VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 24780 of 52680, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had to drive all the way across the country for this small country though but it was worth it:

full.png

1984 vintage Olivetti M24. In extremely good external condition. And booting. With RTC still OK according to post 😲

8086-8
RAM apparently maxed to 640k
HDD present (most likely an ST-225)

I was looking for another working ST-506 drive, a monochrome monitor and had been fascinated reading about stamasd's adventures with ROM images in an XT. All pricey and/or hard to come by. And then I saw this. Amazingly it had been available on the local craigslist-variant for two months for a very low price with clear photographs and description, but absolutely no interest (despite people normally descending on any <Pentium stuff like a pack of rabid wolves). The only drawback: despite being famed for being one of the most PC compatible of the early clones in terms of software, hardware is a different story entirely. Particularly the keyboard, with both a different pinout and protocol to either PC, XT or AT. And guess what the seller didn't have...

Still, it seems to work, the machine is exceptionally well-documented, and there's something of a community for these things (and I have an Italian friend who is also marginally into vintage hw and can help with translation if needed) so I'll either source a keyboard or figure out some kind of converter soon enough 😀

Reply 24781 of 52680, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Dreamblaster X2 arrives today. Is it considered retro? 😀

X2.jpg

Last edited by Srandista on 2021-01-30, 15:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 24782 of 52680, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not exactly my definition of retro but still a wonderful piece of hardware.

@dionb: That Olivetti looks suspiciously clean and almost new from the oustide. You sure there's not some kind of a RetroPi inside pretending to be an ancient Olivetti? 😁

Reply 24783 of 52680, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
blurks wrote:

@dionb: That Olivetti looks suspiciously clean and almost new from the oustide. You sure there's not some kind of a RetroPi inside pretending to be an ancient Olivetti? 😁

If it is, it's incredibly well-disguised:

full.png

full.png

Just as improbably clean inside as it is outside. That battery has to go though - although given the motherboard is upside-down, it might not kill the board if it started seriously leaking.
There is dust, OLD dust everywhere that has significant airflow, just very, very small amounts of it. It's as if this machine was used in some kind of clean room or something...

Did encounter one bit of hardware I'd never even heard of before:
full.png

Inputs:
- floppy edge connector (from the B position on the cable to the regular FDD
- Molex power

Outputs:
- two 34p flatcables, one with a single pair of edge/pin connectors, the other going to a DC37 external floppy connector.
- Mini-Molex power, with a short cable leading to another Molex male connector, powering the HDD.

It looks like some kind of FDD multiplexer or switch, but there are no identifying brands/names/numbers on it to help search. I can understand wanting to use an external FDD, but given the other cable didn't have anything connected (and didn't look like it ever had) I don't see why this setup was chosen instead of just using a single cable connecting from the B position to the external connector. Anyone have an idea?

Other interesting discovery: this machine is a 1984 design, but built in August 1987. That explains the full loadout of 640k and 20MB HDD (NEC, not Seagate as it turns out). It also means this wasn't a really old, really high-end machine, but a quite low-end option by the time it was shipped.

Reply 24785 of 52680, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote:
Had to drive all the way across the country for this small country though but it was worth it: […]
Show full quote

Had to drive all the way across the country for this small country though but it was worth it:

full.png

1984 vintage Olivetti M24. In extremely good external condition. And booting. With RTC still OK according to post 😲

8086-8
RAM apparently maxed to 640k
HDD present (most likely an ST-225)

I was looking for another working ST-506 drive, a monochrome monitor and had been fascinated reading about stamasd's adventures with ROM images in an XT. All pricey and/or hard to come by. And then I saw this. Amazingly it had been available on the local craigslist-variant for two months for a very low price with clear photographs and description, but absolutely no interest (despite people normally descending on any <Pentium stuff like a pack of rabid wolves). The only drawback: despite being famed for being one of the most PC compatible of the early clones in terms of software, hardware is a different story entirely. Particularly the keyboard, with both a different pinout and protocol to either PC, XT or AT. And guess what the seller didn't have...

Still, it seems to work, the machine is exceptionally well-documented, and there's something of a community for these things (and I have an Italian friend who is also marginally into vintage hw and can help with translation if needed) so I'll either source a keyboard or figure out some kind of converter soon enough 😀

Nice find - I have one myself (and another one with just the case) - posted it a while ago in the same thread: Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Reply 24786 of 52680, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

^^ man, that thing looks mint. I really like the grey case with matching monitor & black drives - pure class.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 24787 of 52680, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My money is on a external floppy adapter. some external drives pull power from the big d-37 connector. So there needs to be some way to inject power into that cable.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 24788 of 52680, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yet another mysterious Yamaha CD-ROM, sealed this time:

midradio cdrom.jpg
Filename
midradio cdrom.jpg
File size
85.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm not sure what it contains besides the Midradio browser plugin...

Reply 24793 of 52680, by sketchus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Picked this up a few days ago:

6z06tvY.jpg

It's an Iiyama Visionmaster 455. Spotless condition and from what I gather low usage. Still getting used to the OSD.

