Topic actions

Reply 14700 of 52737, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Carlos S. M. wrote:
kanecvr wrote:

Got a HDT90ZFBK6DGR Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition today. Not really retro, but a bit rare and collectible nevertheless. Phenom II X6 CPUs to be quite rare in Romania, although there's plenty of them on ebay, but a tad on the expensive side. So far I managed to snag this one for 50$, and an entry level 1055T I got a month ago for 20$. Odd that they're coming up for sale now - I've been looking for one of these for a while now with no luck.

Best part about this 1090T is it does 4GHz pretty easy. I didn't even use a fancy board for the overclock 😀 I wonder if it's even a bit competitive with today's mid-range CPUs.

I think you can outperform the FX 6300 with that OC'd Phenom, AMD Bulldozer based CPUs were known to have worse IPC than Phenom II, especially the Zambezi and Vishera FXs

The 1090T almost certainly outperforms the FX 6300 in games, especially newer ones that make heavy use of multi-core CPUs - the FX 6300 only has 3 floating point units, while the 1090T has 6. Same for the FX 83xx - it only has 4 FPUs. Also like you said, Bulldozer based CPUs were known to have worse IPC than Phenom II. I was thinking more along the lines of competing with a sandy bridge or ivy bridge core i5 (PII x6 @ 4GHz vs i5 stock). I'll run some tests once I get a decent AM3 board.

Reply 14701 of 52737, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Picked up a passive generic green 256mb Radeon 9600. No real use for it, but spare non crappy AGP cards are always welcome. + free

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 14702 of 52737, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The other Phenom CPU to look out for is the Phenom X4 965BE, Quad core 3.4ghz with unlocked multipliers I believe at stock speeds it was a better gaming CPU than the X6 1090T.

edit: Funny when you look back at some old forum posts where people say "just buy an i5 system", Back in 09 I purchased a DDR2 Asus board with support for 140W cpus but only purchased a X2-5000+ with 2gig of DDR2-800 that was a cheap upgrade, I upgraded the CPU 4 or 5 years later to the X4 965BE one thing I always liked about AMD was the ability to buy good cheap boards and bundle it with a cheap well performing cpu.
You could always upgrade to a much better cpu, the CHEAP systems always seemed to favour amd for my liking and upgrade the cpu to something better later on.

Last edited by dirkmirk on 2016-11-14, 10:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14703 of 52737, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dirkmirk wrote:

The other Phenom CPU to look out for is the Phenom X4 965BE, Quad core 3.4ghz with unlocked multipliers I believe at stock speeds it was a better gaming CPU than the X6 1090T.

Great CPU, good to see people being interested in Phenom II. It's interesting, for some reason the high end Core 2 Quad processors sell for an absolute fortune. AFAIK the Phenom II performs on a similar level.

Also consider the dual core BE chips. I have a 555 X2 and it fully unlocks all 4 cores 😀

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14704 of 52737, by Carlos S. M.

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:

edit: Funny when you look back at some old forum posts where people say "just buy an i5 system", Back in 09 I purchased a DDR2 Asus board with support for 140W cpus but only purchased a X2-5000+ with 2gig of DDR2-800 that was a cheap upgrade, I upgraded the CPU 4 or 5 years later to the X4 965BE one thing I always liked about AMD was the ability to buy good cheap boards and bundle it with a cheap well performing cpu.
You could always upgrade to a much better cpu, the CHEAP systems always seemed to favour amd for my liking and upgrade the cpu to something better later on.

