Reply 17500 of 52730, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
CkRtech wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Found a Diamond MX300 Aureal Vortex 2 PCI for $15 not sure if worrh it though..

Tear the SBLive out of your 1998 machine, throw it away, and put in the MX300.

Well.. ok but why?

The Vortex cards allow you to use A3D audio which is really nice. Better than EAX from creative, and the two aren't compatible. Plus, how cool is it to say you've got a monster audio sound card in your rig.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17501 of 52730, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ imho telling you've got a Quadzilla is even cooler though

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 17502 of 52730, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xplus93 wrote:
appiah4 wrote:

Well.. ok but why?

The Vortex cards allow you to use A3D audio which is really nice. Better than EAX from creative, and the two aren't compatible. Plus, how cool is it to say you've got a monster audio sound card in your rig.

Does it support sf2 soundfonts for GM in games like the Live!

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 17503 of 52730, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CkRtech wrote:
Deksor wrote:

@Predator99

I wonder if that card could be fixed, maybe the traces aren't damaged too badly and all it would need would be a good cleaning ?

It looks like it could be quite a challenge - he could clean the corrosion and rust off and see what is still left underneath...

Hehe yes sure I will try and already made some cleaning and it looks much better now. However no idea how to get rid of the remaing parts. Tried vinegar, water with detergent, alcohol, benzine...and put the outer parts in an ultrasonic batch. Nothing to loose here 😉

IMG_9990r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9990r.jpg
File size
1.43 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
IMG_9991r.JPG
Filename
IMG_9991r.JPG
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license

Gave it a try...as expected it is not detected.

Traces does not seem to look this bad. However, at least one resistor is missing and most of the caps also seem to be destroyed.

IMG_9994r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9994r.jpg
File size
1.62 MiB
Views
File license
IMG_9997r.jpg
Filename
IMG_9997r.jpg
File size
2.45 MiB
Views
File license

Good news: The OPL2 card survived the cleaning procedure and is running 😀

Reply 17504 of 52730, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:

A3D is a gimmick. At least the SBLive has a passable midi synth - the vortex cards... not so much.

Reply 17505 of 52730, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Predator99 wrote:
Hehe yes sure I will try and already made some cleaning and it looks much better now. However no idea how to get rid of the rema […]
Show full quote
CkRtech wrote:
Deksor wrote:

@Predator99

I wonder if that card could be fixed, maybe the traces aren't damaged too badly and all it would need would be a good cleaning ?

It looks like it could be quite a challenge - he could clean the corrosion and rust off and see what is still left underneath...

Hehe yes sure I will try and already made some cleaning and it looks much better now. However no idea how to get rid of the remaing parts. Tried vinegar, water with detergent, alcohol, benzine...and put the outer parts in an ultrasonic batch. Nothing to loose here 😉

IMG_9990r.jpg
IMG_9991r.JPG

Gave it a try...as expected it is not detected.

Traces does not seem to look this bad. However, at least one resistor is missing and most of the caps also seem to be destroyed.

IMG_9994r.jpg
IMG_9997r.jpg

Good news: The OPL2 card survived the cleaning procedure and is running 😀

Go to an auto parts store and buy some battery acid (might be sold as "car battery electrolyte") and some WD40 Contact Cleaner (not the blue can, the silver one). using a toothbrush and the battery acid, scrub the rust and oxide off the card. Don't let the acid stay on the card too long. Put some on, rub with toothbrush and rinse it off using the WD40 contact cleaner.

The battery acid (H2SO4 20% solution) inactivates the rust and the WD40 contact cleaner cleans off what's left, as well as the white acid salt deposits.

If battery electrolyte is not sold in your country get a hold of an old car battery and crack it open 😀 - or see if you can get some vitriol (H2SO4) or nitric acid (HNO3) solution from a pharmacy. Make sure they are diluted (20% for the vitriol, 10% for the nitric acid) or it will start to eat trought the copper. And use gloves.

Reply 17506 of 52730, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

@xjas

the ls-120 drive will be IDE. The dongle is a "standard" usb>ide adapter, with a special connector.

Oh cool, I'll open it up and see if I can "break out" a standard 40-pin interface in that case. I did find this pic on another site which I guess illustrates what I'm dealing with.

SuperDisk_Mac_-_USB_to_IDE_adapter.jpg
Filename
SuperDisk_Mac_-_USB_to_IDE_adapter.jpg
File size
126.49 KiB
Views
File license

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 17507 of 52730, by deleted_Rc

User metadata
dexvx wrote:

And they're gone. Yes, if you snipe eBay auctions you can get a lot of stuff for cheap, doesn't mean thats the going rate. Also, my Asus V6800 filter might be broken. 2nd time one has gotten away where it doesn't even show up.