I had sort of written off getting a CRT monitor again because I had sort of settled on LCDs being good enough. That said, its crazy how much better CRTs scale with lower resolutions. 800x600 looks fantastic on this thing.

Reply 24794 of 52680, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For lower resolutions, CRTs are pretty awesome, especially a Trinitron/Diamondtron screen.
I used to have the earlier model, the Iiyama Vision Master Pro 450 - awesome monitor but it was heavy my desk was bowed in the middle from it. That weighs somewhere around 30kgs if I remember correctly?

Reply 24795 of 52680, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
m1chelsen wrote:
Yesterday i was lucky to pickup a lot of hardware :) […]
Show full quote

Yesterday i was lucky to pickup a lot of hardware 😀

39294921_10217458297914491_7021884290413625344_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=63b369500f5cdb8c8a8c29be5e5e3f42&oe=5C0DA803
39386956_10217458298674510_6566379824439361536_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=7816958afc739510eb5be71512110b9b&oe=5BF8FC78

You could make furniture out of that, like the person did with Fedex boxes. Any highlights so far?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 24796 of 52680, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

An AT system, containing this Socket 3 Motherboard!

VLB + PCI, Dallas RTC is socketed! AMD DX100 underneath the cooler.

P_20180818_191956.jpg
Filename
P_20180818_191956.jpg
File size
590.4 KiB
Views
File license

Right now I cannot get it to post. Get 2 beeps and no video signal. Tried several video cards. Could anyone help me identify this board for a manual? I cannot find any ID numbers

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 24797 of 52680, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today i went to the local fleamarket and this is what i got:

ATI Rage 3D Pro Turbo:

DSCF2877.JPG
Filename
DSCF2877.JPG
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license

Normally i'm not interested in AGP cards but for 1.50$ you can't complain.

Yamaha OPL3-SA (MF718) sound card:

DSCF2884.JPG
Filename
DSCF2884.JPG
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license

I initially passed on this one because it looked like a crappy budget no-name OEM sound card. But after a quick check on the internet i saw these were actually pretty good cards made by Yamaha that have proper OPL3 FM synthesis and feature a waveblaster header. So i had to come back and get it. I'm curious whether this is going to sound better than my Vibra 16S which are known to be a bit noisy.

A couple of AMD CPUs:

DSCF2880.JPG
Filename
DSCF2880.JPG
File size
1.27 MiB
Views
File license
DSCF2887.JPG
Filename
DSCF2887.JPG
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license

Was looking for exactly a K6-II 400AFR on eBay last week and in my excitement from finding one in the wild i didn't notice that it had about 7 bent pins and 2 missing ones - CRAP. Once i got home i straightened the pins out with fine tweezers. Checking the datasheet, one of them is a No-Connect (phew) and the other is one of a few VCC2 pins so it should be able to boot.

DSCF2882.JPG
Filename
DSCF2882.JPG
File size
638.84 KiB
Views
File license

And it did boot - motherboard says it's an AMD (Unknown) with a clock speed of PR♠ 🙄 (probably needs a BIOS update). The computer hangs at "Checking NVRAM" now, but it did so even after i put back the Pentium that was in there, so it's probably an unrelated issue. Do any of you think the missing VCC pin is going to cause problems? Also the motherboard supports a minimum Vcore of 2.5V instead of the 2.2V the K6-II is designed for but it boots so... it's probably fine? I'd love to get a trash CPU like this to work again.

Reply 24798 of 52680, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nprod wrote:

T

DSCF2882.JPG

And it did boot - motherboard says it's an AMD (Unknown) with a clock speed of PR♠ 🙄 (probably needs a BIOS update). The computer hangs at "Checking NVRAM" now, but it did so even after i put back the Pentium that was in there, so it's probably an unrelated issue. Do any of you think the missing VCC pin is going to cause problems? Also the motherboard supports a minimum Vcore of 2.5V instead of the 2.2V the K6-II is designed for but it boots so... it's probably fine? I'd love to get a trash CPU like this to work again.

Which board do you have? Chances are it has undocumented jumper settings so it could go lower on the CPU voltage.

I wouldn't recommend running a K6-II at 2.5v though.
If your board really cannot go lower then 2.5v, and if your board uses a linear voltage regulator, the voltage regulator may overheat.

K6-II/400 isn't really a rare or hard to find CPU though, so it's at least somewhat expendable. I'm not sure how hard this stuff is to come by these days.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 24799 of 52680, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's a PCChips M571 and it really can't go below 2.5V, at least my revision which is 3.2. The 3.2A and 7.0 ones can do it. The motherboard is pretty well documented. I doubt the regulator would overheat as it's designed to go that low. Rather it's the CPU that should run hotter as i'd essentially be "overclocking" it. So unless the regulator cant do CPUs with ~30W TDP it would be ok. I could look for an AHX variant that's meant for 2.4V, but their power consumption is also in the 25-30W range. If it runs too hot maybe a slight underclock would balance things out? They're not hard to come by, but when you look for a very specific model your option is usually eBay where the prices are heavily inflated.