Aparently, on the 7-Zip bechmark thread, an OC'd (+4 ghz) Phenom II x6 destroys any i5 and olders i7s like almost all Bloomfiled/Lynnfield i7s, not even the 6600K is nonwhere as good as that overclocked Phenom, 7-Zip is multithread though, you need a highly OC'd Nehalem i7, sightly OC'd Sandy Bridge i7 or a newer i7 to outperform an OC'd Phenom II x6 in 7-zip, Extreme editions like Gulftown or Sandy Bridge-E i7s already outperforms the Phenom II X6 OC'd or not

What is your biggest Pentium 4 Collection?
Socket 423/478 Motherboards with Universal AGP Slot
Socket 478 Motherboards with PCI-E Slots
LGA 775 Motherboards with AGP Slots
Experiences and thoughts with Socket 423 systems

Reply 14705 of 52737, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PhilsComputerLab wrote:
dirkmirk wrote:

Great CPU, good to see people being interested in Phenom II. It's interesting, for some reason the high end Core 2 Quad processors sell for an absolute fortune. AFAIK the Phenom II performs on a similar level.

Also consider the dual core BE chips. I have a 555 X2 and it fully unlocks all 4 cores 😀

I think Phenom II is fantastic, been using a BE 955 3.2GHz which I bought new and this one definitely is a keeper 😁

I personally also liked the faster newer x2 parts (over 3GHz). These were rediculously cheap I think and the AM3 platform meant flexible platform (unlike the many more CPU sockets Intel put into this world 'recently').

Weren't these AM3 CPUs Multi unlocked downwards anyway? I can't try it out quick as my currently only running AM3 system has the Phenom II 🤣

ODwilly wrote:

Picked up a passive generic green 256mb Radeon 9600. No real use for it, but spare non crappy AGP cards are always welcome. + free

You mean one like this one?
http://www.vgamuseum.info/images/zaatharen/at … eon9600_fhq.jpg
I absolutely loved these. They were sometimes kinda glitchy but performance and stability was good.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14706 of 52737, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea, I believe they are unlocked downwards, the Black Edition are also unlocked upwards.

Reply 14707 of 52737, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, I was wondering if a Vogoner got that bunch. What are your plans with them? I feel like it's half the supply of Voodoo4/5 in our little country 😉

meljor wrote:
Bought a bunch of 3dfx cards, i hope they arrive today. 17 in total, 1 defective one, 16 working. Rush,Banshee,Voodoo1, voodoo3 […]
Show full quote

Bought a bunch of 3dfx cards, i hope they arrive today. 17 in total, 1 defective one, 16 working. Rush,Banshee,Voodoo1, voodoo3 boxed, voodoo3 tv, voodoo4 and voodoo5 cards should all be in the package.
Some will be added to my collection, some will be sold.

I'm missing an arm right now but it should've cost a leg too so i'm alright 🤣

Fingers crossed it comes today and undamaged!

1982 to 2001

Reply 14708 of 52737, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a whole bunch of cards last week, this is them in more detail. I like that some cards are Diamond branded, even thought they are mostly simple S3's. I always get the nameless ones. Graphic cards first, the rest in other posts 😀

Trident PCI (Yay! 😉)
g460E2il.jpg?1

I always like the OAK logo on these:
w61l8hLl.jpg?1

Another Trident, but this one is and ISA:
iFGaUFIl.jpg

S3 Trio64V+:
R7JeV5ul.jpg

Matrox Millenium 4MB MIL2P/4I:
gHXzMLLl.jpg?1

Diamond Stealth II G460 SDRAM AGP:
C6E4KKql.jpg

Diamond Stealth SE S3 Trio32 PCI:
fBEU6Qal.jpg?1

Diamond Stealth 64 DRAM S3 Trio64 PCI:
gukHcCQl.jpg

And finally this Tamarack RY-3301 Hercules card. I have almost zero knowledge on this era, is it any good?
2m6R2F0l.jpg?1
jvODec5l.jpg

Last edited by Cyrix200+ on 2016-11-14, 12:36. Edited 1 time in total.

1982 to 2001

Reply 14709 of 52737, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dirkmirk wrote:

Yup, I found a cheap one locally but I'm out of retro funds for the time being.