The last did show up with mine. And you say sniping but that doesn't explain why my GeForce 256 which was described as such was up for sale for more then a month with plenty of viewers.
I still need to check other oem cards but 3 different oem cards gave results of 20-40 not 80-100 as claimed here. The 64 mb versions could maybe be sold for those prices but unlikely imo.

Reply 17508 of 52730, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Everyone are looking for a DDR version of GeForce 256. SDR not so much.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17509 of 52730, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote:

The SDR version seems to be rarer, though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 17510 of 52730, by xplus93

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

That's all I see on ebay though. except for the two asus ones and the hercules one in the box.

XPS 466V|486-DX2|64MB|#9 GXE 1MB|SB32 PnP
Presario 4814|PMMX-233|128MB|Trio64
XPS R450|PII-450|384MB|TNT2 Pro| TB Montego
XPS B1000r|PIII-1GHz|512MB|GF2 PRO 64MB|SB Live!
XPS Gen2|P4 EE 3.4|2GB|GF 6800 GT OC|Audigy 2

Reply 17511 of 52730, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xplus93 wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

That's all I see on ebay though. except for the two asus ones and the hercules one in the box.

I only found the SDR version on ebay and the only Geforce 256 card i got is the SDR one

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 17513 of 52730, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How much gold is in these?

Less than a gram.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 17514 of 52730, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Today was a good day.

I got a g400 max, voodoo1 and cross over cable, a 440lx AT motherboard 400 mhz celeron and a Promise ATA133 card.

The Serpent Rider wrote:

How much gold is in these?

Less than a gram.

Even less after recovery, I scrap dead hardware. gold recovery is a joke your never make money on your own.

Reply 17515 of 52730, by elod

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jade Falcon wrote:

Today was a good day.

I got a g400 max, voodoo1 and cross over cable, a 440lx AT motherboard 400 mhz celeron and a Promise ATA133 card.

Less than a gram.

Nice. Voodoos somehow elude me.
Was just joking, I'd never consider scrapping PPros. Hopefully it works. Seems tó be pretty standard EATX.

Reply 17516 of 52730, by Jade Falcon

User metadata
Rank BANNED
Rank
BANNED

Good to hear it was a joke.

You should never scrap old parts that are fixable or working.
Ether way only way to make money on gold recovery is if you really got you stuff in line and work on a big scale. Then you have to refine the gold. At the end of the day your not making much. I'll say it again and again, to make money with gold recovery and PC parts you have to go full sale commercial.

Reply 17517 of 52730, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got an Aztech Sound Galaxy WaveRider Pro 32-3D (non-PnP) AZT2316R about a week ago, installed new jacks since the ones that were on there went bad, and it has issues with the left speaker having lower volume than the right speaker. I removed the two caps that connect to the Amp IC, no luck, and MS-DOS seems to reset the values of the sound volume when I have the volume for the left speaker maxed out, and the right speaker volume 6 lower than the left channel after running Doom. I'm planning on making a probe to see what the issue is, and try to fix it. All of the traces are intact, so that's not the issue, but I did see some parts on the PCB that are either missing, or scraped off somehow.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 17518 of 52730, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kanecvr wrote:

Go to an auto parts store and buy some battery acid (might be sold as "car battery electrolyte") and some WD40 Contact Cleaner (not the blue can, the silver one). using a toothbrush and the battery acid, scrub the rust and oxide off the card. Don't let the acid stay on the card too long. Put some on, rub with toothbrush and rinse it off using the WD40 contact cleaner.

The battery acid (H2SO4 20% solution) inactivates the rust and the WD40 contact cleaner cleans off what's left, as well as the white acid salt deposits.

If battery electrolyte is not sold in your country get a hold of an old car battery and crack it open 😀 - or see if you can get some vitriol (H2SO4) or nitric acid (HNO3) solution from a pharmacy. Make sure they are diluted (20% for the vitriol, 10% for the nitric acid) or it will start to eat trought the copper. And use gloves.

Thanks for your advice...I think its a good idea to try a stronger acid. I have ordered some chemicals and will report 😉
Maybe it is also possible to dissolve only the solder and not the copper? Removing the corroded solder is really a pain with my cheap soldering iron...

Reply 17519 of 52730, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Dell Quietkey keyboard, more notably the RT7D5JTW variant. I've had a bunch of these I got for free but they were the non-RT7D5JTW variants. Generic rubber dome but I've read the RT7D5JTW is far better. Let's see how it is.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif