2 MFM/RLL Controllers
...Mozart+Crystal Sound Cards..

...and some other cards not that interesting. All in good condition considering it was packed with junk.

Hope I will get 50€ back when selling the remainung parts and get all this for +-0 😎

EDIT: Shit the 386 Board is useless without the memory expansion card 🙁 But its alive...
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/MI … 86-I-CACHE.html

Reply 22462 of 52727, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not retro (modern), but for a retro system. Purchased 2x A/V cables from 8bitclassics.com (USA) that has s-video, composite, and audio (8-pin DIN 262) for my Commodore 64 in case I need to redo the A/V cable I made for my C64.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22463 of 52727, by mv_cz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was initially planing to purchase some "better" GF4 MX card, since my GF2 MX is slowly dying and GeForce 2 GTS/Ti/Ultra are hard to get. Found a seller on our local "craigslist" and ended with these:

- Abit GeForce 4MX 440 (on the back of the card, there is 440SE printed 🙁 , so we will see in what way it is crippled) - this was the card which lead me to the seller (i hope Abit has better quality VGA output than my noname GF2MX card), but he send me photos of another cards he had
- Chaintech GF3 Ti200 128 MB Gold Edition - yes this card has golden backplate, golden ports and pretty beefy golden heatsink
- some ATi X800 card I wasn't much interested into, but couldn't resist to let it be, for the price. Turns out to be an ATi X800 XT PE edition (btw it's only 80 grams heavier than the Chaintech GF3 card, so you can imagine how much alluminium is dedicated to cool down the GF3Ti)

DSC03176.JPG
Filename
DSC03176.JPG
File size
669.93 KiB
Views
File license

And he had some soundcards too, so I took this one to complement my Super7 build.

DSC03180.JPG
Filename
DSC03180.JPG
File size
581.05 KiB
Views
File license

Paid 16 EUR for all the graphics cards and another 8 EUR for the AWE64. He also had an ESS1868 card but I did not take it, think I have now more than enough cards. Hopefully most of these are working, picked up it locally, he perfectly wrapped it and told me, those card were working long time ago, before he stored it. So I will se, bad weather forecast for weekend = good forecast for testing 😊

Reply 22464 of 52727, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since there was some dissatisfaction with my previously bought 4MX from some of my friends, I fired up eBay, and bought something, against what they cannot say a bloody word 🤣

Ti4200.jpg

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 22:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 22465 of 52727, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that a Ti series card (GeForce4), or am I wrong? Beauty, eh!

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 22466 of 52727, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Should be receiving a Yamaha YS-200 FM synthesizer keyboard in the coming weeks. That's a basically a Yamaha TX-81Z 4-operator FM synth with a fairly fancy keyboard attached. 4-operator FM is Yamaha's next step up from 2-operator FM (as found in most of their FM Portasound keyboards and FM chips). Keyboard itself only cost me 50 bucks, but shipping from Japan is going to be a bitch 😵 .

Reply 22467 of 52727, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Is that a Ti series card (GeForce4), or am I wrong? Beauty, eh!

Yep, GeForce4 Ti4200, with 64MB RAM.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 22468 of 52727, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got me some more cpus/fpus:

KabnQBbl.jpg

Finally got an IIT 487DLX25/50 - a X2 FPU for 386DX boards 😀 There are also other "rare" chips in the bunch.

Now all I need is TIME to test about 100 cpus I got in about 6-7 months. Some have badly bent pins. It will take some time to straighten them - I just hope they work 😉

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 22469 of 52727, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A pack of 100 7"x15" anti-static bags came today. I had ordered 7"x10" bags, but the seller ran out and offered a free upgrade to the larger bags. Ohhh yeah!

Now I have bags that are the right size for full-length ISA cards.

Just in time for the big lot of ISA sound cards that are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

7x15.JPG
Filename
7x15.JPG
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22470 of 52727, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote:
A pack of 100 7"x15" anti-static bags came today. I had ordered 7"x10" bags, but the seller ran out and offered a free upgrade t […]
Show full quote

A pack of 100 7"x15" anti-static bags came today. I had ordered 7"x10" bags, but the seller ran out and offered a free upgrade to the larger bags. Ohhh yeah!

Just in time for the big lot of ISA sound cards that are supposed to arrive tomorrow.