PhilsComputerLab wrote:

Not really... the phemom II line is faster then the Core 2 line, especially in games. It also supports SATA-3 and USB 3.0 (on AM3+), it has a on-die memory controller with exponentially better DDR3 support, and a faster PCI-E to CPU bus. Overall it's just a superior CPU. They were supposed to beat the Core 2 Quad series but as usual came out too late, with the first phenom being un-impressive, as well as the whole AM2+ platform. The Phenom II x6 comes close to the original i7, but it's still slower clock per clock. It actually needed the two extra cores and a big MHz boost to compete with the 920, 930 and alike - and it did, but it was too expensive. I remember the X6 costing allmost as much as a 920. Mainboards were cheaper tough. Also, most games of the time really only used 2 cores, witch made it worse for the phenom II line.

It's interesting how much better the Phenom II line performs on a hig-end modern AM3+ motherboard with all the amenities. They make for great cheap gaming PCs.

Reply 14710 of 52737, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Deksor wrote:

There is some stuff that I didn't showed (2.88 floppy drives, a few HDDs, a few cards), but yeah very nice haul IMO 🤣

Are these the IBM ones or do these have standard PC interface?

I haven't seen any 2.88 drive in the wild in ages!

Report spammers here!

Reply 14711 of 52737, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kanecvr wrote:

Not really... the phemom II line is faster then the Core 2 line, especially in games.

Really it's a wash, they are both great processors to have. I'd be surprised if there is much of a difference between a Wolfdale and a Phenom II X2.

AM3+ for retro gaming I'm well aware, been mentioning it for a long time, you don't have to tell me 😀

Reply 14712 of 52737, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Continuing from my previous post:

SoundBlaster AWE64:
tbXBLTGl.jpg?1

ISA Interface card:
niNrso9l.jpg?1

Another ISA Interface card (I need a VLB one dang it!):
tWt0ABol.jpg

Two modems and the seller also threw in some ISA/PCI raisers from a Compaq system and a Tulip system. I have no idea wht to do with the raisers. Maybe practice my (de)soldering skills?
Cs5inthl.jpg?1

Four ISA 3Com 3C509 cards, two with Token Ring (I think?)
okgf9all.jpg?1

Realtek 10/100 NIC PCI:
45QkhpQl.jpg?1

1982 to 2001

Reply 14713 of 52737, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:

Ah, I was wondering if a Vogoner got that bunch. What are your plans with them? I feel like it's half the supply of Voodoo4/5 in our little country 😉

meljor wrote:
Bought a bunch of 3dfx cards, i hope they arrive today. 17 in total, 1 defective one, 16 working. Rush,Banshee,Voodoo1, voodoo3 […]
Show full quote

Bought a bunch of 3dfx cards, i hope they arrive today. 17 in total, 1 defective one, 16 working. Rush,Banshee,Voodoo1, voodoo3 boxed, voodoo3 tv, voodoo4 and voodoo5 cards should all be in the package.

Ofcourse it was a vogoner! Are there more retro crazy hoarders? 🤣 I have no exact plans. I collect them and use them. I have a lot of ''backups''. Maybe i trade some, maybe i sell some. For now i need to make some choices first: i have over 60! 3dfx cards now 😊

I only went for the voodoo4 ''L'' card and the boxed voodoo3 but he didn't want to sell the cards seperately so i bought the whole lot 😎 I tested them and they all work except for the 2 voodoo rush cards. All v5's etc. are fine fortunately.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 14714 of 52737, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
meljor wrote:
Cyrix200+ wrote:

meljor wrote:
Show full quote

Ofcourse it was a vogoner! Are there more retro crazy hoarders? 🤣 I have no exact plans. I collect them and use them. I have a lot of ''backups''. Maybe i trade some, maybe i sell some. For now i need to make some choices first: i have over 60! 3dfx cards now 😊 .

Congrats on your new aquisitions 😁
60 3dfx cards is a whole lot, nicely done! Yup, one can never have too many spares........right? 🤣

meljor wrote:

I only went for the voodoo4 ''L'' card and the boxed voodoo3 but he didn't want to sell the cards seperately so i bought the whole lot 😎 I tested them and they all work except for the 2 voodoo rush cards. All v5's etc. are fine fortunately.

This sounds a bit like how I used to get parts. In the long run this is probably the cheapest way and one gets lots of diversity in one's collection.

Report spammers here!

Reply 14715 of 52737, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Four ISA 3Com 3C509 cards, two with Token Ring (I think?) http://i.imgur.com/okgf9all.jpg?1 […]
Show full quote

okgf9all.jpg?1

The DB-15 port is there for MAU's, a type of external transceivers: 😀
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Attachment_Unit
http://tech.mattmillman.com/projects/10base5/

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 14716 of 52737, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Tetrium: Well 60+ is a bit much, even for me 😵 But they don't eat so i'll see what i'll do with them. Most stay anyway. STILL searching for a 4500 pci! Never found one in NL.

It is indeed the best way to buy as you almost never can go wrong. It is worth more and you get to keep what you need for yourself 😈

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 14717 of 52737, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:
The DB-15 port is there for MAU's, a type of external transceivers: :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Attachment_Unit http […]
Show full quote
Cyrix200+ wrote:
Four ISA 3Com 3C509 cards, two with Token Ring (I think?) http://i.imgur.com/okgf9all.jpg?1 […]
Show full quote

okgf9all.jpg?1

The DB-15 port is there for MAU's, a type of external transceivers: 😀
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_Attachment_Unit
http://tech.mattmillman.com/projects/10base5/

Correct. It's an AUI port. They're typical of routers of this period as well, allowing conversion to copper or fiber media.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14718 of 52737, by chose007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

got xx kg new things, some new some old ... I made photo of some

s478 P4 EE

DSCF4486_resize_zpsmivv2gzf.jpg

ECS Xabre 200

DSCF4469_resize_zpslwesigxe.jpg

GW FX5900 XT

DSCF4472_resize_zpstpzvxbs2.jpg

Hercules G256 SDR

DSCF4475_resize_zpsug40lf9c.jpg

OCZ DDR1 433

DSCF4478_resize_zps2rdra4j8.jpg

MSI 3Dfx V3 onboard, looks kaput but will see

DSCF4487_resize_zpsdadkv1ax.jpg

GB s478 i850

DSCF4489_resize_zpsowil8io6.jpg

Hercules R8500 LE

DSCF4490_resize_zpskgo6ldof.jpg

Mach64 PCI

DSCF4492_resize_zpsyfeqqxuo.jpg

lot of Tridents PCI

DSCF4493_resize_zpsnloan8oi.jpg

DSCF4494_resize_zpszlmdrfty.jpg

DSCF4495_resize_zpssnbyqprn.jpg

big old modem + big some grab card

DSCF4497_resize_zps8dcysm9x.jpg

old network stuff

DSCF4498_resize_zpsdsyotgup.jpg

DSCF4499_resize_zpsu8fejnl9.jpg

second 7900 GTX Duo so can make SLI ... of course cards probably death like 90% these days so only for watch 😀

DSCF4500_resize_zpsnxy0chgt.jpg

DSCF4501_resize_zpsd6ukzyzq.jpg

DSCF4504_resize_zpseovbh4tr.jpg

Calibri-90-YT-banner-resize.jpg * Calibri-90-resize-resize.jpg

Reply 14719 of 52737, by melbar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chose007 wrote:

MSI 3Dfx V3 onboard, looks kaput but will see

Nice board !!! Have a MSI board with similar layout, but ATI instead of 3dfx onboard, and S370 instead of slot 1.

#1 K6-2/500, #2 Athlon1200, #3 Celeron1000A, #4 A64-3700, #5 P4HT-3200, #6 P4-2800, #7 Am486DX2-66