VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 1520 of 52744, by dosquest

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up a ATI 3D Rage for a couple of dollars + shipping. This is the original model released in april of 1996, but was quickly replaced with the ATI 3D Rage II in December the same year. Not the easiest card to get hold of.

but...I have 3 of these cards, I thought you said they were rare...

Doom isn't just a game, it's an apocalypse survival simulator.

Reply 1521 of 52744, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dosquest wrote:

They aren't super rare like the 3D Blaster VLB, but to find a card to a reasonable price can be a bit tricky. Why do you need 3 of this card?

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 1523 of 52744, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:
dosquest wrote:

They aren't super rare like the 3D Blaster VLB

I've got a 3d Blaster VLB on my saved search in ebay, I dont think ive ever seen one for sale.

Reply 1524 of 52744, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I picked up some stuff from a PC store down the road which has been there forever (in computer store terms) and has a nice stockpile of new old stock. I asked the old bloke who runs it if I could take a peek at his storeroom today, but no dice. He must have seen the crazy glint in my eye. Anyway I keep going back and hassling him, and slowly but surely he's producing things like this:

An AGP P4 motherboard, brand new with driver CD, etc.

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

I bought this thinking it would be a good upgrade for my current P3 Win98 machine - any issues with an AGP P4 motherboard and Windows 98?

And picked this up for novelty value more than anything else, an unopened "modem blaster", 56K of awesomeness. AND it came with the originally bundled webcam, wow:

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1525 of 52744, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tried booting up the machine I picked up. Nothing. PSU fans spin like normal, board led lights up, but no life on the drives or anything else. I'll leave the parts in my bin. I really just wanted the case anyways. I'll mess with the other stuff later.

Reply 1526 of 52744, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmofo wrote:
I picked up some stuff from a PC store down the road which has been there forever (in computer store terms) and has a nice stock […]
Show full quote

I picked up some stuff from a PC store down the road which has been there forever (in computer store terms) and has a nice stockpile of new old stock. I asked the old bloke who runs it if I could take a peek at his storeroom today, but no dice. He must have seen the crazy glint in my eye. Anyway I keep going back and hassling him, and slowly but surely he's producing things like this:

An AGP P4 motherboard, brand new with driver CD, etc.

IMG_2979.jpg

IMG_2987.jpg

I bought this thinking it would be a good upgrade for my current P3 Win98 machine - any issues with an AGP P4 motherboard and Windows 98?

And picked this up for novelty value more than anything else, an unopened "modem blaster", 56K of awesomeness. AND it came with the originally bundled webcam, wow:

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

A P4 board with RIMM would be nice (I don't have one).
You do realise your board uses SDRAm right?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1527 of 52744, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:

At risk of raining on your parade, but it's probably worth pointing out... what you have is a 400FSB-only board, which uses the mind-numbingly slow PC133 version of the 845 chipset. Depending on what sort of P3 system you have, that thing might not actually be an upgrade.

As a side note, you know that label you pictured is for a completely different board, right?

Reply 1528 of 52744, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have a fresh shot of it at the moment, but I picked up an Orchid Righteous 3dfx/Voodoo 1 for less than $30.00 on ebay. 😎 I've wanted one of these since high school.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 1529 of 52744, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AT&T Globalist 378TPC for $10 at a yard sale, the condition of the case isn't the best but inside was a massive OPTI 82c950 and modem all in one. Dated 1995 and the board has VSLI instead of the usual Intel or VIA chipsets.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 1531 of 52744, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

At risk of raining on your parade, but it's probably worth pointing out... what you have is a 400FSB-only board, which uses the mind-numbingly slow PC133 version of the 845 chipset. Depending on what sort of P3 system you have, that thing might not actually be an upgrade.

As a side note, you know that label you pictured is for a completely different board, right?

Consider my parade rained on, and no, I didn't notice that the sticker was for a different board.

My bid to be the coolest guy in internet land just suffered a considerable setback.

Reply 1533 of 52744, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got 3 identical slot 1 machines and a Phillips pro 3cm9609for free

specs :
P2-350MHz
VB-601- FIC motherboard
128MB ram
4GB Hdd
Intel 740

It was fun to work on them, they did have some problems (broken CPU fan, graphics card ,very noisy HDD, damaged motherboard port, ect).
I did manage to get one good rig out of the 3.

Reply 1534 of 52744, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You don't see those Intel 740s too often. Are they the OEM Intel ones, or third party versions?

My score of the day was an Apple Multiple Scan 15 monitor, for a dollar. I haven't tried it to see if it works... I plan to pull it apart and check it out first, since those things are notorious for problems with solder joints and failing driver transistors. It'll be nice to have an actual Apple monitor to use with my old Macs, rather than having to dick around with the little VGA adapter thingies all the time.

Reply 1536 of 52744, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Picked up these goodies:

ANHVz.jpg

486 upgrade for 386 motherboards.
Seems to be a TI 486SX2/66 grafted onto a 386 socket.

It came with a bonus: a double-sigma 386-20 😀

wwk8z.jpg

also picked up a Boxed Adlib!

LNczb.jpg
1JI9j.jpg
rXMd8.jpg

Its a 1990 model, not a 1987 model, but I got two 1987's loose already so no biggie 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.