7x15.JPG

I found the motherboard-sized bags to be the most useful ones.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22471 of 52727, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
A pack of 100 7"x15" anti-static bags came today. I had ordered 7"x10" bags, but the seller ran out and offered a free upgrade t […]
Show full quote

7x15.JPG

Creates a lot of very not fun folding when you put smaller items in them though.

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 22472 of 52727, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And the smaller ones are a lot cheaper as well.

The 7"x10" (inside size) are good for pretty much all cards except full length cards.

The 7"x15" will be perfect for the larger cards.

I really hate sticking cards in motherboard bags. Takes up way too much space, you can't see through the bags once they are all folded up, and they are a hassle in general to use for smaller items.

I could use a few motherboard bags for motherboards but I really don't want to dish out the money for those larger bags.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 22473 of 52727, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yesterday I answered the call of this craigslist ad: https://denver.craigslist.org/sys/d/apple-ii- … 6527834496.html I always get a kick out of europeans when they drive. They can usually drive for an hour, and be in a different country. I drive to this place (almost) https://goo.gl/maps/thEDeRXpFhw Only 125 miles, one way, and still in the same state (denial). A stark reminder of how there is nothing between Denver and Kansas city besides wheat, corn, cattle, and depression.

Anyway, he said there were blue vertical bars in the display output. This was true with his cables, mine were better suited and there is a slight video error, but its rather minor. Probably a out-of-spec cap or resistor, because once every 10s seconds or so the screen will flash off for half a second and continue. Anyway here are some pictures:

6OoJPeRm.jpg 9xx7jvfm.jpg rdRrmbIm.jpg VWdOb1Nm.jpg

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 22475 of 52727, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:
Show full quote

7x15.JPG

Creates a lot of very not fun folding when you put smaller items in them though.

Still better then something simply not fitting in there 🤣
I can put 2 longer cards or 3 smaller ones in there, somewhat offsetting the increased cost of the bags. I'll usually fill the bag with identical items and/or fold them in such a way that it's recognizable from outside the bag, though larger cards usually end up stored in small quantities in their own labeled box anyway.

Same thing with memory modules. Since I have so many memory modules I (obviously) use a single bag in 2 smaller stacks and insert those into the bags.
I ended up preferring the size that is just big enough for 3.5in harddrives or floppy drives.

Before I got any new ones, I was making due with the ones I found or in some other way ended up into my hands. At some point I realized I needed a real solution to make life easier and because I didn't really know what would work out or not, I bought 6 different sizes of new ESD bags 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 22476 of 52727, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know many here do not consider the P4 worthy of any attention, but I still like these heat packers especially when outiftted with quirkier equipment, like RDRamm.

So today I found the perfect mate for my quirkiest of all P4 mainboards (the P4t533R with 232 pins 32-bit PC4200 RDRAM): an Intel confidential 2.4 GHz/533 QLY8ES A4 for 5 €.

At the same spot I picked up 2*256 Rdram (regular 16-bit), two continuity rimms and a further unidentifiable 80486 (probably intel) with an attached heatsink which seems to be nonremovable.

Any ideas how to identify it withhout having to pry off the heatsink?

Reply 22477 of 52727, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this weird flight stick from a flea market for 2€. At first I thought it was a chinese Suncom knock off, but looking at the pictures (and insides) of some of the later models makes me think it might be the real deal. It's sad to see how far the quality dropped from the insanely rugged TCS to this light and cheap looking thing. Still, at that price it was a no-brainer.

sunny.jpg
Filename
sunny.jpg
File size
784.17 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 22478 of 52727, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just received a beautiful Siemens Nixdorf PCD-4N in working condition with original bag and power brick. Specs as follows:

- i486SX 25MHz
- 4 MB RAM
- 120 MB HDD
- 512 kB Video
- 640x480 monochrome LC display
- PCMCIA slot
- Slimline floppy drive

Looks preety sleek compared to some of its chunky competitors back in the day... 😉

Attachments

• IMG_9037.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9037.JPG
    File size
    217.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_9039.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9039.JPG
    File size
    296.33 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_9041.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9041.JPG
    File size
    204.11 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_9042.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9042.JPG
    File size
    202.77 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • IMG_9043.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_9043.JPG
    File size
    243.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by blurks on 2018-03-17, 18:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 22479 of 52727, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this SoundBlaster Pro 2 for around 10 bucks with shipping.

l5PJjNkm.jpg

Heard a lot of praise about this card, but I am actually not sure what kind of build should this card go into.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog